Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon Toilet Paper

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineonr
Stranger
Are these still edible?
    #1777918 - 08/04/03 12:46 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Hi, first off I'm not sure if this is the right forum for my question, but it seemed the closest, so feel free to move it if you fidn that it would be better suited for another forum :smile:

I recently got a bag of shrooms from some friends.  Several cubensis and a cyanescens  Problem is, they where stored fresh, in a sealed plastic bag for an unkown (to me) amount of time.  The caps (seperated from the stems) are pretty much shriveled an dark.  The stems are still quite solid but also turning a bit dark.  The caps are kinda slimy as well.  They still look (to me) pretty edible.  I've been picking shrooms for about a year now.  Also, as to smell, they're stankin' up my closet with shroom smell, not really bad, just kinda potent.  They still have blue bruises on the stems and caps.  I now have them drying on a paper towel and plan to eat them later today.  Are these still edible?  I cannot (visually) see any contamination.  Is it safe to eat shrooms in this condition, any idea what percent of psilocybin has been lost?  I apolgize for being somewhat vague and not including any pictures.  Thanks much, any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Are these still edible? [Re: onr]
    #1777985 - 08/04/03 01:19 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I personally would not want to eat them! :frown:

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: Are these still edible? [Re: angryshroom]
    #1778055 - 08/04/03 01:44 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Think of them in terms of mushrooms you'd buy from the grocery store. If they were regular food, would you eat them in that condition? The CDC estimates that there are 325,000 cases in the US of food poisoning each year requiring hospitalization and 5,000 deaths. Eating spoiled food is begging to join those statistics (C'mon! 325,000 people can't be wrong!)

One of the best indications of spoilage is odor. Many of the bacteria responsible for food spoilage and food poisoning produce strong odors. The fact that they're "stankin' up my closet with shroom smell" is not a good sign. Neither is the statement that "the caps are kinda slimy." Those are indicators that your mushrooms are heavily contaminated with bacteria and are rotting.

At a minimum you need to go through and separate out the stuff that's clearly going bad (slimy, stinks) from the stuff that isn't. And don't be surprised if you spend some time puking or having diarrhea.

As to potency, it goes down with time, and probably with bacterial contamination. So they've probably lost some.

Just use common sense, and think of them like something from the grocery store.

Good luck!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

OfflineBeamer
Stranger
Re: Are these still edible? [Re: ToxicMan]
    #1780006 - 08/05/03 01:10 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

AngryShroom that was a top dog analogy of the cituation! I would follow that advice then I would go tell my friend to bring me a fresh bag!!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon Toilet Paper

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification