Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinethemusicofzann
Meta-Ubermensch
Male User Gallery

"Sarpa Tripping" Psychedelic Salema porgy fish, Has anyone tried them?
    #17885780 - 03/01/13 11:35 AM (11 years, 30 days ago)

some background information. Due to My current issues with chemical availability in my area, I have been looking at a number of alternatives to the usual psychedelics. I would consider cultivating cubensis, but until my living situation changes, that is not a safe or simple thing to do.

So, I have seen a number of reports of unknowing diners consuming the mediterranean Salema Porgy colloquially known as the Sarpa Salpa. Apparently, the fish's head is known to  contain a few different compounds including indole, and people have reported hallucinations and visuals for up to 36 hours after consuming the fish.

Does anyone have information or experience with this fish?

--------------------

The above is hypothetical, when it is illegal.

Psychedelics are performance enhancers for the philosopher.

Knowledge and wisdom are one and the same.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineshroomerduper420
That Joint
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA
Re: "Sarpa Tripping" Psychedelic Salema porgy fish, Has anyone tried them? [Re: themusicofzann]
    #17885870 - 03/01/13 11:55 AM (11 years, 30 days ago)

Never heard of it but sounds interesting enough. 36 hours might be just a little on the intense side though Imo. Hahaa.

--------------------
Who am I?

Offlinethemusicofzann
Meta-Ubermensch
Male User Gallery

Re: "Sarpa Tripping" Psychedelic Salema porgy fish, Has anyone tried them? [Re: shroomerduper420]
    #17886011 - 03/01/13 12:20 PM (11 years, 30 days ago)

Yeah, that would be a bit too intense for me right now. but, consuming small amounts might provide either a shorter or less intense trip. and seeing how the fish is both legal and easily purchasable, it is worth investigating.

Additionally, how cool would it be to find a legal high that doubles as a delicious meal. which gives me an idea

Sarpa Salpa, Side of penis envies, and hash butter garlic bread. Bon Appetit.

--------------------

Offline11nova
Bipolar Bear
Male User Gallery

Loc: Virginha
Re: "Sarpa Tripping" Psychedelic Salema porgy fish, Has anyone tried them? [Re: themusicofzann]
    #17886285 - 03/01/13 01:20 PM (11 years, 30 days ago)

Do you have a link for this?

--------------------
I wish I was a headlight, on a northbound train:mushroom2:

Invisiblesailing
China Cat Sunflower
Male

Loc: United States
Re: "Sarpa Tripping" Psychedelic Salema porgy fish, Has anyone tried them? [Re: 11nova]
    #17886332 - 03/01/13 01:30 PM (11 years, 30 days ago)

I think you'd have a better time ordering research chemicals than some psychedelic fish.

i mean, i guess if you want to do it for science then go for it. the thing ive noticed however is that psychedelic animals tend to combine psychedelic alkaloids with other more harmful alkaloids as a defense system. like the venom of the bufo toad, yeah it contains bufotenin, but it also contains poisons requiring an extraction of the desired alkaloids. so make sure you do your research with this fish head so you dont end up getting poisoned.

--------------------
Love is the deep spiritual connection between the self and all things. We are all a part of the same universe.

Crazy cat peekin through a lace bandanna,like a one eyed cheshire, like a diamond eyed jack.

:awecid2:

Offlinetbone8352
Gardener
Male

Re: "Sarpa Tripping" Psychedelic Salema porgy fish, Has anyone tried them? [Re: 11nova]
    #17886369 - 03/01/13 01:39 PM (11 years, 30 days ago)

Evidently its a certain algae they eat that makes them hallucinogenic. If they don't eat enough of it they aren't psychoactive so if you buy them it sounds like a crap shoot to me.

I'd like to hear a trip report too from someone who is knows what they are taking

OfflineNoBeginningNoEnd

Re: "Sarpa Tripping" Psychedelic Salema porgy fish, Has anyone tried them? [Re: tbone8352]
    #17886799 - 03/01/13 02:48 PM (11 years, 30 days ago)

LOL thx for sharing this interesting info!  Imagine how lucky its predator fish are to be able to enjoy a good meal and then trip balls under the sea for 2 and a half days :crazy2:

Invisiblesailing
China Cat Sunflower
Male

Loc: United States
Re: "Sarpa Tripping" Psychedelic Salema porgy fish, Has anyone tried them? [Re: NoBeginningNoEnd]
    #17886846 - 03/01/13 02:57 PM (11 years, 30 days ago)

Quote:

NoBeginningNoEnd said:
LOL thx for sharing this interesting info!  Imagine how lucky its predator fish are to be able to enjoy a good meal and then trip balls under the sea for 2 and a half days :crazy2:

its more like speculation, and a wild animal tripping balls is as good as dead lol

--------------------
Love is the deep spiritual connection between the self and all things. We are all a part of the same universe.

Crazy cat peekin through a lace bandanna,like a one eyed cheshire, like a diamond eyed jack.

:awecid2:

Offlinethemusicofzann
Meta-Ubermensch
Male User Gallery

Re: "Sarpa Tripping" Psychedelic Salema porgy fish, Has anyone tried them? [Re: sailing]
    #17889790 - 03/01/13 11:09 PM (11 years, 30 days ago)

Yeah, fish tripping is a total crap shoot, But worth researching none the less. for SCIENCE!!!!

http://technoccult.net/archives/2012/04/26/vices-hamilton-morris-interviewed-on-hallucinogenic-fish-guest-post/

Here is where I first heard of it.

--------------------

Offlinedetest86
Psychonaut

#18431756 - 06/17/13 12:28 PM (10 years, 9 months ago)

this post deserves a bump.

anyone else have anymore knowledge on this subject?

OfflineTheHippie
Some Dude
Male
Loc: Oregon
Re: "Sarpa Tripping" Psychedelic Salema porgy fish, Has anyone tried them? [Re: detest86] * 1
    #20691387 - 10/12/14 01:28 AM (9 years, 5 months ago)

I just recently found out about this fish and I think it's damn interesting so I'm just copy/pasting from all over to help complete the info on this thread(you know, for those that can't google)...

Before you go down to your local fishmonger and start decapitating every fish in sight, know a couple of things. First, the fish's head is rarely psychotropic--the sarma salpa's hallucinogenic powers come from a compound called indole, which is present in the plankton and algae it eats. If there isn't enough indole, then you'll just be that sober, fish-head-eating person you see at every kegger.

Furthermore, tripping on the Sarpa Salpa is a magical mystery tour through the seventh circle of hell. Crippling terror, unearthly howls, and visions of demonic animals are reputedly common. In 1994, one salpa-tripping man realized something was terribly awry when giant arthropods surrounded his car.

Sarpa salpa, a species of bream, can induce LSD-like hallucinations if it is eaten. normally found in the Mediterranean and around Spain, and along the west and south coasts of Africa. Occasionally they are found in British waters. These widely distributed coastal fish became a recreational drug during the Roman Empire, and are called "the fish that make dreams" in Arabic. In 2006, two men who ate fish, apparently the Sarpa salpa caught in the Mediterranean were affected by ichthyoallyeinotoxism and experienced hallucinations lasting for several days.

The species most commonly claimed to be capable of producing this kind of toxicity include several species from the Kyphosus genus, including Kyphosus fuscus, K. cinerascens and K. vaigiensis. It is unclear whether the toxins are produced by the fish themselves or by marine algae in their diet, but a dietary origin may be more likely.

Other hallucinogenic fish are Siganus spinus, called "the fish that inebriates" in Reunion Island, and Mulloides flavolineatus (formerly Mulloidichthys samoensis), called "the chief of ghosts" in Hawaii.

Also known as nightmare fish. Both terms are used to denote a group of ichthyoallyeino-toxic fishes such as Kyphosus fuseus, Kyphosus vaigiensis, Sarpa salpa, Siganus spinus,and Mul-loidichthys samoensis, many of which are indigenous to the Indian and Pacific Oceans, and/or the Mediterranean Sea. Eating the heads or other body parts of these fish may lead to hallucinogenic fish poisoning or *ichthyoallyeinotoxism, a rare condition characterized by the occurrence of vivid "visual and *auditory hallucinations, * nightmares, and sometimes frank "delirium. Reportedly, S. salpa was used in the past for ceremonial purposes in Polynesia, and for recreational purposes in countries surrounding the Mediterranean Sea during the era of the Roman Empire. The toxin or toxins responsible for the mediation of ichthyoallyeinotoxism are unknown. As all ichthyoallyeinotoxic fishes are algal grazers, it is has been suggested that they derive their hallucinogenic properties from alkaloids of the indole group, which display similarities in chemical structure to LSD, and which occur naturally in certain types of algae and phytoplankton. It has also been suggested that ichthyoallyeinotoxism is mediated by the presence in the fish of *dimethyltryptamine (DMT), a * hallucinogen even more potent than the indoles.

And practicalfishkeeping.co.uk specifically points to one species for potential dmt:
Others have claimed that different species of ichthyoallyeinotoxic fishes, such as Kyphosus fuseus, contain much more potent hallucinogens, such as dimethyltryptamine

That's all I'm looking into it. :smile: Sorry for any repetition. I'm not gonna put my full effort into an article about it, I was only going to copy/paste one paragraph to begin with. Enjoy, lazy researchers! And good ones can fret at my lack of citations. :wink: p.s. I saw an anonymous post that claimed LSA as the active in Sarpa.

--------------------
If I go insane let it be said: I once was sane before I was dead.

OfflineAnnalise
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: "Sarpa Tripping" Psychedelic Salema porgy fish, Has anyone tried them? [Re: TheHippie]
    #20691684 - 10/12/14 07:13 AM (9 years, 5 months ago)

MGMT Electric Feels on the brain....

Offlinemushpunx
Fungus Punk
 User Gallery

Re: "Sarpa Tripping" Psychedelic Salema porgy fish, Has anyone tried them? [Re: Annalise]
    #20692097 - 10/12/14 10:15 AM (9 years, 5 months ago)

The fish doesn't interest me so much, in the same way neither does Datura haha

But the prospect of under water pycedelics, and underwater plants in general is pretty exciting to me

--------------------

Amateur Mycologists United
AMU Q&A

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale