Home | Community | Message Board

Zamnesia.com
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: 10cc Syringe

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OnlinemotamanM
old hand
 User Gallery
Illinois governor signs needle law
    #1766263 - 07/31/03 04:04 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

http://www.advocate.com/new_news.asp?ID=9433&sd=07/30/03

Wednesday, July 30, 2003

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Illinois governor signs needle law
Illinois governor Rod Blagojevich on Friday signed into law a bill that allows anyone age 18 and older in the state to buy hypodermic needles without a prescription at any pharmacy in the state, the Chicago Tribune reports. The new law allows adults to buy up to 20 needles at a time and requires pharmacies to offer the buyers educational materials on drug treatment and safe needle disposal. Supporters of the law say it will help reduce HIV infection rates among the state's intravenous-drug users by helping to cut down on needle sharing.

State representative Sara Feigenholtz, a sponsor of the bill, also said the measure will cut down on mother-to-child HIV transmissions in the state because 95% of all HIV-positive infants in Illinois are born to a parent infected with HIV from dirty needles. "You can recover from drug addiction, but you cannot recover from AIDS," she told the Tribune. "We want to encourage drug users to get into recovery, but until they're ready, we want to make sure they're not dying of AIDS." Only four states currently require prescriptions to buy needles--California, Delaware, Massachusetts, and New Jersey.

--------------------
http://heffter.org

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblezeta
Stranger

Re: Illinois governor signs needle law [Re: motaman]
    #1768317 - 08/01/03 05:13 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Awesome.
Go Illinois!

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #1768458 - 08/01/03 07:11 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Why are we making it easier for addicts to get what they need to support their drug habbits? Who cares if these low life scum die from disease. Next thing you know we will be giving away free condoms, feeding the hungry, and letting people become responsible for their own thoughts and actions. Sheesh, what is this country coming to? Wasn't it Jesus who said, "Judge everybody and throw those with low moral values in jail or let them die and rot in the streets. Compasion is just a word, not a way of life"?

(Sarcasm for the humor impaired...)

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Invisiblechinacat72
eyes of theworld
 User Gallery

Loc: Terrapin Station
Re: Illinois governor signs needle law [Re: Seuss]
    #1769920 - 08/01/03 04:53 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

In 1994-96 I was a herion addict. I lived in San Francisco on the streets most of that period. They had a needle exchange program and I never had to share a syringe with anyone. I have no doubts that I would have contracted HIV if not for the availability of clean syringes. Its been many ,many years since I put a needle in my arm. I have 3 wonderful children and a beautiful wife now. My life is completely different now and very fufilling. None of this would have been possible without acess to clean syringes when I was an addict. I was a junkie in the HIV capital of the world and came out clean because of this program. :heart: 

--------------------
Some rise
Some fall
Some climb
To get to Terrapin!!!

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #1770285 - 08/01/03 06:17 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I grew up in chicago.

It was easier to buy a bag of smack or crack than it was to buy a pack of fucking beer or cigarettes...

On the west side and the south side, gangs sell dope on the street corners...

Like chinacat mentioned, of course a lot more of the kids will have access to needles, but at least they will not need to share...

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #1770302 - 08/01/03 06:20 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

This is not a needle-exchange; chicago already has those...

This is putting needles on the shelfs at Walgreens...

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Illinois governor signs needle law [Re: chinacat72]
    #1772553 - 08/02/03 12:16 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

:smile:  Exactly my point!

Moral values cannot be legislated.  People must be given the freedom to do as they will.  When one of us messes up, we should be able to depend upon those around us to help us and support us with compasion.

It is unfortunate that our leaders elect to use their authority to isolate those that they should be helping the most.  Even worse, they justify their cause by claiming they are simply doing God's will.  They would rather allow innocent people to die from disease than to judge their own values. :frown:

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineSev
Astropath
Loc: NY
Re: Illinois governor signs needle law [Re: GGreatOne234]
    #1776221 - 08/03/03 08:01 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

GGreatOne234 said:
This is not a needle-exchange; chicago already has those...

This is putting needles on the shelfs at Walgreens...

...And it's great for amateur mycologists too. Though you get some weird looks going up to the pharmacy in Wal-Mart and asking for ten 10CC syringes w/ "16 or 18 gauge needles, whatever you have that's about that size..." %)

--------------------
"Do we want the stars? We can have them. Can we borrow cups of fire from the sun? We can and must and light the world." --"On the Shoulders of Giants", Ray Bradbury

All of my posts are full of fiction and blatant lies.

InvisibleTinMan
Stranger

Loc: Russia
Re: Illinois governor signs needle law [Re: Seuss]
    #1779039 - 08/04/03 07:29 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

They would rather allow innocent people to die from disease than to judge their own values.

Sadly enough, that is how the world works...

Although I am against shooting any type of drug, I hope this will at least keep AIDS isolated in needle users so no other users have to suffer their same fate.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: 10cc Syringe

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service