Home | Community | Message Board

Gaiana.nl
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Coir, Peat, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineMrSleep
P. Cubensis
Casing - Even Pin Sets/Other Q's
    #1754526 - 07/28/03 02:17 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Ok, my friend wants to try a casing in a few years but wants to know how to do this in advance. He says that he plans to case 4 pf cakes in an aluminum baking tray with straight verm. He wants to know:

a.) What's the best method of sterilizing this baking tray? Should he bother sterilizing?

b.) How does my friend get an even pin set. He's heard of patch-casing but this sounds weird to him because he doesn't understand how you know when the rest of the mycelium has "caught up" and when to STOP patch-casing.

c.) If my friend chooses to case with coco-coir AND verm. can he just microwave the mix in a microwave safe bowl with saran wrap over it? Like a metal mixing bowl or ceramic bowl?

If you don't understand my friends q's let me know, I'll phrase them differently for him. Thanks.
-Mr.Sleep

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblemicro
bunbun has a gungun
Male User Gallery

Loc: Brick City
Re: Casing - Even Pin Sets/Other Q's [Re: MrSleep]
    #1754548 - 07/28/03 02:34 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

You could sterilize it with rubbing alcohol if you want and let it evaporate; I don't but it can't hurt.

Even colonization depends mostly on how evenly it's cased; if there are chunks of mycelium higher than the rest these will pop through earlier, same with shallow parts of the casing. Also has to do with how well the casing is mixed. Breaking the substrate up smaller helps even colonization. Overlay (patches) can also occur if the the temperature is too high (too much evaporation) or if the casing is too shallow or watering it too much or too little. It's also caused by fruiting it too late.

Something I do is "crumble" the casing between my fingers so it's more airy -- this helps. Remember to squeeze out *almost* all the extra water before applying it -- only one or two drops should come out if you sqeeze it really hard -- this is the ideal water saturation.

Fruit when spots of mycelium are poking evenly through the casing -- you want spots, not patches but they should be evenly distributed. If it's not even, this is when you need to patch -- just so it colonizes more evenly, but you still just want to see even spots poking through. It'll colonize the casing a bit after you fruit it; keep this in mind.

Hope that helped a bit.

--
Micro

--------------------
Any research paper or book for free
(Avatar is Maxxy, a character by Mizzyam, RIP)

Edited by micro (07/28/03 02:39 AM)

OfflineMrSleep
P. Cubensis
Re: Casing - Even Pin Sets/Other Q's [Re: micro]
    #1754588 - 07/28/03 02:56 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

micro any response to question 3? (I just added it)
-Mr.Sleep

Invisiblemicro
bunbun has a gungun
Male User Gallery

#1754607 - 07/28/03 03:05 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Well, you can't microwave a metal mixing bowl. It would prolly have to be moist, but I guess you could do that.

Sorry -- I've really only use peat/lime (no sterilization,) but:

http://www.mycotopia.net/discus/messages/5/5286.html?1008472281

.... or someone else with experience in the matter?

--
Micro

--------------------

OfflineMrSleep
P. Cubensis
Re: Casing - Even Pin Sets/Other Q's [Re: micro]
    #1754623 - 07/28/03 03:16 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Hey thanks micro. When you say you only use peat/lime you mean you ONLY use peat/lime, no verm, no coir? If so, why? And is it still as good?
-Mr.Sleep

Invisiblemicro
bunbun has a gungun
Male User Gallery

#1754665 - 07/28/03 03:46 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah, I just use peat/lime for the casing and a thin (partially dampened) vermiculite layer at the bottom to absorb extra moisture. Most people don't reccomend it because it's a pain-in-the-ass if you don't do things right and can get contaminated really easily. I use it because I believe it makes bigger flushes (when not sterilized) and is pretty contaminant-resistant if done the right way, but most people have problems with it. I think the key is the crumbling thing -- you really have to *make* it airy by doing this, and also the incubation when you are running the mycelium through the casing -- you want the right amount of CO2 buildup. I usually fan it off about every other day when running it through the casing, but I judge how often by the smell. Ususlly it takes about 3 or 4 days to colonize.

Coco coir + vermiculite work great, too, but it's just not my niche. Most people would reccomend this or at least mixing the peat with vermiculite. The above won't matter as much if you use these.

--
Micro

--------------------

Offlinehyper_dermic
stranger withcandy

Loc: the land of excess
    #1755140 - 07/28/03 07:04 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

as for question 3,
yes, just dont use metal bowl,
mix your coir and verm in a microwave safe bowl, add a *TOUCH* more water than field capacity*
then saran wrap it, nuke 5 min, shake, nuke 5 min, place in oven to cool....

*the extra water is an optional step, i seem to lose some water to evaporation in the microwave.. even with the saran wrap (it leaks down the side of the bowl)... if u dont feel comfortable doin this you can always mist your casing material once u are done casing...

good luck, coir and verm work great...

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Coir, Peat, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation