Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineBatFly
captain obvious

dark lines in pf jar (pic)
    #1775390 - 08/03/03 12:24 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

one of my 4 pf jars has these strange brown lines on the area where myc meets the jar. the mycelium looks very healthy and rhizomorphic and is still growing. this batch of jars is only me second ever. the first time i packed it way to much and it took almost a whole month to colonize. so the second time i didn't pack it at all. now the myc shrinks a LOT more and quicker too. i'm just hoping this doesn't make enough air room to breed contams! any help or coments on what this could be/is will be greatly appreciated. also, what is the correct/best way to fill the jars? tap, not to tap, what do you do?

here's a pic of the jar:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

Loc: Passing Cloud
Re: dark lines in pf jar (pic) [Re: BatFly]
    #1775429 - 08/03/03 12:40 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

do you have those holes covered on your jars? Or do you have means of passive air exchange... like foil? Did you put the dry vermiculite layer on?

that doesnt look good at all. Do you notice any smells? I wouldnt stuff your face into it... but like "waft" the air near the jar. I dont know... i would wait for a second opinion on that. That does look like a contam, but not one i have come across. That has to definately be a contam. If you look closely you can see that its on the cake itself... it just seeems to be poking through the mycelium.

what were your preparations for your substrate? What mixture did you use? Was it BRF? Organic... Unprocessed...whats the mix.  :smile2:

--------------------
What?

OfflineBatFly
captain obvious

Re: dark lines in pf jar (pic) [Re: Zero7a1]
    #1775666 - 08/03/03 02:11 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

it has a dry verm layer (1/2 inch) that is all. i poked four hols in they lid. i did the half part verm, 1/4 part organically grown brown rice flour, 1/4 part water (mmgg method) and added the half inch of dry verm. didn't tap it down AT ALL. boiled it for an hour. injected with a syringe about 1/4 cc on each hole. flamed the needle about every other hole. did not tape over the hole. the other jars are perfectly fine, and my last jar that is fruiting now did not have the hole taped over either.

there is no smell at all. it is on the cake itself, but only on the edges of the myc and only right where it touches the glass. very strange.

yes, i agree, more opinions, as many as possible would be great.

OfflineSev
Astropath
Loc: NY
    #1775708 - 08/03/03 02:28 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

That's some strange, skiffy looking shit there. I'm gonna hedge my bets and guess some kind of strange contam.

--------------------
"Do we want the stars? We can have them. Can we borrow cups of fire from the sun? We can and must and light the world." --"On the Shoulders of Giants", Ray Bradbury

All of my posts are full of fiction and blatant lies.

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

Loc: Passing Cloud
    #1775763 - 08/03/03 02:50 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

well normally contams grown ON the mycelium itself... and feed off of it. maybe the mycelium itself is sick. *cough cough* poor mycelium. Did you bake your mixture before you (steamed or pc'd it)? I put my stuff in the oven to make sure there was nothing that would be added in.... coooked in to my stuff. and i thought it worked really well... and im going to continue to do that through the rest of my practice. I would get a pc... but thats just me. I spooned my stuff in... it works really well :wink:

--------------------
What?

Anonymous

#1775980 - 08/03/03 04:06 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Oooh, that's weird! I'm trying to wrack my neural branches to see what kind of contam that might be (if it is a contam at all), but it's eluding my memory at this moment...

MAIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :eyemouth:

OfflineBatFly
captain obvious

#1776345 - 08/03/03 07:05 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

nah, didn't bake. to my understanding, couldn't that break down some of the nutrients in the substrate causing smaller flushes.

also, just found out something, the box they were in was moved, the jars toppled, and then put back in place ( my girly friend i live with just told me). so, i wonder if that could be myc bruising? or would that be blue? i don't know, thought it might be an important contributer?!

also, to all, thanx for the time you all are spending pondering on this!!!

OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
    #1777457 - 08/04/03 04:19 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

It's hard to tell judging by the pic. An important question is for how long is it colonizing ?
Anyway, i've seen something similar before. If the colonization stalls at some time leaving a portion of uncolonized substrate, the colonized portion will begin to shrink making some cracks where the colonized substrate meets the uncolonized substrate. Well, i don't know why but it seems that when/if the mycelium begins to recover, that crack has usually an excess of excretion, so it could be mycelium piss.
Can't you take a pic with a little more light ? I'm also worried with that round stuff you can see at right. Comments ?

MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

OfflineBatFly
captain obvious

Re: dark lines in pf jar (pic) [Re: MAIA]
    #1777858 - 08/04/03 10:11 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

it was innoculated on the 14th

OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
    #1778252 - 08/04/03 12:58 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

That's a good timming. Wacth how it goes and report any change, all you can do now is wait and see.

MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: dark lines in pf jar (pic) [Re: MAIA]
    #1778262 - 08/04/03 01:00 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Hmm... that could be worms (nematodes) or insect larva eating away at mycelium and leaving a trail of destruction behind.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineBatFly
captain obvious

Re: dark lines in pf jar (pic) [Re: Seuss]
    #1778276 - 08/04/03 01:06 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

it's only on the edge or rim of the myc
i isolated it away from the other jars and am monitoring it's progress
also, since yestutday, the myc has grown about 5 to 10% more! there was a tiny dot on the bottom of the jar, now the bottom is almost half covered. so the myc still grows strong!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder