Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineShindig
Beshroomed
 User Gallery

Loc: South Sound
Northeast Scotland, P. Eryngii on 40lbs of Straw Blocks in Mini GH - Grow Report w/ Photos
    #17618045 - 01/27/13 09:08 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Finally getting around to sharing this experiment, nothing so ground breaking, but as I've gotten so much from other's stories I thought I'd share mine. After growing several oyster varieties in small scale, I decided the Eryngii were the ones I wanted to try to bulk up with.
On to the grow; 

Soaking Rye Grain w/ Gypsum (1tsp/cup of grain)

Bringing up to the boil

Draining

Filter Patch = Hypo-alergenic vacum bags cut to fit

Loading jars, pints, quarts, and larger PP bottles

Quick 1.5hour trip through the mighty presto @ 15psi

Once cooled into the glovebox for LC inoculations

Onto the shelf for 8-10days

Until looking goood

Oat straw met the lawnmower

Ran over it all twice, loaded into pillow cases (4lbs dry straw each)

Pasteurizing in community kitchen, water in buckets on top to keep straw submerged in the 60 degree C (140f) water. 20lbs(5 x 4lbs pillow cases)/run

Draining

Spread out over freshly cleaned surfaces

Spawned 1 pint / lb of dry straw (2quarts/pillow case)

Sections of 14" LFT, rubber bands, filter patches (vac bags), PVC collars, 70%ISO Spray

Experimenting w. coffee grounds in one bag, addition of gypsum in another

Time to wait, other half of the bags are in a wardrobe near by

Experimenting with 2' logs in addition to the 6" sections...the smaller bags on the left have a looser fitted top and fared far better than the bags that were really squeezed down.

The greenhouse, ultrasonic plumbed in, few holes cut for air to pass through. Can fit 10 blocks per shelf, 4 shelves = 40 blocks max

Wish I had some pin shots for ya

The fruits of my labour!

The End of the photos :smile:

So, the shots are compiled from two different attempts. I'll say both runs were learning experiences that could have gone better, but in the end hit a 25% BE (wet mush to dry straw weight, of bags that made in into the GH), doesn't account for weight of rye grain). 17lbs of Eryngii harvested total -- the coffee ground infused bag went stink on me real quick (before i learned lesson one bellow)

Most memorable lessons learned along the way:
1.Poke holes! Even in small sections of lft (6in fill), anaerobic activity would ensue unless holes were poked in bottom of bags. -if anaerobic patches show, get more air into the bags quickly enough, and IME Mushies will still form from these blocks...
2.Bags in which I left a plenum (and some lose'ish straw on top) pinned and fruited much better than those I pressed all air out of for a tight pack.
3.Blocks that have plastic striped off will 'fuse' if touching, often leading to more fruits on one and none on the other.
4.Slugs are an intelligent and formidable foe to outdoor greenhouses :P...especially devastating when cold weather slows fruiting into the 4-6week zone.
5. I would like to try this again come warmer weather, thinking next time to leave the tops loose on all the bags during the spawn run, keeping the plastic on while fruiting or putting a few less blocks into GH at once. With a roughly 2:1 sub:spawn ratio, I would hope to get .5lb harvest/block. a couple blocks did this time around, but no consistency.

Any thoughts questions suggestions?!?

Thanks to all for the wisdom shared on these boards. Until next time :smile:

Edited by Shindig (02/12/13 03:47 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineILBIACCO
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Italy Flag
Re: Northeast Scotland, P. Eryngii on 40lbs of Straw Blocks in Mini GH - Photo Story [Re: Shindig]
    #17618479 - 01/27/13 11:19 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Great work!!!
:thumbup:

I read that you've had a big problem with your coffee ground bag for the lack of air, but, in general, does P.Eryngii love growing in this substrate?

--------------------
Tell me and i forget. Teach me and i remember. Involve me and i learne.(Benjamin Franklin)

OfflineShindig
Beshroomed
 User Gallery

Loc: South Sound
Re: Northeast Scotland, P. Eryngii on 40lbs of Straw Blocks in Mini GH - Photo Story [Re: ILBIACCO]
    #17619066 - 01/27/13 01:35 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

It does well enough, I don't have extensive experience but have fruited some gorgeous Eryngii off of coffee grounds...
These are pinning on pure coffee grounds:

And this fruit grew out of a mixture of mainly coffee grounds with some loose leaf tea refuse in there too...

InvisibleOeric McKenna
LIFE CAPS

Loc: Babylon Flag
Re: Northeast Scotland, P. Eryngii on 40lbs of Straw Blocks in Mini GH - Photo Story [Re: Shindig]
    #17621052 - 01/27/13 09:00 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

That's awesome! Great job

--------------------

spread love
love is everything
2013 finds
medicinal psilocybin tincture drops
cannabis pics

OfflineILBIACCO
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Italy Flag
Re: Northeast Scotland, P. Eryngii on 40lbs of Straw Blocks in Mini GH - Photo Story [Re: Oeric McKenna]
    #17622246 - 01/28/13 04:07 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

It seems that King and coffee ground get on well together .:smile:
Very well, thank you.

--------------------
Tell me and i forget. Teach me and i remember. Involve me and i learne.(Benjamin Franklin)

Edited by ILBIACCO (01/28/13 04:10 AM)

Invisiblesolarity
mm... my favourite food
 User Gallery

Loc: UK Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Northeast Scotland, P. Eryngii on 40lbs of Straw Blocks in Mini GH - Photo Story [Re: ILBIACCO]
    #17623164 - 01/28/13 11:40 AM (11 years, 1 month ago)

Great job!

Eryngii wont fruit if it gets too warm, but then where you are should not be too much of a problem until high summer!

Thanks for the pics

--------------------
Commercial exotics farmer for 8 years - now sold up!

InvisibleMystiqueMushroom

Loc: PNW
Re: Northeast Scotland, P. Eryngii on 40lbs of Straw Blocks in Mini GH - Photo Story [Re: solarity]
    #17624343 - 01/28/13 03:52 PM (11 years, 1 month ago)

Good work op beautiful!

--------------------
https://youtu.be/np5Oi1dyO1k

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags