Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleEffedS
 User Gallery

Loc: Daylight Slavings
How long will the world last...
    #1789658 - 08/07/03 06:20 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

if we continue this constant disrespect for out mother earth?

Seriously how long before all the trees are gone and the world is a parking lot?
I say only a few hundered years if that.

What can we do to stop the dominators?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada Flag
Re: How long will the world last... [Re: Effed]
    #1789742 - 08/07/03 06:45 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

What can we do?

We can start by all doing our own part, of course. Conserve, recycle, and learn to "do things" in general in an environmentally friendly way.

Education is the best route I see for bringing about large-scale knowledge of and care for the environment.

But I'm afraid this problem won't go away until our society's greed for money is removed. People who really want money are usually willing to do just about anything to get that money. Harming the environment is easy to see as a "faceless crime", and I think people who hurt the environment use this to help cover their asses. If a corporation went around killing people as much as they go around damaging the environment...there would definately be an angry puplic response. There isn't usually that big of a public response when anyone damages the environment because "no one is hurt". The only time the media and public really become interested in environmental damage is either when it is very large-scale and noticeable (oil spills, clear-cutting, ect) or when humans are directly hurt by the damage (toxic spills and the like).

I think a lot of this stems from our society's near complete inability to plan for the future well-being of the society. Our situation changes so fast that most people, I think, can only really think a little ahead as far as their and their society's well-being goes.

We need to, as a society, realize that our time here is very short. We spend all our time making sure we, personally, are safe and, perhaps more importantly, comfortable. Without barely a thought to the safety and comfort of our children, and their children and so forth.

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

Offlineneutralizer
Spiritual beinghaving a Humanexperience
Loc: This Planet Earth
Re: How long will the world last... [Re: trendal]
    #1789802 - 08/07/03 07:08 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

We can't even manage to take care of the insane number of people on this planet. We should probably try to work on stopping the insane growth of the population at the same time as working on stopping polluting this planet where we live. I recently picked up the book Contact by Carl Sagan (own the movie, currently reading the book) and today I got to a part where she visits Hadden in space and watches earth from orbit. The earth fills half her field of view, and she can cast her eyes from horizon to horizon in a second. Can you imagine that? Just thinking about it makes me feel closer to people all over the world - what really is it that seperates us? Money, where we were born? Culture? Does any of that really matter or mean that the haves are better than the have-nots, or vice versa? We're all part of this planet and the life cycle here, we need to realize that before we kill ourselves and almost everything else.

--------------------
There are things known, and there are things unknown, and in between are the doors - Morrison

InvisibleLazerouth
Drunkard

Loc: England
    #1789845 - 08/07/03 07:25 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

global warming, famine, disease, deforestation, war ots only a matter of time until the mass die out rolls along. but i dont think the human race will get obliterated for a long time yet, people tend to survive such things.

how to stop it? you cant stop progress and much of the damage is done. who cares anyway you'll be dead and buried before any of this. i just love the idea of passing our mistakes onto the next generation. gwahahahhahahaha

Offlinepsylicon
Adventurer
Loc: Urbana, IL
    #1790153 - 08/07/03 08:43 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

It's not nearly as bleak as you think. Well, that depends on what your priorities are. Don't worry, the earth has survived catastrophes far greater than anything we could inflict upon her (at least at present). Here's the worst case scenario: All of our advancing industrialization and disregard for nature causes the composition of the biosphere to be thrown far enough from homeostasis to cause a global catastrophe significant enough to wipe us out. Now yes, humans are capable of surviving alot when we have our technology. But have you ever lost water or electricity in your house, even for a day? It's fucking horrible! I don't think the bulk of people would last very long in a global catastrophe (by which I refer to global warming, another ice age, or a departure from the chemical gas equilibrium that is currently maintained in the atmospher and vital to our lives). The only ways to survive such a catastrophe would be to permanently leave the earth, or to go underground or live in giant domes or something of the like. Anyways I'm talking out of my ass right now, but on the plus side I think there's a good chance that GW will lead us to nuclear annihilation long before we are capable of doing any devastating harm to the planet.

InvisibleEffedS
 User Gallery

Loc: Daylight Slavings
Re: How long will the world last... [Re: trendal]
    #1790483 - 08/07/03 10:11 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

We can start by all doing our own part, of course. Conserve, recycle, and learn to "do things" in general in an environmentally friendly way.

Education is the best route I see for bringing about large-scale knowledge of and care for the environment.

You hit the nail on the head there. The thing is, I have lost hope for western society as a whole to change their ways. Im trying to look at the things this community can do. This is a critical time for the planet I feel,  we can either make or break it. I know that this planet has seen its share of disasters, but what  man is doing to the earth is unnatural. So I feel like WE need to do something.

Quote:

We can't even manage to take care of the insane number of people on this planet. We should probably try to work on stopping the insane growth of the population at the same time as working on stopping polluting this planet where we live.

This is a good point! Would the population be willing to consider the choice of not to have kids? Should a limit be set for how many children you can have? I realize the answer is no, but why? We have to take some kind of action. We have a planet and lots of species to protect. If we are the "superior creatures" on this planet we should prove it to ourselves.

Quote:

how to stop it? you cant stop progress and much of the damage is done. who cares anyway you'll be dead and buried before any of this. i just love the idea of passing our mistakes onto the next generation. gwahahahhahahaha

I care, you should care too. This is the kind of disrespect I am talking about.  However at this point I wouldnt mind a severe disaster. Perhaps as warning to make poeple wake the fuck up.

Quote:

It's not nearly as bleak as you think. Well, that depends on what your priorities are.

I plan to live my life in as close to ecstacy as I can attain.
Hopefully this miserable world wont hamper my plans too much in my lifetime. I just want out of the USA man, its getting worse by the second.
I think this was my longest post ever.  :sun:

Down With The Dominators. 

Invisibletak
geo's henchman
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: nowhereland
    #1790597 - 08/07/03 10:52 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

"Yesterday I was clever. That is why I wanted to change the world.
Today I am wise. That is why I am changing myself."
~ Sri Chinmoy

not saying that any of you need to change, but i do. I always complain about how people treat mother earth, and this and that, but i do it too. I feel forced to by society, but i need to stand my ground and take change for myself. If the numbers show, things will change. You also reflect yourself onto other people, so when you change, so will others. It will snowball, its just hard to start in the begining. Once the ball gets rolling, things may change.

:shrug: just my thoughts

--------------------
The DJ's took pills to stay awake and play for seven days.

InvisibleLazerouth
Drunkard

Loc: England
Re: How long will the world last... [Re: tak]
    #1790662 - 08/07/03 11:19 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

heh ive got a rather bleak view of the human race sorry. recycling is good without a doubt. but even if your whole neighborhood does it what would it acomplish on a major scale? nothing much unless the whole bloody world does it and i cant see the entire world getting turned round now.

i really think something very bad will happen in the next few hundred years but trust people will survive thats what we're good at. even if we live like cave men again the will to live is very strong.

if we all die then maybe its time to give something else a chance. i think that a society of lava fish that live in the center of the earth would be really cool!

and just remember that every fuckert on the internet has some stupid ass opinion on subjects they know very little about. :wink: 

Invisibletak
geo's henchman
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: How long will the world last... [Re: Lazerouth]
    #1790683 - 08/07/03 11:29 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

im sure we will just survive. but is just survive, what you want to do?

lots of people have the same fuck it attitude. 1 person doesnt matter. 1,000 people dont matter, 100,000 people dont matter, 100,000,000 people dont matter. They do. You do.

believe it...or not

--------------------

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

Loc: Passing Cloud
    #1790723 - 08/07/03 11:54 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I think the main solution... lies in getting a lot of things straight.

1) Change yourself positiviely as you woul see the world change in accordance.

2) Stand up for what you believe in, dont retreat with fear and cowardice to avoid what you know is Right.

Point on this one: If we did not live to do what we want... and if we  want to change the world so to speak. To be afraid, or to become lazy... would be to deny our very own purpose to our lives. So Its a choice between death or progres.... (just a thought)

2-1) Encourage those around you to do the same.

3) Help people out if they need it, but dont be afraid to say know if you know your bounds.

Im sure you could add more things to this... But what I think is... Is that there is a zen to this changing the world... How you operate yourself, your own actions, how you view the world, your own progress.... Operate on many levels... Do what you gotta do. Its not a simple task... and if you are serious about it... It has to be all the way.

Dont save anything for the swim back... Cause you know right where that goes. (BLUE PILL! lol!)
----------

It makes me sad to think that some people dont think they can change anything... That they have no power, no purpose to their lives. We make PURPOSE. OUr purpose is self created, it is up to us to meet that dream, that desire. If we cannot come to grips with our own issues... rise above. We wont be able to meet these dreams, and thats where i think The whole Changing the self, and wiseness thing comes into play that TAK was talking about.

I think its important for us to remember to communicate... help eachother out. Thats one thing i love about this community and why i always come here, all these things exist here. All these things i see. SOme good and some bad... But its all here.

The dominators only dominate because they have the people believe that they are in power. If enough people didnt believe they had the power, and they stood up, their power would be gone.

We have a whole generation, a whole new wave of new people, new ideas sitting here in this online community, and the communities on the outside of us. Our neighborhoods, our neighbors, the people on the streets.

A lot of people are lost, and i think at times we are all confused, but thats what makes us human. We need to realize that to become a better world. Toss our petty differences and work together...

I know im sure as hell trying all i can.... its what ive always wanted to do.  :eyemouth:  :smile2:

--------------------
What?

OfflineHagbardCeline
Student-Teacher-Student-Teacher
Male User Gallery

Loc: Overjoyed, at the bottom ...
    #1790806 - 08/08/03 12:50 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

When others have expressed their concern for the future of this planet, my contention has been that probably nothing short of the supernova of our sun, or impact from an object large enough to completley destroy our planet, could entirely wipe out human civilization.

The very thing that has allowed our success as the dominant species on this planet, our ability to imagine our future, would likely give us the foresight to insure a viable population remains alive to repopulate the species.

Many of the problems facing the world today, including the environment, can be reduced to accountability. Once people start taking responsibilty, and they will (eventually), things will get better.

I also think that before situations become critical, technology will advance to the point where these situations can be stopped, and even reversed. With the coming age of nanotechnology, a new order of molecular machines will be able to undo the damage we have caused.

I also think a major contributing factor to this is the uncertainty of about how extensive environmental damgage is. Even global warming hasn't been proven to exist (Although it my opinion it probably does). If situations become critical enough, resources will be diverted, and I think that when faced with the possiblity of mass extinction, you would be amazed at the things we'll come up with.

Lastly in the event that some global catastrophe was forseen, and it was sure that no one would survive as the situation existed, you would see a shift in the focus of the people. There would likely be a period of denial of course, but then I believe most people would sacrifice everything in order to assure the survival of the species. Once they accepted their fate, they would do whatever possible to make sure humanity survived.

--------------------
I keep it real because I think it is important that a highly esteemed individual such as myself keep it real lest they experience the dreaded spontaneous non-existance of no longer keeping it real. - Hagbard Celine

Edited by HagbardCeline (08/08/03 12:52 AM)

InvisibleinfidelGOD
illusion

Loc: there
Re: How long will the world last... [Re: HagbardCeline]
    #1790824 - 08/08/03 12:58 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I think you're overly optimistic.
when the world ends, humanity will show its true face
and it won't be pretty

Offlineatomikfunksoldier
T'was born oftrue in the yearof the cock!

Loc: a human-infested anthill
Re: How long will the world last... [Re: infidelGOD]
    #1790931 - 08/08/03 02:00 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

hey humans: where do you get all these ideas that the world is going to end? do you have any statistics that support the environmental devastation you claim? do they come from someone pushing a political agenda?

sure, lots of garbage, air pollution, overpopulation, war, disease, hatred, rape, murder, kill kill kill kill destroy.

but it comes down to this:

you have two options, can you directly affect the problem?

if yes: then do your best, if you do your best, you have done all you ever could, no worries

if no: then you can never effect anything, so your stressful deppressed attitude will effect NOTHING but your own physical well-being, so dont stress, dont worry, just enjoy while you can, love someone, play the guitar, watch the sunset, no worries.

--------------------
enjoy the entertaining indentity i have constructed for you while you can.

InvisibleJared
Stranger
Folding@home Statistics
    #1790935 - 08/08/03 02:03 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Tak is right. Nobody looks at it from an individual basis, and thats exactly what the issue stems from.

Invisibletak
geo's henchman
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: How long will the world last... [Re: Jared]
    #1791732 - 08/08/03 10:25 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Yup. I'm not quite sure where I sit on this 2012 issue, but from what I do think, it is giving SOME of us who SHOULD care a reason not to care, and justify it. Me included ;\

Im gonna try my hardest to change myself.

--------------------

OfflineEarth_Droid
Stranger
    #1792010 - 08/08/03 11:57 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I think it is rediculous that people think the world will end on 2012. I think if the world ends, we will already be living in outer space so it won't matter.

OfflineSole_Worthy
Stranger

Loc: over here
    #1792025 - 08/08/03 12:05 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

my old science teacher from school told us that he was taught at school that the worlds oil supply would run out in 1988 :smile: 

--------------------
get it all together get like birds of a feather

OfflinePed
Interested In Your Brain
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canada
Re: How long will the world last... [Re: Sole_Worthy]
    #1792094 - 08/08/03 12:31 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I saw some television program which suggested that today's industrial CO2 emissions are actually very positive in the long run, because the CO2 supply to trees and plants was beginning to deplete before they started occuring. They suggested that we, as a human race, would more than likely "choke ourselves to death", and kick-start the planet into a new cycle of healthy evolution.

I thought it to be somewhat of a hack-job assemblage of logic.

I wouldn't say it's too radical to feel that there will soon be some enormous event on par with the apocalypse, as in 2012. Not necessarily because of the Mayans, or because of Terrence McKenna, but because personally, when I walk outside, the energy feels like it's being sucked down a drain hole with ever-increasing velocity.

Feels like we're all on a raft headed over the brink of a waterfall. You know what I mean?

--------------------

:poison: Dark Triangles - New Psychedelic Techno Single - Listen on Soundcloud :poison:
Gyroscope full album available SoundCloud or MySpace

Offlinegnrm23
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: n. e. OH, USSA
Re: How long will the world last... [Re: Sole_Worthy]
    #1792123 - 08/08/03 12:40 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

living in space...
well, the international space station is hardly self-supporting...
the ability to build viable space habitaits (so-called "o'neill colonies" at L5 & other relatively stable orbital sites) or lunar settlements, or martian digs, or asteroid or outsystem moons, is a real possibility for a people with sufficient vision & will... but the groundlubbers (aka "earthworms") won't foot the bill... and you better believe that deepspace colonization efforts will not be a viable concern by 2012...
now as to whether or not this planetary culture will realize timwave zero (= the omega point = the vertical asmyptote of the jumping J factor = starseed blooming = the end times = "the year of the jackpot" = the ascent to the next plane = ????????) remains to be seen, hehheh...
& the earth's sun is a main sequence G-type star, not going to go nova (let alone supernova) but it is supposed to swell into a "brief" red-giant phase, at which time its photosphere will extent perhaps out to the orbit of mars --- not for a few billion years, but the earth will be inside the surface of the sun, a dry cinder with a decaying orbit, poof...
but it has only been a few billion years since this little rock cooled down enough for liquid water to exist (& thus, life: perhaps an inevitability with liquid water, organics, and an energy source?)
we seem to be halfway in time between the beginning of earthlife & the end of livable conditions on this planet ... what will happen with the carbon-based lifeforms (& their servants, the silicon-based life which we are developing) over the next 4 billion years, mmmmm?
~
"where do we go from here, chaos or community?"
(dr martin luther king, jr. quoted by paul kantner in his scifi rocknroll epic "blows against the empire")
~
"gotta hijack, HIJACK the starship!!!"
~
"our babes'll wander naked through the cities of the universe..."
~

--------------------
old enough to know better
not old enough to care

Invisibletak
geo's henchman
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: How long will the world last... [Re: gnrm23]
    #1792136 - 08/08/03 12:44 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I couldnt remember my dream from last night, but iw as sure i had one, then a pictures triggered it. I went skydiving, it was fucking awsome! but after my first jump, we saw someones chute tangle and they slowly hit the ground, not real hard but pretty hard and i didnt wanna go again. Kinda strange. But it was fucking awsome. ;]

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals