Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Original Sensible Seeds Shop: Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleEffedS
 User Gallery

Loc: Daylight Slavings
Terror Trading.
    #1769704 - 08/01/03 02:04 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I cant seem to find an article on this but it has been in the news the past few days.
Apparently the US goverment set up a website with plans to create a miniature stock market for investing in the prediction of terrorist attacks.
On this site you can buy stock in predictions on when/what the next terrorist attack will be. Thankfully the idea was shot down before it went into full swing.

I for one am outraged. This is a pure example of how crooked this system is. It is alsmost like some government officials just decided that they would try to cash in on the whole terrorism trend (not liek they havent already). I mean how easy would it be to buy stock in a terroist even and then carry out the act? This system is goned.

I know an overthrow is impossible at this time, but wouldnt it be nice?
Anyone have access to an article on this?

Down With The Dominators.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblewingnutx

Re: Terror Trading. [Re: Effed]
    #1769725 - 08/01/03 02:10 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Already been posted.

Yes, it was dumb, although I get what they were trying to do.

Poindexter was sacked for it, which is as it should be.

DARPA is still a hell of a good organization. They allowed you to be here in the first place :smile:

InvisibleEffedS
 User Gallery

Re: Terror Trading. [Re: wingnutx]
    #1769793 - 08/01/03 02:26 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Yes, it was dumb, although I get what they were trying to do.

What do you think they were trying to do?

Quote:

Poindexter was sacked for it, which is as it should be.

Explain

Quote:

DARPA is still a hell of a good organization.

I think the DARPA is a major contributor to our current "police state".
They are in essence the the same problem as the DoD.

Here is one of thier new plans to increase our "defense".

DARPA Technology Assisting Homeland Security
U.S. Bureau of Customs and Border Protection plans to install a new video surveillance system at ports of entry along the U.S./Canadian border. The system, which detects, identifies and analyzes objects automatically and in real-time, is based on technologies originally developed under DARPA?s Video Surveillance and Monitoring program.

Item posted: May 30, 2003

Quote:

They allowed you to be here in the first place :smile:

I dont liek it here if you didnt notice, I am currently in the process of getting the eff out of the USA. This not a FREE country, yes it is more free than some.

This planet is ours, this planet is mine. I want my planet back!

Invisiblewingnutx

#1769829 - 08/01/03 02:34 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

They were trying to predict trends, which the market is pretty damn good at. Individual predictors have to have a chance to lose or win something, though, to ensure they are serious predictions.

Adm. Poindexter was in charge of this. He was sacked.

By 'here' I meant the shroomery. DARPA is responsible for the invention of the internet.

InvisibleEdame
gone

Loc: outta here
    #1769848 - 08/01/03 02:38 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Everyone knows Al Gore created the internet. :smile:

--------------------
The above is an extract from my fictional novel, "The random postings of Edame".
:tongue:

In the beginning was the word. And man could not handle the word, and the hearing of the word, and he asked God to take away his ears so that he might live in peace without having to hear words which might upset his equinamity or corrupt the unblemished purity of his conscience.

And God, hearing this desperate plea from His creation, wrinkled His mighty brow for a moment and then leaned down toward man, beckoning that he should come close so as to hear all that was about to be revealed to him.

"Fuck you," He whispered, and frowned upon the pathetic supplicant before retreating to His heavens.

InvisibleEffedS
 User Gallery

#1769859 - 08/01/03 02:40 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I could do without internet.

Offlineshakta
Infidel
    #1769863 - 08/01/03 02:41 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

So what exactly is wrong with putting cameras on the borders?

OfflineMadtowntripper
Sun-Beams out of Cucumbers
 User Gallery

Loc: The Ocean of Notions
    #1769872 - 08/01/03 02:43 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I'm sorry. Maybe its only me, but this seems like a good idea...

I'm sure theres plenty of people out there who have an idea of how/when a terrorist attack might occur. I can think of several ways I could fuck up the country myself...

So whats wrong with getting these people to voice their ideas, no matter what form it takes? As I understand it, this is what this plan was trying to do...

I mean, unless you think terrorism is good...

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

Invisiblewingnutx

Re: Terror Trading. [Re: Madtowntripper]
    #1769881 - 08/01/03 02:46 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

It's not a bad idea from a technical stanpoint, but it's a horrible idea politically. I don't blame them for firing the guy.

As far as financially benefiting from terrorism, they've already done that by shorting airline stocks right before 9/11. You could do that with any stock, really. They all take a lurch right after a significant attack.

InvisibleEffedS
 User Gallery

Re: Terror Trading. [Re: shakta]
    #1769885 - 08/01/03 02:47 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

So what exactly is wrong with putting cameras on the borders?

They arent just cameras. It is a system that will identify each person and document their whereabouts. I personally think it is invasion of privacy.

InvisibleEdame
gone

Re: Terror Trading. [Re: Madtowntripper]
    #1769891 - 08/01/03 02:47 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

So you're quite happy with the notion of people betting on terrorist atrocities for money? Do you think that it's possible that people 'in the know' might attempt to profit from disasters they know are going to happen?

--------------------
The above is an extract from my fictional novel, "The random postings of Edame".

In the beginning was the word. And man could not handle the word, and the hearing of the word, and he asked God to take away his ears so that he might live in peace without having to hear words which might upset his equinamity or corrupt the unblemished purity of his conscience.

And God, hearing this desperate plea from His creation, wrinkled His mighty brow for a moment and then leaned down toward man, beckoning that he should come close so as to hear all that was about to be revealed to him.

"Fuck you," He whispered, and frowned upon the pathetic supplicant before retreating to His heavens.

Invisiblewingnutx

#1769893 - 08/01/03 02:48 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

I could do without internet.

Effed, prince of irony.

Invisiblewingnutx

Re: Terror Trading. [Re: Edame]
    #1769904 - 08/01/03 02:50 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Do you think that it's possible that people 'in the know' might attempt to profit from disasters they know are going to happen?

They already do that by shorting stocks. Made a bundle on 9/11.

There is a risk of being caught doing that, but much less than placing a bet with a DOD agency.

InvisibleEffedS
 User Gallery

#1769905 - 08/01/03 02:50 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

wingnutx: Future US politician.  :smirk:

Offlineshakta
Infidel
    #1769909 - 08/01/03 02:51 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Edame said:
So you're quite happy with the notion of people betting on terrorist atrocities for money? Do you think that it's possible that people 'in the know' might attempt to profit from disasters they know are going to happen?

I think that was the point of the whole thing. If someone knew about it and 'placed their bet', maybe something could be done ahead of time to stop it. That is all I can gather they were trying to do.

InvisibleEdame
gone

#1769918 - 08/01/03 02:53 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

It's also possible that the DoD would pay a visit to anyone who gets a few predictions right.

--------------------

Invisiblewingnutx

#1769936 - 08/01/03 02:57 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

What they were trying to do was to get as many individuals as possible trying to predict a trend. This tends to work better than a small group of professionals, in the long run.

You have to make it costly to bet, though, to weed out the anyone not serious. Otherwise you'd get every goofy off-the-cuff guess in the world, and that is worse than nothing.

If there is risk, you have to have reward or there is no reason for anyone to even try.

It's like the market weeding bad companies from good ones. In the long run, it's very hard to outguess the market. People who can do that are few and wealthy. Warren Buffet, maybe.

Invisiblewingnutx

#1769959 - 08/01/03 03:01 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Exactly. They are trying to track down people who shorted airline stock on 9/10, and would certainly take a hard look at anyone who was a very accurate guesser in this DARPA thing.

I think they are looking more for general trends than specific acts of terror, but I'm not entirely sure.

InvisibleEdame
gone

#1769994 - 08/01/03 03:09 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I think the event still had to happen for them to get their money. To quote the website before it was pulled:
"Whatever a prospective trader's interest in PAM, involvement in this group prediction process should prove engaging and may prove profitable."

--------------------

Invisibleshroomophile
ShroomitusFidelis
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA
    #1770587 - 08/01/03 05:37 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Yes,and it hurts.

--------------------
Once the mighty oak,was a nut who held his ground.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Original Sensible Seeds Shop: Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains