Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | Next > | Last >
OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery
Re: Why is chat gone? [Re: JoieDeVivre] * 1
    #17807662 - 02/15/13 02:42 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

JoieDeVivre said:
I know what happened with IRC and I don't see how chatterbox was at risk for a similar instance. I don't see why chat was allowed to go on for so long if it was going to be deleted based upon what had already happened with a prior chat client.

So this isn't up for discussion at all? The only people who have any say are the people who had little to no experience with chat? Why are the forums not deleted? There's much more drama, flaming, bans and moderator complaints in regards to the forums. I'm just not understanding the rationale behind such a harsh decision.

Instead of complaining about a lack of chat, please start a new one.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDEZn00ts
The Wizard of The Midwest
Male

Loc: Anus, Cantaffordit
Re: Why is chat gone? [Re: Ythan]
    #17807665 - 02/15/13 02:42 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Ythan said:
I'm really sorry to take away a service you were enjoying. :frown: I feel bad, but I think it was the right decision for the site. Let me just copy and paste some of the posts I made in the mod forum where I was arguing to close chat and hopefully you can see where I'm coming from:

Quote:

Yah I also have concerns about chat. I'm seeing lots of chat-related bans in the BoM without any supporting evidence, and I'm also getting numerous complaints about chat OPs and poor moderation. I'm worried it may end up with the same problems as IRC, where there isn't enough of a senior staff presence to ensure it's run according to our standards. But as Sell Your Soul pointed out to me, it's still a useful resource for people with pressing cultivation questions and that sort of thing. I don't have a good solution in mind, but I do think we should try to keep chat on a very tight leash. It seems to degenerate very quickly.

Quote:

I would really like to ditch chat entirely. I don't agree that the solution is just to "get in there and do some moderating". We simply don't have the time or resources for that, that's why IRC got so out of control in the first place. If we were able to oversee chat effectively, we could just re-launch IRC and keep a proper staff presence there. Changing the type of chat or the server where it's hosted isn't going to alter the fundamental problem. With the ability for chat mods to ban people from the BB, it's causing way more drama than IRC ever did, and crossing over to the site more often. I really think we should sever ties with chat. No irc.shroomery.org. No shroomery.org/chat. If someone wants to host an unofficial chat server for Shroomery members, nobody is stopping them. It has literally never been cheaper or easier. But right now, more than ever, it's only serving to piss off members and create hassle for staff. I think it's a mistake to keep offering this service in any sort of official capacity. It's just going to continue reflecting poorly on the site.

Quote:

So I just got this PM, it's one of many complaints I've received about chat recently:

Quote:

I have been a member here for a long time and i thought this site was about helping people and harm reduction.

My best friend died today of an overdose and i went into the chat to warn my shroomery brothers to be safe, and that life isnt worth drugs killing you.

i was told i was a junkie and my friend deserved to die and all this shit. then i was kicked from the room for flaming by stateofmind404.

when i came here it was nothing like this, it was about love.

i came here to talk to someone who would understand and was shit on by mods that you have put in place.

is this the kind of site you wanna be running? i was in mourning and now i am just sick to my stomach.

please man, think about the messages that are being put out by the site.

in the end it all falls back on your name.

much love

I've made my thoughts on chat known already, this is just the icing on the cake for me.

Should will kill chat? Let's do four days of voting and go with the majority decision. To be clear, when I talk about killing chat, I mean cutting all official association with any chat service. People can start their own unofficial chat rooms if they want, but they won't be endorsed or supported by the Shroomery.

The staff voted, and there were 19 people in favor of closing chat, 3 against it, and 1 who didn't have a preference. With such an overwhelming majority I felt confident with the decision, even though I knew it would upset some people.

When we first introduced Shroomery chat, there weren't a lot of chat options available and it served an important purpose. But it's extremely simple to create a chat room these days. You literally just have to go to http://tinychat.com/ and click a button. Or if someone wants to run their own IRC or Chatterbox implementation, they can do it on a shared server which costs $5/month. I absolutely encourage people to create and maintain an unofficial Shroomery chat room, I just don't think the site should be directly associated with it.

Anyway I hope that makes sense, even if you don't like my answer. Again, I'm sorry to disappoint you by removing this feature!

Why don't you just Ban people who were in the wrong??????? doesn't make any sense . ADAM AND EVE!!!!

--------------------

"it's genetic. Asians are better at math if born in America or Asia. Black people run faster born in Africa or America. White people are still more racist no matter where they were born either. it's genetic." -bodhisatta

InvisibleAcidic_SlothM
Acidic poly-Sided Di-slothamide
 User Gallery

Loc: ainrofilac Flag
Re: Why is chat gone? [Re: JoieDeVivre]
    #17807666 - 02/15/13 02:42 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

your chat, or someone else's chat could be used by any Shroomery member; Ythan even encouraged anyone who wanted to make their own chat to post a link to it in this thread, or make a thread promoting it. but we will no longer provide chat services to our members in an official capacity.

it was discussed, and a consensus was reached. i'm truly sorry you are unhappy with our decision, but it is what it is.

--------------------
-- Accept my heart warming gift of TREE SCRATCHIES!!! I absolve thee!! --

JaP: 30,000 lines of gay, cock, and fag can't be wrong
Ped: only in #shroomery is "smuggle opium in her ass" followed by "i don't want shitty opium" which is followed by " *** Joins: PENISSQUAD"
--
JaP: What would this place be without random sluts?
JaP: Nothing, I tell you.

:heart: :todcasil: :heart:

InvisibleEnlilMDiscord
OTD God-King
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Uncanny Valley
Re: Why is chat gone? [Re: ShroomDoom] * 2
    #17807675 - 02/15/13 02:43 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

I'm not a mod...I never have been.  I got away with murder on a regular basis in chat, and I shouldn't have.

You were a poor choice because you played favorites...you turned a blind eye to certain proscribed conduct and banned others for that same conduct.  Consistency is paramount in these things.

--------------------
Censoring opposing views since 2014.

Ask an Attorney

Fuck the Amish

InvisibleJoieDeVivre
Hippie Babysitter
Female User Gallery

Loc: Gamehenge
Re: Why is chat gone? [Re: Acidic_Sloth] * 1
    #17807679 - 02/15/13 02:44 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Acidic_Sloth said:
it was discussed, and a consensus was reached. i'm truly sorry you are unhappy with our decision, but it is what it is.

It wasn't discussed rationally or with people who even use chat. For most forum mods, there was a huge bias against chat and even without these problems it would have been voted down.

--------------------
Sapere aude

"We cannot live for ourselves alone. Our lives are connected by a thousand invisible threads, and along these sympathetic fibers, our actions run as causes and return to us as results."

UBUNTU- I am because we are.

InvisibleshLong
Male User Gallery

Loc: 'sconsin Flag
Re: Why is chat gone? [Re: Acidic_Sloth]
    #17807682 - 02/15/13 02:45 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Acidic_Sloth said:
your chat, or someone else's chat could be used by any Shroomery member; Ythan even encouraged anyone who wanted to make their own chat to post a link to it in this thread, or make a thread promoting it. but we will no longer provide chat services to our members in an official capacity.

I'm even offering to fund it

OfflineShroomDoom
Friend of the Medicine
 User Gallery

Loc: A Psychedelic State Flag
Re: Why is chat gone? [Re: Acidic_Sloth] * 1
    #17807686 - 02/15/13 02:45 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Acidic_Sloth said:

Fair enough. I can live with that. However think your decision is cowardly, lazy, and catering to the trolls who have truly won this time. I'm so disgusted with the behavior of those people who have completely gotten the best of what is supposed to be an intelligent forward-thinking community. It's a shame.....I'll live though. On with the stream of impermanence. :werd:

--------------------

OfflinePOWAtrippinDiscord
Decidedly Undecided.
Male User Gallery

Loc: zone 9b
Re: Why is chat gone? [Re: ShroomDoom] * 1
    #17807690 - 02/15/13 02:46 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Huh, so enlil literally complains when he is banned from the chat and when he is NOT banned from the chat.  I wish I could go back to that WAF post where he complained.

--------------------
Don't believe everything you think.  TRADE LIST

‹Sell Your Soul› You know this place is owned and operated by the Illuminati, right?
‹lsdwithme› i possibly just smoked a rat turd :facepalm:

OfflineDEZn00ts
The Wizard of The Midwest
Male

Loc: Anus, Cantaffordit
Re: Why is chat gone? [Re: Enlil]
    #17807691 - 02/15/13 02:46 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Alan Rockefeller said:
Quote:

JoieDeVivre said:
I know what happened with IRC and I don't see how chatterbox was at risk for a similar instance. I don't see why chat was allowed to go on for so long if it was going to be deleted based upon what had already happened with a prior chat client.

So this isn't up for discussion at all? The only people who have any say are the people who had little to no experience with chat? Why are the forums not deleted? There's much more drama, flaming, bans and moderator complaints in regards to the forums. I'm just not understanding the rationale behind such a harsh decision.

Instead of complaining about a lack of chat, please start a new one.

Some people only came here because of chat, we are not ment to make chat, and why would they take it if you're ass is gonna tell us to make one?
Quote:

Enlil said:
I'm not a mod...I never have been.  I got away with murder on a regular basis in chat, and I shouldn't have.

You were a poor choice because you played favorites...you turned a blind eye to certain proscribed conduct and banned others for that same conduct.  Consistency is paramount in these things.

Yea, the mods should be banned, not chat, you guy's are gonna make more bad decisions and lose more fanbase. This sites gonna end up like that OTHER one.....

--------------------

"it's genetic. Asians are better at math if born in America or Asia. Black people run faster born in Africa or America. White people are still more racist no matter where they were born either. it's genetic." -bodhisatta

InvisibleEnlilMDiscord
OTD God-King
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Why is chat gone? [Re: POWAtrippin]
    #17807701 - 02/15/13 02:47 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

POWAtrippin said:
Huh, so enlil literally complains when he is banned from the chat and when he is NOT banned from the chat.  I wish I could go back to that WAF post where he complained.

I've never been banned from chat...I should have been many times.

--------------------

Ask an Attorney

Fuck the Amish

InvisibleJoieDeVivre
Hippie Babysitter
Female User Gallery

Re: Why is chat gone? [Re: Alan Rockefeller] * 1
    #17807704 - 02/15/13 02:47 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

So basically this isn't up for discussion at all, and anyone who questions the decisions made and the rationale behind the decision is going to be brushed off. Saying "do it on your own if you want it so bad," is a little childish in my opinion when I'm trying to have an actual discussion about this and make constructive suggestions. With the number of times Shroomery has had a chat functionality I can see another one popping up in the future. If so many users want one, why not just implement one correctly the first time rather than creating one and getting rid of it the first time a problem pops up? :confused:

--------------------
Sapere aude

"We cannot live for ourselves alone. Our lives are connected by a thousand invisible threads, and along these sympathetic fibers, our actions run as causes and return to us as results."

OfflineShroomDoom
Friend of the Medicine
 User Gallery

#17807705 - 02/15/13 02:48 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Enlil said:

favorites...you turned a blind eye to certain proscribed conduct and banned others for that same conduct.  Consistency is paramount in these things.

No proof of this. Never saw you break the rules so I'm not sure what you got away with that equates to murder.

--------------------

OfflinePOWAtrippinDiscord
Decidedly Undecided.
Male User Gallery

Loc: zone 9b
    #17807709 - 02/15/13 02:48 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Enlil said:
Quote:

POWAtrippin said:

I've never been banned from chat...I should have been many times.

That is false, you were, you even made a WAF thread in which burke dennings loled at you for complaining about it.

--------------------
Don't believe everything you think.  TRADE LIST

‹Sell Your Soul› You know this place is owned and operated by the Illuminati, right?
‹lsdwithme› i possibly just smoked a rat turd :facepalm:

OfflineMushyMatt
LSD-25
Male User Gallery

Loc: Under a Mushroom
Re: Why is chat gone? [Re: DEZn00ts] * 3
    #17807711 - 02/15/13 02:48 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

This website, is officially falling apart.

Well, RIP Shroomery 13'

--------------------
Reborn - 6/08/13

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery
Re: Why is chat gone? [Re: JoieDeVivre]
    #17807727 - 02/15/13 02:51 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

JoieDeVivre said:
So basically this isn't up for discussion at all

Correct, we made our decision.

Quote:

and anyone who questions the decisions made and the rationale behind the decision is going to be brushed off.

You can complain all you want, but I suggest you find something more productive to do with your time.  Like making a chat room.

Quote:

Saying "do it on your own if you want it so bad," is a little childish in my opinion when I'm trying to have an actual discussion about this and make constructive suggestions.

Ok, don't chat. 

Quote:

If so many users want one, why not just implement one correctly the first time rather than creating one and getting rid of it the first time a problem pops up? :confused:

It's not possible to properly implement chat - that is the nature of the beast.

InvisibleEnlilMDiscord
OTD God-King
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Why is chat gone? [Re: POWAtrippin]
    #17807734 - 02/15/13 02:51 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

No...I wasn't banned at any point from chat, greed...You're remembering that thread incorrectly.  It was not about a banning at all.

--------------------

Ask an Attorney

Fuck the Amish

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Loc: Mod not God Flag
    #17807737 - 02/15/13 02:52 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Chat takes a TON of time to properly moderate.

It is a tough situation for Staffers because they don't have the time to learn and live within the chat culture. Therefore, they can not staff chat the way they staff the forums. It is incredibly difficult to get up and running at Shroomery standards.

I understand why it can be troublesome.

It really should be worth the effort but if there isn't proper quality control, well...?

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

InvisibleAcidic_SlothM
Acidic poly-Sided Di-slothamide
 User Gallery

Loc: ainrofilac Flag
Re: Why is chat gone? [Re: JoieDeVivre] * 2
    #17807738 - 02/15/13 02:52 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

it was reached rationally; it had been being discussed since chat was first implemented and finally reached consensus. it was launched too hastily, and the fallout of that means that it could not be run properly, so it had to go. before it was even implemented, we tried to figure out ways to get it to work right, but again, it was a hasty decision to launch when we did and unfortunately for those who enjoyed chat, that means it is no more.

ShroomDoom: the amount of direct flaming by you toward our users and toward the administration is enough to have had you banned at this point; something i will not personally do as long as you cut it out. but it definitely emphasizes the poor choice in ops that were chosen. as Enlil mentioned, you were an op in a professional capacity, and you have acted entirely unprofessionally on this matter. as i was never in chat myself, i can't speak as to your attitude while it was still up, but i would not be surprised if it were the same as you are showing now.

Joie: you have now been told by an admin and two moderators that it is not up for discussion. i don't know why you keep asking. it was NOT implemented correctly the first time, so your argument is moot. we will not be going for round 3 (IRC was round 1).

--------------------
-- Accept my heart warming gift of TREE SCRATCHIES!!! I absolve thee!! --

JaP: 30,000 lines of gay, cock, and fag can't be wrong
Ped: only in #shroomery is "smuggle opium in her ass" followed by "i don't want shitty opium" which is followed by " *** Joins: PENISSQUAD"
--
JaP: What would this place be without random sluts?
JaP: Nothing, I tell you.

:heart: :todcasil: :heart:

OfflineShroomDoom
Friend of the Medicine
 User Gallery

Re: Why is chat gone? [Re: Acidic_Sloth]
    #17807761 - 02/15/13 02:55 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Acidic_Sloth said:
it was reached rationally; it had been being discussed since chat was first implemented and finally reached consensus. it was launched too hastily, and the fallout of that means that it could not be run properly, so it had to go. before it was even implemented, we tried to figure out ways to get it to work right, but again, it was a hasty decision to launch when we did and unfortunately for those who enjoyed chat, that means it is no more.

ShroomDoom: the amount of direct flaming by you toward our users and toward the administration is enough to have had you banned at this point; something i will not personally do as long as you cut it out. but it definitely emphasizes the poor choice in ops that were chosen. as Enlil mentioned, you were an op in a professional capacity, and you have acted entirely unprofessionally on this matter. as i was never in chat myself, i can't speak as to your attitude while it was still up, but i would not be surprised if it were the same as you are showing snow.

So because I get fed up with cowardice and trolls I'm unprofessional? Please. I think we know who is really unprofessional : the moderators that can't hit IGNORE or use the Ban button, or delete PMs from users leaking trouble over to the forums. That's unprofessional and lazy.

--------------------

InvisibleJoieDeVivre
Hippie Babysitter
Female User Gallery

Re: Why is chat gone? [Re: Alan Rockefeller] * 1
    #17807762 - 02/15/13 02:55 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

If it's possible to implement a huge forum with a wide user base I don't see why it should be any more difficult to implement a chat that works. In fact the only real problem with this chat, as has been admitted several time sin this thread, was some of the users which is the same problem with the forums.

Am I being told that as a supporter my opinion is not valid? Is trying to have a discussion really "whining" and wasting my time? If so I can be sure that I'll not be contributing any further funds to this site. :shrug:

It's clear that you guys had a poll, not a discussion, and that poll was presented mostly to people who already had a huge bias against chat. How is that a fair and rational discussion?

--------------------
Sapere aude

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | Next > | Last >

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom