Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineMarukai
Stranger

Is Apple headed for the grave with Palm?
    #17513881 - 01/07/13 07:41 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Based on the facts and the absolute let down of the Iphone 5. I really question where Apple is headed. There really isn't anything setting them apart from other PCs except the OS. Some have speculated that Apple will revert back to using PowerPC chips instead of Intel.. Thoughts?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleCosmicJokeM
happy mutant
 User Gallery

Loc: Portland, OR
Re: Is Apple headed for the grave with Palm? [Re: Marukai]
    #17514203 - 01/07/13 08:43 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

I dunno, this is what the Apple store looks like in Portland on a slow day....

--------------------
Everything is better than it was the last time.  I'm good.

If we could look into each others hearts, and understand the unique challenges each of us faces, I think we would treat each other much more gently, with more love, patience, tolerance, and care.

It takes a lot of courage to go out there and radiate your essence.

I know you scared, you should ask us if we scared too.  If you was there, and we just knew you cared too.

OfflineMarukai
Stranger

Re: Is Apple headed for the grave with Palm? [Re: CosmicJoke]
    #17514508 - 01/07/13 09:44 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

CosmicJoke said:

I dunno, this is what the Apple store looks like in Portland on a slow day....

That proves nothing... The Windows store at my mall is just like that. You see people but no one buying... The problem that I have with Apple is the Iphone 5.. They could have made it so much better that what it currently is. Dual core is outdated and the fact that they tried to do their own mapping program only to go back to Google Maps is just ludicrous. I just don't see how they can survive on a non open source platform. The OS is not compatible with a vast amount of programs and dual booting into Windows is not the same an actual PC.

Offlinei like cow poo
Nature Lover
Male User Gallery

Loc: Mother Nature's Vagina
    #17514540 - 01/07/13 09:50 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Nah they won't, idiotic people will still buy their shit even though its way overpriced. Alot of people got iphones for Christmas that I know.
Apple has a strangle hold on the sheep market. If you want a real experience for the money andriod and windows is where its at.

InvisibleCosmicJokeM
happy mutant
 User Gallery

#17514686 - 01/07/13 10:22 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Are you fucking kidding me?  The last time I checked, Apple was worth more than Microsoft and Google combined.  People are buying their stuff, and obviously they have different motivations as Apple has NEVER provided a perfect hardware configuration and they've always locked down their platform with anti features... Sure as shit hasn't stopped them from making money.  Clearly people value other things: aesthetics, design, ease of operation etc.

--------------------

If we could look into each others hearts, and understand the unique challenges each of us faces, I think we would treat each other much more gently, with more love, patience, tolerance, and care.

I know you scared, you should ask us if we scared too.  If you was there, and we just knew you cared too.

OfflineMarukai
Stranger

#17515257 - 01/08/13 12:40 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

CosmicJoke said:
Are you fucking kidding me?  The last time I checked, Apple was worth more than Microsoft and Google combined.  People are buying their stuff, and obviously they have different motivations as Apple has NEVER provided a perfect hardware configuration and they've always locked down their platform with anti features... Sure as shit hasn't stopped them from making money.  Clearly people value other things: aesthetics, design, ease of operation etc.

Money is really not everything... Sure it can help you ride out a storm, but in reality Apple just doesn't get it. None of their stuff is stunningly innovative. All of the innovative stuff is coming from Japan and Korea. Some of the Toshiba, Panasonic and Fujitsu phones put the Iphone  5 along with all other American phones to shame. The phones in Japan and Korea have biometrics built in so no need for lame passwords..

Google bought Motorola, so if Apple is seriously thinking to go from Intel to something else, I'm not sure who they'll turn to. We already can see their batteries suck, so I can just picture how horrible a processor made by Apple would be.

Edited by Marukai (01/08/13 12:45 AM)

Invisiblenooneman
Male

Loc: Utah
    #17515262 - 01/08/13 12:42 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Apple without Steve Jobs is worthless. It'll be a slow death, but they started dying the moment Steve Jobs died.

InvisibleCosmicJokeM
happy mutant
 User Gallery

#17516225 - 01/08/13 08:32 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

A lot of that has to do with the vastly superior infrastructure of the internet in Seoul & Tokyo.  For example, my buddies in Seoul were doing mobile video conferencing on their phones a good half a decade before the option was really even viable here in the USA simply because our data bandwith fucking sucks.

I'm not really sure what you're talking about in regards to the batteries sucking in Apple's electronics.  I don't really know of any miraculous advancements in battery technology - basically people either use bigger and bulkier batteries, which nobody really wants since they're after sleeker and more styling hardware, or they use more energy efficient hardware... That's where a lot of energy is now being focused, I know it's Intel's major focus for the upcoming years...  Aside from that, it's all software... Apple has had a fairly bad track record with OS bugs zapping the fuck out of battery life with syncing gone wild fuckfests.  They're hard problems to personally track down too, since there really is no great battery monitoring software included with iOS (Android is much better in such regards) - it would be nice thing to know when the Mail app is strangely pining away 90% of one's battery life :lol:

Anyways, I think apple has a good bit going for them... When has a 15" laptop used a 2880x1800 IPS screen or a 13" use a 2560x1440p screen?  When has a laptop been able to daisy chain multiple 2560x1440p external displays alongside pci-e apparatus (Thunderbolt technology)?  You can have 4 discrete video inputs simultaneously on the latest 15" macbook pro, that's 3 external monitors and the internal screen all at once on a 4.5lb laptop.  I'm not really sure if I've ever seen a laptop qualify more as a desktop replacement :shrug:

--------------------

OfflineMarukai
Stranger

#17516554 - 01/08/13 10:19 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

CosmicJoke said:
A lot of that has to do with the vastly superior infrastructure of the internet in Seoul & Tokyo.  For example, my buddies in Seoul were doing mobile video conferencing on their phones a good half a decade before the option was really even viable here in the USA simply because our data bandwith fucking sucks.

I'm not really sure what you're talking about in regards to the batteries sucking in Apple's electronics.  I don't really know of any miraculous advancements in battery technology - basically people either use bigger and bulkier batteries, which nobody really wants since they're after sleeker and more styling hardware, or they use more energy efficient hardware... That's where a lot of energy is now being focused, I know it's Intel's major focus for the upcoming years...  Aside from that, it's all software... Apple has had a fairly bad track record with OS bugs zapping the fuck out of battery life with syncing gone wild fuckfests.  They're hard problems to personally track down too, since there really is no great battery monitoring software included with iOS (Android is much better in such regards) - it would be nice thing to know when the Mail app is strangely pining away 90% of one's battery life :lol:

Anyways, I think apple has a good bit going for them... When has a 15" laptop used a 2880x1800 IPS screen or a 13" use a 2560x1440p screen?  When has a laptop been able to daisy chain multiple 2560x1440p external displays alongside pci-e apparatus (Thunderbolt technology)?  You can have 4 discrete video inputs simultaneously on the latest 15" macbook pro, that's 3 external monitors and the internal screen all at once on a 4.5lb laptop.  I'm not really sure if I've ever seen a laptop qualify more as a desktop replacement :shrug:

Voltage degradation has been far more prevalent in Apples products VS Sony or Panasonic. If you really want the best battery, it'll be from Sony or Panasonic/Sanyo. Sony builds a vast amount of batteries for Fujitsu products and Toshiba products just to name a few. Panasonic is the primary supplier for the batteries used in Toyota's Hybrids. Honda was formerly using Sanyo, but Sanyo was acquired by Panasonic, so Honda is now using GS Yuasa for batteries. Batteries are nothing more than chemical reactions.. It's not about how bulky or big the battery is. It's about the energy density and the time frame in which they degrade. All batteries degrade over time. This is why scientists are really questioning if the Electro/Chemical battery is still a viable means to store power.

InvisibleCosmicJokeM
happy mutant
 User Gallery

#17516819 - 01/08/13 11:19 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

If you say so, I'm almost always off the brick on my Macbook Pro... Its battery health is at 98% with 700 cycles and it current capacity is 6728mAh (its design capacity was 6900mAh)  It's gotten an awful lot of use and is holding up fairly well if you ask me :shrug:  The battery manufacturer is SMP... I'm sure there are better battery manufacturers out there, but I wouldn't call it a bad battery....

--------------------

Invisiblebadchad
Mad Scientist

#17518501 - 01/08/13 05:27 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Since the beginning of the iphone, people bitched and complained about it.  It doesn't copy and paste, its not 3g, its not 4g, the antenna sucks. 

Five years later, Apple is one (if not the most) valuable companies in the world.  How did they get to be so big, when all along, people have dogged their products?  Its a testament to how popular their products are and brilliant marketing.  While its a tough metric to capture, I dare say Apple consumers are the most loyal of any brand.  After moving from Android to ios, I doubt I'll switch back, and I doubt the average consumer will either.

--------------------
...the whole experience is (and is as) a profound piece of knowledge.  It is an indellible experience; it is forever known.  I have known myself in a way I doubt I would have ever occurred except as it did.

Smith, P.  Bull. Menninger Clinic (1959) 23:20-27; p. 27.

...most subjects find the experience valuable, some find it frightening, and many say that is it uniquely lovely.

Osmond, H.  Annals, NY Acad Science (1957) 66:418-434; p.436

OfflineMarukai
Stranger

Re: Is Apple headed for the grave with Palm? [Re: badchad]
    #17519732 - 01/08/13 09:31 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

badchad said:
Since the beginning of the iphone, people bitched and complained about it.  It doesn't copy and paste, its not 3g, its not 4g, the antenna sucks. 

Five years later, Apple is one (if not the most) valuable companies in the world.  How did they get to be so big, when all along, people have dogged their products?  Its a testament to how popular their products are and brilliant marketing.  While its a tough metric to capture, I dare say Apple consumers are the most loyal of any brand.  After moving from Android to ios, I doubt I'll switch back, and I doubt the average consumer will either.

Apple is really for the non tech savvy person. I have my Note 2 rooted with a custom ROM and over clocked to 1.8Ghz. Apple is not open source, so you don't have the ability to run custom ROMS and under clock for battery life or over clock for super fast response and super fast web surfing. I only see Apple surviving because of uneducated non tech savvy people. CES 2013 unveiled some rather crazy technologies that puts into perspective how Apple will remain innovative. Most of these companies are Asian. Samsung, Huawei, LG, HTC just to name a few.. The Asian countries really have the upper hand when it comes to electronics... Look at all of the video gaming systems that came out. The only one that is not Japanese is the Xbox

Invisiblebadchad
Mad Scientist

#17520643 - 01/09/13 04:20 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Apple may be for the "non-tech savvy" person, but that's the entire point.

Here is what I need from a phone:

talk, text, GPS, internet, music, email, camera, and apps (standard social networking apps, an app for parking, food reservations, flashlight, etc.) and maybe a game or two.  And I need it to fit in my pocket because I take it with me everywhere.

Why do I need a quad-core, billion Ghz, over-clocked, custom ROM with a 5.0"+ screen to do any of that?

I think the consumer segment that actually cares about hardware specs is relatively small.  Ask your girlfriend whether the processor on her phone is dual core, quad core, etc.  Ask her about the RAM, whether its over-clocked and what she thinks about the latest SDK or whatever.  She'll probably give a puzzled "wtf"? look.

I moved away from Android, because I didn't want to search for the latest ROM, to flash it here and there, to try and work out the bugs.  It was fun, but I just don't have the time anymore.  I needed a phone that "just works", and right out of the box.  Perhaps I'm just non-tech savvy.

--------------------
...the whole experience is (and is as) a profound piece of knowledge.  It is an indellible experience; it is forever known.  I have known myself in a way I doubt I would have ever occurred except as it did.

Smith, P.  Bull. Menninger Clinic (1959) 23:20-27; p. 27.

...most subjects find the experience valuable, some find it frightening, and many say that is it uniquely lovely.

Osmond, H.  Annals, NY Acad Science (1957) 66:418-434; p.436

Invisiblekoraks
Re: Is Apple headed for the grave with Palm? [Re: nooneman]
    #17520731 - 01/09/13 05:13 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Marukai said:
I only see Apple surviving because of uneducated non tech savvy people.

Fortunately for Apple, this constitutes 99% of the population.

Quote:

Marukai said:
There really isn't anything setting them apart from other PCs except the OS.

Apple's vision is based on human-centered, integrated products that unlock the functionality of the hardware through a user-friendly software experience. The custom OS is just one piece of that innovation strategy. I think you're missing the essence.

Quote:

Some have speculated that Apple will revert back to using PowerPC chips instead of Intel.. Thoughts?

I doubt that IBM chips would offer much value for the customer in comparison to Intel processors. I don't think it's likely that Apple would choose this route for its desktops and laptops. Of course, the tablet market is much less (not at all) dominated by Intel.

Quote:

nooneman said:
Apple without Steve Jobs is worthless. It'll be a slow death, but they started dying the moment Steve Jobs died.

This might be a fundamental problem for Apple. A company like Apple, in order to remain innovative, leading and highly profitable (as a consequence) needs visionary people, and visionary leader(s) that communicate their vision to the outside world and convince business partners, customers and the general public. It's unclear if Apple currently has that important asset.

InvisibleCosmicJokeM
happy mutant
 User Gallery

#17520905 - 01/09/13 06:45 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Marukai said:
Quote:

badchad said:

Apple is really for the non tech savvy person. I have my Note 2 rooted with a custom ROM and over clocked to 1.8Ghz. Apple is not open source, so you don't have the ability to run custom ROMS and under clock for battery life or over clock for super fast response and super fast web surfing. I only see Apple surviving because of uneducated non tech savvy people. CES 2013 unveiled some rather crazy technologies that puts into perspective how Apple will remain innovative. Most of these companies are Asian. Samsung, Huawei, LG, HTC just to name a few.. The Asian countries really have the upper hand when it comes to electronics... Look at all of the video gaming systems that came out. The only one that is not Japanese is the Xbox

I did the exact same thing with my HTC Incredible, ran CM 7 at the time w/ a custom kernel and tweaked it heavily for increased battery time.  I don't really think that you have to be a "tech savvy" person to do any of this, the instructions were all there and it was all easily mapped out on XDA Forums - basically you just had to have too much time to fuck with your phone, which aren't even that interesting in the first place... The tech savvy are the motherfuckers who are making millions of dollars off of some shitty Doodle Jump game they coded in 3 days.  That's savvy imo.

--------------------

OfflineMarukai
Stranger

#17521447 - 01/09/13 09:47 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

CosmicJoke said:
Quote:

Marukai said:
Quote:

badchad said:

I did the exact same thing with my HTC Incredible, ran CM 7 at the time w/ a custom kernel and tweaked it heavily for increased battery time.  I don't really think that you have to be a "tech savvy" person to do any of this, the instructions were all there and it was all easily mapped out on XDA Forums - basically you just had to have too much time to fuck with your phone, which aren't even that interesting in the first place... The tech savvy are the motherfuckers who are making millions of dollars off of some shitty Doodle Jump game they coded in 3 days.  That's savvy imo.

Well let's look at the general population.... Most are clueless about ROMS, rooting, over/under clocking, so yes it is a tech savvy aspect that has to reviewed carefully because you can brick your phone, which leaves it as nothing more than an expensive paper weight. Writing ROMs makes it even more tech savvy, but I personally don't create ROMs.

InvisibleCosmicJokeM
happy mutant
 User Gallery

#17521545 - 01/09/13 10:08 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

To me it's all ridiculous, nobody should feel compelled to fuck with the native power management of their operating system... The speedstepping should be fine as it is... The default idle p-state frequency should be perfectly sufficient, more so than ever today, unless you're using shitty hardware :shrug:

--------------------

Offlinei like cow poo
Nature Lover
Male User Gallery

#17521816 - 01/09/13 11:18 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Let me start by saying im not an iphone expert by any means.
I think itunes sucks, the iphone is overpriced when compared to other competitors, and lacks the amount of features andriod phones have to offer. If someone like me can use an andriod, anyone can.

InvisibleCosmicJokeM
happy mutant
 User Gallery

Re: Is Apple headed for the grave with Palm? [Re: i like cow poo]
    #17521887 - 01/09/13 11:39 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Ehhh, I don't think other phones with comparable feature sets are cheaper from other manufacturers.  They're all roughly $650-750 unlocked for the current model... Maybe you found some good subsidized deal, but that only means you paid less because you signed up for a contract.  You may like an android's feature set more, but each phone has a handful of features the others lack :shrug: It's all fairly subjective as to which you prefer.

Also, you may dislike iTunes (I know I do), but that doesn't really matter as it's wildly successful and certainly is not indicative at the moment of Apple's immanent expiration.

--------------------

Offlinei like cow poo
Nature Lover
Male User Gallery

#17522890 - 01/09/13 03:05 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

I got a samsung galaxy s2 for $200 off ebay. I thought it was a pretty good deal. my phone bill is $15 with ting which is an awesome fucking cellphone company if you ask me.:smile:

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale