Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleMushMushi
Loc: Canada
Look what I found !
    #1777700 - 08/04/03 08:43 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Hello!
I went into the forest this morning and I found these...

The first pictures are pleurotus, I think. But, I don't know which kind.. Ostreatus? Porrigens? Populinus?  I couldn't say what the tree was (it was laying down) and there were hundreds of them. The mushrooms are white and they smell like oysters. They grow in clusters (I mean together). They have white gills and a very small stem. ***There were a lot of them, problably more than 3-4 kg.
I believe they are comestible... What do you think ?

This one is not gray!! It's white... Shitty webcam  :sad:

Next...
This is a mushroom I found growing near a tree (I don't think it was a conifer, but I'm not sure). It was growing between decomposed leaves and forest floor. It has a cocoon. The stem is yellow and solid. The cap looks like a tit. It's red in the center, and orange on the edges.
I picked it because it's a very nice mushroom.

The cocoon!!  It was not in the soil.

The tit!

Finally...
This might be a ramaria, clavicorona or clavaria mushroom. They were growing near a rock, in the forest floor. It does have a small stem.
My books are way too vague to allow me to identify the mushrooms  correctly.:crazy:.
Anyways, tell me what you think !

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinebillbraski
just some dood.

Loc: the woods behind your hou...
Re: Look what I found ! [Re: MushMushi]
    #1777860 - 08/04/03 10:12 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

the coral fungi looks like ramaria acrisiccescens according to "The new savory wild mushroom" which is what i like to use as my reference book.
It has yellowish spores and is poisonous.

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: Look what I found ! [Re: MushMushi]
    #1777882 - 08/04/03 10:23 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Nice specimens and photographs.

You're lucking out on these, because they're distinctive enough that a spore print isn't required. But you should get in the habit of making one anyway.

Based on appearance, if I found those here (Colorado) I'd call your oyster mushrooms Pleurotus populinus. They look a bit too thick and heavy bodied to be Pleurocybella porrigens. Certainly they fit into the Pleurotus osctreatus complex of species, all of which are edible.

The red mushroom is an Amanita from the Amanita caesarea group of species. Given that you're in Canada, it's likely to be Amanita jacksonii. Note that the number of species and names of the species in the Amanita caesarea complex are all being studied and subject to update, so the exact species may not be possible to pin down currently. These species are edible, but you should probably have a local expert verify the ID before you consider eating it. The consequences of an error with Amanitas are too high to mess around with.

Your coral mushroom looks like it's probably a Ramaria. To verify that ID (just to genus!) you need to get some Ferrous Sulfate. A drop of FeSO4 on the branches will turn the flesh green to blue-green (that's actually the defining character for the genus Ramaria). Unfortunately, the branches on yours are long and "cardboard-colored" (as Michael Beug describes it), which means it's probably not a young specimen. That means that you'll need a microscope and chemical reagents to ID it to species. Even with that stuff Ramarias are really difficult to ID.

Things you can check that might make the coral a bit easier to ID. Cut it in half vertically, and see if the inside is somewhat gelatinous. Does it have a distinctive odor? Does it bruise when you cut it in half (Especially check near the base)?

Hapy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

InvisibleMushMushi
Loc: Canada
Re: Look what I found ! [Re: ToxicMan]
    #1777936 - 08/04/03 10:57 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I couldn't take a print yet because all the mushroom were wet... It was raining when I picked them.

I have cut the coral mushroom vertically and well, nothing much happened. The odor was the same (pleasant mushroomy smell) and it wasn't gelatinous. Perhaps the specimens were old :frown:

Thanks for your comments and your ids !
:wink:

I'm going to cook these oysters :wink:

Anonymous

#1777954 - 08/04/03 11:09 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

- Post History Deleted Upon User's Request -

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Look what I found ! [Re: ]
    #1778074 - 08/04/03 11:52 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I've been using mostly habitat to differentiate (as suggested by Vera Evenson).

Here in Colorado, Pleurotus ostreatus is rare - it tends to be an eastern species. Out west we have Pleurotus pulmonarius instead. I'm not sure how I'd tell the two apart with specimens in front of me.

Pleurotus populinus is also fairly common here. It's whiter that P. pulmonarius and grows at altitude on aspens. It also tends to be a little less robust than the lower altitude oyster mushrooms.

Pleurocybella porrigens (I don't know why they split it out to another genus) is a pure white, much thinner, less fleshy mushroom than those others. It also seems to be less likely to have a noticeable stem as the others do. I haven't seen it locally.

The other species in the genus I look up in books because I haven't seen them or needed to know about them.

Not a lot, but hopefully some help.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Anonymous

#1778119 - 08/04/03 12:08 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

- Post History Deleted Upon User's Request -

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Look what I found ! [Re: ]
    #1779442 - 08/04/03 07:53 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Vera did the micro work and decided that our local oysters were all Pleurotus pulmonarius, and she's enough of an authority that everybody will take her word for it, including the professionals.

I haven't found anything that tells me when Pleurocybella got split off or when P porrigens got moved into it. My books also state that some mycologists still keep them in Pleurotus, so either name is probably OK right now.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds