Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Calcium Chloride, Coir, Oyster Shell, Peat, Scales, Vermiculite, pH Test Strips

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinethisone
the one theydon't see

crushed crab shells
    #1762883 - 07/30/03 03:33 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

will these be a resonable exchange for crushed oyster shells, hydrated lime sounds like the pH could skyrocket and calium chloride is on short supply?

--------------------
Everything written above this line is completely false. I am terribly bored and write here to pass time. I do not participate or support any illegal activity.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleZwieback0
Baby Bread
 User Gallery

Re: crushed crab shells [Re: thisone]
    #1762887 - 07/30/03 03:35 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Hydrated lime works great....

Hmmm... Interesting, never thought of using crab shells. It might work! Get back to us on that!

Offlinethisone
the one theydon't see

Re: crushed crab shells [Re: Zwieback0]
    #1762890 - 07/30/03 03:37 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

because there was a large bulk bag that said no burn time release lime and there was hydrated lime that said to work into the soil 3 weeks ahead of time which I don't have. What are the specs in calcium chloride or crushed oyster shells that I would be looking for in the crab shells, i.e. NPK. the supplier said that were also high in calcium.

--------------------
Everything written above this line is completely false. I am terribly bored and write here to pass time. I do not participate or support any illegal activity.

Invisibletripndicular
My Minds Eye IsRhizomorphic

Loc: Bowels of HELL
Re: crushed crab shells [Re: Zwieback0]
    #1762891 - 07/30/03 03:37 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Hydrated limme is easy to use too much ! (very easy to swing alkaline , which is more harmfull to myc than a slightly acidic range)
Try using coir , no need to be worried about ph with it !
Crab shell ? I'm not so sure it would break down quick enough to buffer peat , but who knows !

--------------------
Any information I give is not intended to aide you in the production of potentialy illegal substances !None of my exp comes from growing illegal varities , so take it as you will .
So with that said here is our mission statement .

Then the priest fell into a trance or swoon,& said unto the Queen of heaven ; Write unto us the ordeals; write unto us the rituals; write unto us the law !

Edited by tripndicular (07/30/03 03:40 PM)

Offlinethisone
the one theydon't see

Re: crushed crab shells [Re: tripndicular]
    #1762907 - 07/30/03 03:42 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

yeah can't find coir. where's a good place to look. Found a miracle grow coir/peat water release mix but that was it. Didn't look too good. Would love to find some though.
Also whats the effects of not using a casing layer for the spawn? Jsut pop it right in the fruiting chamber? Sprinkle it with verm?

--------------------

Invisibletripndicular

#1762929 - 07/30/03 03:50 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Got a PETSMART nearby ?
Product called "BED A BEAST" is coco coir , one 5$ block will be enough for you to try and see if you like it .
No casing will work , but is harder to maintain proper moisture content at surface for good pin set . Case provides moisture , and little valleys for pins to form in .

--------------------
Any information I give is not intended to aide you in the production of potentialy illegal substances !None of my exp comes from growing illegal varities , so take it as you will .

Then the priest fell into a trance or swoon,& said unto the Queen of heaven ; Write unto us the ordeals; write unto us the rituals; write unto us the law !

Edited by tripndicular (07/30/03 03:52 PM)

Offlinethisone
the one theydon't see

Re: crushed crab shells [Re: tripndicular]
    #1762936 - 07/30/03 03:53 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

you are my savior. thanks mucho. What should I mix with this for a casing layer? No room in the spawned pan now because I filled it too full forgetting about the casing, so may have to birth with no layer buty thinking about still trying a light one. and would like the coco coir for future.

--------------------

Invisibletripndicular

#1762948 - 07/30/03 03:59 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Vermiculite /coir is a very commonly used casing . Mix at a ratio of aprox 60% coir to 40% verm , no need to be concerned with oyster shell or lime , coir is 99% of the time neutral on the ph scale .
You can still try to add a thin layer of casing to a slightly full tray , in time it will all shrink down .
Good Luck
"May The Mushroom Goddess Bless All Your Endeavors ! "
PS casing info in the FAQS , not to be a FAQS bitcher , but good reading !

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Calcium Chloride, Coir, Oyster Shell, Peat, Scales, Vermiculite, pH Test Strips

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation