Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineMalachi
stereotype

Loc: Around Minneapolis.
white privilege: yay or nay?
    #1776654 - 08/03/03 10:47 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

white privilege

I think everyone knows how I vote.

white privilege
yay
nay

Votes accepted from (12/31/69 07:00 PM) to (No end specified)
View the results of this poll

--------------------
The ultimate meaning of our being can only be fulfilled in the paradoxical leap beyond the tragic-demonic frustration. It is a leap from our side, but it is the self-surrendering presence of the Ground of Being from the other side.
- Paul Tillich

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineGernBlanston
unintended sideeffect

Loc: In my pants
Re: white privilege: yay or nay? [Re: Malachi]
    #1776863 - 08/04/03 12:00 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Of course. I can't imagine anyone, no matter how conservative, who would not acknowledge that white privilege exists - at least in this country.

/e waits for those who will, of course, prove him wrong.

--------------------
There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people.
  --  Howard Zinn

OfflineMalachi
stereotype

Re: white privilege: yay or nay? [Re: GernBlanston]
    #1776893 - 08/04/03 12:12 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

you'd be surprised, then, cause many people seem to think that affirmative action is a gravy train.

--------------------
The ultimate meaning of our being can only be fulfilled in the paradoxical leap beyond the tragic-demonic frustration. It is a leap from our side, but it is the self-surrendering presence of the Ground of Being from the other side.
- Paul Tillich

Offlinedawn of a new day
un inglohablante

Loc: Earth
    #1777091 - 08/04/03 01:26 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

so everyone who believes that a white privilege exists also must believe that affirmative action is the right way to deal with it?

--------------------
"Why is marijuana against the law? It grows naturally upon our planet. Doesn't the idea of making nature against the law seem to you a bit . . . unnatural?"
- Bill Hicks

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
    #1777173 - 08/04/03 02:08 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I stopped reading here:

"I can be casual about whether or not to listen to another woman's voice in a group in which she is the only member of her race."

I don't even understand what that means..

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

InvisibleDoctorJ
Stranger
 Arcade Champion: Frogger

Loc: space
Re: white privilege: yay or nay? [Re: Strumpling]
    #1777187 - 08/04/03 02:16 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Doctor J is a priveledged motherfucker

but I help the less fortunate whenever I can. What else am I supposed to do? Feel guilty?

--------------------
peace, pot, and microdot!

OfflineMalachi
stereotype

Re: white privilege: yay or nay? [Re: DoctorJ]
    #1777205 - 08/04/03 02:29 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

well, you're supposed to be more aware of it. hopefully that doesn't mean you'll be burdened with the guilt, but a little wouldn't hurt.

the biggest criticism of AA is the denial of white privilege- privilege that whites get regardless of their gender, income class, education level, religon, creed, etc.

if this can be agreed on, it seems silly not to fund efforts to reduce the inequity, i.e. AA or something in that line of thought- after all, our gov't funds such common needs as airlines, farmers, poor multinational corporations, etc....

personally, I just want my land back.

--------------------
- Paul Tillich

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
Re: white privilege: yay or nay? [Re: Strumpling]
    #1777218 - 08/04/03 02:35 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

"White privilege" is a little misleading. I think it has more to do with education and culture. Growing up in ghettos or trailer parks can definitely impede mental growth (artists are exceptions... as oppression can breed new memes). Growing up with two supportive parents and not having to worry about anything besides school and socializing... yeah, this is bound to be easier.

Calling the phenomenon "white privilege" is just as inflammatory as the phrase's cultural innuendo.

Stereotypes are just another form of dogma.

I don't discriminate against people based on skin color, gender, or religion... UNLESS they do so against me. I was called a cracker many times in middle school (desegragation laws actually bussed all the middle-class kids - white, black, hispanics, asian - to a ghetto with a primarily black population) by black and hispanic kids, but I NEVER called them spics or niggers. I knew the problem had nothing to do with skin color and EVERYTHING to do with culture and finances. Hell, there were black suburban kids who rode my bus and got into just as many fights with the ghetto kids as I did.

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
Re: white privilege: yay or nay? [Re: Sclorch]
    #1777240 - 08/04/03 02:45 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

1/64th of me wants my land back, too.

Welcome to the melting pot.

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
Re: white privilege: yay or nay? [Re: Sclorch]
    #1777296 - 08/04/03 03:30 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

"Welcome to the melting pot."

eeww, what a stickey mess!

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

OfflineHagbardCeline
Student-Teacher-Student-Teacher
Male User Gallery

Loc: Overjoyed, at the bottom ...
    #1777323 - 08/04/03 03:57 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Why in the world should I feel even a little guilty because of circumstances that are beyond my control? 

AA is only perpetuating the racial divide.  It simply another form of discrimination.  With it, I am being penalized because I am white.  I have seen on the news, local black leaders calling for the support of their "own."  What would happen if a white man did that? 

So it seems, we must supress one group in order for the other to catch up. :nonono:

Each sucessive generation, with their MTV indoctrination teaching tolerance and diversity, they become more and more acceptive.  I believe AA is actually counter-productive, and person saying this will lead to more tolerance, is failing to see the long term picture.

What's weird about it is it seems that only the black leaders have issues.  How many black people have ever said they felt shafted by not having viscous storms named after them?  :rolleyes:  They seem to want to keep the issues alive just so they will have something to talk about.

--------------------
I keep it real because I think it is important that a highly esteemed individual such as myself keep it real lest they experience the dreaded spontaneous non-existance of no longer keeping it real. - Hagbard Celine

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?

Loc: Lost In Space
    #1777565 - 08/04/03 08:37 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Malachi said:
you'd be surprised, then, cause many people seem to think that affirmative action is a gravy train.

So, giving someone a job or a slot in school that they're unqualified for isn't a gravy train?

Treating a group as if they're too stupid to succeed on their own is foolish.

Not to mention the angry backlash from those who would have made it had it not be for some unqualified charity case getting the spot.

Race shouldn't even be allowed on applications.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: white privilege: yay or nay? [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #1777582 - 08/04/03 09:01 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Where I live it is 10% white, 90% black.  It is kind of interesting to be on the other side for a change, though to be honest I only notice something every now and then.  People can be racist regardless of their color.  :smile:

The most interesting incendent was when I was standing in line at subway for lunch.  I was next in line until a couple walked into the store and cut in front of me.  I gave the polite, 'excuse me, but the line starts back there', but was ignored.  After repeating myself a few times, the guy looks at me and says, 'I dont see you... you are too clear'...  The lady behind the counter ignored the couple and took my order next.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Offlinedawn of a new day
un inglohablante

#1777672 - 08/04/03 10:27 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

when was it your land and what gives the right to take it from someone they same way it was taken from others? how do you have any more of a right to it than they do?

--------------------
"Why is marijuana against the law? It grows naturally upon our planet. Doesn't the idea of making nature against the law seem to you a bit . . . unnatural?"
- Bill Hicks

OfflinetrendalM
King of Asides
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada
    #1777765 - 08/04/03 11:17 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Where I live there doesn't seem to be much of a privilege for anyone.

I can assure you that the university I went to, along with MOST universities in Ontario, has white males in the MINORITY.

Your country is messed up, though.

--------------------
BTC - 1KqrSHZ1C3NsQP4g3PkHhppBnhdgyXr6sB

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
Re: white privilege: yay or nay? [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #1778029 - 08/04/03 01:34 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

So, giving someone a job or a slot in school that they're unqualified for isn't a gravy train?

I don't think they would be completely unqualified. They give special preference to applicants of certain races, but they also have to have certain qualifications. An uneducated black guy from the ghetto can't just go to a school and automatically get a job. That's the problem with affirmative action: it doesn't really let poor minority groups get ahead. It just lets middle and upper-class minorities get special treatment over middle and upper-class white people.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

OfflineMalachi
stereotype

Re: white privilege: yay or nay? [Re: dawn of a new day]
    #1778034 - 08/04/03 01:37 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

dawn of a new day said:
when was it your land and what gives the right to take it from someone they same way it was taken from others? how do you have any more of a right to it than they do?

rule of law. america is illegally occupying my land.

--------------------
- Paul Tillich

Offlinedawn of a new day
un inglohablante

#1778048 - 08/04/03 01:41 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

literally the government is using your land? if so, i'm sorry man, that really blows. it's a shame that they can just do that to their citizens.

--------------------
- Bill Hicks

OfflineMalachi
stereotype

Re: white privilege: yay or nay? [Re: silversoul7]
    #1778052 - 08/04/03 01:44 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

silversoul7 said:
Quote:

That's the problem with affirmative action: it doesn't really let poor minority groups get ahead. It just lets middle and upper-class minorities get special treatment over middle and upper-class white people.

you're missing the point. minority groups, regardless of their income, are hindered from achieving what they could because of their race. they don't have the privileges of whites. so the treatment middle class minorities get is an attempt to make their treatment closer to the special treatment whites have always enjoyed in this country.

seriously, if you think that AA is so simple an issue, and the arguments supporting it don't matter, you're an uncultured yokel. lds -- do you have any friends who aren't white? do you enjoy telling them you want to suppress their people? are there black people out there with you in the ozarks?

--------------------
- Paul Tillich

OfflineMalachi
stereotype

Re: white privilege: yay or nay? [Re: dawn of a new day]
    #1778056 - 08/04/03 01:45 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

dawn of a new day said:
literally the government is using your land? if so, i'm sorry man, that really blows. it's a shame that they can just do that to their citizens.

yeah, I don't like it either.

--------------------
- Paul Tillich

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology