Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
Liberal Bias In The Media
    #1761927 - 07/30/03 03:32 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

This is an article from February, 2003.

Now.... rather than a bunch of "uh-uh, is not" type responses, I'm hoping some instead try and dis-prove the figures in it.

Topic for Feb. 5, 2003:
Are the Media Liberal?

These are fascinating times for polemical debate. Are we right to invade Iraq? Will tax cuts weaken or strengthen the economy? On these and so many other issues a conservative can enjoy energetic discourse with the political left.

Just don't ask a liberal if there is a liberal bias in the national news media. In answer to that question you'll continue to hear what conservatives have been hearing for decades. No matter how many times the obvious is proven, and no matter how many ways that evidence is documented, the response from the liberal elites is always the same.

Noise.

For decades conservatives have charged that a liberal bias dominated the press; at every turn the liberals in the press have denied it. But when irrefutable evidence is presented ? say, a national survey of the Washington-based media commissioned by the Gannett media organization showing that in 1992, by 89-7 percent, they voted for Bill Clinton over George Bush; that by 50-14 percent they see themselves as Democrats over Republicans; and that while 61 percent describe themselves as liberal, only two percent dare call themselves "conservative" ? how do they respond? OK, they concede, we may be philosophically liberal, but it doesn't prove our philosophy affects our performance. But how can such an overwhelming bias not affect the work product? Noise.

The Media Research Center has produced dozens of scientific studies, often examining tens of thousands of stories at a time, proving the liberal bias dominating the news media. Not once has a single study ever been refuted, or any of the hundreds of thousands of data been disputed. Much in the same vein that Saddam denies the existence of his weapons of mass destruction, the liberal media simply deny the evidence proving their bias. And if pressed they'll fall to the next line of defense: it speaks to a general bias, but doesn't prove anyone's specific bias. More noise.

What, exactly, is a liberal denying when he denies a liberal bias in the media? Most journalists continue to promote the mythology that bias is nonexistent in the news business, an amazing proposition given that it is impossible not to be biased. What is news? What is the day's top news story? What is to be the lead? Who is to be cited? What ought to be the conclusion? These and so many others are the daily questions a reporter faces, and every single one demands a subjective, biased response. So why do so many journalists deny the obvious? First and foremost, because they really do believe their liberalism is mainstream.

But wait! Stop the presses! Extra! Extra! Bias has been found! After all these years suddenly these same journalists are finding that a conservative bias ? yes, indeedy, a conservative bias dominates the press because the Fox News Channel and Rush Limbaugh control the world, or something.

Assuming Fox were as conservative as liberals charge ? and it's an assumption I am not willing to make ? it would now be one against CBS, NBC, ABC, CNBC, MSNBC, CNN, CNN Headline News, and on and on and on. Some conservative dominance. What about Rush and the seemingly endless list of conservatives in the media today, men and women like Cal Thomas, Bob Novak, Michael Reagan, Laura Ingraham, and the like? All have two things in common: All openly, cheerfully acknowledge their biases; and all are commentators. Not a one is a member of the "news" media.

But if you're on the other side of the political fence the rules are very different. If you're a liberal, you're objective. And if you are promoting an agenda, you're a reporter.

Making noise.

? L. Brent Bozell III is president of the Media Research Center.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineGazzBut
Refraction

Loc: London UK
Re: Liberal Bias In The Media [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #1761943 - 07/30/03 03:50 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Perhaps the majority of journalists are liberal. I would suggest however that the majority of media moguls, those who pay the libbie journalists, may be regarded as Conservative. This is pure speculation on my part and I would be happy to be proven wrong. But if this is the case how many liberal journos have swallowed their beliefs to please their paymasters and keep their jobs?

--------------------
Always Smi2le

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

Re: Liberal Bias In The Media [Re: GazzBut]
    #1762000 - 07/30/03 05:10 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

For the sake of arguement, let's say your right and the majority are conservative. I find that funny..... but,

Do you really think someone like Murdoch takes the time to sit in on the staff meetings of all the stations he owns? Or even that someone who owns as much as him can even truly significantly influence the news shown on his stations?
Or Disney, a corp which has gay days at their theme parks? Are you suggesting that somehow they lean to the right?
How would you explain Rather, Brokaw, and Jennings. Few would seriously try to suggest they lean right.
And CNN, affectionately known here as the Clinton News Network? Are you seriously suggesting they lean to the right?

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Loc: Crackerville, Michigan U...
    #1762014 - 07/30/03 05:24 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

good article, Media outlets like fox news are a threat to the CNN's, BBC's of the world. I think the libbies are assuming that everything (media-wise) is turning to the right because Americans are actually asking questions now. Do you remember through the 90's (mostly early) when Klinton and his gang would accuse the Republicrates of something out in right field (republicans want to starve kids) and they would either respond with "no we don't" or not retaliate at all? well now people are calling these numbnuts to task and the libbies are offended that someone would actually question their intentions. I don't believe there is a right wing slant to the media today (NYT and LA Times) but i do see a slant on proving right or wrong which i guess could be construed as shifting right because society is asking for accountability. Libbies don't like responsibility and accountability. IMHO.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Words of Wisdom: Individual Rights BEFORE Collective Rights

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

OfflineGazzBut
Refraction

#1762032 - 07/30/03 05:50 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Do you really think someone like Murdoch takes the time to sit in on the staff meetings of all the stations he owns?

He would merely have to give policy objectives which could be filtered down through his organisation.

Quote:

Or Disney, a corp which has gay days at their theme parks?

When you are trying to make a buck, left and right is irrelevant.

Quote:

How would you explain Rather, Brokaw, and Jennings.

Havent got a clue who they are sorry.

Quote:

And CNN, affectionately known here as the Clinton News Network? Are you seriously suggesting they lean to the right?

And who exactly calls them that? wouldnt be those leaning to the right would it?

Im not disagreeing with you but I would like to see some of these studies mentioned in the article otherwise it just unsubstantiated claims and opinion.

--------------------
Always Smi2le

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
    #1762044 - 07/30/03 06:17 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Good article. Here's some excerpts from a more recent one at
http://www.opinionjournal.com/columnists/rbartley/?id=110003806

"Though an opinion journalist myself, I'm certainly not against attempts at objectivity. Indeed I believe the ethic is a more powerful influence than disgruntled readers and viewers often seem to believe; it's simply not true that journalists conspire to slant the news in favor of their friends and causes. Yet it's also true that in claiming "objectivity" the press often sees itself as a perfect arbiter of ultimate truth. This is a pretension beyond human capacity.

"Especially so given the demands of modern technology. With instant radio, television and now the Internet taking over bulletin-board news, newspapers have to make their mark explaining not just events but their meaning. This is manifestly a matter of opinion.

"The opinion of the press corps tends toward consensus because of an astonishing uniformity of viewpoint. Certain types of people want to become journalists, and they carry certain political and cultural opinions. This self-selection is hardened by peer group pressure. No conspiracy is necessary; journalists quite spontaneously think alike. The problem comes because this group-think is by now divorced from the thoughts and attitudes of readers. To take politics as a test, in 1992, a sample of top Washington reporters and editors voted 89% to 7% for Bill Clinton over George H.W. Bush.

"So an editor trying to put out objective reports has to contend with a newsroom dominated by a single viewpoint. Bringing some discipline to this process is no easy task, especially since the editor probably also subscribes to the dominant view. Some editors are better than others in instilling discipline, and some news organizations are better than others in building and sustaining a culture that supports their efforts at objectivity."

It's worth reading the entire article.

I found this sentence to be interesting --
Quote:

The problem comes because this group-think is by now divorced from the thoughts and attitudes of readers.

This is what I have been saying in several posts where I have tried to explain to the doubtful the rapid rise in popularity of Fox News. Fox has stolen market share from the mainstream media not because they have flashier sets or artistic fades and wipes and camera angles, or that the Fox onscreen talent dress better or are prettier or have trendier hairstyles -- they have made their gains because they tend not to champion a point of view their viewers disagree with.

Does this make them better than the others, or even "less biased"? That can be argued till the cows come home, but what can't be argued is that it makes them substantively different from the veteran news networks. It also can't be argued that this difference appeals to a very large percentage of their target audience -- the American newswatcher.

pinky

--------------------

OfflineGazzBut
Refraction

Re: Liberal Bias In The Media [Re: Phred]
    #1762058 - 07/30/03 06:37 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

To take politics as a test, in 1992, a sample of top Washington reporters and editors voted 89% to 7% for Bill Clinton over George H.W. Bush.

As much as that shows bias it is a damning indictment on Bush senior. Here are some of the most informed men and women in your country and they are heavily opposed to him.

--------------------
Always Smi2le

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

#1762073 - 07/30/03 06:55 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Very nice find pinky.

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

#1762079 - 07/30/03 07:03 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

GazzBut said:
Quote:

To take politics as a test, in 1992, a sample of top Washington reporters and editors voted 89% to 7% for Bill Clinton over George H.W. Bush.

As much as that shows bias it is a damning indictment on Bush senior. Here are some of the most informed men and women in your country and they are heavily opposed to him. 

I think they only thing it indicts is the media. As both articles and the study refered to point out, they make-up of their numbers is so over-whelmingly left that there is little objectivity.

The assumption on your part that they are better informed may have a smattering of truth to it, but that doesn't change the fact they have fawned over the left leaning candidates while mostly ingoring their sins.

And gosh, but it almost sounded as if you were saying that only lefties can be truly well informed.    :lol:

--------------------

OfflineGazzBut
Refraction

#1762092 - 07/30/03 07:14 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I think that pretty much all of the left and right are misinformed, oh and the centrists too. Its only post politcal types like myself who really know whats going down! :lol: 

--------------------
Always Smi2le

Anonymous

#1762097 - 07/30/03 07:19 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

:thumbup:

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Loc: Crackerville, Michigan U...
    #1762126 - 07/30/03 07:45 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

*rim shot*

:grin:

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Words of Wisdom: Individual Rights BEFORE Collective Rights

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

OfflineGernBlanston
unintended sideeffect
Male

Loc: OR
Re: Liberal Bias In The Media [Re: Innvertigo]
    #1762203 - 07/30/03 08:28 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

See, now the problem with this is that you are attempting to "prove" a liberal media bias with rhetoric. The only hard facts in the article show that the journalists tend to be liberal; it has nothing to do with their journalistic outlets.

I've no doubt that most journalists tend towards the left. However, I have less than no doubt that the owners of said outlets tend to be so far to the right it's not funny. Does Murdoch sit in on every station meeting for every station he owns? Of course not.. but he damn sure does set their policy - which is possible to do without being there in person.

Murcoch (Fox / Newscorp), Micheal Eisner (Disney / ABC), Red McCombs (Clear Channel) - These are the men that run the media in the US. Looking beyond the issue of "right" and "left", you have to see that these guys (and many others) live to make money. Lots of money. At any cost.

See: The May FCC ruling
See: Continued mega-consolidation of media outlets

It is in their best interest to get into bed with the people who can make it happen for them. Jesus - the fucking chairman of the FCC is Micheal Powel - son of US Sec. State Colin Powel. So who do you think these media giants are sucking up to - and, more importantly, filling the re-election coffers of? It's damn sure not the green party, I can tell you that.

Fox News is the most biased pile of bullshit 'news' I have ever seen. And so many of their show hosts are fair and impartial, aren't they? Hannity, Colmes, Limbaugh, Dr. Laura (they have radio stations, too, you know). But I digress... Left and Right really (really) is not the issue.

We are having it stuck to us by big business. Our own White House is so deeply engorged on the cocks of Big Media, Big Oil, Big Industry, Big Pharma.... how can we believe that they have anything to do with "the good of the people" on their minds. They have proven time and time again that all they have on their minds is the good of the ol' boys club.

If you would like to actually learn more about that of which you so often speak on this forum, I direct your attention to:

www.fair.org
Fairness and Accuracy In Reporting

Great Book Alert (tm):
What Liberal Media by Eric Alterman
http://www.whatliberalmedia.com/

--------------------
There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people.
  --  Howard Zinn

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

Re: Liberal Bias In The Media [Re: GernBlanston]
    #1762266 - 07/30/03 09:15 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I believe that you feel that way, but believe me, there are lots more of those who feel the media leans left than visa-versa.

While I doubt you will like this site , perhaps you'll find it worth a look.

--------------------

OfflineGazzBut
Refraction

#1762288 - 07/30/03 09:27 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Now I see where the original info in this post comes from I am just pissing myself laughing at the ridiculousness of this entire thread. Stop it..stop it...fuck me there goes another rib. HAHAHAHAHA!

--------------------
Always Smi2le

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
    #1762329 - 07/30/03 09:52 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Do you really think someone like Murdoch takes the time to sit in on the staff meetings of all the stations he owns?

So you really think editors of Murdochs papers will take stands on issues against him and his buisness interests?

Sounds pretty unlikely.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

#1762412 - 07/30/03 10:40 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Now I see where the original info in this post comes from

Bet you a dollar you don't.

And I'm talking a real dollar, not one of those Canadian pieces of crap.

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

Re: Liberal Bias In The Media [Re: Xlea321]
    #1762417 - 07/30/03 10:42 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I'd be surprised if most of his employees even know what his stand on the issues are.

And you don't usually get rich relying on yes men.

--------------------

OfflineGernBlanston
unintended sideeffect
Male

Loc: OR
    #1762457 - 07/30/03 11:02 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

luvdemshrooms said:
I'd be surprised if most of his employees even know what his stand on the issues are.

Sorry, but you're just wrong on this one.

Quote:

And you don't usually get rich relying on yes men.

Yes men? You think that Murdoch's "yes men" run his company? When you have control of a multi-billion dollar media empire, with it's hands in every pie you can think of and politicians of every sort in it's pocket to some extent, do you really believe he just sits back and lets his 'yes men' run things?

We are, again, getting off topic, but man... you honestly seem to have some passion for that of which you speak, and I applaud that. I really do... even though I have yet to agree with a word to come out of your mouth, I would prefer misguided activism to apathy. That said, I really can't see that you have a great grip on how the world (and by that, I mean the bedfellows that are politics, government, and big business) works - how it works for real. Not the theoretical notions of what policy is and is not supposed to lead to...

I'm trying not to be personal - truly. But if you think that people like Rupert Murdoch do not have a very specific agenda, and surround themselves with people who can competantly carry out that agenda by whatever means necessary, who have the backing of one of the richest men on the planet, then you are simply deluding yourself.

--------------------
There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people.
  --  Howard Zinn

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

Re: Liberal Bias In The Media [Re: GernBlanston]
    #1762517 - 07/30/03 11:30 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Sorry, but you're just wrong on this one.

I guess we'll never know.

Quote:

Yes men? You think that Murdoch's "yes men" run his company?

Yes. Why? Do you think he makes every decision? Signs every check? Signs every contract? Picks the programming for each and every station? Edits his own newspaper? Picks out the days choices of donuts?

Quote:

When you have control of a multi-billion dollar media empire, with it's hands in every pie you can think of and politicians of every sort in it's pocket to some extent, do you really believe he just sits back and lets his 'yes men' run things?

Completely run things? No. But a whole shitload of things. One man cannot possibly run an empire that size by himself.

Quote:

That said, I really can't see that you have a great grip on how the world (and by that, I mean the bedfellows that are politics, government, and big business) works - how it works for real. Not the theoretical notions of what policy is and is not supposed to lead to...

Tell you what, maybe one day we'll get together and compare bank accounts. When you're done choking I'll teach you a little bit about business. A company of any substantial size cannot be completely run by one man, no matter how god-like his abilities.

Quote:

But if you think that people like Rupert Murdoch do not have a very specific agenda, and surround themselves with people who can competantly carry out that agenda by whatever means necessary, who have the backing of one of the richest men on the planet, then you are simply deluding yourself.

Everyone has an agenda. I have little doubt he surrounds himself with those he trusts. However with each step down the ladder the hold weakens and sooner or later your control slips. I'm sure he doesn't even know many of those who do make these decisions.
Deluding myself? Nah.... just realistic.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale