Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleDatDaNK420
SeriousShroomage
What in the fuck is this?? Has anyone ever had this b4?
    #1758112 - 07/28/03 11:26 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Ok well this is some weird ass shit. I did 12 jars of creeper, and 12 of EQ, both from TLG. Well the creepers some are showing very very small spots of mycelium. But all of the EQ jars are kinda worrying me after what I discovered. I was checking them out to see if they have germinated yet and i really wish I had a good digital camera, i'm gonna try in a lil and get a picture with my webcam of it but each one of the four holes where i innoculated, i see black specs on the glass lots of them. I was thinking maybe its the spores but i didnt see them when I innoculated all the jars. It seems like they are almost growing, almost as if the substrate in the jar is turning black. I'ts really fucking weird, I cant see it with the creepers, maybe its cuz it was a dark syringe, but im not sure, It's some weird fucking shit. I sure hope the spores were not any good. It's fucking weird as fuck, has anyone had a similar problem? Or any ideas what it might be? I'm gonna post a pic here in a few if it dont come out like shit.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineGregHimself
Just a guyobssesed withshroomies.
Male User Gallery

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Re: What in the fuck is this?? Has anyone ever had this b4? [Re: DatDaNK420]
    #1758135 - 07/28/03 11:36 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

did you flamer sterlize your needle before..and after each individual inoc?

--------------------
"The key to successful cultivation is to match the skills of the cultivator with the right strain on the proper substrate under ideal environmental conditions."
Paul Stamets
Growing Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms(Third Edition)

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
    #1758136 - 07/28/03 11:36 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

>It seems like they are almost growing, almost as if the substrate in the jar is turning black

Sounds like contamination.

OfflinePsilocybin_monkey
Shroomer

Loc: Dragon's Den
    #1758138 - 07/28/03 11:37 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

how long have you waited for them to germinate?Yeah it sounds like it's contams if they are growing like you say and contams will stop spores from germinateing aswell so maybe thast why your not seeing any mycelia growth

--------------------
Welcome to my world!

Edited by Psilocybin_monkey (07/28/03 11:40 PM)

InvisibleDatDaNK420
SeriousShroomage
    #1758139 - 07/28/03 11:37 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

I just took a look at them again and damn does it look weird, it almost looks like little black specs colonizing and shit, no white tho at all. I dont understand it, I guess just wait and hope for white, but this is weird shit. let me see if it will even come up at all in a pic, since my cam is low quality.

OfflinePsilocybin_monkey
Shroomer

#1758154 - 07/28/03 11:43 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

did you serilize your substrate and if so how did you sterilize it?It sounds like contams and if it is you might as well trash the substrate and start all over again.:(

--------------------
Welcome to my world!

InvisibleDatDaNK420
SeriousShroomage
    #1758179 - 07/28/03 11:52 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Ok well scratch the pic idea they dont come up they are so small. Well it has been 3 days i think maybe 4, not to sure but damn do they look fucking weird. And yes i steralized the needle, but its weird it looks like almost as if these little black specs are multiplying. It's really fucking weird cuz im damn sure they werent there when i innoculated um. And the other weird thing is I steralized the jars the same as the other 12 jars of creeper so why would they get contaminated. I'm thinking but this may be a long shot. I made enough brf verm mixture for 12 jars and had enough left over for 4 so i went out like 4-5 hours later and got jars and filled um with what I had left over, but i covered the bowl with foil and felt a piece to make sure the moisture was still right and it was. This shit is weird.

OfflineEthanEdwards
In which Dorisgets her oats

#1758188 - 07/28/03 11:59 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

There is a whole contamination forum. It can't be that weird.

--------------------
Everybody must give something back for something they got.- Bob Dylan

Offlinemonkeymagic
journeyman

#1758194 - 07/29/03 12:01 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

I've had that contamination before. I've actually had a jar i forgot about and the whole thing was black. Lots of fun. You are most likely going to have to toss em, sorry man.

--------------------
I don't grow mushrooms... I grow contaminates!

OfflinePsilocybin_monkey
Shroomer

#1758203 - 07/29/03 12:05 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

did you use a presure cook to sterilize the jar filled with substrate?

Quote:

I made enough brf verm mixture for 12 jars and had enough left over for 4 so i went out like 4-5 hours later and got jars and filled um with what I had left over, but i covered the bowl with foil and felt a piece to make sure the moisture was still right and it was.

sounds like to me you never presure cooked them to sterilize them? if it looks like the dark spec are bigger I would trash those jars(you can reuse the jars just get rid of the substrate inside them) and only keep the jars with mycelia growth in them but if you want to wait a day or two longer just to be 100% sure then go ahead but i'm pretty sure it's contams

--------------------
Welcome to my world!

InvisibleDatDaNK420
SeriousShroomage
Re: What in the fuck is this?? Has anyone ever had this b4? [Re: monkeymagic]
    #1758208 - 07/29/03 12:07 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Ok well i dont really give a fuck but this is the thing, I'm guessing I got a contaminated syringe from TLG, cuz there is no way my jars were not sterile. SO what I am going to do since I have 5 cc's left is do a honey jar and that will replace the lost jars if they turn out to be a contaminated which they appear to be.

InvisibleDatDaNK420
SeriousShroomage
    #1758227 - 07/29/03 12:14 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

<sounds like to me you never presure cooked them to sterilize them>

I'm not a fucking nomad. And yes i sterilized the jars for an hour and a half on a slow boil in a pot with a lid and 1 inch of water in it like I did with all my other jars and I have never had 1 jar contaminate.

OfflinePsilocybin_monkey
Shroomer

#1758272 - 07/29/03 12:31 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

I'm guessing I got a contaminated syringe from TLG, cuz there is no way my jars were not sterile. SO what I am going to do since I have 5 cc's left is do a honey jar and that will replace the lost jars if they turn out to be a contaminated which they appear to be.

Well if the syringe is contamed like you say it is if you do the honey tek you will get contams too because the contams would be in the syringe.So I would talk to who ever you got it from and see what you can come up with.

>I'm not a fucking nomad

no need to get rude I was just asking because you said you went out to get jars and filled them up and never said anything about PCing them in your post I should have worded it different too (asked if you PCed the jars when you got back)

--------------------
Welcome to my world!

Edited by Psilocybin_monkey (07/29/03 12:32 AM)

InvisibleDatDaNK420
SeriousShroomage
Re: What in the fuck is this?? Has anyone ever had this b4? [Re: Psilocybin_monkey]
    #1758294 - 07/29/03 12:41 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

that was a joke bro LOL, sorry my jokes are vulgar and offensive.

OfflineTantalus
Beyonddescription.
    #1758352 - 07/29/03 12:57 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

TLG would normally replace the syringe, I don't know if that has changed since they only sell prints now though.

--------------------
"A nation's hope of lasting peace cannot be firmly based upon any race in armaments but rather upon just relations and honest understanding with all other nations...

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed... The cost of one modern heavy bomber is this: a modern brick school in more than 30 cities. We pay for a single fighter with a half million bushels of wheat. We pay for a single destroyer with new homes that could have housed more than 8,000 people..."

President Dwight Eisenhower, 1953

Offlinegovna
Janitor
Male User Gallery
Re: What in the fuck is this?? Has anyone ever had this b4? [Re: Tantalus]
    #1758472 - 07/29/03 01:48 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Vulgar, offensive jokes never go over so well when typed. In fact, they never go over so well when spoken, at least in my experience (never stops me though). I am a smart ass, admittedly, and am always pissing people off who don't understand me. I finally learned to be less of a smart ass when talking to people online, because you just can't put the same inflection in your words as you can with youi voice, and people never take the things I say the right way.

OfflinePsilocybin_monkey
Shroomer

Re: What in the fuck is this?? Has anyone ever had this b4? [Re: govna]
    #1758628 - 07/29/03 03:11 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

hahah thats cool I was wondering why you would just fly off like that for no reason lol and my joke are just as bad as yours but i put a haha,lol,j/k so they know that i'm messing with them

--------------------
Welcome to my world!

InvisibleWizzang
Deviant

#1758678 - 07/29/03 04:05 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I think it's one of the two things that have been said before as well, contamination from the needle during the time of innoculation; or contaminated syringe.  I vote for the latter though since all jars contaminated.  I'm sure TLG would replace the syringe if you cared but saying that it was growing this weird black shit would, well.... imply growing.

Actually I found the "fucking nomad" comment fitting in the situation.  (although online comments are often misinterpreted, especially sarcasm)
It seemed kind of obvious that the jars were already sterile considing that the contamination was only at the innoculation points and not over the entire jar at once.  That leaves the possiblity of infection only from a faulty vermiculite layer, an infected needle or a contamined syringe.
Just my analysis.
Oh yeah, GL with that creeper.  :mushroom2: 

--------------------
I was once a man I used to know
He changed into a man I have been
And became the man I am today

InvisibleOJK
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: What in the fuck is this?? Has anyone ever had this b4? [Re: Wizzang]
    #1758819 - 07/29/03 05:48 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I wouldn't assume that just because you sterilised the jars, it must be the syringe that was contaminated; firstly, using a pot with a lid on slow boil isn't nearly as effective as using a pressure cooker, because the temperature in the pot will always be lower, and secondly there are some contams that can survive even pressure cooking; you might just of been lucky in the past.

Anyways, if you get a free syringe then fuckit, no problem

InvisibleDatDaNK420
SeriousShroomage
Re: What in the fuck is this?? Has anyone ever had this b4? [Re: OJK]
    #1759308 - 07/29/03 10:36 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Nope I've never had a problem with the last 12 jars, and 12 jars of creeper that are all colonizing now. So I'm gonna trouble shoot it and easiest way is to do the honey tek that will tell me if i have conataminated spores.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck