Home | Community | Message Board

Azarius
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Oyster Shell, Peat, Perlite, Vermiculite, pH Test Strips

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinejimsuzo
I am the Eggman

Loc: Land of the not-so-free
Trichoderma versus the newbie mycologist in the Tropics
    #1757868 - 07/29/03 12:19 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I live in the tropics - SE Asia to be somewhat more specific. Damn this f'in trich - it's kicking my ass. I've basically had to give up on indoor casing cos the trich always comes in after 2 flushes - sometimes only after the first. Now I'm finding it turning up in my outdoor patch as well. I was under the impression that UV light (i.e. sunlight) is supposed to kill trich. Apparently that's not the case - at least not to the extent that it can't survive under the shade of a tree. anyway - I've dosed it with some salt - hopefully i'll get something out of it.

Anyway - enough of my rant. Does anyone else here live in the tropics? If so - does trich kick your ass as well? If not, what specifically are you doing to prevent it other than wash, wash, washing your hands and spray, spray, spraying Lysol all the time??

--------------------
There are roughly nine galaxies for every person alive on the planet today. Each of these galaxies has a billion suns, give or take the odd hundred million

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineSiphersh
Self-proclaimedhuman
Loc: Hungary
Re: Trichoderma versus the newbie mycologist in the Tropics [Re: jimsuzo]
    #1758759 - 07/29/03 07:17 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

OK dont worry, we'll fix that!

I live under moderate climate, but still, I believe I can help you, for I use a TEK that is specially designed for preventing post-casing contamination.

First: What TEK do you use?

Offlinejimsuzo
I am the Eggman

Re: Trichoderma versus the newbie mycologist in the Tropics [Re: Siphersh]
    #1759027 - 07/29/03 09:31 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I'm using Richard Hawke's 50/50+ casing tek v 3.0 for my indoor project and Moe's outdoor tek for the garden. The trich seems to love 'em both. I'd love to hear more about your tek.

--------------------
There are roughly nine galaxies for every person alive on the planet today. Each of these galaxies has a billion suns, give or take the odd hundred million

OfflineSiphersh
Self-proclaimedhuman
    #1759039 - 07/29/03 09:37 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

First of all: do not use any casing material that contains organic stuff.

Two important questins: no three:

Do you have vermiculite?
Do you have perlite?
And can you get some hydrogen peroxide?

Offlinejimsuzo
I am the Eggman

#1759133 - 07/29/03 10:30 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

my casing is roughly half peat moss and half vermiculite with some oyster shell to even out the ph.  I have all the materials you mention and i use them - although not quite like you do.  I just saw your perlite bed tek and it sounds like its defintitely worth a try. 

What I really was hoping for by posting this thread was some expert advice from someone that has dealt with attempts at cultivating in similar tropical, mold-laden environments.  I wasn't expecting a solution from someone in Hungary, but i think it's cool you responded to me and that you at least have an idea to solve the problem.  I'll certainly give your tek a go.  You're The Bomb if it works!    :grin: 

--------------------

Edited by jimsuzo (07/29/03 10:48 AM)

OfflineSiphersh
Self-proclaimedhuman
    #1759158 - 07/29/03 10:52 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

You can read a short description of my tek in the Perlite-bed TEK topic @ mushroom cultivation.

I use whole grain wheat as substrate. If you follow my advice, and change to non-organic casing layer, you will have to have all your organic resources in the substrate. The point is that I surround the grown substrate with wet perlite. I recommend you to create a tight, hard perlite-bed, a kind of valley made of pushed-down perlite. Put your substrate into this cavity, and on the top some wet vermiculite. Use water with desinfecting material in it. I use h2o2 1% during casing, and 0.5 % afterwards. The water supply is to be caotiously added to the perlite. Which means, that the substrate is always directly surrounded by unorganic perlite and vermiculite soaking in chemicals. The vermiculite is in connection with the perlite, so it is also wet.

If your climate is so wet, that the water from the perlite is not taken by the micelium, than add more concentrated chemicals to the perlite.

The organic element is thus not in direct connection with the outside air. For the trichoderma to get to the substrate, it has to go through the unorganic vermiculit, and gets killed.

You may wonder why I recommend h2o2 in the case of fungal contamination... Well, h2o2 makes oxigen, which makes your micelium stronger, but the intruder as well. I dont't know. Maybe you should try with another chemical.

Offlinejimsuzo
I am the Eggman

#1759167 - 07/29/03 10:57 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

thanks a lot. I'll get back to you with my results.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Oyster Shell, Peat, Perlite, Vermiculite, pH Test Strips

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation