Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinePed
Interested In Your Brain
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canada
Super Mushroom Emergency (Pics)
    #1787681 - 08/07/03 08:00 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Alright, this may or may not be an emergency, but my cakes, 100% of them, even those beginning to fruit, appear to me as though they are experiencing some kind of hazard.

There are these fluffy globs of mycellium all over the place. If these were pins, I'd be thrilled. To me, though, they look like an outbreak of some kind of warty mycellium. I am reasonably certain within the limits of my inexperience there is no contaminant growth. Is there something wrong with my setup? Humidity? Temp? Unwarrented bouts of panic?

The temperature hovers around 20-25 degrees (68-77 F). The Hygrometer reads constantly 99%. Condensation has formed all over the hygrometer, but no so well on the walls of the pod. I am humidifying with perlite. The pod's air is exchanged by a Rena 300 air pump rated for 30 gallon aquariums, plus an AquaMax pump for 10 gallon aquariums also on the line. The loose fit of the lid is being relied upon for exhaust until proper exhaust can be created.

The mushroom odor wafting out of the pod is strong, almost nauseating. Are these cakes attempting to burst forth with richness? Just the opposite? Regardless, I'll use this thread for future updates.

------------------
The above is a work of fiction meant for satirical purposes only.

--------------------

:poison: Dark Triangles - New Psychedelic Techno Single - Listen on Soundcloud :poison:
Gyroscope full album available SoundCloud or MySpace

Edited by Ped (08/07/03 08:01 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblemicro
bunbun has a gungun
Male User Gallery

Loc: Brick City
Re: Super Mushroom Emergency (Pics) [Re: Ped]
    #1787692 - 08/07/03 08:10 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Prolly just high humidity which can make the "fluffies." I don't see any major problems. As long as it's a mushroomy smell, or kind of like ammonia, and not like garbage or anything you should be fine.

--
Micro

--------------------
Any research paper or book for free
(Avatar is Maxxy, a character by Mizzyam, RIP)

OfflinePed
Interested In Your Brain
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Super Mushroom Emergency (Pics) [Re: micro]
    #1787695 - 08/07/03 08:13 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

That's comforting. Should I attempt to be creating a higher degree of air exchange?

Odor is very strongly of mushrooms.

You said you didn't notice any major problems. Did you notice some minor ones? Anything I can correct, I will.

--------------------

:poison: Dark Triangles - New Psychedelic Techno Single - Listen on Soundcloud :poison:

Offlinecdchriscd
Green Acres

Loc: FL
    #1787699 - 08/07/03 08:19 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

More air exchange, less humidity(not much less). They look fine though, nothing major.

Invisiblemicro
bunbun has a gungun
Male User Gallery

#1787700 - 08/07/03 08:21 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

You could case the cakes with a double-ended casing next time; that should help. Increasing air exchange should help but the fluffies will prolly stay there for a while.... Can't hurt, though. Maybe just fan once a day in addition to the air pump?

No problems that I can see except for the fluffies. The cakes on the bottom look kind of green, but I'm guessing that's just the lighting in the picture.

--
Micro

--------------------

OfflinePed
Interested In Your Brain
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #1787770 - 08/07/03 09:08 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Fanning once a day will be impossible because I will be out of town for two weeks, beginning tommorow. I followed Magesh's tek because the air exchange did not require my constant attention.

Though, I've been through three air pumps now, having returned one and spent 65 dollars, and yet still air exchange is insufficient. My qualm is that larger pumps border upwards of $95. I understand that many of you seem to be able to find 80 and 90 gallon pumps for $20, but every pet store and Wal Mart I've visted sells 5 and 10 gallon pumps for that price. Anything larger is typically over $50, and very noisy.

Just now I punched two additional exhaust holes and filled them loosely with cotton. It would be beneficial, I think, if I could arrange a pump to run in reverse, to draw air out and force a steadier exchange.

--------------------

Invisibledog
straw dog

Loc: Route 66
    #1787854 - 08/07/03 09:55 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

filled them loosely with cotton

Replace that cotton with polyfil.

Your cakes look fine; a little fluffiness is of no concern. Keep the air exchanges up and pins will soon appear. Do not try to lower the humidity, cakes like it high.

--------------------

Fascism (fash'izem) n. A governmental system marked by a centralized dictatorship, stringent socioeconomic controls, and often belligerent nationalism. see also: the Bush Administration.

OfflinePed
Interested In Your Brain
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Super Mushroom Emergency (Pics) [Re: dog]
    #1788136 - 08/07/03 11:24 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Right on then. The link you offered states that each flush take 5-8 days to mature. If I'm gone for 16 days, will I come home to find a pod filled with rotting fungus? Or, will the earlier fruits simply mature greatly and hang around until I'm home? Potency and yields etc are not my objective on this grow. Merely the experience, and the success.

--------------------

Invisiblemicro
bunbun has a gungun
Male User Gallery

#1788373 - 08/07/03 12:27 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

The mushrooms wouldn't die unless they get contaminated with something. If you just left it there and it never got contaminated, the mycelium would just eventally just eat them back for nutrition (autolysis.)

But if they contaminate.... well....

--
Micro

--------------------

InvisibleDanKnugget
Mysterious Traveller
Male

Loc: On a boat
    #1788524 - 08/07/03 01:04 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

you should be fine. have fun on your trip, maybe have a good friend pick the mature mushrooms every few days

--------------------
My 3 proverbs:
1. School is for people who don't know stuff.
2. Jobs are for losers.
3. Reading is for people with nothing better to do.

OfflinePed
Interested In Your Brain
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Super Mushroom Emergency (Pics) [Re: DanKnugget]
    #1788985 - 08/07/03 02:55 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Right on then.

Let me ask, is it safe for my other 5 cakes which are fluffy but not pinning, to be dunked and rolled this evening? I was intending to dunk over night and then roll them in sterilized vermiculite tommorow morning immediately before I take off to BC. The cakes are sitting in the pod right now. Can they be removed for dunking? This has been a last minute impulse.

--------------------

OfflineSev
Astropath
Loc: NY
    #1789200 - 08/07/03 04:05 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Weird. You know, I find the smell of a rubbermaid full of colonized cakes to be pleasant and somewhat fruity. I dont' like the smell of the actual shrooms themselves, but...;)

--------------------
"Do we want the stars? We can have them. Can we borrow cups of fire from the sun? We can and must and light the world." --"On the Shoulders of Giants", Ray Bradbury

All of my posts are full of fiction and blatant lies.

InvisibleDanKnugget
Mysterious Traveller
Male

Loc: On a boat
Re: Super Mushroom Emergency (Pics) [Re: Sev]
    #1789572 - 08/07/03 05:50 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Yes, my rubbermaid has a sweet smell also :grin:

--------------------
My 3 proverbs:
1. School is for people who don't know stuff.
2. Jobs are for losers.
3. Reading is for people with nothing better to do.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract