Home | Community | Message Board

Kraken Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinewicish1
Mr. Myco Moron

Loc: Shithole, USA
When do I birth?
    #1755593 - 07/28/03 11:02 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

There are too many conflicting thoughts about how long to wait after the outside of the cake is colonized to birth PF cakes. Can someone with experience on PF cakes let my friend know the best amount of time to wait? 10 days of incubation and two of his cakes are completely covered on the outside and on the bottom, the other two cakes are close behind!

--------------------
How many times do I have to tell you, I was running through the woods and tripped on some mushrooms!!! Well, at least I'm not lying.:crazy:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineMykeOfile
stranger thanmost
Loc: behind the bookshelf
Re: When do I birth? [Re: wicish1]
    #1755806 - 07/28/03 12:50 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

give a day r so then stick them suckers in the fruiter, really if ur not dunking or ne thing u can get away with birthing as soon as the outside is 100%, but it aint a bad idea to let the network build up n strengthen for a day or two

--------------------
u know it aint funny when u aint got no money and the clock strikes 420 and u wanna get high
~Kottonmouth Kings

InvisibleMycoCakeEater
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Re: When do I birth? [Re: MykeOfile]
    #1755813 - 07/28/03 12:52 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

You will want to let them sit for 3-5 days after 100% outside colonization. Lets the middle get nice and white.

Offlinetchyted
miestro
Loc: WA near seattle
Re: When do I birth? [Re: wicish1]
    #1755881 - 07/28/03 01:14 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

see above.

it has been some time since i used pf tek. but in essence what you want is a barrier to any contams that may fall on virgin uncolonized substrate. mold spores have a way of finding the one and only little speck of uncolonized material, even when it appears to be 100%. mold can often be more vigorous than mushroom mycelium, and can take over your entire cake. once the substrate is fully colonized with healthy cells, they will litterally digest any organic matter that falls within their reach, including mold spores.

if you have a jar shortage, it makes sence to birth them ASAP. it may even be worth the risk to birth a bit early, spray the cake with 9 to 1 hydrogen peroxide solution, and hope for the best.

if you do not have a jar shortage, then the original tek reccomends you keep the cake in the jar until you see actual pinheads. it may require loosening the lid to initiate pinset.

there is another tek that derives from pf, in which the cake is never birthed from its original jar. this is known as the invitro method, in which there are two main schools of thought. one is to cover the jar with black paper, and remove the lid, sometimes with the addition of a paper extension to the top of the jar, which forces the shrooms to grow from the top of the jar and grow tall enough to escape the trapped CO2. the jar and extension hold the slightly heavier than air gas when in an upright position. this is widly used in enoke culture. the second school of thought is to just let them grow in the jar a-la-neglect.

i never have enough jars, but i still leave spawn in its jar for at least three days after 100% to be absolutly sure it is fully colonized. to me it is worth the rent on the jar, compared to the cost of throwing out all of my work just because i got impatient.

Edited by tchyted (07/28/03 01:16 PM)

Offlinewicish1
Mr. Myco Moron

Loc: Shithole, USA
Re: When do I birth? [Re: tchyted]
    #1755916 - 07/28/03 01:21 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Thanks brother shroomers! I was thinking about the 3-5 days but just wanted some reassurance! Thanks again!!

--------------------
How many times do I have to tell you, I was running through the woods and tripped on some mushrooms!!! Well, at least I'm not lying.:crazy:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation