Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisible2Experimental
Male User Gallery
New Karo Tek Idea
    #1770962 - 08/01/03 07:54 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Anyone ever seen those mini bottles of water that zephrihills makes? Or the aqua fina ones, they are like 8 ounces or so(i think). So anyways, heres my idea: Instead of having to PC a jar and worry about all this flow hood lid switching crap with the karo tek, why not just poke a hole in one of these bottles with a sterile karo filled syringe, squirt in enough to fill it 95%, and then in the same hole(right after), squirt some spores, and tape it up imidiatly.. valla, instant sterile karo bottle. I can see a few problems with this:

1) How contam free is karo? I asume if it is contam free, you could just lysal alot in a room, open karo bottle, and fill a syringe, without intoducing contams.

2)When poking the first needle hole with the karo syringe into the water bottle, a small amount of air will be sucked into the bottle. I guess a glovebox would work great, but I bet just lysal would work.

3) How contam free is bottled water? I mean, im sure its pure water and stuff, but there is no nutrients in it so any contams would just be chillin, unseen. (Aquafina's slogan is "purity guaranteed" so when I try this and it contams I can sue them!! lol jk)

4) Air exchange: Im not sure how important air exchange in honey tek's are, but I imagine it would be fine, because it doesent have a whole cake to colonize, rather, just some spores germinating.

In conclusion, I would like to ask if anyone has tried this before, and what thier results were. I know the best way to find out is to try it myself, and I plan too, but wanted imput beforehand. All this is pure speculation probally based on some missinformation on a few things on my part, but if this were to work, I think it would be a great step in cultivation.

Thanks

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinejqpindahouse
Stranger
Re: New Karo Tek Idea [Re: 2Experimental]
    #1772979 - 08/02/03 01:59 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

you're making things too complicated.

if you really want a simple karo tek, take a small drinking glass, fill with water + karo, cover with saran wrap, nuke in the microwave for 5 minutes, wait until it cools and inject through the saran wrap and cover the hole with more wrap and/or cover it with tyvek and a rubber band.

leave it alone for a week and come back.

OfflineSev
Astropath
Loc: NY
    #1773324 - 08/02/03 03:51 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Karo is contam-free, if it's a fresh, unopened bottle.

Bottled water isn't necessarily contam free, and the few bacteria in it, in a sugar-heavy solution, could lead to a nasty bloom.

Before taking a solution out of the bottle, fill the syringe with sterile air, by drawing it through a flame.  That is, flame the needle as you usually would and fill the syringe with air at the same time.  Then, inject the air into the bottle and draw the solution up.  This works best if the seal between the needle and the container is airtight.

It seems to me that you could have a good idea with this tech, but you gotta try it out, see wha tmileage you get.  :wink:

--------------------
"Do we want the stars? We can have them. Can we borrow cups of fire from the sun? We can and must and light the world." --"On the Shoulders of Giants", Ray Bradbury

All of my posts are full of fiction and blatant lies.

Invisible2Experimental
Male User Gallery
Re: New Karo Tek Idea [Re: Sev]
    #1774622 - 08/03/03 12:36 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks sev for the info on the sterility of karo.
Great idea on the syringe and air! Slves one of the problems I had! I would like some more imput on this if possible.

Offlinemerlink
IntergalacticTraveler

#1775356 - 08/03/03 12:01 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

What is Karo?

--------------------
"Once you have an experience, you experience it for the rest of your life ? as time is a man-made relativity, expiration of experience is a thought." - Merlin

InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

Loc: mycotopia.net
Re: New Karo Tek Idea [Re: merlink]
    #1775377 - 08/03/03 12:17 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

name brand for corn syrup,
it's basically dextrose in liquid form.
look for it by the pancake syrups in grocery stores.

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

Offlinemerlink
IntergalacticTraveler

Re: New Karo Tek Idea [Re: Hippie3]
    #1775427 - 08/03/03 12:40 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Is karo a good option for a bulk spawn?

--------------------
"Once you have an experience, you experience it for the rest of your life ? as time is a man-made relativity, expiration of experience is a thought." - Merlin

Invisible2Experimental
Male User Gallery
Re: New Karo Tek Idea [Re: merlink]
    #1775495 - 08/03/03 01:11 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Hippie3, did you have any idea if this will work? Any others?

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
    #1777939 - 08/04/03 10:59 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

It might work, but why? Liquid cultures are near the easiest thing to do.

-Put some sugar (dextrose, karo, honey etc) and some water in a jar to make it half full.
-Put the lid on loosely.
-PC for 20 min.
-inject with some spores when cool and tighten lid.
-shake every day

I can't imagine anything being easier, and I think that any shortcuts you try to make will only increase the chance of failure.

In my experience, nothing, and I mean absolutely nothing is ever really sterile when purchased. It might be sometimes, or it might be sterile enough to work sometimes, but the food processing industry doesn't have the standards that I would have in a lab.

So, if you think it's much easier than following the proven and easy way of doing it, give it a try, it very well might work. I wouldn't think that the risk would be worth saving the 20 minutes of watching tv while your pc runs would be worth it though.

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

InvisibleMycoCakeEater
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Re: New Karo Tek Idea [Re: mycofile]
    #1777943 - 08/04/03 11:01 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Sorry to tell you but that teks been out for a while in Nan's Nook.

Invisible2Experimental
Male User Gallery
Re: New Karo Tek Idea [Re: mycofile]
    #1778443 - 08/04/03 02:18 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Ya I know, but for people without PCS its a problem..
As far as it being out on nans nook, care to provide a link? I couldent find it.

Invisibledeanofmean
mycophagous

Loc: PNW
    #1778881 - 08/04/03 04:30 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

2Experimental said:
Ya I know, but for people without PCS its a problem..

steaming it for 30 min., works fine .

Invisiblefungusflip
visionary

Loc: texas
    #1789617 - 08/07/03 06:07 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

just use distilled water. dont open up the gallon of water though just flame your syringe and inject the needle right through the unopened gallon of water. now you have sterile water in your syringe. and if the karo is also sterile then your'e alright. do you know how water is distilled? its sterile trust me i use it to make spore syringes all the time and i never use a microwave or a pc. just tape a folded paper towel to the jug of water and soak it in alcohol and you have supply of sterile water. let me know if that shed any light on your idea. i posted a thread about an e-z way to make a spore syringe on the other cultivation forum and i'm sure it would work for this application as well

--------------------
let it be know, there is a fountain that was not made by the hands of men.

Edited by fungusflip (08/07/03 06:11 PM)

Invisible2Experimental
Male User Gallery
Re: New Karo Tek Idea [Re: fungusflip]
    #1790126 - 08/07/03 08:36 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

"just use distilled water. dont open up the gallon of water though just flame your syringe and inject the needle right through the unopened gallon of water. now you have sterile water in your syringe"

The way my friend makes syringes is boiling water, and sucking some up, letting it sit 5 mins, then refilling, it back up with boiling water, then letting it cool off, then bam, you got a sterile syringe. Your idea seems perfect, except how are you sure the syringe is contam free on the inside? Do you PC them before hand?

InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

Loc: mycotopia.net
Re: New Karo Tek Idea [Re: MycoCakeEater]
    #1790420 - 08/07/03 09:53 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

MycoCakeEater said:
Sorry to tell you but that teks been out for a while in Nan's Nook.

and before that, it was at mycotopia,
where a fellow named 'Purge' came up with the idea originally.

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds