Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?

Loc: Lost In Space
So they can bury these.......
    #1768802 - 08/01/03 11:25 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

..... but there's no chance they buried WMD's?

U.S. Search Teams Find Buried Iraqi Jets
Fri Aug 1, 2:32 AM ET

By JOHN J. LUMPKIN, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON - Some of Iraqi's missing air force has turned up down below.

Search teams, some hunting for Iraq (news - web sites)'s alleged weapons of mass destruction, found dozens of fighter jets from Iraq's air force buried beneath the sands, U.S. officials say.

At least one Cold War-era MiG-25 interceptor was found when searchers saw the tops of its twin tail fins poking up from the sands, said one Pentagon (news - web sites) official familiar with the hunt. He said search teams have found several MiG-25s and Su-25 ground attack jets buried at al-Taqqadum air field west of Baghdad.

Iraq's air squadrons were a no-show during the war, and U.S. military officials supposed their pilots stayed grounded because they believed they were overmatched by American and British air power.

Various officials differed in opinion as to whether the buried aircraft could ever fly again. Many of the planes were buried intact with minimal efforts to protect them from the sand.

Rep. Porter Goss, chairman of the House Intelligence Committee, said the discovery pointed to how far Iraqi forces went to conceal their activities. The Florida Republican was briefed on the discovery during his recent trip to Iraq.

"Our guys have found 30-something brand new aircraft buried in the sand to deny us access to them," Goss said. "These are craft we didn't know about."

He said the planes were not considered weapons of mass destruction for which coalition troops have been searching for months, "but they are weapons (Iraq) tried to hide."

Prewar intelligence estimates from earlier this year said Saddam Hussein (news - web sites)'s regime had about 300 combat aircraft, all of them survivors of the Gulf War (news - web sites). Most were aging Soviet-era MiGs, Sukhois and older French Mirage fighters. The best are MiG-29 Fulcrums, one of the most advanced fighters produced in the Soviet era.

Allied warplanes bombed several planes on the ground, and U.S. Air Force officials say no Iraqi planes were detected flying a combat mission during the war.

Australian troops, who on April 16 captured the Al Asad Airfield, 112 miles northwest of Baghdad, found scores of fighter aircraft, mostly Soviet-era MiGs but also three advanced MiG-25 Foxbats, the fastest combat aircraft today. Helicopters, radar systems and millions of pounds of explosives also were found.

The MiGs had escaped detection during the coalition bombing campaign. Some were buried or hidden under trees or covered with camouflage sheets. Aircraft destroyed in prior wars were littered across the airfield to make it more difficult for bombers to choose their targets.

If they can bury these, perhaps they buried other goodies as well?

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinewingnutx
Re: So they can bury these....... [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #1768810 - 08/01/03 11:29 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I'll go you one better

Fully armed Nazi bomber planes 'buried below East Berlin airport'

ALLAN HALL IN BERLIN

AN AIRPORT used by hundreds of thousands of tourists and business travellers each year could be sitting on top of thousands of live bombs.

Papers among thousands of files captured from the Stasi, the secret police of East Germany, claim tons of live Second World War munitions were buried in concrete bunkers beneath the runways of Schoenefeld airport in East Berlin. It is now the main destination for discount airlines, such as Ryanair, and numerous charter companies.

Not only did the commissars intern munitions beneath the runways, but also entire Nazi fighter planes, all fuelled and fully bombed-up, according to the Stasi.

The captured files of Interflug, the former East German government airline and the airport authority of the DDR, are now being examined to see if the Stasi claim is true.

Experts believe it entirely feasible that, in the aftermath of the Second World War, with Berlin littered with millions of tons of unexploded ordnance, the Soviets could well have pressured local officials to move to clear the airfield as swiftly as possible.

"They would have stuffed them anywhere they could - there was simply too much stuff to blow up all at once," said Karl-Heinz Eckhardt, a Berlin historian. "There was a warren of massive Nazi bunkers beneath the site of the present airport that would have suited their purposes."

City authorities claim the airport is perfectly safe, but a thorough check on the claims in the Stasi files - 140 km of them that will still take a number of years to decipher - is being undertaken.

Nearly two million passengers a year pass through Schoenefeld. According to the Stasi files, the ammunition was buried in bunkers between eight and nine metres deep.

A spokesman for the airport said: "We became aware of the bunkers in 1993, four years after the fall of the [Berlin] Wall. A check was undertaken then and everything was determined to be safe."

But he conceded that he was astounded at the claims that fully-fuelled and bombed-up aircraft lie beneath the runways and said new tests about the safety of the structures will be carried out.

He added: "We had no idea that so much ordnance is supposedly under there."

Frank Henkel, the Conservative interior ministry spokesman, said: "This must be investigated thoroughly and immediately and the runways strengthened if necessary."

Berlin, with its sandy, dry soil, was perfect for the bunker-building of the Third Reich. Hundreds of thousands of them were constructed during the 12-year lifespan of the Nazi government: for every one metre of building above ground in modern-day Berlin, there are three metres below ground.

Bunkers are being discovered every day and a group called Underground Berlin has turned several of them into tourist attractions.

http://news.scotsman.com/international.cfm?id=792292003

Took 50-60 years to find, under a busy urban airport. Still more where that came from, too.

Edited by wingnutx (08/01/03 11:30 AM)

Anonymous

#1768820 - 08/01/03 11:33 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

You guys are getting desperate.

Offlinewingnutx
Re: So they can bury these....... [Re: ]
    #1768826 - 08/01/03 11:34 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

No, it's an obvious example of why one should not jump to hasty conclusions. Patience, grasshopper.

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

Re: So they can bury these....... [Re: ]
    #1768960 - 08/01/03 12:52 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

babytripster said:
You guys are getting desperate.

How so? Acknowledging a possibility is desperate? No-one said "aha - now we know they have them!"

Not acknowledging a possibility seems to me to be rather closed minded.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

InvisibleEdame
gone

Loc: outta here
    #1769078 - 08/01/03 01:28 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

"Our guys have found 30-something brand new aircraft buried in the sand to deny us access to them," Goss said. "These are craft we didn't know about."

Prewar intelligence estimates from earlier this year said Saddam Hussein (news - web sites)'s regime had about 300 combat aircraft, all of them survivors of the Gulf War (news - web sites). Most were aging Soviet-era MiGs, Sukhois and older French Mirage fighters. The best are MiG-29 Fulcrums, one of the most advanced fighters produced in the Soviet era.

I'm having trouble with those two comments. How can these be 'brand new' if they're planes from the Cold War era and have been buried underground?

--------------------
The above is an extract from my fictional novel, "The random postings of Edame".
:tongue:

In the beginning was the word. And man could not handle the word, and the hearing of the word, and he asked God to take away his ears so that he might live in peace without having to hear words which might upset his equinamity or corrupt the unblemished purity of his conscience.

And God, hearing this desperate plea from His creation, wrinkled His mighty brow for a moment and then leaned down toward man, beckoning that he should come close so as to hear all that was about to be revealed to him.

"Fuck you," He whispered, and frowned upon the pathetic supplicant before retreating to His heavens.

Offlineshakta
Infidel
Re: So they can bury these....... [Re: Edame]
    #1769085 - 08/01/03 01:29 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

They were new to the Iraqis maybe?

Offlinewingnutx
    #1769108 - 08/01/03 01:34 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I think he means "in great condition", not literally right off the production line. He obviously meant prior to burial.

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
    #1769111 - 08/01/03 01:35 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Even if there are buried WMD's, the fact that they weren't used against us even as we were invading tells me that they were not really an imminent threat to us, and that the weapons inspectors could've stayed a lot longer before we war was necessary.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

Re: So they can bury these....... [Re: silversoul7]
    #1769140 - 08/01/03 01:42 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

That could very well be.

My point in making the post however, was not why (if they exist) he didn't use them, but that if they can bury planes to hide them, he certainly could have buried WMD's.

And to those who ask.... why didn't he use the WMD's, why didn't he use these planes?

--------------------

Offlineshakta
Infidel
Re: So they can bury these....... [Re: silversoul7]
    #1769146 - 08/01/03 01:44 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

silversoul7 said:
Even if there are buried WMD's, the fact that they weren't used against us even as we were invading tells me that they were not really an imminent threat to us, and that the weapons inspectors could've stayed a lot longer before we war was necessary.

Again, him not using them against our troops has nothing to do with whether or not they were a threat to the rest of the world. I think 12 years of UN politicing was enough time for him to do the right thing, don't you? While this type of discussion is fun and thought provoking, I really have no idea whether he has them or not. I guess time will tell.

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
    #1769148 - 08/01/03 01:44 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

why didn't he use these planes?

Because they didn't work and were buried 12 years ago?

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

Offlineshakta
Infidel
    #1769152 - 08/01/03 01:45 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

He new the planes would be destroyed. Maybe he knew his WMDs would have been widely unaffective against our prepared soldiers, or maybe he did not have any. If the last case is the truth, the whole worlds intelligence community has some explaining to do for sure.

OfflineAzmodeus
Seeker

Loc: Lotus Land!! B.C.
    #1769153 - 08/01/03 01:45 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

luvdemshrooms said:
And to those who ask.... why didn't he use the WMD's, why didn't he use these planes? 

We know he didn't use them because he wanted to make the US look bad. :wink:

--------------------
"Know your Body - Know your Mind - Know your Substance - Know your Source.

Lest we forget. "

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
Re: So they can bury these....... [Re: shakta]
    #1769155 - 08/01/03 01:46 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I think 12 years of UN politicing was enough time for him to do the right thing, don't you?

Have you seen the news in the last 6 months? There are no WMD. He clearly "did the right thing" years ago.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

Re: So they can bury these....... [Re: Xlea321]
    #1769167 - 08/01/03 01:49 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Alex123 said:
why didn't he use these planes?

Because they didn't work and were buried 12 years ago?

That is of course, possible.

Keep in mind I'm not claiming he did bury the WMD's (again, if they even exist), just pointing out that if one hole can be dug, it's not much trouble to dig several.

As a further thought.... why bury planes that don't work?

--------------------

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
    #1769176 - 08/01/03 01:54 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

As a further thought.... why bury planes that don't work?

My guess is they were buried during the first gulf war when the US was bombing everything in Iraq. Maybe the Iraqi airforce thought one day it would be worth digging them up again. But seeing as the US kept bombing Iraq for 12 years they obviously didn't see the point.

How long does a jet plane keep working for when you bury it in sand?

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

Re: So they can bury these....... [Re: Xlea321]
    #1769180 - 08/01/03 01:55 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Again, you may be right, but guesses only count on game shows.

--------------------

InvisibleEdame
gone

Loc: outta here
    #1769182 - 08/01/03 01:55 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

It's probably cheaper than scrapping them. I've seen footage of the US doing a similar thing, but they were pushing tanks and helicopters into the ocean off a ship.

--------------------
The above is an extract from my fictional novel, "The random postings of Edame".
:tongue:

In the beginning was the word. And man could not handle the word, and the hearing of the word, and he asked God to take away his ears so that he might live in peace without having to hear words which might upset his equinamity or corrupt the unblemished purity of his conscience.

And God, hearing this desperate plea from His creation, wrinkled His mighty brow for a moment and then leaned down toward man, beckoning that he should come close so as to hear all that was about to be revealed to him.

"Fuck you," He whispered, and frowned upon the pathetic supplicant before retreating to His heavens.

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
    #1769185 - 08/01/03 01:56 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

It's probably cheaper than scrapping them

Good point Edame.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next >  [ show all ]

General Interest >> Political Discussion