Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Invisiblesexybutsparkly
umbarepa!

are store bought mushrooms bad for you?
    #17404216 - 12/16/12 08:51 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

I watched a documentary a while back called 'Know your mushrooms'. Gary lincoff tells a lady at the farmers market to never eat store bought mushrooms. I think he said they have toxins and cause cancer. Since then I don't really want to eat store bought mushrooms.

Does anyone know anything about this? Are store bought mushrooms really bad for you?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblegullhole
buuuuuds
Male User Gallery

Loc: WA
Re: are store bought mushrooms bad for you? [Re: sexybutsparkly]
    #17404406 - 12/16/12 09:19 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

yeah i was wondering the same thing when i watched that.

--------------------

Offlinecyanophilus
ectosporium
Loc: Bay Area, CA
Re: are store bought mushrooms bad for you? [Re: gullhole]
    #17444578 - 12/24/12 11:28 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Hell yeah they are!

http://www.mendeley.com/research/carcinogenesis-studies-lyophilized-mushroom-agaricus-bisporus-mice/

Portobello
Crimini
Button

All Agaricus bisporus

However, some stores sell hypsizygus, enoki, shiitake, oysters etc they all contain some form of anti-carcinogenic medicine.

Invisiblesexybutsparkly
umbarepa!

Re: are store bought mushrooms bad for you? [Re: cyanophilus]
    #17622101 - 01/28/13 02:29 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

So did y'all stop eating them?

Offlinethiotimoline
Stranger
 User Gallery
Loc: Bay Area
    #17623581 - 01/28/13 01:08 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

The problem with "does this food cause cancer?" studies is that there are so many of them that statistically there are bound to be a lot of false positives. The human body is very tough and low levels of toxins can even be beneficial (hormesis). I would not worry about any single food causing health problems unless the effect is verified many times and is quite strong.

For comparison, meat cooked at high temperatures contains heterocyclic amines that have been repeatedly shown to increase the risk of stomach cancer. I have no real doubt about this result. But the overall risk is not huge and I really enjoy grilled and fried meat, so it's not worth it to change my diet because of this.

OfflineSse
Saṃsāra

Loc: Interdependent Co-arising
    #17624170 - 01/28/13 03:19 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

This is from Paul Stamets book Growing Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms

Portobello Mushroom of the genus Agaricus

"This mushroom contains compounds that inhibit the enzyme aromatase. Aromatase is associated with tumor growth. Compounds inhibiting aromatase have potential for the treatment of breast cancer(Bankhead, 1999). A diet of mushrooms in mice with implanted tumors showed a decrease in aromatase as mushroom consumption increased. However,
Agaricus brunnescens contains hydrazines, carcinogenic compounds that
have been thought to dissipate only from prolonged, high temperature heating. More than 80 percent of known hydrazines are carcinogenic. The most notable carcinogenic hydrazine from this mushroom is agaritine, a powerful mutagen, which is activated by the mushroom enzyme tyrosinase, making it heat stable. Enzymes in the digestive system convert agaritine into carcinogenic by-products. The chemical culprits worthy of concern are: 4-(hydroxymethyl)phenylhydrazines and 4(hydroxymethyl)benzene diazonium ions(Walton et al. 1997). Free radicals can also activate Agaricus hydrazines into highly carcinogenic subconstituents (tomasi et al 1987) as well as catalytic processes in the kidneys (Price et al. 1996). Hence, there are several modes of activating agaritine into highly carcinogenic derivatives.

The damaging effects of agaritine's derivatives may be partially suppressed by the mushroom's antioxidants, which, in turn help create host-generated superoxide dismutases (SODs), and the activity of aromatase inhibitors. Walton et al. 1998 asserted, however, that the mutagenic and pre-mutagenic compounds are not affected by quick cooking(10 minutes at 437F/225C) but are only slightly reduced by prolonged heat treatment in boiling water for 4 hours at 212F/100C). A study of blanched, canned mushrooms showed that the agaritine content was reduced tenfold in comparison to fresh mushrooms, from 229mg/kg to 15-18mg/kg(Andersson et al. 1999). However, this reduction may have been due to leaching of the hydrazines into the surrounding water used for blanching in combination with prolonged, high pressure steaming processing used for canning. Another report by Sharman et al. 1990, found most fresh samples of this mushroom had agaritine levels within the range of 80-225mg/kg but with one dried sample having 6,520 mg/kg, a comparatively high level. This result suggests that agaritine production may be a strain specific trait, as this one dried, sliced sample had more than 8 times the agaritine content of other samples in this same study. In contrast, dried Shiitake mushrooms, Lentinula edodes, have either undetectable or extremely low levels of agaritines, in the 0.082 mg/kg range (Stijve et al. 1986; Hashida et al. 1990). Hashida's study reported marked reduction of agaritines from boiling water at 212F(100C) for 10 minutes, a report in direct contradiction of Walton's 1998 study.

A Swiss report estimated that with the average consumption of 4 grams per day of Agaricus bisporus(=Agaricus brunnescens) the lifetime increase in cancer risk would be approximately two cases per hundred thousand lives(Shepard et al. 1995). In a metropolitan area of twenty million residents, approximately the size of Los Angeles, two hundred people would be expected to get cancer in their lifetime from eating Agaricus brunnescens mushrooms, all other factors being equal.

However, other investigations have questioned the cause and effect relationship of agaritine in Button mushrooms and its mutagenic properties(Pilegaard et al. 1997; Matsumoto eet al. 1991; Papaparaskeva et al. 1991; and Pool-Kobel 1990). Benjamin 1995 noted that early studies are controversial and potentially flawed. One study had the intravenous introduction of mushrooms into mice. Another study showed that mice implanted with cancer cells (Sarcoma 180) and then fed dried mushrooms showed inhibited tumor growth(Mori et al. 1986). More recent studies reconfirm that a diet of this mushroom, both raw and baked, induced tumors in mice(Toth et al. 1998)

The cited research is highly controversial and raises concerns about the human consumption of Agaricus brunnescens as a health food. For years, the conventional wisdom was that hydrazines would be destroyed with cooking. Anti-cancer polysaccharides, aromatase-inhibiting compounds, and antioxidants known from Agaricus brunnescens(Kweon 1998), may neutralize the carcinogenic effects of hydrazines, but in my opinion, the jury is still out on this issue. Eating this mushroom raw, especially with free radical inducing foods, is definitely not recommended. And yet, in the United States, up to 80 percent of all Button mushrooms consumed are eaten uncooked. I am disturbed that the most commonly cultivated mushroom in the world has few studies authenticating its beneficial medicinal properties, in stark contrast to the numerous studies on Shiitake, Maitake, Reishi, Yun Zhi, and others. The Portobello mushroom may be gourmet, but in absence of scientific studies, I doubt that, at this time, Agaricus brunnescens can be considered medicinally beneficial.

What to do? The financial future of the Button/Portobello industry may well depend on recognizing the risks, and aggressively developing low agaritine or agaritine-free strains. As analyses have shown more than an eight-fold difference in the concentrations of agaritine in Agaricus brunnescens mushrooms, clearly some strains already in cultivation are much lower in agaritine content than others. Pursuing low agaritine strains should be top research priority within the Agaricus industry, especially within the venue of the spawn producers. Given variations in agaritine levels in existing strains, a breeding program for creating agaritine free strains is a task preeminently achievable in the near future. Certainly the button mushroom industry has clear economic and ethical incentives for doing so."

--------------------
"Springs of water welling from the fire"

"Life may seem to flee in a moment, but when the mind is freed of the veil of ignorance, and illusion that comes between the mind and the truth, life and death are only opposite sides of the same coin - "water welling from the fire."

"Within us, we carry the world of no-birth and no-death. But we never touch it, because we live only with our notions."
-Thich Nhat Hanh
instant
"Experience always goes beyond ideas"

Invisiblesexybutsparkly
umbarepa!

Re: are store bought mushrooms bad for you? [Re: Sse]
    #17740777 - 02/03/13 09:11 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Thank you for all that information. I guess I will eat them sparingly..

Offlinewire5
Hippie Born too Late
Male User Gallery

Loc: Rollin' on the River
    #17741244 - 02/03/13 10:31 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Or just growem yourself, that way you know exactly what went into growing them.

Invisiblesexybutsparkly
umbarepa!

Re: are store bought mushrooms bad for you? [Re: wire5]
    #17741295 - 02/03/13 10:43 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

I will do just that! :heart:  I just have to do a bit of reading on how to do so first..:smile:

Offlinethiotimoline
Stranger
 User Gallery
Loc: Bay Area
Re: are store bought mushrooms bad for you? [Re: wire5]
    #17741654 - 02/03/13 11:52 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

wire5 said:
Or just growem yourself, that way you know exactly what went into growing them.

The hydrazines, etc., are being manufactured by the mushroom and are not because of some particular substrate. If your logic worked you could get high by eating brown rice.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder