Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinelysergic
Mycophile!
A question about "subjective" morality
    #1756335 - 07/28/03 01:37 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I've read many posts that deal with the Iraq issue. My main point about Iraq is that we have a moral obligation to intervene on teh behalf of innocents being gassed (such as the 5k people that died on March 16, 1988). The most common, and fallacious, response to that was that we can't use OUR moral beliefs to judge how they should act. THEY have thecultural beliefs that they do, so what they are doing is right, because their cultural beliefs dictate it is so.

Well, the majority of the American public was for the Iraq war, meaning that OUR cultural belief stated what we were doing is correct. Now, how can one accredit "subjective morality" to us having to allow Saddam to gas innocents, but not apply it to us bombing military targets?

In other words, if your argument is, as I've seen Silver soul 7 state, that their moral code doesn't critizize their actions, so we shouldn't either, we should appy tat to ourselves. The majority o fAmericans were for the war, therefor, our "moral code" was for the war, and if the IRaqi's or whoever don't like it, well, it's "subjective"

In other other words, if you refuse to critize the Iraqi's because their is no "Right" or "wrong", objectively, then you can't critize the US government, beacuse the same standards apply to them.

It is fallacious to say "Their is no right or wrong, but we are wrong". see what I mean?

Let me know what yat hink, and SS7, don't be offenede bro, I wasn'tm eaning that as a personal attack or anything
peace

--------------------
In response to an attack killing 15 American Servicemen
PsiloKitten said:
Just give em a little more time, the iraqis are making great progress. And this is unorganized. Wait till they get organized.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAzmodeus
Seeker

Loc: Lotus Land!! B.C.
Re: A question about "subjective" morality [Re: lysergic]
    #1756496 - 07/28/03 02:25 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

In the grand scheme of things morality is meaningless. All that matters is the reality of the stuation. It wasn't morally right for america to go into iraq, but it certainly wasn't morally wrong either. In general i find it best to only apply morality to things that directly concern myself, and impartial logic and reason to everything else. Although there is logic...and ego-less logic, and i believe ego-less logic is something we should all work towards.

There was a thread on morality called moral absolutes that i started if your interestedin the topic, i wouldn't mind hearing your input....
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=1531220&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=1&vc=1

--------------------
"Know your Body - Know your Mind - Know your Substance - Know your Source.

Lest we forget. "

Edited by Azmodeus (07/28/03 02:26 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder