Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Capsules   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Kraken Kratom Buy Kava Tea

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleSimplepowa
In Pursuit of Knowledge

The Kratom Experiment Begins
    #17817665 - 02/17/13 08:41 AM (11 years, 1 month ago)

Back in September, I wrote an article entitled: Is Kratom the New “Bath Salts” or Just an Organic Pain Reliever with Euphoric Effects? The response was massive. Not only did the article receive nearly 47,000 views and more than 80 comments, but I received several emails–almost all of which were written in support of Kratom.

Many readers were critical of the implication that Kratom might be the new “Bath Salts,” the synthetic medley of drugs that until recently could be legally purchased in most states. Though I mentioned in the article that Kratom is not new, and that Kratom and Bath Salts are not the same substance, and aren’t even in the same category of substances, many readers told me that I’d fostered guilt by association.

As a quick refresher, Kratom is another name for the leaves of the mitragyna speciosa tree, which look like large, oval mint leaves. The trees are indigenous to Southeast Asia and their leaves have been used as a traditional medicine in Thailand and Asian countries for centuries. The leaves are dried and powdered and sold in a few different forms, typically in capsules, tablets, powder, or as a liquid.

Several Kratom supporters who commented and wrote to me said that the substance had helped them kick addictions to opiates–in some cases after many years of taking the drugs for tremendous pain. Others said it helped them get off anti-depressants and anti-anxiety medications. Some said that taking Kratom provides steady energy without increased anxiety. In general, supporters credited Kratom with remarkable benefits without side-effects.

A few readers issued a challenge: before I write about Kratom, they said, I should try it myself and render an informed opinion.

Well readers old and new, I am taking the challenge. This week I purchased a bottle of Lucky Kratom brand jumbo capsules and will run a self-experiment for a few weeks, after which I’ll come back and report on the effects. I’m specifically using this brand because it comes highly recommended to me by those in the know about Kratom, and I bought the Maeng Da variety because it is reportedly the purest and most potent.

To be clear: Kratom is entirely legal in the U.S. — selling, buying and using it is just as legal as selling, buying or eating a slice of apple pie.

I won’t be evaluating Kratom as a pain reliever, or means to wean off opiates, because thankfully I’m not in pain nor do I use opiates. But I will be able to evaluate the “steady energy without anxiety” claims, along with possible side effects or lack thereof.

Upfront I admit this is not a scientific experiment of any sort–it is strictly a personal evaluation. Frankly, I agree with those who told me that if I’m going to report on a legal substance, it makes sense to examine it “from the inside” so to speak, and that’s exactly what I’m going to do.

Stay tuned — in a few weeks I will report back and discuss exactly what I experienced.

If you have any comments or suggestions about using Kratom, please include them in the comments section. I will read and consider all of them along the way.

Pharma & Healthcare 2/15/2013 @ 8:43PM
David DiSalvo, Contributor
I write about science, technology, and the cultural ripples of both.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/daviddisalvo/2013/02/15/the-kratom-experiment-begins/

--------------------
Carl Sagan - "Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people."

---

Robert Pirsig - "When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion."

---

Brian Cox - "[One] problem with today’s world is that everyone believes they have the right to express their opinion AND have others listen to it. The correct statement of individual rights is that everyone has the right to an opinion, but crucially, that opinion can be roundly ignored and even made fun of, particularly if it is demonstrably nonsense."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinetheonlysun81
Long Time Lurker, Recent Member
 User Gallery

Re: The Kratom Experiment Begins [Re: Simplepowa]
    #17817693 - 02/17/13 08:51 AM (11 years, 1 month ago)

This article seems to be pointless without the part where he takes the kratom. Why would I want to read an article about the future use of a plant by a pointless journalist

--------------------

InvisibleSimplepowa
In Pursuit of Knowledge

Re: The Kratom Experiment Begins [Re: theonlysun81]
    #17817708 - 02/17/13 08:55 AM (11 years, 1 month ago)

For a number of reasons:

1- The guy is not a pointless journalist, at least he will try it before saying anything negative about it like he did before. He is open to new idea.
2- It warns you that another article about this will be available next month so you will see the progression in his point of view.
3- Use your decision making skill wisely to not read article you don't want to read and to not make a useless comment later on.

Have a nice day!

:awesomenod:

--------------------
Carl Sagan - "Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people."

---

Robert Pirsig - "When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion."

---

Brian Cox - "[One] problem with today’s world is that everyone believes they have the right to express their opinion AND have others listen to it. The correct statement of individual rights is that everyone has the right to an opinion, but crucially, that opinion can be roundly ignored and even made fun of, particularly if it is demonstrably nonsense."

Invisibledurian_2008
Cornucopian Eating an Elephant
 User Gallery

Loc: Raccoon City
    #17817808 - 02/17/13 09:35 AM (11 years, 1 month ago)

The author is raising a controversy to generate suspense.

'Strange Addictions' showed people abusing cornstarch and toilet paper.

But, what if we take an objective approach to these behaviors.

Offlinedip
Stranger
Re: The Kratom Experiment Begins [Re: durian_2008]
    #17817885 - 02/17/13 09:59 AM (11 years, 1 month ago)

There's just so much wrong here;  First, this foolish person has already tarnished a benign plant with the title of his earlier piece.  That cat won't be back in the bag any time soon.  Dumb ass.

Second, he is still showing every indication of ignorance and confusion.  Lucky Kratom Brand Jumbos?  In eight years of continuous involvement with kratom leaf, I've never heard of that, nor does it sound like an offering by a legitimate, conscientious company.  Rather, it sounds exactly like some low-potency garbage as marketed in headshops to people that haven't a clue.  It's pretty hard to imagine any good coming out of this "experiment".

InvisibleSimplepowa
In Pursuit of Knowledge

Re: The Kratom Experiment Begins [Re: dip]
    #17817897 - 02/17/13 10:02 AM (11 years, 1 month ago)

Still, news article related to drugs all need to be shared :heart:

And it shows, to my surprise, lots of support from people around the world FOR kratom. This guy got bashed because he tried to tarnish the reputation of this plant! Isn't it special?

This article (and the next one) is (will be) quite interesting nonetheless :crazy:

At least the guy is trying! How can you be mad at that :lol: He adapted himself to the situation, quite nice if you ask me, better than lots of folks with a pole in the ass all around the world that won't hear any other opinion than the one they have :thumbup:

--------------------

---

---

Offlinedip
Stranger
    #17817963 - 02/17/13 10:21 AM (11 years, 1 month ago)

All for the sharing, S-P.  That doesn't mean I have to approve of the content.  Or does it?

Offlinelaruta_21
twat tickler
 User Gallery

#17818025 - 02/17/13 10:35 AM (11 years, 1 month ago)

All us kratom users can only hope he gets a low quality strain/batch so his reviews will make it look not so enjoyable

InvisibleCidneyIndole
www.shroomery.OG
Male User Gallery

Loc: Love's Secret Domain
    #17818029 - 02/17/13 10:37 AM (11 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

dip said:
There's just so much wrong here;  First, this foolish person has already tarnished a benign plant with the title of his earlier piece.  That cat won't be back in the bag any time soon.  Dumb ass.

Second, he is still showing every indication of ignorance and confusion.  Lucky Kratom Brand Jumbos?  In eight years of continuous involvement with kratom leaf, I've never heard of that, nor does it sound like an offering by a legitimate, conscientious company.  Rather, it sounds exactly like some low-potency garbage as marketed in headshops to people that haven't a clue.  It's pretty hard to imagine any good coming out of this "experiment".

I had similar thoughts as you.

Let's hope this stuff is not adulterated with anything else (o-desmethyltramadol, phenazepam, etc)  and either:

1- he has a pleasant, but not too powerful experience

2- this stuff is weak, next-to-worthless garbage and he reports he didn't experience much.

How terrible would it be if this was some  headshop version of UEI,he takes 3 grams, and this guy comes back saying we need to ban the new herbal heroin.

:grrr:

There is a part of me that has respect for him seemingly attempting to have an open, objective mind, and put it to the test himself, instead of just parroting second-hand BS anti-drug propaganda. Hopefully nothing bad comes of this....

--------------------
------------------------
I am me. We are You.

InvisibleSimplepowa
In Pursuit of Knowledge

#17818089 - 02/17/13 10:56 AM (11 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

dip said:
All for the sharing, S-P.  That doesn't mean I have to approve of the content.  Or does it?

Ah shit, I thought your last "Dumb ass" was directed at me.

The power of the Internet :lol:

I shall stop to interpret further than what is written on the pixel screen :facepalm:

--------------------

---

---

Offlineshopdropper
Professional Psychonaut
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Sailing the sea of cheese
Re: The Kratom Experiment Begins [Re: CidneyIndole]
    #17818118 - 02/17/13 11:09 AM (11 years, 1 month ago)

So what is the deal with kratom?  Im an addict  is kratom strong enough to tickle my receptors?? Anyone have any real experience with hard drugs and kratom?

--------------------
DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME: no guarantees can be made about the accuracy of the information herein. The information dicussed in these posts is purely hypothetical, and for intelectual purposes only. Any similarity between internet chat and real life is pure coincidence.

:google:

Offlinelaruta_21
twat tickler
 User Gallery

Re: The Kratom Experiment Begins [Re: CidneyIndole]
    #17818125 - 02/17/13 11:11 AM (11 years, 1 month ago)

I think the threat is too great . We must assassinate him

Offlinelaruta_21
twat tickler
 User Gallery

Re: The Kratom Experiment Begins [Re: laruta_21]
    #17818620 - 02/17/13 11:20 AM (11 years, 1 month ago)

kratom helped me quit cigarettes, and I dont have to be on kratom all the time, I take it once after work

Offlinedip
Stranger
Re: The Kratom Experiment Begins [Re: laruta_21] * 1
    #17818640 - 02/17/13 11:25 AM (11 years, 1 month ago)

No worries Powa.  As you say, such is the internet-full of potential for both great understanding and great misperceptions!

Shopdropper, your question can only be answered if you provide a bit more indication of what your goal(s) woud be with the leaf.  If you're looking for a legal alternative to strong narcotics, you're never going to be satisfied.  If you are looking for an almost unbelievably effective tool for getting one of those monkeys off your back, it most definitely can help.  And if, having achieved that, you would like a mild, relatively benign plant ally to incorporate into your regimen, it can be your friend here too.

Invisibletravelleler
a horse-fart in a hurricane
 User Gallery

Loc: yonder mountains
    #17818768 - 02/17/13 11:56 AM (11 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

The author is raising a controversy to generate suspense.

I don't think so.  Kratom is already sold in head-shops and smart-shops globally.  It's only a matter of time before someone else makes the same connection.

I applaud the article and the journalist's resolve to NOT SAY ANYTHING about the stuff until AFTER TRYING it.  that's a huge improvement over what most journalists do. 

like all medicine it affects different people differently.  I have a friend who takes a tablespoon of leaf powder 3 times a day.  Personally I find a 0.5-1.0 teaspoon to be effective and energizing.  Any more than that and it becomes uncomfortable with a little drunken feeling.

--------------------

"Whales have deep thoughts"

:sun:Dreams are the fuel of the soul:sun:

:peace:

Offlinedanlennon3
LivingIsEasyWithEyesClosed.....
Male User Gallery

Loc: usa Flag
Re: The Kratom Experiment Begins [Re: travelleler]
    #17819230 - 02/17/13 01:40 PM (11 years, 1 month ago)

LOL!!! kratom the new "bath salts"... People have been using kratom YEARS before the term bath salts were even used!

--------------------
"Psychedelics should be used not to escape reality, but to embrace it"

Offlinetripp23
Kratom Freak
 User Gallery

Loc: Florida, US
Re: The Kratom Experiment Begins [Re: danlennon3]
    #17819662 - 02/17/13 02:33 PM (11 years, 1 month ago)

fuck man.. why are they bringing kratom to attention.. this aint good at all.. the more people talk about it, the more it spreads.. equaling the government thinking it is another "bath salt" subjecting it to it being scheduled.. just like the fuckn salvia trend.. :sad::sad::facepalm:

if I loose my kratom over stupidness, im starting a fuckin revolution/riot. no joke

--------------------
Experience my nightmarish first time of smoking Ganja!

Offlinelaruta_21
twat tickler
 User Gallery

Re: The Kratom Experiment Begins [Re: tripp23]
    #17820419 - 02/17/13 05:00 PM (11 years, 1 month ago)

I think it will remain like salvia though. salvia is not banned in every state. I think the things that keep kratom legal are the fact you cant snort inject or smoke it really. well you can smoke it but it sucks that way

OfflineAllGreyThumbs
Storage Container Aficionado
Male

Loc: Some savage little planet...
Re: The Kratom Experiment Begins [Re: tripp23]
    #17820510 - 02/17/13 05:21 PM (11 years, 1 month ago)

I think this is great.  The fact is, the Kat is out of the bag.  People are going to hear about it.  Now what needs to happen is that it needs to be normalized, much like what is happening with Kava Kava which is no longer seen as a "legal high" and associated with drug use.  (Despite the fact that people drink it at kava bars and get intoxicated.  Isn't it bizarre how non drug users think?)

Yea, Kratom can't stay hidden.  The only way it is going to survive is to become more accepted, or at least tolerated by non drug users.  (You know, folks that may still drink and probably at least take medicine... non drug users... in their weird little irrational minds).

I admit, the Lucky brand pre-capsuled Maeng Da did concern me, but maybe it is junk and he will report that there doesn't seem to be much harm with it.  On the other hand it could be a pretty potent variety, but then may be will like it and still want to help keep it legal.  And maybe during his time of using and learning about it he will come to understand that when you say Lucky brand Maeng Da capsules, most people that actually use Kratom are like "WTF?".

I still think that over all this is probably a good thing for Kratom.  I'm confident that the more people that take some time to understand a drug (any drug) before they speak about it, the better off we are.  After all, it's the truth that will set us and our toy and helper plants free.

--------------------
I only use drugs medicinally.  If I don't my knees hurt from kneeling down.

OfflineAllGreyThumbs
Storage Container Aficionado
Male

Loc: Some savage little planet...
Re: The Kratom Experiment Begins [Re: AllGreyThumbs]
    #17820779 - 02/17/13 06:18 PM (11 years, 1 month ago)

Hey, did anybody notice that Terrence McKenna posted in the comments?  Even from beyond the grave he is making users of drugs look weird to normal people.

Also in the comments section was some other editor ignorantly spewing nonsense about how it was all a placebo effect.  Maybe it was just an inside joke between him and him and the author.

--------------------
I only use drugs medicinally.  If I don't my knees hurt from kneeling down.

Edited by AllGreyThumbs (02/17/13 06:23 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Capsules   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Kraken Kratom Buy Kava Tea