Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisiblelessismore
Re: struggling with spirituality [Re: CosmicJoke]
    #18557398 - 07/14/13 01:50 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

MarkostheGnostic said:
Admire people who have what it takes to lose all posessions(house too),

I do not admire bankruptcy, and I will continue to endeavor to avoid it. I really like my house too. Neither do I want to lose all my possessions until death. I'm not a guru who will be looked after with admiration. I would become a homeless man who is put into an institution for indigents, with bad food, filth, deranged people, danger, poor treatment and little or no opportunity to work on myself or help others. The Middle Way is relative. I do not live in a hovel or a mansion. I am not rich or poor. Death removes everything, but I can choose to give things away selectively before I die. This is the Middle Way for a middle class man like me.

Indeed

Possessions only give problems if attached

Well I agree what you say, and it wasn't ment as advice for others at all

It was just thoughts I had a few times after I realized that less is often more(more appreciation), as I live a stressing place(own apartment) with lots of loud neighbors, and I am very sensitive to noise
Need to find a quiet relaxing place to live
Have tried meditating 30mins at a time or so, didn't help much when they started drilling during it/right after and all my furniture shaked
Have tried lucid dreaming 2 hours at a time many times (can't do that here anymore due to noise)
But observing my frustration/anger did, so I just go for a walk everytime now(everyday), nature relaxes me
Still get waked every morning 7am with drilling, hammering and they continue till 10pm every day, sundays too for the past few years
2 people running around with their 2 large dogs on thin wood floor

Doesn't even feel good to describe it, can never live here in the long run(most people probably won't understand unless they tried it themselves)
they just smashed the door in my face when I went there politely asking them to be a little quiet

I'm used to living outside in the country, not in the city.. that's where I want to live again one day

Haven't slept properly for 5 years due to stress from neighbor noise primarily, can only sleep when there is no noise

Everytime I go out the door I feel 100% peace, but not at home (often need to sit/sleep with headphones on due to the noise)
could sleep better at a train station than at home

This apartment is my last remaining attachment I think, but don't feel as attached to it as I used to, and often think I would be better off living somewhere else (just can't sell right now without getting a huge debt)

I try to look at it the other way instead, it is a privilege to have my own place to live, and I got my own garden I love and can do anything I want here
in the long run I know I shouldn't live here though

Some would probably say the stress is in the mind
when I have been in nature for some hours I feel relaxed for the rest of the day often
but the drilling everyday and running around with large dogs on wood floor, is a little excessive, that's why I would like to change home :smile:
(you can't do anything about it if your neighbor drills from 7am to 10pm each day here, it's legal, better to have no neighbors)

apartment is so small so isolating it is not an option

but I agree what you say, need my own place to live and economic stability preferably(always had that thankfully), the rest is optional
just very important with a place where you can be yourself
I love to read, that is pretty hard here (have to go to the library i.e.)
love to lucid dream and sleep too, both don't work out here, but have worked any other place I lived (many places)

Edited by lessismore (07/14/13 03:10 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida Flag
Re: struggling with spirituality [Re: lessismore]
    #18557826 - 07/14/13 03:36 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

I did not enjoy apartment living either. Coke heads did laundry in the middle of the night. I'd awaken from that, 'cause the laundry room was next to my apartment. I'd pull the plug. Twice the laundry flooded and destroyed books that were lined up on the carpeted floor. I am fortunate to have a house in a quiet neighborhood, but having been paid as an educator, despite my own education, the neighborhood turned over to lower and lower socioeconomic homeowners, while the professionals moved out long ago. The original owners were physicians, lawyers, and such. I have had problems with neighbors on both sides of me. I reported one to code enforcement when they turned a shed into a laundry (always laundry problems!) and vented the waste into the ground, which killed a couple of trees. Code people made them disconnect the illegal setup, and then my property was vandalized. I think I'm gonna draw a Voodoo veve on the sidewalk and light a red candle with some chicken feathers, to see if they react by moving. I think the laundry was because they're running an illegal daycare center. They are definitely renting their single-family house to others. Now, someone across the way has a rooster living in his screened porch. Gross! It wakes me, then the dog that lives near it goes off from the rooster.

My yard has become very pretty because of my landscaping efforts, and you'd never know that a few streets over, a young child's birthday party had been invaded by 5 stupid criminals who had the wrong address on a gun deal gone bad, and shot little kids and their mothers. Maybe it's just Miami - subtropical paradise peopled by subhumans. You'd never know that police snipers set up around a hostage situation on the next street, or that a man running for his life the next street over, kicked a random door open just as he was shot to death, dropping dead inside a neighbor's house.

I heard about a friend of a friend of a friend, who lived on Fisher Island in Miami, the most exclusive piece of real estate in the nation. http://www.marketplace.org/topics/wealth-poverty/next-america/fisher-island-americas-most-exclusive-zip-code ; He couldn't stand the backstabbing, political climate of the ultra-rich and had to move off the exclusive island. You can't win. If it's really dangerous, ill-effecting your sleep, you might have to take a loss and move. We talked about moving. The real reason I've stayed in Miami has been my job, but I recently lost it after 27 years. We wouldn't have any idea where to go even if I could sell this house for decent money. :shrug: Starting over is a bitch at age 60, even if we appear well-preserved.

I was just reading Perdurabo by Kaczynski - another book about Aleister Crowley. After he ran through his inheritance, he spent a big part of his life in poverty, living off of others, getting evicted and having his belongings held for back rent. How effective was Crowley's magick if it didn't allow for a healthy manifestation on the physical plane? Was Crowley Enlightened in any sense of the word? Hardly. He advocated being unattached to everything, yet, he was a lifelong heroin addict! I'm of Romanian descent on my father's side, but I'm not Roma, not a gypsy. Born under the sign of The Crab, whose pinchers signify attachment, I have to work with that karmic propensity. I am embarrassed to say that I went off on my Lady when she accidentally broke one of my more fragile "dollies" (as she calls them) - a gnome on a mushroom. I was able to glue it together and apologize, but the incident revealed a rather pathetic side of my Cancerian attachment. I am like Freud in this respect. He had hundreds of "dollies," and he couldn't even vacation without taking his favorites with him.

No matter what the real estate, it's all samsaric, and we have a choice of 3: Change things, Leave things, or Accept things.

Invisiblelessismore
Re: struggling with spirituality [Re: MarkostheGnostic]
    #18558105 - 07/14/13 04:35 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

It tests frustration vs acceptance

Most days I can get it to work but not all days
Acceptance / going in nature / doing something I love  always helps :smile:

Frustration never helped anybody, doing something is better

Acceptance is what helps me with almost any life situation right now
And appreciation of the small things that give happiness

Being aware of your spiritual side(aka awake?) doesn't mean you stop making mistakes, but it becomes easier to recognize them :-)
The most common mistake I make is judging, but usually realize it before doing it now
judging,frustration,fear,doubt , no need for those :-) (worrying is rare, but no need for that either)
only love is needed

Edited by lessismore (07/14/13 04:47 PM)

InvisibleCosmicJokeM
happy mutant
 User Gallery

Loc: Portland, OR
    #18558300 - 07/14/13 05:11 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

MarkostheGnostic said:
We wouldn't have any idea where to go even if I could sell this house for decent money. :shrug: Starting over is a bitch at age 60, even if we appear well-preserved.

Here's one vote that you do it.  What if I told you of a magical candy land where I can think of a dozen friends off the top of my head who could hold their own in a conversation about Crowley, astrology, and diminutive, alchemical creatures?

Asheville, NC

Many good friends there, and the cost of living certainly couldn't be worse than Miami :smile:

--------------------
Everything is better than it was the last time.  I'm good.

If we could look into each others hearts, and understand the unique challenges each of us faces, I think we would treat each other much more gently, with more love, patience, tolerance, and care.

It takes a lot of courage to go out there and radiate your essence.

I know you scared, you should ask us if we scared too.  If you was there, and we just knew you cared too.

InvisibleRepertoire89
Cat
Male User Gallery

#18559392 - 07/14/13 09:18 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

CosmicJoke said:

I just add "in bed" to the end of whatever Mr. Al says and it all makes perfect sense...  Faux wisdom that is so separated from a living, breathing human being that it may as well be fabricated by a machine is always better that way.

:rofl:

InvisibleRepertoire89
Cat
Male User Gallery

#18559401 - 07/14/13 09:21 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

MarkostheGnostic said:
I did not enjoy apartment living either. Coke heads did laundry in the middle of the night. I'd awaken from that, 'cause the laundry room was next to my apartment. I'd pull the plug. Twice the laundry flooded and destroyed books that were lined up on the carpeted floor. I am fortunate to have a house in a quiet neighborhood, but having been paid as an educator, despite my own education, the neighborhood turned over to lower and lower socioeconomic homeowners, while the professionals moved out long ago. The original owners were physicians, lawyers, and such. I have had problems with neighbors on both sides of me. I reported one to code enforcement when they turned a shed into a laundry (always laundry problems!) and vented the waste into the ground, which killed a couple of trees. Code people made them disconnect the illegal setup, and then my property was vandalized. I think I'm gonna draw a Voodoo veve on the sidewalk and light a red candle with some chicken feathers, to see if they react by moving.

Shit I would just move out, you'll be fighting a losing battle and one shithead will replace another in a shitty neighborhood.

Quote:

Maybe it's just Miami - subtropical paradise peopled by subhumans.

:lol: Miami ain't no paradise, its a swamp. I spent 2 decades between the Everglades and the beach, its far from paradise. From what I've seen of the world having travelled a dozen countries and most of the US, Florida remains at the bottom of the list in concerns of nature. The only plus it has is warm water with lots of fishes

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

#18559701 - 07/14/13 10:38 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

CosmicJoke said:
Quote:

MarkostheGnostic said:
We wouldn't have any idea where to go even if I could sell this house for decent money. :shrug: Starting over is a bitch at age 60, even if we appear well-preserved.

Here's one vote that you do it.  What if I told you of a magical candy land where I can think of a dozen friends off the top of my head who could hold their own in a conversation about Crowley, astrology, and diminutive, alchemical creatures?

Asheville, NC

Many good friends there, and the cost of living certainly couldn't be worse than Miami :smile:

That's interesting, out friend Gigi, owns a consignment shop of some sort in Asheville, and has asked us to visit her this summer to take a look. It was one of the places we were thinking of settling in. My wife's ex-husband and his wife are moving there. Rose's daughter would be able to visit all her folks at one location. Hmmm.

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

Offlineblitzd
a Stranger

#18560138 - 07/15/13 12:57 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

HIGH HIGH DOSES!!! lol jk.. but hmm I totally agree on the christianity part. It has brought alot of pain to my life being gay but I would say LSD played a great part in helping me out. I was once atheist but then am now pretty convinced that spirituality does not have to fall into any one religion.

If you need to replace loaded words like "Jesus" or "Christ" with something more spiritual in nature, like "The Light" or "Divine Mother" or "Source", then do it! This helped me a great deal. Funny how that works.

You can find spirituality in connecting with nature, in connecting with others, connecting with yourself, radical acceptance, living in the moment and being compassionate. These are all things that the Divine Mother likes, and this world needs more of. Is it spiritual? Of course! :smile: :smile:

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Re: struggling with spirituality [Re: blitzd]
    #18561961 - 07/15/13 01:01 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

blitzd said:
HIGH HIGH DOSES!!! lol jk.. but hmm I totally agree on the christianity part. It has brought alot of pain to my life being gay but I would say LSD played a great part in helping me out. I was once atheist but then am now pretty convinced that spirituality does not have to fall into any one religion.

If you need to replace loaded words like "Jesus" or "Christ" with something more spiritual in nature, like "The Light" or "Divine Mother" or "Source", then do it! This helped me a great deal. Funny how that works.

You can find spirituality in connecting with nature, in connecting with others, connecting with yourself, radical acceptance, living in the moment and being compassionate. These are all things that the Divine Mother likes, and this world needs more of. Is it spiritual? Of course! :smile: :smile:

I had a gay counseling client going through priest-formation. He eventually left before becoming a Catholic priest, and became a nurse, but he used to describe his love-relationship with Christ, much like a nun might. He did not take the judgemental aspect to heart. The word "homosexual" in the King james Bible was an insertion by King James himself, who may have been a self-loathing gay man. There is no word for homosexual in biblical Greek, so it could not have been in the original Greek NT manuscripts. People also pick up on the Hebrew cultic prohibitions of the Tenach (OT) to point a condemning finger at Gays today, but they ignore the numerous other prohibitions. Perhaps you have seen the following spoof on Dr. Laura Schlesinger. If not, enjoy it:

Dear Dr. Laura:

Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's Law. I have learned a great deal from your show, and try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can. When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind them that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination... End of debate.

I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some other elements of God's Laws and how to follow them.

1. Leviticus 25:44 states that I may possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighbouring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?

2. I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?

3. I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of Menstrual uncleanliness - Lev.15: 19-24. The problem is how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offense.

4. When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord - Lev.1:9. The problem is, my neighbours. They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?

5. I have a neighbour who insists on working on the Sabbath.Exodus 35:2. Clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself, or should I ask the police to do it?

6. A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abomination - Lev. 11:10, it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you settle this? Are there 'degrees' of abomination?

7. Lev. 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle- room here?

8. Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev. 19:27. How should they die?

9. I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?

10. My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev.19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them? Lev.24:10-16.Couldn't we just burn them to death at a private family affair, like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev. 20:14)

I know you have studied these things extensively and thus enjoy considerable expertise in such matters, so I am confident you can help.

Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is eternal and unchanging.

--------------------

InvisibleCosmicJokeM
happy mutant
 User Gallery

#18561998 - 07/15/13 01:11 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

MarkostheGnostic said:

That's interesting, out friend Gigi, owns a consignment shop of some sort in Asheville, and has asked us to visit her this summer to take a look. It was one of the places we were thinking of settling in. My wife's ex-husband and his wife are moving there. Rose's daughter would be able to visit all her folks at one location. Hmmm.

I hope you take her up on it, if only for a road trip, and :pm: me if you do.  A very good friend of mine, who turned me on to everything from LSD, Watts, Huxley, and Ram Dass (and incidentally was the one who met Stan Tenen of the Meru Foundation in Boston for tea) lives there, and I'd be glad to set you up to meet him.  It's a very granola-nut, vegan-friendly small city with a stellar live music & arts scene that feels quite akin to Portland without all of the :poop: of a big city.  I saw Phish play there in a venue the size of a high school gymnasium :lol:  I love it.  Who knows? It could be exactly the change of pace from Miami that you're looking for.  One thing I feel fairly confident of is that if you can't find anyone interesting to talk to there, you're just not trying hard enough.

--------------------

If we could look into each others hearts, and understand the unique challenges each of us faces, I think we would treat each other much more gently, with more love, patience, tolerance, and care.

I know you scared, you should ask us if we scared too.  If you was there, and we just knew you cared too.

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

#18562202 - 07/15/13 02:14 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

CosmicJoke said:
Quote:

MarkostheGnostic said:

I hope you take her up on it, if only for a road trip, and :pm: me if you do.  A very good friend of mine, who turned me on to everything from LSD, Watts, Huxley, and Ram Dass (and incidentally was the one who met Stan Tenen of the Meru Foundation in Boston for tea) lives there, and I'd be glad to set you up to meet him.  It's a very granola-nut, vegan-friendly small city with a stellar live music & arts scene that feels quite akin to Portland without all of the :poop: of a big city.  I saw Phish play there in a venue the size of a high school gymnasium :lol:  I love it.  Who knows? It could be exactly the change of pace from Miami that you're looking for.  One thing I feel fairly confident of is that if you can't find anyone interesting to talk to there, you're just not trying hard enough.

Thanks CJ, I'm getting the message that the people would be a lot nicer and on the same page with me than the population I'm enveloped in down here. I have known one teacher who lived there for awhile, but complained of the wetness descending from the mountains, much like I've heard from those who have moved here from the Pacific Northwest. We're talking about visiting Asheville, but in the winter. I'm sure it would be lovely in the summer.

I don't know about not trying hard enough to meet people. I talk to anyone. Perhaps I've been in this milieu so long I can't even imagine living in a Mark-friendly environment any more. It's like the Third World here, but if I was actually living in the real Third World, I might be regarded as being there to help. Here, in my own country, I have long ben regarded as a white American, a non-Hispanic, a non-Haitian, and it now I am increasingly an old white guy, or an old hippy, which is true, but I am being increasingly regarded as an 'alien other' by a city of aliens! :lol: I want to wave my freak flag high, literally, like putting up a flag pole with a peace-sign American flag and/or a Grateful Dead flag. It's like any other minority who feels prejudice, exaggerating their self-perceived cultural differences, and getting 'in-your-face' with them, while also intensifying the resultant isolation.

I have never had a stronger identity than the one Ken Kesey pointed out (although I've tried) about 'those who have had the psychedelic experience and those who have not.' The corollary however, is that he further intended to mean people who have been more-or-less changed by the experience (because I know people who dismissed, buried, or marginalized such experiences). I am white, Jewish by birth, Catholic by baptism, Protestant by way of a seminary education, middle class by way of family-influenced values, and a Ph.D., to name a few. I have never identified myself strongly with any of these things, but Rose points out that the rest of the world cubby-holes me by these things, and she is correct. I can talk and write very pedantically, but I don't talk to the man-on-the-street like a professor. Nevertheless, Rose says that my normal speech reveals a well-educated, middle-class white  American. I invited my pool repairman to a party years ago because he was a good guy, and he declined for himself and his wife because they were not college educated, for example. Nobody's 'fault' here, just trying to illustrate. Now, we don't even have enough friends to throw a party. :shrug: Sad but true. And speaking of sad, Rose has S.A.D. (Seasonal Affective Disorder), and the sunshine that she avoids exposure to, is important for her mood. We have to think about a radical change, but there are several major decisions involved. :um:

--------------------

Offlineblitzd
a Stranger

#18562351 - 07/15/13 02:49 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

LOL markos that was hilarious. You should seriously consider getting a sun lamp! Those do work! Why doesnt she like being in the sun if you dont mind me asking?

Coincidentally asheville is also where the Moog headquarters are and I plan to attend Moogfest next year!

InvisibleCosmicJokeM
happy mutant
 User Gallery

#18564117 - 07/15/13 09:00 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

You don't have to spell out S.A.D. to a Portlander :lol:, we know all about that, and if you visited here in the winter she could go to Light, a bar here that has heliotherapy LED lights where the color and brightness of the walls correspond to the time of day, and have a Bloody Mary spiked with Vitamin D & B12 with your vegan brunch--- we find ways to cope here :biggrin:  Being retired, I think you have an edge on optimism, and you'll figure out a way to deal with these small setbacks.  But if you do find a place that has winters like Miami, a culture like Berkeley, and homes don't start a million bucks, then you let me know and I might just be following your trail.  :cheers:

--------------------

InvisibleCosmicJokeM
happy mutant
 User Gallery

Re: struggling with spirituality [Re: blitzd]
    #18564208 - 07/15/13 09:20 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

blitzd said:
Coincidentally asheville is also where the Moog headquarters are and I plan to attend Moogfest next year!

Moogfest is amazing, Squarepusher played there last year.

Did you see the sister festival of sorts they have there?  Mountain Oasis Electronic Music Summit? I know The Orb, BassNectar, Pretty Lights, NIN, Animal Collective are playing this year... looks pretty brilliant, may try to make it...

http://mountainoasisfestival.com

--------------------

Offlineblitzd
a Stranger

#18564552 - 07/15/13 10:40 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Yes :smile: I am not from the Asheville area but am a big fan of the Moog synthesizers. I own a Voyager and a couple moogerfoogers! They are truly SO much fun to play and sound so so phat. Especially on acid.

I checked out that festival and it seems legit. I really dig bassnectar and pretty lights!

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

#18564783 - 07/15/13 11:36 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

CosmicJoke said:
You don't have to spell out S.A.D. to a Portlander :lol:, we know all about that, and if you visited here in the winter she could go to Light, a bar here that has heliotherapy LED lights where the color and brightness of the walls correspond to the time of day, and have a Bloody Mary spiked with Vitamin D & B12 with your vegan brunch--- we find ways to cope here :biggrin:  Being retired, I think you have an edge on optimism, and you'll figure out a way to deal with these small setbacks.  But if you do find a place that has winters like Miami, a culture like Berkeley, and homes don't start a million bucks, then you let me know and I might just be following your trail.  :cheers:

Sorry :blush:, I also speak of the SAD diet (Standard American Diet for those who don't know). HEY, I read your response to Rose, and she clapped and laughed out loud, and said you tell Cosmic Joke to come visit us! The guest room is yours! :cheers:

--------------------

InvisibleCosmicJokeM
happy mutant
 User Gallery

#18567172 - 07/16/13 03:00 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

MarkostheGnostic said:
Sorry :blush:, I also speak of the SAD diet (Standard American Diet for those who don't know). HEY, I read your response to Rose, and she clapped and laughed out loud, and said you tell Cosmic Joke to come visit us! The guest room is yours! :cheers:

We can take a little rain, but every Portlander is a unique snowflake of food allergies, and the dietary acronym for SAD might just be liable to wipe out the whole lot of us here :lol:.  Actually being able to let somebody else choose a restaurant on a dinner date without having to worry about sustenance was a big motivator to leave the Mecca of Meat that is the Midwest.  I suspect Miami is significantly better in such regards.  I'll be sure to :pm: you when I'm ready to make a jaunt to Florida :smile:

--------------------

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

#18567884 - 07/16/13 05:35 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

CosmicJoke said:
Quote:

MarkostheGnostic said:

We can take a little rain, but every Portlander is a unique snowflake of food allergies, and the dietary acronym for SAD might just be liable to wipe out the whole lot of us here :lol:.  Actually being able to let somebody else choose a restaurant on a dinner date without having to worry about sustenance was a big motivator to leave the Mecca of Meat that is the Midwest.  I suspect Miami is significantly better in such regards.  I'll be sure to :pm: you when I'm ready to make a jaunt to Florida :smile:

Rose is vegetarian, but vacillates between fats or carbs, cheese and nuts or breads and grains. We have both given up cooking oils, and I'm straight up 100% oil-free vegan. It's very clean eating, and very quickly eliminated without fats to slow digestion. (I saw two of my childhood friends' younger sisters, both named Maryanne, die of colo-rectal cancer in the last two years, and some of my pears are getting polyps in their colons. I believe meat-eating is in large measure responsible due to the carcinogenic putrefaction byproducts). The difficulty is eating anywhere but home. I haven't eaten at a restaurant or someone's home for over a year. Having just one current friend nearby, eating at other's homes hasn't been the problem. Rose is too logical to even want to eat at restaurants. You really don't know what you're getting, and it only ends up in the toilet is her response. Lucky me, she's learned to cook! :grin: I need to have an NMR lipid profile blood test soon, to see if I have improved my triglyceride, LDL, and other measures sufficiently to remain on this diet. I have had a few squares of dark chocolate, and I have eaten a couple of dozen eggs during the last 6 months, but no meat, fish, fowl, cheese, nuts, seeds or oil. Never was ruled by my belly, and as I mature, I'm ruled by fewer and fewer organs. :lol:

--------------------

InvisibleCosmicJokeM
happy mutant
 User Gallery

#18571355 - 07/17/13 12:44 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Now that you've mentioned what you don't eat, I'm somewhat curious what you do.  My breakfast today had plenty of fat - almonds, walnuts, pecans, almond 'yogurt' (no dairy), raisins, cranberries, oats, & honey.  My lunch will too - cashew cheese, basil pesto, & avocados - with tomatoes, carrots, cucumbers, wrapped in collard leaves. Giving up dairy is no problem, already done, but eggs and honey seem to hold me back going fully vegan.  Also cooking oils are definitely a staple, I eat a lot of spicy Thai stir fries w/ eggs & tofu, and other oily foods like pestos, baba, & hummus are always finding their way into my diet.

--------------------

Edited by CosmicJoke (07/17/13 02:10 PM)

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

#18571695 - 07/17/13 02:15 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

CosmicJoke said:
Now that you've mentioned what you don't eat, I'm somewhat curious what you do.  My breakfast today had plenty of fat - almonds, walnuts, pecans, almond 'yogurt' (no dairy), raisins, cranberries, oats, & honey.  My lunch will too - cashew cheese, basil pesto, & avocados - with tomatoes, carrots, cucumbers, wrapped in collard leaves. Giving up dairy is no problem, already done, but eggs and honey seem to hold me back going fully vegan.  Also cooking oils are definitely a staple, I eat a lot of spicy Thai stir fries w/ eggs & tofu, and other oily foods like pestos, baba, & hummus are always find their way into my diet.

Rose makes a wonderful chick pea hummus that I eat with our home-baked bread. Whatever kind of cake we bake, cocoa (chocolate, no frosting) to banana-raisin-blueberry-cherry, etc., uses applesauce instead of oil. If we wok-fry vegetables, onions and tomatoes have their own oils. We use vegetable broth instead of oil. We bake every other day: rye bread w/caraway seeds, oat-wheat, wheat, corn bread. Our lasagna uses cannallini beans for protein instead of meat or cheese. It's much lighter of course.

In the Caldwell Eselstyne, MD paradigm, avocados are probably the only excluded fruit. But too much fruit seriously taxes the pancreas. Fructose is harder on the liver than alcohol! Steve Jobs went fruitarian for a while, and may have inadvertently planted the seeds of his own demise. I eat an Olympia® Pea Protein shake with 8 oz. almond milk, a banana, and usually a few strawberries for breakfast, with which I take my morning supplements. Also, one cup of freshly ground coffee. When I was working, I'd eat an apple at about 10:00 a.m., At 12-1:00 p.m. I'd have one of my vege-burgers, eggplant-lentil-oat, or black bean-quinoa, or some other type, on Ezekiel bread, with trimmings like pickles, tomato, organic ketchup, mustard, vegan mayo from tofu, and a side dish, like our vegan mac-n-cheese which is very, well, cheesy, only it is yellow and viscous from yeast :crazy2: and in my newly programmed mind, it IS mac-n-cheese. Or, some lasagna, or some kind of roll-up, or mac-n-bean dish spiced in different ways. Beano® and the generic forms are still necessary for me, but not as much as before. The diet requires time. On Sundays, we'll make bread dough for the week, and my burgers. Takes a few hours, but we make a number of things for the week, and with practice, a block of tofu can be made into a number of products in a blender in very little time. I miss pizza more than anything. I had a peanut butter and jelly sandwich on my birthday, and it wasn't all that after a year's moratorium on peanut butter (fat).

Dinner often begins with a salad, with beans and some grain like quinoa or macaroni, and a favorite oil-free savory salad dressing like maple-mustard, or a pepper-ranch. I think certain blood types (I'm B-) might do better on this diet than others (although that is a whole other paradigm). I lost 12 lbs. around my middle. The only food I've actually dreamed about was scrambled eggs, so I have given myself a couple on occasion.
In the following recipe, I prefer shells over elbows. The picture doesn't do it justice: http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2007/10/easy-macaroni-and-cheeze.html

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract