Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinefroste
Gypsy Joker
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA Flag
The FrostE Filter (for jar lids) w/ pics
    #17530089 - 01/10/13 09:05 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

The FrostE Filter

Okay, i didn't want to have to wait days for the disk filters since i can only get them online, and i didn't want a big hole in my lids to use poly fill either. So i did some research on jar filters and some brainstorming on making my own jar lid filter and this is what i came up with.

Tools you will need:

Supplys you will need:
a lid (of course) and a rubber grommet:
some poly fill for pillows:
some tubing:
and some screws: 
I got all this from ACE hardware by the way.

First, drill a hole in your lid to fit your grommet:
Then ream it out a littel to get rid of the barbed edges and make your hole a little smoother
Then take your lid and grommet and put the grommet in the lid

Second, take your tubing and cut it at about an inch and a half:
then slide your tube into your grommet to the mid point and drill a hole right above the grommet
and right below where your screw comes to
They didn't have short enough screws so as you can see i had to cut them to my desired length
Then pull your tube out and drill holes from your grommet hole to your screw hole like so
then clean it out

Thrid, you will take a little of your poly fill
twist and roll it so that it is tapered like so
Then thread, and twist it into your tube till you can get it out the other side
Then cut the ends of the poly fill off at the edges of your tube
and make sure to push the poly fill in a tiny bit at each end so you have room for the screws

The last step is to take one of the srews out, slide your tube threw your grommet to the mid point and put that screw back in the end of the tube and you have this

--------------------
FrostE

:eyeball::heartpump::mushroom2::sporedrop::mushdance::fearandloathing:

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
Hunter S. Thompson

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineTmethylM
Smear in the shale
 User Gallery

Loc: Florida
Trusted Cultivator
Re: The FrostE Filter (for jar lids) w/ pics [Re: froste] * 1
    #17530102 - 01/10/13 09:08 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

I think it's an excellent lid design and concept.
But I think your tubing should be 200 - 300% larger in diameter, and not stick so far into the jar on the inside.
I don't think you'll get enough GE from that little tube. Just my opinion.

The concept is flawless though, no contam is making it through a polyfil filled tube, thats for sure.
The 300: 'In that narrow pass, their numbers account for nothing!" :rofl:

--------------------
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Invisiblemushmagic
supporting radical habits
Male User Gallery

Loc: Candyland
Re: The FrostE Filter (for jar lids) w/ pics [Re: Tmethyl]
    #17530267 - 01/10/13 09:41 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Great idea cheap and reliable:thumbup: I'm guessing the tubing is made of polypropylene, correct?

--------------------

Trade list in journal (partially under construction; more to be added)

Don't judge a man by what kinda shoes he in, judge a man on where that man's shoes been.

OfflineTrippy_Smurf
Sketchy Mother Fucker
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Smurf Villiage Flag
Re: The FrostE Filter (for jar lids) w/ pics [Re: mushmagic]
    #17530294 - 01/10/13 09:47 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

What is the advantage over just drilling a hole in the lid and stuffing it with polyfill?

--------------------
SECURITY:  READ THIS!

Chef:  Kids, what did I tell you about drugs?
Kids:  There's a time and a place for everything, and it's called college.

How to be a good shroomie    How to grow mushrooms    A collection of good links (may be outdated)    How things should look    How to pass a drug test

OfflineTmethylM
Smear in the shale
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: The FrostE Filter (for jar lids) w/ pics [Re: Trippy_Smurf]
    #17530301 - 01/10/13 09:48 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Trippy_Smurf said:
What is the advantage over just drilling a hole in the lid and stuffing it with polyfill?

The spartan effect. :grin:

(not much really, since polyfil lids are like 100% effective as is, these are just his personal design)

--------------------
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Invisiblegizmo1
Other User Gallery

Loc: FREEDOM Flag
    #17530450 - 01/10/13 10:16 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

I agree. Dont think its gonna get enough gas exchange also you need an injection site. You could just stuff the polyfil inside the grommet. I like that you are being creative though.

--------------------
Trade List
🖕🖕🖕
6 hole Mini Monos

Offlinefroste
Gypsy Joker
Male User Gallery

Re: The FrostE Filter (for jar lids) w/ pics [Re: gizmo1]
    #17530558 - 01/10/13 10:41 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Tmethyl said:
I think it's an excellent lid design and concept.
But I think your tubing should be 200 - 300% larger in diameter, and not stick so far into the jar on the inside.
I don't think you'll get enough GE from that little tube. Just my opinion.

The concept is flawless though, no contam is making it through a polyfil filled tube, thats for sure.
The 300: 'In that narrow pass, their numbers account for nothing!" :rofl:

Thank you

Quote:

Tmethyl said:
Quote:

Trippy_Smurf said:

The spartan effect. :grin:

(not much really, since poly fill lids are like 100% effective as is, these are just his personal design)

Yes, it is just my personal design and i wouldn't say its better than just stuffing the hole with poly fill but i didn't want my grains touching the poly fill when i shake them... why not? just a preference that i have.

Quote:

mushmagic said:
Great idea cheap and reliable:thumbup: I'm guessing the tubing is made of polypropylene, correct?

not sure really... i just got a couple feet from ace that was in the plumbing section of the back wall it was the only kind that they had.... i normally check what im getting first, wish i did now, but i very well may go back and get some bigger grommets and tubing and i will check.

Quote:

gizmo1 said:
I agree. Dont think its gonna get enough gas exchange also you need an injection site. You could just stuff the polyfil inside the grommet. I like that you are being creative though.

I can just bend the tube and stick the syringe through one of the holes and through the part of the tube inside the jar to inoculate.

--------------------
FrostE

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
Hunter S. Thompson

OfflineTrippy_Smurf
Sketchy Mother Fucker
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: The FrostE Filter (for jar lids) w/ pics [Re: froste]
    #17530664 - 01/10/13 11:10 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

If it's not PP, you could really fuck up your jars/grains/PC when you PC them.

--------------------

How to be a good shroomie    How to grow mushrooms    A collection of good links (may be outdated)    How things should look    How to pass a drug test

OfflineThe shroomy 1
Luminous beings surround me
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The Aether
Trusted Cultivator
    #17530687 - 01/10/13 11:15 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

This was a very cool Tek!  The only thing I'm confused about is..... when did we stop using Tyvek envelopes?  Drill 4 holes in a lid and cut a FREE Tyvek envelped in the proper size and your done.  Did I mention it's free?

--------------------

AMU Q&A thread.

OfflineTrippy_Smurf
Sketchy Mother Fucker
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: The FrostE Filter (for jar lids) w/ pics [Re: The shroomy 1]
    #17530807 - 01/10/13 11:44 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

The shroomy 1 said:
This was a very cool Tek!  The only thing I'm confused about is..... when did we stop using Tyvek envelopes?  Drill 4 holes in a lid and cut a FREE Tyvek envelped in the proper size and your done.  Did I mention it's free?

When we found that the pores in cheap postal tyvek enlarge to much larger than mold spores when pressure cooked.

--------------------

Offlinethiotimoline
Stranger
 User Gallery
Loc: Bay Area
    #17530852 - 01/11/13 12:00 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

What about Tyvek grocery bags? I got a few of them free and they look sturdier than envelopes but obviously that's not enough to be sure.

Offlinefroste
Gypsy Joker
Male User Gallery

#17530917 - 01/11/13 12:22 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

The shroomy 1 said:

Let me clarify that i am in by no means trying to replace any other method or even say that my idea is "better than..." I am just working on a filter design for my jars for myself and sharing it with everyone... after hearing some feedback i already have an idea of how i want to improve it... Iron sharpens iron my friend, and and even the shapest knife can sometimes have dull spots.
But like I said: i am in by no means trying to replace any other method or even say that my idea is "better than..."

--------------------
FrostE

Hunter S. Thompson

OfflineThe shroomy 1
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #17530966 - 01/11/13 12:44 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Trippy_Smurf said:
Quote:

The shroomy 1 said:

When we found that the pores in cheap postal tyvek enlarge to much larger than mold spores when pressure cooked.

I don't PC my Tyvek disks.  :wink:

--------------------

AMU Q&A thread.

OfflineThe shroomy 1
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #17530990 - 01/11/13 12:56 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

froste said:
Quote:

The shroomy 1 said:

Let me clarify that i am in by no means trying to replace any other method or even say that my idea is "better than..." I am just working on a filter design for my jars for myself and sharing it with everyone... after hearing some feedback i already have an idea of how i want to improve it... Iron sharpens iron my friend, and and even the shapest knife can sometimes have dull spots.
But like I said: i am in by no means trying to replace any other method or even say that my idea is "better than..."

I totally get it my friend...  It just seemed like I had been out of the loop for a while and while your Tek is really well thought out nicely presented, I was just trying to presence the Tyvek disks that many of us made about a year ago.  I've made some really far out Teks in my days which I've scrubbed off my journal because they were really "self Indulgent".  When I say that, I mean that they really were A "Fancy" way of getting something done that could have been done "cheaper" and sooooo much easier to achieve the "end result",  I was in nooooo way trying to discredit your Tek.  It's because of Members like you that this site exists!  Keep learning!... Keep Sharing your breakthroughs!  :inlove:

--------------------

AMU Q&A thread.

Offlinefroste
Gypsy Joker
Male User Gallery

#17531131 - 01/11/13 02:01 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

The shroomy 1 said:
I totally get it my friend...  It just seemed like I had been out of the loop for a while and while your Tek is really well thought out nicely presented, I was just trying to presence the Tyvek disks that many of us made about a year ago.  I've made some really far out Teks in my days which I've scrubbed off my journal because they were really "self Indulgent".  When I say that, I mean that they really were A "Fancy" way of getting something done that could have been done "cheaper" and sooooo much easier to achieve the "end result",  I was in nooooo way trying to discredit your Tek.  It's because of Members like you that this site exists!  Keep learning!... Keep Sharing your breakthroughs!  :inlove:

Thank you very much, i appreciate you thoughts, feedback and kind words... especially coming from a trusted cultivator. I have only been into this hobby since October, but i love it so much, i didn't think that i would get this into it, but i find it so interesting and amazing.

--------------------
FrostE

Hunter S. Thompson

OfflineTrippy_Smurf
Sketchy Mother Fucker
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #17531567 - 01/11/13 07:47 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

The shroomy 1 said:
Quote:

Trippy_Smurf said:
Quote:

The shroomy 1 said:

I don't PC my Tyvek disks.  :wink:

Then how do you sterilize them?

--------------------

OfflineThe shroomy 1
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #17532557 - 01/11/13 12:43 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Trippy_Smurf said:
Then how do you sterilize them?

I don't necessarily sterilize them.  I use a product called Spray nine http://www.spraynine.com/product/spray-nine-cleanerdisinfectant-635 ; And I inoculate in front of my Flowhood.  It's worked for me for many years.  https://files.shroomery.org/files/10-24/708379996-DSC00722.jpg  I'm also really picky about my "Work environment" and all the procedures I take during a grow.  I've done up to 90 qt jars at one time with about 8 jars winding up being contaminated.  I'll take those numbers any day.  :smile:

--------------------

AMU Q&A thread.

InvisibleOeric McKenna
LIFE CAPS

Loc: Babylon Flag
    #17532622 - 01/11/13 12:56 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

The success rate you want for 90 jars is 90 jars hahaha

10% fail yikes, that's $

OfflineTmethylM
Smear in the shale
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: The FrostE Filter (for jar lids) w/ pics [Re: Oeric McKenna]
    #17532643 - 01/11/13 01:01 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Basically, Shroomy 1, tyvek is so last year. Tyvek is out,  felt and SFD are in. :wink:

--------------------
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

InvisibleOeric McKenna
LIFE CAPS

Loc: Babylon Flag
    #17532658 - 01/11/13 01:05 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

You sterilize grain with disinfectant?

I'm a huge fan of spray 9 products btw. Their cleaner takes paint off the walls but I don't understand what you're saying

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract