Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineEnantiodrome
Wanderer
Male

Loc: Here
Writing a Grow Instruction Manual
    #17899745 - 03/03/13 08:58 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

I am writing a 10 page step-by-step instruction manual for my Technical Writing class on growing mushrooms. I plan to outline a simple brown rice PF Tek cake method with wide-mouth jars. Nothing too fancy, just the minimum requirements explained as simply and concisely as possible. (a simpleton should be able to follow it to completion).

As i do this assignment, i will post my progress and I would love to gather constructive input from you guys on making this manual as accurate and useful as possible. And id be glad to post the final draft for anyone interested in seeing it.

My manual should consist of:

1. a comprehensive list of required materials (as well as where to find them)

2. Instructions for constructing the fruiting chamber and other
apparatuses

3. Instructions for jar preparation, inoculation, colonization, dunk n'roll, FC transfer,

4. Growth Maintenance guidelines

5. Sterility and cleanliness guidelines

--------------------
Enantiodromia - The process by which something is transformed into or revealed as being the same as its opposite.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Writing a Grow Instruction Manual [Re: Enantiodrome]
    #17899846 - 03/03/13 09:10 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Tech writing is fun.  Watch the commas.  Watch for wordy sentences.  Write on a 4th grade level.

The last is really the key.  If you can decipher a procedure to where a 4th grader can read and understand it you've done your job.

Be sure to use/write about oyster mushrooms which do fine on brf cakes.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

InvisibleFrankHorrigan
The Inquisition
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Writing a Grow Instruction Manual [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #17899926 - 03/03/13 09:23 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
Tech writing is fun.  Watch the commas.  Watch for wordy sentences.  Write on a 4th grade level.

The last is really the key.  If you can decipher a procedure to where a 4th grader can read and understand it you've done your job.

Be sure to use/write about oyster mushrooms which do fine on brf cakes.
RR

:whathesaid:
I'd love to assist, PM me if you have any questions :wink:

--------------------

Yes, you can bump my old threads with a question.
Here is how I get things done.
You should take a look. :hehehe:

Frank's tips and tricks. Updated on 3/21/14
AMU- Get an answer here -AMU

OfflineMycologist217
Frank's Disciple
Male User Gallery

Loc: Man of the Moon
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Writing a Grow Instruction Manual [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #17899971 - 03/03/13 09:31 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Half Pint Wide Mouth Canning Jars (Hardware Stores: Ace Hardware)
Fine Grade Vermiculite (Garden Supply Store Home Depot, Lowes)
Perlite (Garden supply stores, Home Depot Lowes)
All Natural Brown Rice Flour (Organic Grocery Stores- Can be made with whole grain brown rice and a coffee grinder)
Aluminum Foil
A Stock Pot
A Drill
Medical Tape or Masking Tape
70% Isopropyl Alcohol
Alcohol Lamp (can home make)
Mixing Bowl and Spoon
Plastic Storage Bins (one large translucent one with tight fitting lid)
Paper Towels
Prepared spore syringes.
Glovebox (can homemake)

--------------------
My LC Manual (With custom LC lid Tek) ~~ Required Mycology Supplies ~~ Agar Work Videos ~~ L G M
AMU Q&A-NO SYMPATHY FOR THE DEVIL! KEEP THAT IN MIND! BUY THE TICKET: TAKE THE RIDE

Check out my Retail Gourmet Mushroom Farm!

Mycologist217 is a fictitious entity that uses images supplied by Google to mask his/her inability to develop normal social habits.

InvisibleFrankHorrigan
The Inquisition
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Writing a Grow Instruction Manual [Re: Mycologist217]
    #17899987 - 03/03/13 09:33 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Mycologist217 said:
Fine Grade Any grade Vermiculite (Garden Supply Store Home Depot, Lowes)
All Natural Brown Rice Flour (Organic Grocery Stores- Can be made with whole grain brown rice and a coffee grinder)
Aluminum Foil
A Stock Pot
A Drill
Medical Tape or Masking Tape no need with PF tek, use open holes and dry verm layer.
70% Isopropyl Alcohol
Mixing Bowl and Spoon
Paper Towels
Prepared spore syringes.
Glovebox Still-air box (can homemake)

I made a couple corrections :wink:

--------------------

OfflineEnantiodrome
Wanderer
Male

Re: Writing a Grow Instruction Manual [Re: FrankHorrigan]
    #17900300 - 03/03/13 10:37 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Ok guys here is my list thus far. please let me know if im missing anything important. Divided into 3 categories they are Sterilization, Jar prep, and Fruiting Chamber Materials

Sterilization Materials:
1. Latex Gloves
2. shot glass (for sterilizing flame)
3. Isopropyl Alcohol
4. Lighter - Bic pocket lighter will suffice
5. Paper Towels
6. Lysol Disinfectant Spray

Substrate Colinization materials:
0. Mushroom Spore Solution containing Syringe - ordered from various online vendors
1. 6-8 Half Pint - (8 ounces) - (250 milliliters) Wide Mouth Canning Jars with lids. must have tapered sides.  (Brands: Kerr or Ball)
2. Ice pick and Hammer (for punching needle holes in the jar lids)
3. Mixing Bowl and Spoon
4. Measuring cups
8. Organic brown rice flour -(organic food stores)
9. Horticultural vermiculite (medium or fine grade - not powdery)
10. Distilled or filtered water
11. Aluminum foil
12. Large pot for steaming/ or pressure cooker
13. Infrared light source

Fruiting Chamber/Terrarium Setup Materials
1. Large Transparent plastic storage container with Tight removable lid (FC)
2. Drill (for drilling holes in fc)
3. Perlite (Garden supply stores, Home Depot Lowes)
4. Florescent lightbulb
5. Heating Pad
6. Small Automatic Fan
7. Spray bottle with adjustable nozzle. Should spray a fine mist
8. Small thermometer/Humidity Gauge

--------------------
Enantiodromia - The process by which something is transformed into or revealed as being the same as its opposite.

OfflineEnantiodrome
Wanderer
Male

#17900403 - 03/03/13 10:58 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Does anyone have a good estimation for the timeline of the grow? Ill need to list the general duration for colinization, pinning, and fruiting. I know this info depends, but a good rough estimate is important.

--------------------

OfflinecronicrFacebook
 User Gallery

Loc: Van Isle Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #17900525 - 03/03/13 11:27 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

i'd say for pf jars 6 weeks is a good outline to expect to be done that would allow for a couple weeks to germinate,3 weeks to colonize, and one to consolidate.

--------------------

It doesn't matter what i think of you...all that matters is clean spawn

I'm tired do me a favor

InvisibleMr.D
Mad Mycologist
Male

Loc: 1955 Flag
Re: Writing a Grow Instruction Manual [Re: cronicr]
    #17900534 - 03/03/13 11:30 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

all of my tubs start pinning on the 10th day after being introduced into fruiting conditions, this has been constant for the last 2 years, thought you might want to know that one.

the whole thing should take about 2 months max start to finish, 3-4 weeks for colonization, 1-2 weeks for colonization of substrate , about 10 days to see pins , then another 5 -7 days for harvest.

--------------------
There was never a genius without a tincture of madness.
                                                          ~Trade List~

Edited by Mr.D (03/03/13 11:33 PM)

InvisibleFrankHorrigan
The Inquisition
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Writing a Grow Instruction Manual [Re: Mr.D]
    #17900585 - 03/03/13 11:42 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Mr.D said:
all of my tubs start pinning on the 10th day after being introduced into fruiting conditions, this has been constant for the last 2 years, thought you might want to know that one.

the whole thing should take about 2 months max start to finish, 3-4 weeks for colonization, 1-2 weeks for colonization of substrate , about 10 days to see pins , then another 5 -7 days for harvest.

For bulk, sure, but he's doing a PF tek grow manual.

PS. Try mixing your tubs evenly (no top layer) and dunking your grains before spawning, you can expect to have a monotub fully colonized at 72F in 4-6 days :awesomenod:

--------------------

InvisibleMr.D
Mad Mycologist
Male

Loc: 1955 Flag
    #17900619 - 03/03/13 11:53 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

yea ive been watching your ¨dunk your grains¨ thread, im gonna try it next batch see how it goes, ill be sure to post on your thread, thanks frank:thumbup:

--------------------
There was never a genius without a tincture of madness.
                                                          ~Trade List~

InvisibleFrankHorrigan
The Inquisition
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Writing a Grow Instruction Manual [Re: Mr.D]
    #17900637 - 03/03/13 11:59 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Mr.D said:
yea ive been watching your ¨dunk your grains¨ thread, im gonna try it next batch see how it goes, ill be sure to post on your thread, thanks frank:thumbup:

No problem. I think you will like the results.
Be sure to post your trial in the thread! :wink:

--------------------

OfflineEnantiodrome
Wanderer
Male

#17900659 - 03/04/13 12:06 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

very nice, ill make sure to get those details in.

heres my table of contents:

Table of Contents

Introduction
So you want to grow mushrooms eh?
What it Takes
Project Considerations.
Safety Disclaimer

List of Required Materials

Sterilization Materials
Colonization Materials
Fruiting Chamber Materials

Step 1: The Grow Area

Picking your grow room
Conditional Considerations

Step 2: Sterilization
Contamination
Cleaning Materials and Practices

Step 3: Colonization
Jar Preparation
Substrate Preparation
Mushroom Spore Inoculation
Incubation

Step 4: The Fruiting Chamber
Construction

Step 5: Growth Initiation
Dunking and Rolling
Transfer
Pinning

Step 6: Maintenance
Temperature and Humidity
Fresh Air Exchange
Light Cycles
Vigilance

Troubleshooting
Contamination and Aborts

Conclusion
Success and Failure
Supplementary Information

--------------------

Invisibletoxetel
׀ǝʇǝxoʇ ●

#17904804 - 03/04/13 07:35 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Sounds like a fun paper to write! I, for one, would love to see the final product. If you do a nice job writing it, it may be a useful tek to link new cultivators to!

I like your table of contents. I would consider adding a section near the beginning in which you outline the life cycle of mushrooms. That way, you can explain how you facilitate each of the steps as you go.

I have a few remarks about your bill of materials:

Spore syringes for edible mushrooms are not easy to find. Usually, people growing edible, medicinal, or other legal mushrooms start with a syringe full of liquid culture they buy online. The reason people typically start growing actives with spores instead of LC is that active LC can't be legally purchased. On the other hand, there is something nice about taking the reader through the entire life cycle of the organism. At least mention that starting with spores is atypical.

Also, there's no need for distilled or filtered water. Regular tap water does fine. When making the cakes, the water gets sterilized with the rest of the substrate. And when dunking and misting, you're dealing with fully colonized cakes, which are resistant to contamination.

What's the infrared light source for? If it's for heating the jars as they colonize, I'd leave that out. Room temperature is fine for colonization.

Automatic fan? What's an automatic fan?

And what's the heating pad about? As with colonization, fruiting at room temperature should be fine.

OfflineEnantiodrome
Wanderer
Male

Re: Writing a Grow Instruction Manual [Re: toxetel]
    #17904944 - 03/04/13 08:01 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

i appreciate your input. Ill make sure to make a brief statement about the life cycle somewhere in the beginning. But with this manual, i wont be going into alot of detail about the science behind cultivating. This manual is for concise instructions for people who want to jump right in. So I will provide small clarifications of the process as i go along - such as explaining co2 buildup during the terrarium construction stage. These will be more like side comments than in-depth explanations.

You are right about the distilled water, but i planned on instructing to use the same water for misting the cakes. in this case, i think we'd want to keep the water pure. 

The infrared light is for checking to see if the jars are fully colonized, as other light could initiate pinning prematurely. (its happened to me tons of times)

i mean automatic fan as opposed to a hand held manual fan (like a geisha would use haha) perhaps i should clarify that better in my manual. 

the heating pad is just in case temp levels fall below optimal conditions. ive always kept the balance using a combination of fans, misting, lights, and heating pads.

i encourage everyone to recommend better ways to articulate my info. The clearer it is for an inexperienced audience, the better.

--------------------

OfflineEnantiodrome
Wanderer
Male

#17905016 - 03/04/13 08:15 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Here is my work for the 1st step, the grow area. Check it out and lemme know what i could make better.

Picking your grow room
Once you’ve gathered all the necessary materials, you’re ready to pick the place to grow your mushrooms. Mushrooms cannot grow just anywhere. In nature, mushrooms grow in places of delicate ecological complexity, interacting with many parts of its environment. This is too difficult for the beginner cultivator to recreate. Instead, indoor growers must use a small area so that the environment can be easily maintained. Small, enclosed rooms such as closets, pantries, and sheds are ideal.

Conditional Considerations
Things that should influence your decision when picking a grow area are:

Enclosure – Your grow room should be fairly small and blocked off from outside interference. A room with frequent traffic or airflow may disrupt the balance of conditions. Also, an enclosed room allows for stable heat insulation.
Temperature and Power – Your grow room must be able to support a stable temperature between 72 -78 degrees Fahrenheit. This is achieved by using heating pads, lights, and fans. These devices will require a power source such as an electrical outlet or extension cord nearby. 
Cleanliness – Your grow area must have clean air and surfaces. Anything in the room that may harbor germs, bacteria, mold, parasites, or other contaminants must be removed or sterilized. This includes any food stuffs, clothes, carpet, etc. Sterilization Techniques will be covered in the next section.

--------------------

OfflineEnantiodrome
Wanderer
Male

#17905122 - 03/04/13 08:33 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Heres my work for Stage 2: Sterilization. Check it out

Stage 2
Sterilization

Contamination

The biggest challenge to face when cultivating mushrooms is contamination. A contaminant is any organism that can infect a mushroom culture. They range from various species of bacterium, fungus, mold, viruses, parasites, and insects. These invaders can take over the grow environment and cause your project to fail. Thus, it is vitally important to keep your grow area sterilized and free from foreign organisms. Because this is so important, it will be a recurring theme throughout this manual. Using the sterilization materials listed on the List of Required Materials page, you will need to thoroughly sterilize your grow area before starting the colonization process. 

To begin, follow these steps:
1. Clear your grow area of any unnecessary items
2. Take a shower and put on fresh clothes
3. Put on latex gloves and dust mask
4. Using a clean rag, wipe down all reachable surfaces with isopropyl alcohol
5. Spray Lysol Disinfectant Spray all around the room, leave the room, and close the door.
6. Leave the room alone for 5-10 minutes
7. Bring all of your project materials into your grow room, and wipe them down with isopropyl alcohol. Make sure to include the inside of the storage container and the outside of the bags of vermiculite, perlite, etc.
8. Repeat steps 5 and 6

Important Note: From now on, be sure to enter your grow room only if you’re confident that you will not introduce any foreign contaminants into the room. Take showers often. Wear fresh clothes, gloves, and your dust mask when you enter. Also, spray Lysol upon leaving the room to keep contamination risks down.

--------------------

OfflineBovineScattologist
Male

#17905157 - 03/04/13 08:38 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

I too would be curious to read the final product.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #17905248 - 03/04/13 08:54 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

FrankHorrigan said:
Quote:

Mycologist217 said:
Fine Grade Any grade Vermiculite (Garden Supply Store Home Depot, Lowes)
Aluminum Foil
A Stock Pot
A Drill
Medical Tape or Masking Tape no need with PF tek, use open holes and dry verm layer.
70% Isopropyl Alcohol
Mixing Bowl and Spoon
Paper Towels
Prepared spore syringes.
Glovebox Still-air box (can homemake)

I made a couple corrections :wink:

Incorrect ones.  He had it right.

Fine verm is far superior.  It holds more moisture, thus the mixture is slightly dry which results in faster colonization.  In addition, since vermiculite is the filter, fine verm has more surface area for the air to pass through, resulting in better filtering.

Tape over the holes protects the verm below from contaminant spores which naturally settle on and are drawn in through the holes as the jar contents cool and shrink.  When the needle is inserted later, it can drag contaminant laden verm from the top by the holes down into the sterile rice flour below.  You can wipe the tape with alcohol and inject right through it.  It doesn't need to be replaced after inoculation.  The hole the needle made will suffice for gas exchange if one doesn't use breathable tape.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineEnantiodrome
Wanderer
Male

#17905347 - 03/04/13 09:10 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

i have been considering to recommend micropore tape for the jar lids.

--------------------

OfflineEnantiodrome
Wanderer
Male

#17905669 - 03/04/13 10:12 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Stage 3: Colonization

Now that you have a sterile environment to work in, you can begin the colonization process. In order for your mushroom spores to grow into full fruited bodies, they must first colonize a substrate to grow from. In this section, you will learn how to:
• Prepare and sterilize a substrate
• Inoculate (Inject) the mushroom spores into the substrate
• Incubate your jars until full colonization

Preparing your Jars
1. Using your hammer and ice pick, poke 4 small holes into each jar lid like in Figure 1
2. Using your measuring cups, measure out ½ cup of vermiculite and add to you mixing bowl.
3. Add ¼ cup of water to the bowl and mix until even distributed
4. Slowly stir in ¼ cup of Brown Rice Flour
5. Dump the contents of the bowl into one of the jars. Lightly shake the jar to level the mix. Note: Do not pack the mix into the jar
6. Top off the almost-filled jar with dry vermiculite and screw its lid on
7. Repeat steps 2 through 6 for the rest of your jars

Sterilizing your Substrate Jars
1. Cover the top of each jar with aluminum foil by crumpling it around the lid as shown in Figure A
2. Place your jars into a large pot, elevated by a 2-3 inch rack inside
3. Fill the bottom 2 inches of your pot with water
4. Cover your pot with a tight fitting lid and place it onto a stove top burner
5. Turn on the burner and heat the pot to boiling temperature
6. When steam begins to escape from the top of the pot, turn the heat down slightly to maintain the steaming. Allow the pot to steam for 90 minutes
7. After steaming, allow the pot to cool to room temperature
8. Transfer your now-sterilized jars back to your grow room and allow them to sit overnight

--------------------

OfflineTexas.Goliad.2016
Stranger
    #20621424 - 09/26/14 01:08 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Did you ever finish your manuel? I can only find up to stage 3. Did you post it somewhere? It's very helpful so far!

Offlinewebwiller
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: OverTheRainboW
Re: Writing a Grow Instruction Manual [Re: Texas.Goliad.2016]
    #20904900 - 11/29/14 03:15 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Texas.Goliad.2016 said:
Did you ever finish your manuel? I can only find up to stage 3. Did you post it somewhere? It's very helpful so far!

A MUST QUOTE!!!!

YOU WERE (....hope *are*:::) DOIN' A GREAT JOB! PLS KEEP UP THE PROJECT MATE!

--------------------
:mushroom2:

InvisiblebodhisattaMDiscordReddit
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Milky way
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Writing a Grow Instruction Manual [Re: webwiller]
    #20904914 - 11/29/14 03:19 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

I'm sure he never did or won't be coming back, click the first link in my signature if you need help getting started and finding some good info

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order