Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Paul Stamets

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflinekloK
ShRoOmEr!ShRoOmIn

Loc: La La Land
How hot is to hot?
    #1762484 - 07/30/03 01:12 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Ok my friend has 12 half pint jars growing and he left them on his VCR yesterday which was turned on and emitting heat. Now he thinks that heat may have killed the mycelium but he is not sure what over heated mycelium looks like. Does it look any different from normal live mycelium, how can you tell if the mycelium has been overheated. If anyone has any pics of this please post them.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Rabbit Hole
Trusted Cultivator
Re: How hot is to hot? [Re: kloK]
    #1762529 - 07/30/03 01:35 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Thermal death for cubensis mycelium is at 104. Put a thermometer on your VCR and see if it's that hot. Dead mycelium will pretty much look like live mycelium for a long time after it stops growing and dies.

-Diploid

--------------------
Republican Values:

1) You can't get married to your spouse who is the same sex as you.
2) You can't have an abortion no matter how much you don't want a child.
3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

4) We need a smaller, less-intrusive government.

InvisibleGestaltAssault
Sam Kohui (c)

Loc: Here-->[x]
Re: How hot is to hot? [Re: kloK]
    #1762543 - 07/30/03 01:39 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

please check the FAQs first

http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/23277
Quote:

What is too hot for incubation, and what happens to the jars?
------------------------------------------------------------------------

P. cubensis mycelium has an ideal growth temperature at 86?F and a "thermal death temperature" at 106?F. (TMC). Which means it literally dies at 106?F. But once the colonizing jars reach higher temperatures, the mycelia will eventually slow growing and halt for 2 main reasons. As it approaches thermal death, it is less and less likely to continue to grow effectively. Further, higher temperatures will almost always lead to a drying out of the substrate. When substrate becomes dry, mycelia will stop growing (since it needs water to propagate). Also, dry substrate becomes impenetrable for mycelia - as PF substrate becomes hard and brittle when dry. Your best bet is to keep it as close to 80?F (warm but not hot) as possible, and fluctuate only as necessary. The temperature inside the jars is always a few degrees above the outside temperature since the mycelium generates heat while colonizing the substrate. Note the sharp drop of growth as temperatures become increasingly hot in this diagram. Since the reduction in growth drops so sharply at 86 degrees, it is best to keep temperatures lower to avoid the risk of exceeding the maximum point of return illustrated above.

--------------------

i dont cultivate...i just post pictures, spread knowledge, and give advice
my brain's illegal because it contains DMT in the pineal gland, and so does your brain and everyone elses
the name's GestaltAssault not Get Us A Slut

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Paul Stamets

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation