Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleATWAR
Connoisseur

Loc: #108768 in line...
Re: No pins? [Re: Psilocybin_monkey]
    #1764962 - 07/31/03 02:28 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

The information posted does not answer my question. Where do you get the information that mushrooms grow faster in darkness than with light?

--------------------
To give is to live...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePsilocybin_monkey
Shroomer

Loc: Dragon's Den
Re: No pins? [Re: ATWAR]
    #1764970 - 07/31/03 02:37 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I never said anything about they grow faster in the dark that I could find plz quote if you find it plz.

Quote:

As long as there is a window in the room, there will be sufficient light for your mushrooms to grow. In fact all your mushrooms really need is a few minutes of light a day to grow. All they need the light for is to know which way is up so they know which way to grow, but the amount of light given will not affect wether you get mushrooms or not.

The heigth of your mushrooms will also not be determined by the amount of light provided. Sometimes mushrooms will grow longer if they have less light.

--------------------
Welcome to my world!

OfflinePsilocybin_monkey
Shroomer

#1764975 - 07/31/03 02:41 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

show anything that a pro mycologist said that growing in 24/7 light is the same or better as dark plz

I showed you mine now show me yours (info that back up your statment)

--------------------
Welcome to my world!

InvisibleATWAR
Connoisseur

#1764980 - 07/31/03 02:47 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

I told you 24 hours each day every day is very bad see that mushrooms and mycelium do most of the growing in the dark.

Quote:

well I never tried to give 24hours light with casing but with cakes the less light the more and better they grew!

mushrooms doing most of the growing in the dark why the hell would somebody want to give them 24hours of light a day is beyond me????

--------------------
To give is to live...

InvisibleATWAR
Connoisseur

#1764982 - 07/31/03 02:51 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

I showed you mine now show me yours (info that back up your statment)

Which statement would that be?

--------------------
To give is to live...

OfflinePsilocybin_monkey
Shroomer

#1764984 - 07/31/03 02:51 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah they do most of the growing in the dark I didn't say they grow faster while in the dark there is a difference

they will grow more when giving dark(more growth) that dosn't mean they will grow faster at all I don't know where you came up with that sorry

--------------------
Welcome to my world!

OfflinePsilocybin_monkey
Shroomer

#1764986 - 07/31/03 02:53 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

all of them stating that too much light is bad like i said(did you read)

Quote:

A few hours of light per day is all that is needed, 10 hours is probably a overkill. ( the book Mushroom Cultivator states that 12-16 hours of light is recommended, but the experience shows that much less is sufficient).

--------------------
Welcome to my world!

Edited by Psilocybin_monkey (07/31/03 02:57 AM)

InvisibleATWAR
Connoisseur

#1764999 - 07/31/03 03:06 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Who is all of them, and where does it say that too much light is bad? It says overkill, not harmful. Overkill as in unnecessary. The only thing I have read about light being bad, is too much intensity will harm the mycelium. Nothing about too much exposure time having a negative impact.

Since you stated mushrooms do most of their growing in the dark, could you point me to this information? If they do most of their growing in the dark, then in the light they must grow less. Throw time into the mix and one would logically come to the conclusion that they would grow faster (as in more) without light. I fail to see any information that states this is true.

--------------------
To give is to live...

OfflinePsilocybin_monkey
Shroomer

#1765009 - 07/31/03 03:16 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

like I told you before "overkill" means not good so if too much light is not good then hmmm take a guess?

here's what webster dictionary has tho say what "overkill" is

Quote:

Main Entry: 1over?kill
Pronunciation: "O-v&r-'kil
Function: transitive verb
Date: 1957
: to obliterate (a target) with more nuclear force than required

now how the do you get "Overkill as in unnecessary" out of that?

I asked for you to prove to me that people advise to grow in 24/7 light I never read that 24/7 light is good and should be used at all and I know you didn't too because you would have prof of what you are saying

any ways this is enough of this topic unless you can prove to me that 24/7 light is as good if not better then growing in the dark

--------------------
Welcome to my world!

InvisibleATWAR
Connoisseur

#1765021 - 07/31/03 03:26 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

No where in my post did I ever advise anyone to grow in 24 hour light. I simply asked where you got this information that mushrooms do most of their growing during the dark period. Edit: Nor did I say that one extreme or the other is better. I simply asked you to provide a source for what you claim.

More force than required... Sounds unnecessary to me...

--------------------
To give is to live...

Edited by ATWAR (07/31/03 03:29 AM)

OfflinePsilocybin_monkey
Shroomer

#1765029 - 07/31/03 03:41 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

lysergic said:Yes, but other people told me that 24 hour light cycles worked great, in that same post.

yeah you are right that is what you said.

yeah thats my bad atwar sorry about that i'm getting very tired it was lysergic that said that and I though you were getting his back on it(saying 24/7 light is better).

I will say when i'm wrong and I was wrong about what you were saying/asking so i'm sorry dude :smile:

overkill is bad for example if I incubate some jars at 112f that would be overkill and that is bad as it would kill the mycelium.

any ways i'm off to bed it's 4:20am here

--------------------
Welcome to my world!

Edited by Psilocybin_monkey (07/31/03 04:03 AM)

Offlinewhole9
LOVE ME BITCH

#1765060 - 07/31/03 04:14 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

sleep is for the weak =D

InvisibleATWAR
Connoisseur

#1765077 - 07/31/03 04:55 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

No problem mate, It takes much more than that to ruffle my feathers (although this part almost got to me: don't take my word for it atwar take P.Stamets but I guess you know more then a pro mycologist). Still, I would like to say that 24 hours light is overkill, yes. But, I fail to see how it is bad unless the light intensity is enough to hurt the mycelium.

Taken from GGMM:
" For the species described in this book, moderate lighting has no effect, adverse or advantageous, on the mycelium during spawn run. Bright, unfiltered, direct sunlight is damaging. Light is especially harmful when intensities exceed 10,000 lux."

"Light controls stem elongation and cap development." "Specific photoperiods and spectral frequencies have not yet been established for all mushroom species. In these cases, cultivators resort to providing the lighting necessary to the most sensitive of the gourmet mushrooms, the Pleurotus species"

"The sensitivity of mushrooms to light is surprising to most who have heard that mushrooms like to grow in the dark. In fact, most of the gourmet and medicinal mushrooms require and favoribly react to light. The development of mushrooms is affected by light in two ways. Initially, primordia form when exposed to light. Even though thousands of primordia form in response to brief light exposure, these primordia will not develop into normal looking mushrooms unless light is sustained."

In all the species covered in this book, and every topic about primordia formation and mushroom development, there is no mention about light duration, only intensity. I come to the conclusion from my own observations and information I have gathered from books, that duration of light has no negative impact on fruit body formation unless it is too little to have an effect (or so bright to hurt the mycelium, but I have never witnessed this personally). Now, in keeping with my logical thinking process I would have to say that a 24 hour photoperiod can have its advantages:

1. Proper mushroom development will take place.
2. If formation of primordia has yet to happen, then the longer light period will expose the mycelium to the major signal it needs, and at the moment it needs it. Say for instance you have a cake that you are attempting to fruit. All parameters have been met (full colonization, proper air exchange, and humidity), and you set your timer for say, 4 hours light. This would be enough in this situation. But, lets say the cake just isnt ready yet. You put your timer on 4 hours, what happens if the cake enters the "mediary" stage before primordia develop, but your light is off? You may have to wait another 20 hours for that light to click on and give the other stimuli the mycelium needs to form primordia. In keeping with this train of thought, then it would be advantageous to have your light on for 24 hours while waiting for pins.

I do not follow this logic however, my lights are on when they are on, and off whenever. I do believe that P. Cubensis is an exception though. Stem elongation and cap deformation are not a problem IME when grown in complete darkness. I had a casing that I forgot about in my garage once. A long time went by before I remembered it, only to discover a tangled mass of mushrooms growing under the lid of the container I had cased it in. The mushrooms that grew from it were just like they were supposed to be, except growing every which way. It continued to produce flush after flush in complete darkness. Back when I first entered into cultivation, I used 24 hours of light. The mushrooms that grew then were no different (nor did they grow faster or slower) than the ones that had a much shorter and irregular photoperiod.

If you could please point me to a reference that supports your theory that mushrooms do most of their growing in the dark, I would greatly appreciate it. I have heard this before, but have never seen any concrete evidence to support this claim. I do however believe this does happen in nature. During the night, temperatures cool, humidity is usually higher, and there is no sun to dry out the mushrooms. These types of conditions would favor mushroom growth, as compared to the hot, dry daytime.

Perhaps I will try an experiment to see, although I think I already know the results. Plus, I am already pre-occupied with a spore printing experiment that has much more importance to me at this stage...

--------------------
To give is to live...

Edited by ATWAR (07/31/03 05:48 AM)

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract