Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
OfflineDoctorJ
Male

Loc: space
Re: Sports & Spirituality [Re: Swami]
    #1781579 - 08/05/03 12:24 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

not to nitpick (like you always do), but Tiger Woods and Mohammed Ali, were competing with other professionals.

If an expert looses to a non-expert, I would definitely question his "expert" status.

Also, different fihting styles have different strngths and weaknesses it is possible to be an expert ant one style and lose to someone who studies a different style. Just look at the Ultimate Fighting Championships. Grappling/ jujitsu always wins against traditional stand up fighting.

the best way to study is to study multiple styles, that way your prepared for everything.

Oh, and excuse me for assuming that a weightlifter would be large in size. I have no idea where I could have gotten that from.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineatomikfunksoldier
T'was born oftrue in the yearof the cock!

Loc: a human-infested anthill
Re: Sports & Spirituality [Re: Shroomism]
    #1781679 - 08/05/03 12:48 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

skateboarding, surfing and snowboarding are not sports. They are daoist meditation techniques of the purest kind.

--------------------
enjoy the entertaining indentity i have constructed for you while you can.

OfflineDeiymiyan
I AM

Loc: Within the Realm of Imagi...
Re: Sports & Spirituality [Re: Shroomism]
    #1781723 - 08/05/03 01:02 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

"Now I don't play golf, but I'm pretty sure they don't teach the divine metaphysical aspects of your golf swing."
-----------------------

I don't play golf either, but  I have an interesting link. 

The one thing though, that I have heard from many avid golfers, is that the swing is always constant.  You use the same amount of energy in each swing then.  So how is it that some hits go farther than others?

It's all relative to the length of the club. [ha haha.. see size DOES matter]...  The longer the club.. like the woods...  the faster the end moves.  The more potential to move that ball with a longer club is, therefore, self evident with a constant swing.

Here's the link...

If your mind operates using a "constant swing" principle [just humour me and follow this golf analogy]...  then the further you reach out with your mind, the more potential you gain.

With the help of great caddies [like senseis and coaches] you learn how to maximise your "reach potential".

I'd be willing to argue that we all use the "same swing" in our minds...  That part would seem constant; not to mention FAIR: it implies that everyone can do it !  The difference really, only depends on the depth-length you choose to work with.

Bottom line is:  The further you go down the rabbit hole, the longer your reach.  The longer your reach,  the more you've seen and observed...  You then acquire strength potential. 

A side effect of deep search, is better understanding. 

Careful though...  THere is probably an "Event Horizon"- type concept in there as well...  Wander out too far, and you may not be coming back [read: rubber room]. :nut:

--------------------

Dei Gratia de integro,

Veni Vidi Vici:

In Nomine Domini..

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Re: Sports & Spirituality [Re: DoctorJ]
    #1781749 - 08/05/03 01:13 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

not to nitpick
But you are, aren't you?

(like you always do),
False generalization.

but Tiger Woods and Mohammed Ali, were competing with other professionals. If an expert looses[sic] to a non-expert, I would definitely question his "expert" status.
I would bet LARGE sums of money that I can come up with many instances of amateurs beating professionals.

Oh, and excuse me for assuming that a weightlifter would be large in size. I have no idea where I could have gotten that from.
Neither do I though you make it sound as if there were some basis. This is the type of non-factual based conclusion-jumping that runs rampant in these boards.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

OfflineGazzBut
Refraction

Loc: London UK
Re: Sports & Spirituality [Re: atomikfunksoldier]
    #1784008 - 08/06/03 02:10 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

skateboarding, surfing and snowboarding are not sports. They are daoist meditation techniques of the purest kind.

for you maybe...  :smile: 

--------------------
Always Smi2le

OfflineTavarua
A Nobody

Loc: Califuckinfornia
Re: Sports & Spirituality [Re: GazzBut]
    #1784114 - 08/06/03 03:21 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Surfing is spirituality, devotion, deepness. There is so much knowledge involved in just the hunt for a wave, let alone the art itself.

It's something that's out of reach for most people and it's really undescribable unless you've done it.

--------------------
Gotta love life cuz life be lovin me

Offlinejono
misc.
Loc: Sydney, Australia
Re: Sports & Spirituality [Re: Deiymiyan]
    #1785890 - 08/06/03 05:11 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

The reason I thought body-building was definitely not spiritual, probably has to do with my understanding of spirituality.

As a sport it involves large amounts of Greed and to an extent, gluttony. Body builders literally force feed themselves massive amounts of food in a day, simply so that they can make themselves larger. How much food do you need to survive? I consider eating more than you need, to be greed, especially with so many starving people in the world, and the amount of strain already placed on the earth by all the farming etc, to provide food for the western world.

It involves vanity. They are essentially doing it to 'improve' their physical appearance. Im not going to bother explaining why vanity isnt spiritual.

It involves competitiveness. I dont think anything that involves competitiveness is really spiritual. Competition is a very basic and animal characterisitic. It is also ultimately self centred, and focused on the individual.

Anyway, who cares, its just my view.

With Metta,
Jono.

--------------------
Our problem results from acting like cowboys on a limitless frontier when in truth we inhabit a living spaceship with a finely balanced life-support system." David C. Korton

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Re: Sports & Spirituality [Re: jono]
    #1786049 - 08/06/03 06:10 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Body builders literally force feed themselves massive amounts of food in a day, simply so that they can make themselves larger.
The cyclists in the Tour d' France also consume megacalories; so what? I guess being a lazy sloth that never moves and hence consumes very little would be considered highly spiritual...

I consider eating more than you need, to be greed, especially with so many starving people in the world,
False dilemma. Skipping a meal everyday will do NOT ONE SINGLE THING for a starving African. The problem lies in distribution.

It involves vanity. They are essentially doing it to 'improve' their physical appearance.
And a ballet dancer practices essentially to improve his/her poise, balance and - yes - muscularity. Let's get rid of that, too. And those musicians, hell - anyone who tries to improve themselves in the physical realm.

Im not going to bother explaining why vanity isnt spiritual.
Um, because you cannot?

It involves competitiveness. I dont think anything that involves competitiveness is really spiritual.
Without competitiveness, homo sapiens would not even be alive today. Is non-existence very spiritual?

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

OfflineTavarua
A Nobody

Loc: Califuckinfornia
    #1836188 - 08/21/03 03:31 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Ahh can't end like that.

Competition: if it involves money or even a trophy then no I am going to say there's nothing spiritual about it. This is one thing you stay away from and out of if you really care about what you're doing.

Competing with yourself though, your fears and breaking new barriers for yourself. Now that is spiritual.

--------------------
Gotta love life cuz life be lovin me

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Re: Sports & Spirituality [Re: Tavarua]
    #1836235 - 08/21/03 04:17 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I would like to think that playing bass guitar is very spiritual.. It is just as much an act of your mind as it is moving your fingers... I can't very well describe it, but one's playing (as long as you can fluently play, that is, that you aren't limited by lack of skill) is a true reflection of what is going on in your mind.

If you make it a vehicle for self-expression, that is what it becomes..
Peace.

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

OfflineDeiymiyan
I AM

Loc: Within the Realm of Imagi...
Re: Sports & Spirituality [Re: fireworks_god]
    #1836476 - 08/21/03 08:08 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

"one's playing (as long as you can fluently play, that is, that you aren't limited by lack of skill) is a true reflection of what is going on in your mind."
-------------------------

I very much agree !  It is what is going on in your mind pretty close to your relative now.

I improvise much of the time when I play guitar.  Sometimes what comes out I make a mental record of it for a future song, other times, I just use it as a mode of self expression of how I am feeling at that particular moment.

:grin:

--------------------

Dei Gratia de integro,

Veni Vidi Vici:

In Nomine Domini..

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Re: Sports & Spirituality [Re: Deiymiyan]
    #1837184 - 08/21/03 12:16 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Ahh, we have another guitar player, eh? I improvise a lot on bass now, a lot of it is just to practice different elements of my technique, but also to improve my note selection... improvisation is fun. It is basically necessary for songwriting..
Peace.

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

OfflineMalachi
stereotype

Loc: Around Minneapolis.
    #1837471 - 08/21/03 01:44 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Swami said:
Body builders literally force feed themselves massive amounts of food in a day, simply so that they can make themselves larger.
The cyclists in the Tour d' France also consume megacalories; so what? I guess being a lazy sloth that never moves and hence consumes very little would be considered highly spiritual...

I consider eating more than you need, to be greed, especially with so many starving people in the world,
False dilemma. Skipping a meal everyday will do NOT ONE SINGLE THING for a starving African. The problem lies in distribution.

It involves vanity. They are essentially doing it to 'improve' their physical appearance.
And a ballet dancer practices essentially to improve his/her poise, balance and - yes - muscularity. Let's get rid of that, too. And those musicians, hell - anyone who tries to improve themselves in the physical realm.

Im not going to bother explaining why vanity isnt spiritual.
Um, because you cannot?

It involves competitiveness. I dont think anything that involves competitiveness is really spiritual.
Without competitiveness, homo sapiens would not even be alive today. Is non-existence very spiritual?

the cyclists on the tour only consume megacalories during the race, normally they eat lotsa carbs. not gross chalk bulk mix drinks. so everyone who doesn't consume grossly disproportionate amounts of protein is a "lazy sloth"? yeah right man... the venom in that says much. the ballet dancer/musician comparison is void, as they are pursuing a creative art whose by product is a nicely toned body. weight lifters can't do anything besides flex and lift weights. bodybuilders suck at every other sport. (no, tough man comps don't count..)

and to say that competitiveness is spiritual merely because it is an integral part of our worldy existence seems to ignore the meaning of "spiritual"... yes, dog eat dog is the vicious cycle that we're trying to free ourselves from...

anyway, anything can be spiritual and anything can not be spiritual. however, some activities are more conducive to spiritual practice as is evidenced by the fact that it's practitioners treat in in such a manner. so to answer your question, swami, it seems that many here have observed that body builders generally don't persue their sport out of spiritual motives. that's certainly how I see it - jeez, who would want to do that to themselves? to be so inflexable, ao slow, so shitty at moving your body in space... lame. you really can't deny that for most, the appeal of body building is to bolster one's self esteem in a quite ego bound fashion.

whereas, say, kendoer's or yogaer's or runners or surfers, (which isn't a "western sport", thank you very much... ) tend to (from what I've seen) treat their sports as spiritual- as they are much more conducive to doing so.

--------------------
The ultimate meaning of our being can only be fulfilled in the paradoxical leap beyond the tragic-demonic frustration. It is a leap from our side, but it is the self-surrendering presence of the Ground of Being from the other side.
- Paul Tillich

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom