Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
InvisibletrendalM Happy Birthday!
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada Flag
Air Fresheners * 1
    #17829208 - 02/19/13 08:27 AM (11 years, 1 month ago)

I wanted to post something on the topic of Air Fresheners, as I am currently doing a school project on indoor air pollution and how air fresheners effect it.

Air Freshener products should be banned. Yeah, I said it. They should be illegal to use. Companies do not have to test any of the chemicals they put in their formulations for human toxicity - because AF products are "not for human consumption". This is despite the fact that they are - very obviously - actually intended for human consumption via the respiratory route. We smell them and are actually consuming them by our lungs. Companies also do not have to list any of the various chemicals on their labels. Even those chemicals that are actually controlled under law are not listed.

There are numerous studies on the topic of indoor air pollutants caused by Air Freshener usage. Many are in the VOC category (volatile organic chemical) and at least some of those are also endocrine disruptors - meaning they screw with our hormone levels, usually by imitating estrogen. Generally not a good thing!

So I am placing a personal ban on AF usage, and I urge anyone who reads this to do the same! No Air Fresheners will be used in my household - not sprays, sticks, or oils (with the notable exception of some essential oils - at least I know what is in them). I will not pay a company so I can spray hazardous chemicals into the air that I breathe!

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleBeefy1
GONE

Loc: around
Re: Air Fresheners [Re: trendal]
    #17829231 - 02/19/13 08:35 AM (11 years, 1 month ago)

Air fresheners and scented candles are not allowed in my place.

They fuck with my sinuses.

a few years ago I had some nasty cherry scented 'smoke eraser' candle that would get lit everytime we passed the bong around.  everyone would end up coughing way worse than they should have with that weed. 

I don't remember how we figured it out,  but it was the stupid candle irritating everyone.

InvisibleApollyphelion
Dungeon Master/Princess(1009)
Female User Gallery

Loc: Festival of Deaths
    #17829236 - 02/19/13 08:37 AM (11 years, 1 month ago)

Good post!
How do you feel about incense? Poison also?

--------------------

"I'm looking at you looking at it"

SUBSCRIBE TO MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL PLEASE! www.youtube.com/apollyphelion

Creator of the World's Worst Comic Book

OfflineTillTheWorldEnds
Percocet
Male

#17829255 - 02/19/13 08:45 AM (11 years, 1 month ago)

I used to huff oust when I was 14.

:cookiemonster:

J♠
Male User Gallery

Re: Air Fresheners [Re: Apollyphelion]
    #17829280 - 02/19/13 08:52 AM (11 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Apollyphelion said:
Good post!
How do you feel about incense? Poison also?

I haven't done the research, but my intuition would place incense somewhere between essential oils and an actual air freshener. They are a LOT better than Air Fresheners, but still have a large mix of chemicals (usually "natural") and don't list any of them on the packaging.

Essential oils are the way to go, I think. There just isn't much in them aside from the oil - and you know what it is.

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.

OfflineJonnyBtreed
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Northeast
Re: Air Fresheners [Re: Apollyphelion]
    #17829330 - 02/19/13 09:02 AM (11 years, 1 month ago)

Incense is from one side of the scale to the other. Some of it is pretty much completely safe aside from the obvious fact that you're inhaling smoke. Others have traces of heavy metals, toxic and cancerous materials and chemicals, and are for the most part completely unregulated in many cases when they're imported from Asia. The dude I sell most of my glass too swore off buying incense from overseas because of it.  Much of the stuff made here isn't even much better.

The only incenses the dude sells now are homemade and hand dipped in our state, using all organic herbs and essential oils. They don't smell quite as strong as the commercialized ones, and of course they're more expensive but I notice they also don't bother my eyes or throat anywhere near as badly which has to be a good sign. He also sells homemade scented candles, which are cool.

Offlinegoldcaphunter
EMS Medic
Male User Gallery

Loc: Massachusetts Flag
Re: Air Fresheners [Re: JonnyBtreed] * 2
    #17829396 - 02/19/13 09:18 AM (11 years, 1 month ago)

I think air fresheners just make the smells worse anyways so whats the point?

--------------------

The picture to the far left is a reminder to our users to stay safe and healthy, that's my third open heart surgery due to over use of amps. Stay safe kiddos :wink:

InvisibleSynthe
Gatorade me, bitch!
Male

Loc: Three bags of Funyuns Flag
    #17829659 - 02/19/13 10:27 AM (11 years, 1 month ago)

I fucking hate air fresheners. They are irritants and they don't even get rid of odors, they only briefly mask them.

--------------------

Offlinedanlennon3
LivingIsEasyWithEyesClosed.....
Male User Gallery

Loc: usa Flag
Re: Air Fresheners [Re: Synthe]
    #17829726 - 02/19/13 10:46 AM (11 years, 1 month ago)

OP you should see if you can find out which types of air fresheners are better than others. A Lot of incense is not too good for you either... I found this brand of incense that doesnt use a wooden stick. But its SOOO god damn expensive for incense!!! This is what it says-

Incense & dhoop handmade in the Himalayas according to traditional Tibetan recipes. All natural ingredients are used such as flowers, leaves, grass, wood, bark, spices, & aromatic herbs found in the high altitude regions of Tibet & Nepal. This tibetan incense is rolled herbs, so is there no wooden stick and no chemicals used that could be harmful to inhale. Many tibetan incenses are actually made for inhalation. These medicinal incense are prepared using strict veidic formulas which are based on ancient medical tantra texts that have remained unchanged for centuries.

This is what it looks like, you can see the difference in how its made.

I actually found a box of "genuine" Tibetan incense at a flea market for a buck, so I tried it out and I could clearly smell the difference in that compared to other incense. Its hard to explain but it smelled clean!!! This was not a placebo because I did not know what it was until I tried to get more online and read about why it was not as toxic as other incense... But I refused to spend 10 dollars on a box of 20 incense!!! I could go through that in less than a week lol

--------------------
"Psychedelics should be used not to escape reality, but to embrace it"

J♠
Male User Gallery

Re: Air Fresheners [Re: danlennon3]
    #17834654 - 02/20/13 08:42 AM (11 years, 1 month ago)

The problem I have with most incense is that it contains so many ingredients...not that it has a stick in the middle of it. You can't say that because it contains no toxic ingredients, that the smoke from burning it will not contain anything toxic (quite the opposite). Without doing some studies on the GC/MS of the smoke produced by a particular product, we just don't know.

I would recommend that anyone using incense do so only in a ventilated area, and then only sparingly.

--------------------

OfflineHook420
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Northeast Pa.
    #17834693 - 02/20/13 08:56 AM (11 years, 1 month ago)

I hate most incense, turns my stomach, as for the air fresh. You bring up good points I do like the way they smell more so than incense but like you said who really knows what goes in them.
  I like to cut up an apple or two fill up a small pot with water throw it in an add a few dashes of cinnamon and in minutes my house smells like I was baking apple pies all day, however if your not a fan of apples or apple pie this could turn your stomach.

J♠
Male User Gallery

#17834723 - 02/20/13 09:09 AM (11 years, 1 month ago)

If you absolutely must use Air Fresheners, make sure you don't use them around any ozone producing equipment!!! Ozone is a pretty popular way of "cleaning" indoor air and despite being toxic on its own, ozone plus an air freshener is quite a lot worse than either on its own! Ozone is a highly reactive molecule (and its odor reducing action is linked to its reactivity...) and it will react with the VOCs, producing things like formaldehyde.

--------------------

J♠
Male User Gallery

Re: Air Fresheners [Re: Hook420]
    #17834762 - 02/20/13 09:18 AM (11 years, 1 month ago)

We might not be told what goes into them...but we definitely do know what is in them. This study lists 98 VOCs that they found in fragranced products, for example.

--------------------

Invisiblebadchad
Mad Scientist

#17834795 - 02/20/13 09:26 AM (11 years, 1 month ago)

Do you have any info on the regulations surrounding air fresheners?

There are all sorts of regulations on products "not intended for human consumption".  Obvious examples are the storing chemicals in fire proof containers, spill proof containers, labeling etc.

I'm not sure you could legally market a known, aerosolized toxin as an "air freshener", but perhaps I'm mistaken.

--------------------
...the whole experience is (and is as) a profound piece of knowledge.  It is an indellible experience; it is forever known.  I have known myself in a way I doubt I would have ever occurred except as it did.

Smith, P.  Bull. Menninger Clinic (1959) 23:20-27; p. 27.

...most subjects find the experience valuable, some find it frightening, and many say that is it uniquely lovely.

Osmond, H.  Annals, NY Acad Science (1957) 66:418-434; p.436

J♠
Male User Gallery

Re: Air Fresheners [Re: badchad]
    #17834835 - 02/20/13 09:35 AM (11 years, 1 month ago)

The Canadian government has some regulations for VOCs in air freshener products, but all they do is limit the amount of VOCs in the product. I'm not sure, but I would think they'd have something similar in the USA and EU.

--------------------

Invisiblebadchad
Mad Scientist

#17834910 - 02/20/13 09:56 AM (11 years, 1 month ago)

I found an interesting position paper claiming that (in the U.S.) air fresheners are regulated under the Federal Hazardous Substances Act.

I'd be curious to see what that act says, regarding limits and/or restrictions on air freshener chemicals.  The act probably forces people to "label" ingredients, although it might be far more important to limit their contents.

--------------------
...the whole experience is (and is as) a profound piece of knowledge.  It is an indellible experience; it is forever known.  I have known myself in a way I doubt I would have ever occurred except as it did.

Smith, P.  Bull. Menninger Clinic (1959) 23:20-27; p. 27.

...most subjects find the experience valuable, some find it frightening, and many say that is it uniquely lovely.

Osmond, H.  Annals, NY Acad Science (1957) 66:418-434; p.436

J♠
Male User Gallery

Re: Air Fresheners [Re: badchad]
    #17834946 - 02/20/13 10:06 AM (11 years, 1 month ago)

In the study I mentioned earlier, the author mentioned that, of the 6 products tested, not one VOC was listed on an ingredient label and only one was listed on one of the MSDS.

--------------------

Invisibleabltsandwich
JFK = Jelly Donut
Female User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Dildoville Flag
    #17835022 - 02/20/13 10:28 AM (11 years, 1 month ago)

I think the link badchad posted is a direct rebuttal to the abstract you just posted.  But I take the rebuttal with a grain of salt, considering the CSPA represents the interests of the companies in its group vs. the interests of consumers on any level other than profit increase.

J♠
Male User Gallery

Re: Air Fresheners [Re: abltsandwich]
    #17835096 - 02/20/13 10:43 AM (11 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

abltsandwich said:
I think the link badchad posted is a direct rebuttal to the abstract you just posted.  But I take the rebuttal with a grain of salt, considering the CSPA represents the interests of the companies in its group vs. the interests of consumers on any level other than profit increase.

The link actually proves what the author stated, that no VOCs are listed on product labels:

"CSPA notes that not all ingredients are volatile, and not all volatile ingredients are hazardous. The fact is that there are no significant volatile hazardous ingredients in these products and therefore are not listed on the product labels or Material Safety Data Sheets." -link

--------------------

InvisibleBeefy1
GONE

Loc: around
    #17837638 - 02/20/13 06:28 PM (11 years, 1 month ago)

I used this stuff all the time to keep the whole building from smelling like weed,  but I spray it as I 'm walking out of the room so I'm not breathing it in.

Invisiblesomething super extreme
NIGGA YOU A FUCK NIGGA!
 User Gallery

Loc: TURNT UP!
    #17837659 - 02/20/13 06:32 PM (11 years, 1 month ago)

We don't use air fresheners in the house. Just open a window or something.
Now, I have black ice air freshener things in my car. All the fucking time.

Offlinex Ju x
Aubergine Of The Sun
Male

Loc: Shpongleland, Canada Flag
Re: Air Fresheners [Re: something super extreme]
    #17838270 - 02/20/13 08:34 PM (11 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah I hate walking into a place and have the feeling of my nose being chemically burned because of the overwhelming scent of air fresheners.

I love the sense of smell but I prefer to just open a window and let fresh air circulate through the house then pump it full of smelly chemicals. I do use them on occasion, I'll admit, but I try to find the ones that don't have liquid perfumes or whatever they use.

--------------------

Invisiblesomething super extreme
NIGGA YOU A FUCK NIGGA!
 User Gallery

Loc: TURNT UP!
Re: Air Fresheners [Re: x Ju x]
    #17838293 - 02/20/13 08:38 PM (11 years, 1 month ago)

The most I've ever done is lightly-scented candles in the house, and that's only if there's something unpleasantly strong outside. Most air fresheners are far too potent and smell too artificial anyway.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals