Home | Community | Message Board

Vaposhop
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
Chronocentrism
    #1759680 - 07/29/03 03:44 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

This word is badly needed.
Seventy years on this planet really puts you in a tough position when it comes to taking planet-wide measurements. Things can seem more epic or catastrophic than they are in the eyes of history. Also, pessimism and chronocentrism can feed off eachother... so it's best to suppress the pessimism or just let your optimism drown it out. Back on topic... our window of time is relatively small. Keep that in mind when you're making your predictions about Armageddon and the end of the world.

Thanks.

*for a moment, Sclorch feels like the antithesis of Syme, the philologist from Orwell's 1984*

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblewhiterasta
Day careobserver
 User Gallery
Loc: Oregon
Re: Chronocentrism [Re: Sclorch]
    #1759749 - 07/29/03 04:10 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Perhaps Autochronocentrism as what you describe seems to arise from more of a personal time frame than the discrete phenom of time.
I do agree though that your root of chronocentrism is quite apropriate to this by the minute society.
Or how do you feel about Neurosocentrism or Psychosocentrism? Wouldn't you agree that the prefix creates the suffix?
Just a though while contemplating the psychosocial phenom of "centrism"and how the very term is so restrictive that any prefix is confined to prejudicial interpretation.
WR

--------------------
To old for this place

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
Re: Chronocentrism [Re: whiterasta]
    #1759914 - 07/29/03 04:52 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

The prejudicial interpretation is desirable in this case, as the term is then more forceful at inserting doubt into a particular thought matrix.
[/pedantism]

Let's put it in easier language:

You not live on earth that long. You stop thinking the time you live in is best. Time looooong. You not. You are like blink of Earth's eye. Oong!

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

InvisibleinfidelGOD
illusion

Loc: there
    #1760363 - 07/29/03 07:25 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

we live humanity 70 years at a time. we never quite get a good sense of time that way.

Invisiblewhiterasta
Day careobserver
 User Gallery
Loc: Oregon
    #1760432 - 07/29/03 07:43 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Yup Got all that the first go round there Ooog.;)
My comment was merely the contemplation of the conotations of the concept of "centrism" hence
Quote:

Neurosocentrism and Psychosocentrism 

Was I too subtle with the social commentary?:grin:
Ungawa twakkaa centrism Wack pick prefix oook oook LOL :wink:
BTW this is one of the few of your posts I fully agree with and you fully missed it :frown:
I so sad
WR:rasta: 

--------------------
To old for this place

Anonymous

#1760451 - 07/29/03 07:50 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I agree but I like WR's word, 'Autochronocentrism', better.

Now this isn't to say that we cannot tell a lot from a perspective 70 years, or even less.

I try not to say things like "the world is going to hell in a handbasket" because that is a 'planet-wide' measurement.

But we can certainly say, "Gee, my town has changed a lot in the last few years" from our perspective and be right on target. And we can also take notice of the way people act as groups within our culture or society particularly within a small area.

I don't think anyone could miss the reaction of people during the first few days after 9/11. I noticed lots of things on the Internet which is a subculture all its own. And I certainly noticed that the Christmas that followed a few months afterwards was noticably different than the few previous Christmas'.

As always broad observations are more difficult when it comes to accuracy, even bordering on stereotypical thinking. This is not to say we can't generalize. Without generalizations and universals we are hard pressed to understand particulars within a proper context.

The thing that caused me to ask the question, "Where has our love gone?", is the observation that when people live in close proximity to one another it seems as if they are less personal, i.e. less loving and caring to one another. If I am not mistaken sociological studies have concluded that the closer people live to one another the worse they treat one another.

Not only is this phenomenon played out in geographic areas of overpopulation, India and China come to mind where 1 human life has little to no value, but the effect is evident in the U.S. where farms and farming communities are more 'tight-knit' and caring when compared to metropolis' that more far more crimes of violence and people are noticably colder when you pass them on the street.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology