Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineigore
Shroomist
Loc: AZ
Factors for vertical stability
    #1764135 - 07/30/03 08:50 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

My friend's shrooms sometimes lie down on the verm. casing (horizontally) a couple days before the veils break. Why??? The only place light gets in is the top of the terrarium. The ones that do it look top heavy for some reason, and they don't just fall over, they gradually lie down within a period of 24 hours or so. What are the factors which contribute to vertical stability?? could it be the texture of the casing material?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibletripndicular
My Minds Eye IsRhizomorphic

Loc: Bowels of HELL
Re: Factors for vertical stability [Re: igore]
    #1764160 - 07/30/03 08:58 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I therorize it happens due to shallow rooting of the myc so to say . :crazy: Or maybe to much c02 build up at some critical development stage of pins .
Many folks prop them up to keep them from lying down . Never had success with proping method , so quit doing it . Pick them before veil opens no matter what , do not want them on surface of sub directly dumping spores on surface . IMHO
But the physics of it are ......
To thin or weak of a base to support the heavy cap being produced .  :wink: 

--------------------
Any information I give is not intended to aide you in the production of potentialy illegal substances !None of my exp comes from growing illegal varities , so take it as you will .
So with that said here is our mission statement .

Then the priest fell into a trance or swoon,& said unto the Queen of heaven ; Write unto us the ordeals; write unto us the rituals; write unto us the law !

Offlineigore
Shroomist
Re: Factors for vertical stability [Re: tripndicular]
    #1764204 - 07/30/03 09:08 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

What is the sub? Why would it matter if it dumped spores directly onto anything?

Invisibletripndicular
My Minds Eye IsRhizomorphic

Loc: Bowels of HELL
    #1764221 - 07/30/03 09:13 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

sub = substrate = growing medium i.e. compost , brf cakes , straw , grain . If spores are dumped on the surface of growing medium , it can hinder future flushes in that region , if mush is real close to this surface it will dump lots of spores in that spot .

--------------------
Any information I give is not intended to aide you in the production of potentialy illegal substances !None of my exp comes from growing illegal varities , so take it as you will .
So with that said here is our mission statement .

Then the priest fell into a trance or swoon,& said unto the Queen of heaven ; Write unto us the ordeals; write unto us the rituals; write unto us the law !

Offlineigore
Shroomist
Re: Factors for vertical stability [Re: tripndicular]
    #1764238 - 07/30/03 09:18 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

This is very intriguing, how do the spores hinder growth??

Offlineigore
Shroomist
    #1765014 - 07/31/03 03:19 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

How do the spores hinder growth?? (I do want to know) :kiss:

InvisibleATWAR
Connoisseur

Loc: #108768 in line...
    #1765156 - 07/31/03 06:14 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I do not know about spores hindering growth, never heard that one before. But, spores dropping all over the place can be a vector for contamination to set in. Some strains just cannot support their own weight or they are just inherently weak. There are a few that are known for it, but it causes no real problems, except casing material can stick to the stem.

I had problems in particular with South Americans doing that, every damn one would fall over. These casings were prepared the same way as usual, and other strains that grew larger and heavier (GT's for example) never had that problem. I just chalked it up to a strain characteristic and lived with it.

Of course, I would sometimes get the occasional huge shroom that would fall over, no matter the strain (well, some never get HUGE). Mostly it has to do with weight, and as tripndicular stated, poor rooting of the mycelium in the casing. I dont know if CO2 was a factor, I think I have that one under control. It happens, let em grow like that, they will be fine.

--------------------
To give is to live...

OfflineJon_Doe
UnidentifiedMycophile
 User Gallery

Re: Factors for vertical stability [Re: ATWAR]
    #1765205 - 07/31/03 06:33 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Or, like my terrarium was in Amsterdam back in the day, the light source is only a single bulb, and my light-lovin' GT fruitbodies knocked themselves over trying to grow "upwards". I threw two more floro sticks on there, spaced em out equally, and had no more problems. A while ago, I think it was anno, who posted a time-lapse video of some of his Phototrophic Mushrooms growing towards a light, and they were crooked as hell (not a knock, he knows that happens and probably just didn't care... Anno's too busy fucking around with making fungi sustain cold fusion or something  :smile: ) 'Course, since anno's genetics and methods are good enough to make those fruitbodies' stipes like nine inches in diameter, they didn't quite fall over. But then again, you ain't anno, and neither am I, so we have these problems.

--------------------
“Cannibalism? Racism? Dude, that’s not for us ... those decisions are better left to the suits in Washington. We’re just here to eat some dude!”

-Charlie Kelly

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck