Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinewhole9
LOVE ME BITCH

Is it possible to slow down time, and live a longer life?
    #1760354 - 07/29/03 07:21 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I was thinking about this.. Who says your body has to travel the speed of light. What if when your on shrooms your brain is "traveling" the speed of light and in fact when you feel like time is going slower it actually is becuase your mind is going faster than your internal clock is used to.. Or somthing like that ;D

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinepattern
multiplayer

Loc: Canada
Re: Is it possible to slow down time, and live a longer life? [Re: whole9]
    #1760751 - 07/29/03 09:20 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

You might enjoy this thread  :stoned:

--------------------
man = monkey + mushroom

Invisiblezeta
Stranger

#1761148 - 07/29/03 11:21 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Even if you were travelling at the speed of light you wouldn't live any longer (from your perspective)

OfflineJohnnyR
mi cixelsyd

Loc: a hot place
Re: Is it possible to slow down time, and live a longer life? [Re: zeta]
    #1761878 - 07/30/03 04:53 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

even if ur trippiong ur still traveling at the same speed ur brain is just distorted for alittle bit...

--------------------
-----------------------------------------

OfflineSteevil
is cool

Loc: UK
Re: Is it possible to slow down time, and live a longer life? [Re: JohnnyR]
    #1762003 - 07/30/03 07:13 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Let's put aside from the fact that you would live the same length of time (it would only appear longer to people standing still).

Who says your body has to travel the speed of light.

The theory of relativity does. If you're ignoring that, then you also have to ignore the part about slowing down time. Physical laws only apply to actual objects which are really moving. They don't apply to metaphors and similes.

--------------------
All the days of his vow of separation no razor shall pass over his head. He shall be holy ... he shall let the locks of hair on his head grow long.

Offlinepsilofan
Question Sleep

Loc: Halls Of Valhalla, 3rd Do...
Re: Is it possible to slow down time, and live a longer life? [Re: Steevil]
    #1762042 - 07/30/03 08:16 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I strongly believe that NOTHING is impossible, highly unlikely yes. But not impossible.

--------------------
"There is no such thing as death, and life is only a dream in which we are the imagination of ourselves."
-Hicks

Offlinenoth1ng
Stranger
Re: Is it possible to slow down time, and live a longer life? [Re: psilofan]
    #1762506 - 07/30/03 01:23 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

i bet it would be impossible for you to make your head explode with a stick of butter
-

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Rabbit Hole
Re: Is it possible to slow down time, and live a longer life? [Re: psilofan]
    #1762715 - 07/30/03 02:37 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

I strongly believe that NOTHING is impossible

Some things certainly are impossible.

Leaving aside the impossibility of traveling faster than light which, by the way, is impossible, and the experiments you non-physicists will soon quote do not show translumanl velocity and do not violate causality, so they don't count, there are other clearly impossible things. For example, it is impossible to find certain solutions to certain equations; Fermat's Last Theorem, is a well known one. It is also impossible for 2 + 2 to equal 5 in ordinary, non-modular base 10 arithmetic. You can't put two apples into an empty box, then put two more apples in the box and find five apples as your sum no matter how hard you try.

Another more subtle, but devastatingly deep, impossibility in the area of Set Theory is (in non-mathematical terms) the fact that you cannot create a catalog of catalogs that do not list themselves as one of the listings. If that catalog listed itself, it would be incorrect because it's supposed to be a catalog of catalogs that do not list themselves. If that catalog did not list itself, it would be incomplete because it's missing itself as the final requisite listing.

There are lots of other examples...

-Diploid

--------------------
Republican Values:

1) You can't get married to your spouse who is the same sex as you.
2) You can't have an abortion no matter how much you don't want a child.
3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

4) We need a smaller, less-intrusive government.

OfflineSev
Astropath
Loc: NY
Re: Is it possible to slow down time, and live a longer life [Re: Diploid]
    #1762935 - 07/30/03 03:53 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Wasn't Fermat's Last Theorem proved, very recently?

--------------------
"Do we want the stars? We can have them. Can we borrow cups of fire from the sun? We can and must and light the world." --"On the Shoulders of Giants", Ray Bradbury

All of my posts are full of fiction and blatant lies.

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Is it possible to slow down time, and live a longer life [Re: Sev]
    #1763047 - 07/30/03 04:33 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Yes it was. And as it turns out, it's very unlikely Fermat ever had a valid proof since the math required for the recent proof involving modular elliptic curves was only developed in the last few decades.

-Diploid

--------------------
Republican Values:

3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

Offlinemerlink
IntergalacticTraveler

Re: Is it possible to slow down time, and live a longer life? [Re: Diploid]
    #1763160 - 07/30/03 05:17 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Diploid said:
Quote:

I strongly believe that NOTHING is impossible

Some things certainly  are impossible.

Leaving aside the impossibility of traveling faster than light, which, by the way  is  impossible, and the experiments you non-physicists will soon quote do not show translumanl velocity and do not violate causality, so they don't count, there are other clearly impossible things.  For example, it is impossible to find certain solutions to certain equations; Fermat's Last Theorem, is a well known one.  It is also impossible for 2 + 2 to equal 5 in ordinary, non-modular base 10 arithmetic.  You can't put two apples into an empty box, then put two more apples in the box and find five apples as your sum no matter how hard you try.

Yeah, it's easy to say that anything with defined and set values has a total summation that is *HAS* to come out to, or otherwise it is simply false. Sure, when one creates a logical situation, there is always a *seemingly* definite answer.. However, what if the whole system upon which the logic is initially constructed upon is debunked in itself? What if our perception of 0 eventually becomes something other than nothing and is equal to 1?  Everything is as impossible as it is possible, it's merely a matter of defined perception.. Your currently defined perception for "non-modular base 10 arithmetic" may very well change in the future when one of it's certain principles is viewed from a completely different perspective.

Human beings are continually evolving both spiritually and mentally.  Our future thoughts and concepts may strike some *resemblance* to these beliefs and theories which we posess today -- however as the complexity of comprehension grows parallel to our capacity to understand and become enlightened, the laws of mathematical logic which we cherish as fact today will be proven otherwise later. 

Quote:

Another more subtle, but devastatingly deep, impossibility in the area of Set Theory is (in non-mathematical terms) the fact that you cannot create a catalog of catalogs that do not list themselves as one of the listings.  If that catalog listed itself, it would be incorrect because it's supposed to be a catalog of catalogs that do not list themselves.  If that catalog did not list itself, it would be incomplete because it's missing itself as the final requisite listing.

There are lots of other examples...

-Diploid     

I'll use words to make your scenario "impossible": catalogs are inanimate objects and do not have the capability of "listing themselves".  And assuming that the catalogs could be there and "list themselves" it wouldn't just be incomplete, it wouldn't be there *AT ALL* if it couldn't list itself.

Using words as definitions is a threat to logic.  Unfortunately, all scientific theories must be given with a definition of words in order to be solidly accepted.  Ironically, words are where logic fails, for there are too many ways in which a single wording can be perceived.

Point being: Everything is as possible as it's definition can be liberally perceived.  Perception is a construct of reality -- however, reality is altered by subjective interpretation. If you make rules to construct something within a logic, you can create theoretical impossibilities -- however, doing the same thing (defining your own rules), you can make seemingly impossible things possible also.

*2 = 3
2 + 3 = 5 ("non-modular base 10 arithmetic")
*2 + 3 = 6 (skewed logic)

Possibility and impossibility is a matter of which perception you wish to choose.

You may call me crazy -- but that's not it. I just see the world differently and thoroughly enjoy giving logic-heads a hard time. :smile:

-Merlin 

--------------------
"Once you have an experience, you experience it for the rest of your life ? as time is a man-made relativity, expiration of experience is a thought." - Merlin

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Is it possible to slow down time, and live a longer life? [Re: merlink]
    #1763256 - 07/30/03 05:43 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

I'll use words to make your scenario "impossible": catalogs are inanimate objects and do not have the capability of "listing themselves".

Of course they don't.  I'm using a laymen's explanation because most people are not versed in the language of Set Theory, but believe me, these "catalogs" have been rigorously defined as sets in Set Theory, and they do in fact and undoubtedly posses the properties I described.

Quote:

Using words as definitions is a threat to logic.

I agree, and so do mathematicians.  This is why the language of mathematics is so carefully and rigorously formulated so there is no room for "interpretation".  A proof, if correct, and it's correctness can be verified by careful analysis, is incontrovertible.  It cannot be wrong within the framework of the axioms upon which it is built.  Some of these frameworks are very abstract, and have no intuitive connection with the "real" world, but that doesn't invalidate the absolute truth and incontrovertibility of a correct, rigorous, formal proof.

Quote:

Unfortunately, all scientific theories must be given with a definition of words in order to be solidly accepted.

This is true of physical theories not mathematical proofs.  Proofs are what I was referring to in my original post about impossibilities.  Physicists, chemists, and other non-mathematicians will always work with theories which get refined over time and converge on the ultimate truth without ever reaching it.  Mathematicians reach truth with every proof.

Quote:

You may call me crazy -- but that's not it. I just see the world differently and thoroughly enjoy giving logic-heads a hard time.

WHAT did you call me???  :smile:

-Diploid 

--------------------
Republican Values:

Offlinemerlink
IntergalacticTraveler

Re: Is it possible to slow down time, and live a longer life? [Re: Diploid]
    #1764569 - 07/31/03 01:24 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

hehehe.. nice response.. Is 0 a whole #?

-Merlin

--------------------
"Once you have an experience, you experience it for the rest of your life ? as time is a man-made relativity, expiration of experience is a thought." - Merlin

Offlinetooky
ol' smokeyglazed eyes

#1764981 - 07/31/03 04:48 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

no its a hole number

I'll get my coat  :rolleyes:

--------------------
--
"Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life."

- Terry Pratchett, Jingo, 1997

Offlinecybrbeast
Up, then down, then...
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: event horizon
    #1765229 - 07/31/03 08:41 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Feeling that time goes slower (or faster) has nothing to do with your brainspeed IMO. A more logical explanation would be that there are certain places in your brain which judge elapsed time. That's why we know if something was five minutes ago or 2 hours ago.
Now if you use shrooms the chemicals inside affect the time centre of your brain which causes you to experience time differently.
A recent study concluded that addicted smokers who stop smoking sometimes percieve time as going up to 50% slower. (link: http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99993715)

--------------------
futuretribe.space

Offlinemerlink
IntergalacticTraveler

Re: Is it possible to slow down time, and live a longer life? [Re: cybrbeast]
    #1765820 - 07/31/03 01:32 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Let me get a little bit philosophical on you now:

:smile:

--------------------

Offlinekhemfusion
battleaxewarrior

Loc: West Coast Canada
    #1765991 - 07/31/03 02:33 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Ever read Catch22? Just do boring stuff, it makes the time seem longer :laugh:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience