Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinemerlink
IntergalacticTraveler

Innoculation Techniques
    #1781154 - 08/05/03 11:44 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

My buddy is soon going to be innoculating some quart jars filled with popcorn..... All of his jars have 3 holes (one center, and two secondary) which are stuffed with polyfil, just above the coffee filter which is being held down by the lid of the jar.

His primary question is:

During innoculation, which hole should he shoot the spores in? The center hole?? Should he inject it directly into the substrate (insert needle), or should he make sure to not let the syringe needle touch anything and just "shoot" it at the popcorn?

He plans on using 2cc's/quart..

-Merlin

--------------------
"Once you have an experience, you experience it for the rest of your life ? as time is a man-made relativity, expiration of experience is a thought." - Merlin

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineEkstaza
stranger thanmost
 User Gallery

Loc: Around the corner
Re: Innoculation Techniques [Re: merlink]
    #1781164 - 08/05/03 11:50 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

It doesn't matter with grain because when you see growth you shake the jars and disperse the growing mycelium. Try to get it all over the place.

--------------------
YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH ANY GIVEN DRUG ISN'T THE DEFINITIVE MEASURE OF THE DRUGS EFFECTS.

Invisibledog
straw dog

Loc: Route 66
    #1781166 - 08/05/03 11:51 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

It does not matter which hole you inoculate through. Just stick in the needle past the polyfill and squirt the spores onto the substrate. Remove the needle and shake the jars well to distribute the spores.

--------------------

Fascism (fash'izem) n. A governmental system marked by a centralized dictatorship, stringent socioeconomic controls, and often belligerent nationalism. see also: the Bush Administration.

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Innoculation Techniques [Re: dog]
    #1781178 - 08/05/03 11:56 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

> just above the coffee filter

This is asking for trouble. Coffee filters tend to get wet and rot away. Use tyvek instead. You can get a tyvek envelope for free from a fedex dropbox or from the post office.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Offlinemerlink
IntergalacticTraveler

Re: Innoculation Techniques [Re: Seuss]
    #1781194 - 08/05/03 12:04 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Seuss said:
> just above the coffee filter

This is asking for trouble. Coffee filters tend to get wet and rot away. Use tyvek instead. You can get a tyvek envelope for free from a fedex dropbox or from the post office.

Shit.. That's no good.. Hmmm... Well, i've been loosening the lids to PC, and leaving them a bit loose to dry out.. Will that probably prevent rotting?

-Merlin

--------------------
"Once you have an experience, you experience it for the rest of your life ? as time is a man-made relativity, expiration of experience is a thought." - Merlin

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #1781214 - 08/05/03 12:11 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I only tried coffee filters once and had no luck with them. They made it fine through the PC, but when the jars start to colonize they started to fall apart. Perhaps others have had success with them, but I have not.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Offlinemerlink
IntergalacticTraveler

Re: Innoculation Techniques [Re: Seuss]
    #1781259 - 08/05/03 12:30 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Did it actually cause contamination?

--------------------

Invisiblehoushroom
shroom cowboy

Loc: space city
    #1781273 - 08/05/03 12:38 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

coffee filters work fine in conjunction with polyfil, but these here were only used to make sure the grain didn't colonize on the filter after shaking:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation