Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinecmfhegs
captain of industry :)
Male
Loc: USA Flag
Question about humidifier and air holes, modified PMP method
    #17541408 - 01/13/13 09:19 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

I am planning to do something like the PMP method, using hydroton.  I will use my setup as an incubator first and then fruiting chamber. The rubbermaid container seals up pretty tight.
My question is this: If I am using a Reptile Fogger Terrarium Humidifier
along with an automated hygrometer to keep up humidity, should I still:
a) cut holes at the bottom or top for CO2 to escape
b) use an air pump submersed in water to provide a good FAE
c) all of the above
d) none of the above

Edited by cmfhegs (01/13/13 09:25 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibletoxetel
׀ǝʇǝxoʇ ●

Re: Question about humidifier and air holes, modified PMP method [Re: cmfhegs]
    #17541535 - 01/13/13 10:08 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Are you new to cultivation? Both incubation and the PMP are generally considered outdated. Room temperature colonization and shotgun fruiting chambers are recommended these days. I really think you're making your grow much more complicated and less effective.

But to try to answer your questions:

What's an automated hygrometer? Do you mean a hygrostat?

A fogger won't give you FAE on its own, so you definitely need to do something else.

You definitely need holes to let un-fresh air out. Definitely.

An air pump submersed in the water? Do you mean airstones submersed in the water? If a pump is to bring in fresh air at all it has to be outside the chamber. You'll need a pretty hefty pump to provide enough FAE unless your chamber is very small or you're only growing a small amount of mushrooms.

Offlinecmfhegs
captain of industry :)
Male
Loc: USA Flag
Re: Question about humidifier and air holes, modified PMP method [Re: toxetel]
    #17541765 - 01/13/13 11:18 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

I am new and thank you for the response. I've been trying to search and avoid posting unless necessary.

I did mean to say hygromemter - here is a link to the one I ordered- Zoo Med HygroTherm Humidity and Temperature Controller -
http://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-HygroTherm-Temperature-Controller/dp/B0019IHK9Q/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1358100186&sr=8-3&keywords=hygrostat

I think that I will return the humidifier and hygrometer in order to simplify.

I did mean to say air stones submersed in water, I will be cultivating 10 cakes in a 66L (or 17 gallon) tub and was planning to use two air pumps to create enough FAE.

My other thought was to still use hyroton as a base, but have my air stone submerged in a jar in the corner of the FC.

From what I've read, people suggest a variety of hole sizes and location, from 1/4" to 1.25" filled with poly-fil. Is there a size that you would recommend? locations?

Invisibletoxetel
׀ǝʇǝxoʇ ●

Re: Question about humidifier and air holes, modified PMP method [Re: cmfhegs]
    #17543604 - 01/13/13 05:53 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

The HygroTherm you linked to is a hygrostat (or humidistat), and happens to have a built-in hygrometer also.

Great idea to return the humidifier and HygroTherm. Also return the hydroton and airstones and air pump (if you bought them already). Use a tiny fraction of the money you get back to buy some perlite.

You won't need the air pumps to create FAE if you use a proper SGFC. And you won't need the hydroton and airstones to create humidity if you fill the bottom of the SGFC with hydrated perlite.

The large holes you're reading about are not for shotgun fruiting chambers; they're for monotubs which are for bulk grows and not for cakes.

You want to drill 1/4" holes on a 2" grid all over all six sides of your tub (even the bottom). Rinse, saturate, and drain enough perlite to fill the tub to a height of about 4 inches. Raise the tub off the surface it's sitting on with some jars or something, so air can get into the bottom as well as the sides and top. This'll be the perfect chamber to fruit your cakes.

Watch the video and read the text on this page: http://www.mushroomvideos.com/Terrarium-Tek

I highly recommend buying the whole set of full-length high-resolution videos. 9 bucks is practically nothing for the amount of instruction you get out of them. The first of 16 chapters is more than half an hour long and is all about how to grow mushrooms on brown rice flour cakes in a shotgun fruiting chamber.

Good luck!

OfflineTrippy_Penguin
 User Gallery

Re: Question about humidifier and air holes, modified PMP method [Re: toxetel]
    #17543779 - 01/13/13 06:37 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

toxetel said:
Great idea to return the humidifier and HygroTherm. Also return the hydroton and airstones and air pump (if you bought them already). Use a tiny fraction of the money you get back to buy some perlite.

Good luck!

:rockon:

Good advice IMO. My first PF grow I tried to get all fancy with these tools. I had a blast building a complex fruiting chamber, but in reality I wasted a couple hundred bucks building a fruiting chamber that wasn't even as functional as a SGFC. Save the money and apply it towards something else like a PC if you don't have one. All you need is a tub, some lights, some perlite, and a drill!

Good luck!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds