Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineRoKiSdEaD
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Flag
My first pics for this year :)
    #1775924 - 08/03/03 03:50 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Hey guys, I havent posted in this forum in ages :smile: Anyway, I was wanting an ID on one of these mushrooms, the others are just to look at, I dont really care if you ID them or not cuz I know they arent good edibles or actives, but you can give it a shot if you want to. Anyway, the one I want ID'ed is the chanterelle looking one, I want to know if it is indeed a chanterelle. Also, if it is, what is a nice way to prepare this guy :smile: Anyway, here are my first pics of the year:

Here is the chanterelle(?):

Here is a nice looking earthstar:

and what I believe is a russula of sorts (?):

Thats all the room I have guys :frown: I will upload some more from this hunt ASAP, if you guys are interested :smile: Anyway, catch yall l8er :smile:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: My first pics for this year :) [Re: RoKiSdEaD]
    #1775925 - 08/03/03 03:52 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Nice pictures! Those chantrelles look yummy!!! :laugh:

Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

#1775926 - 08/03/03 03:52 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

ERrrrrrrrr...

Im sorry, I just screwed up. Double post!

Edited by angryshroom (08/03/03 03:54 PM)

OfflineRoKiSdEaD
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: My first pics for this year :) [Re: angryshroom]
    #1775966 - 08/03/03 04:02 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Awesome, I found something decent :smile:) There are a TON of these dudes out there in the woods also, maybe I should go stock up :smile:

Offlineaminitaman
FUK THAGOVERNMENT,IMSMOKIN' BLUNTSAND LOVIN' IT

Loc: Tha BlueGrass State,Kentu...
    #1776098 - 08/03/03 05:06 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Nice pic's,whats the name of that shroom in tha middle?

--------------------
its tha big parafenizzle
with tha big mushroomizzle
ya gotta know its off tha hizzle

OfflineRoKiSdEaD
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: My first pics for this year :) [Re: aminitaman]
    #1776125 - 08/03/03 05:19 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

If you are talking about that very odd one, that is some species of earthstar, not sure exactly what kind. We get them around here all the time, my fiance and I found some last fall, and were surprised to see them already this year.

Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

#1776203 - 08/03/03 05:52 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

The earthstar resembles Geastrum saccatum.

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #1776319 - 08/03/03 06:51 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Nice photos and IDs.

The chanterelles are very good to eat. If you've got 'em coming up, go for it.

One minor word of warning. There is a False Chanterelle (Hygrophoropsis aurantiacum). If you're not familiar with it in your book, look it up. There is some evidence that they may be mildly poisonous, causing nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea (there are a few recorded cases). If you compare the two, you'll be able to tell which is which without too much trouble.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

OfflineRoKiSdEaD
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: My first pics for this year :) [Re: ToxicMan]
    #1776346 - 08/03/03 07:06 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

thanks toxicman :smile: From what my book says, the false chanterelle has "real" gills, unlike my specimens, wich are more like ridges than gills. It also says that the false chanterelle is edible. Hmmm. Maybe one of those touchy species, like honey mushrooms, I guess. Thanks for the info Toxicman, I am looking forward to trying these guys :smile:

OfflineRoKiSdEaD
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#1776348 - 08/03/03 07:09 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Also, what is the best method for eating these guys? Raw, sauteed (or however it is spelled), or what? Thanks guys :smile:

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #1776459 - 08/03/03 07:51 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

You got the basic idea. Be alert for the false chanterelles. Lots of books say they're edible, but there are some credible poisoning reports that say they've made people sick. Since nobody says they're good to eat, you're best off avoiding them if possible.

Search the Internet for recipes. There are more recipes for them out there than you can wiggle a mouse at. The one main recommendation I have is that no mushrooms should be eaten raw. There are exceptions, but not a lot of them. Lots of edible mushrooms contain toxins that are destroyed by heating (morels are one of the best known examples).

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

OfflineRoKiSdEaD
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#1776495 - 08/03/03 08:01 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks for the info Toxicman. I have no idea how the hell you know all this stuff, but you kick ass :smile:

InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

Loc: Arizona
    #1776525 - 08/03/03 08:07 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Beautiful! :laugh:

Thanks for sharing the great pics, and nice finds!!! 

--------------------
Namaste.

Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

#1776658 - 08/03/03 08:49 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah, if you're specimens have veins or ridges rather than gills, you're probably good.

Also, smell the specimens, they have a mushroomy fruity smell to them.

You can also split one open and observe the very nice fluffy yet firm meat. :laugh:

OfflineRoKiSdEaD
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#1776767 - 08/03/03 09:22 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Man these are great. I cooked them up in a stir fry, and they are awesome. They did smell very fruity (like apricots), and mushroomy at the same time. I tried one plain before I put them in the stir fry (i sauteed them seperately), and they were just about too shroomy for my tastes :smile: But they are great in a stir fry, I'll tell ya that :smile:

Thanks for the nice comments about my pics guys, I was pretty proud of how well they turned out :smile: And from a 99 dollar digital camera that has a maxx resolution of 640x480, I thought they looked pretty damn good as well :smile:I'll try to upload some more from the hunt tomorrow.

BTW, was I right about that last one being a russula of sorts?

Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

#1776782 - 08/03/03 09:27 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Glad to hear you liked them. I put mine in a stirfry as well, and they are great.

Another little secret about chantrelles: when you find one specimen, dig around the humus and area for other specimens. Every occasion where I've found chantrelles, Ive dug around and found at least another 3 - 5 specimens under all the leaf litter.

Its hard to say what that mushroom is on the bottom. We would need another shot of the gills and a sporeprint would help too. The picture posted above shows the basic mushroom appearance w/o any details. Its also such a generic looking mushroom! :laugh:

It could definetly be a Russula, but, doesnt look too edible.

OfflineRoKiSdEaD
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#1776813 - 08/03/03 09:38 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

We have those russula looking things everywhere man, and none of them look very appetizing :frown: There were plenty more of these chanterelles out there, I just wanted to get an expert opinion to go along with my amateur one to make sure :smile: I'll prolly go get some more tomorrow :smile: What is the best way to preserve them, while losing the least amount of flavor?

I didn't really intend on that mushroom to be identified ( I knew it wasnt anything special), thats why I just took one pic :smile:

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #1776843 - 08/03/03 09:50 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Some people dry chanterelles.

Personally, I prefer to minimally cook them in a little butter, then freeze them in meal-sized chunks. Then, when I want them, I just pop 'em right into whatever I'm making.

I should warn you that I know of a case where some people were poisoned by chanterelles that were frozen raw. The mushrooms were positively identified as being chanterelles. We don't know the precise cause, but recommend that you not preserve them that way. The poisoning wasn't severe, and suggested a mild food poisoning.

You might also try looking it up on the Internet. I'm sure a Google search will give you plenty of good ideas on how to preserve them.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

OfflineRoKiSdEaD
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#1776853 - 08/03/03 09:56 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Wow ToxicMan, I'm glad you said something about that, cuz that was gonna be my method of choice :smile: So I shall saute' and freeze :smile: That is very odd about those people, I wonder if maybe it just rotted somehow or something. Strange.. Thanks a ton for the heads up, would hate to end up missing work over a frozen mushroom  :crazy:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder