Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineShpongloid
WBS-o-phile

Incubation Question
    #1775863 - 08/03/03 03:26 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Hey guys and gals, I'm just about ready to start my first little cake grow and I have a question regarding incubation. I want this grow to go as smooth as possible and I want to go about doing everything correctly, so, in order to keep my incubating cakes within the optimal temperature range I bought an aquarium heater and placed it horizontally on the bottom of my 10 gallon aquarium. I then filled the aquarium with about 2.5 inches of water and turned the sucker on. It stays at 83-85 degrees all the time. Now, I am planning on putting my 12 - 1 pint canning jars directly in the water for the incubation phase. Would this be okay? I don't see why it wouldn't be, but I'm a newbie and I just want to make sure it doesn't pose a threat. I am not going to cover the aquarium so there would be little if no humidity, thus the jars' water content wouldn't fluctuate, correct? Any info, advice, etcetera would be greatly appreciated!

Oh, and one more thing. I noticed many of the different cake-teks recommend using 1/2 pint jars, I, as you already know, will be using 1 pint jars. Are there any reasons for 1/2 pints being the recommended size. Do 1 pint jars yeild a significantly larger amount of shrooms?

--------------------
"...NIDA-supplied marijuana cigarettes weigh approximately .9 grams. A smoker would theoretically have to consume nearly 1,500 pounds of marijuana within about fifteen minutes to induce a lethal response."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePsilocybin_monkey
Shroomer

Loc: Dragon's Den
Re: Incubation Question [Re: Shpongloid]
    #1775907 - 08/03/03 03:40 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I did that once and it's didn't work too well for me,I put the jars directly in the water and ALL the lids/tops rusted to shit because with the top on the incubator it kept in all the humidity but if you used a plastic cap you prob be ok

--------------------
Welcome to my world!

InvisibleGestaltAssault
Sam Kohui (c)

Loc: Here-->[x]
Re: Incubation Question [Re: Psilocybin_monkey]
    #1775938 - 08/03/03 03:53 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

1/2 pint jars colonize faster...think of 1 pint jars as two 1/2pint jars stacked on top of each other...if you can get the whole surface area of the 1 pint jar to fruit then yeah i'd say it yields more...

--------------------

i dont cultivate...i just post pictures, spread knowledge, and give advice
my brain's illegal because it contains DMT in the pineal gland, and so does your brain and everyone elses
the name's GestaltAssault not Get Us A Slut

Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Loc: London Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #1775973 - 08/03/03 04:04 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

as ps_monkey says, that'll create a 100% humid environment which isn't good. better to float a second tub in the water, and put the jars in that.

oh, and 1 pint jars with pftek are a nono because they take so long, the contam risk skyrockets and they dry out some. check out www.fungifun.org/pf and use drinking glasses. this is anno's site, if you want a pointer. say no more.

--------------------
buh

Edited by shirley knott (08/03/03 04:10 PM)

OfflineShpongloid
WBS-o-phile

Re: Incubation Question [Re: shirley knott]
    #1776007 - 08/03/03 04:20 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Wait a sec, how could it create 100% humidity if there is no top to my aquarium? I have a top for it for the fruiting stage, but I do not plan on using it for incubation.

What an idiot I am! I'm not using 1 pint canning jars, I took my 1/2 pints for 1 pints and my 1/4 pints for 1/2 pints.

--------------------
"...NIDA-supplied marijuana cigarettes weigh approximately .9 grams. A smoker would theoretically have to consume nearly 1,500 pounds of marijuana within about fifteen minutes to induce a lethal response."

OfflinePsilocybin_monkey
Shroomer

Loc: Dragon's Den
    #1776019 - 08/03/03 04:24 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

well if you have no top on it whats to stop the light from getting in the incubator?You don't want to have light nowhere near the jars when incubating.light tells the mycelium it's time to start fruiting along with temp drop so may get pins start to form or your colonize speed slow down and you now have any air born contams able to get at you jars

--------------------
Welcome to my world!

OfflineShpongloid
WBS-o-phile

Re: Incubation Question [Re: Psilocybin_monkey]
    #1776049 - 08/03/03 04:39 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Sorry, I feel like I'm just wasting your time. I did take into account the light factor. You see, my set up is out of the way in a cupboard where no light can reach it. I guess I need to be a bit more detailed with my posts. Anyway, let's assume there is no other factor to hinder the colonization of my substrate. Will what I've described above work... Will my 1/2 pint jars in an aquarium with water at 83-85 degrees F suffice for colonizing the cake without problems?

Once again, sorry for all this and thank you.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix