Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Kraken Kratom Shop: Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisible404
error
 User Gallery

Steam Box (console) confirmed by Valve Engineer
    #17510476 - 01/07/13 02:38 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

http://www.gamechup.com/steam-box-confirmed-by-valve-engineer-for-2013-will-be-linux-based-report/

Quote:

It looks like the Steambox that has been widely reported by many sites is in fact a real thing.

This time we have an official confirmation by a Valve engineer, Ben Krasnow, who talked about a Linux-based Valve console scheduled for 2013. German site Golem.de attended a special event, and it seems a bunch of other products are planned by Valve as well.

“The Hardware Lab also has a few secret projects that will be published in 2013. We have a good group of electronic and mechanical engineers, and we look forward to “build some cool stuff.” Krasnov said. (Rough German translation)

It is being said that this console will be announced by them sometime this year, but there’s no specific timing given for it. It’s not clear whether they will hold a separate conference or announce it at E3.

The console will run Linux, and based on the recent comments by Gabe Newell on how Windows 8 is something of a “catastrophe” and they don’t want to be dependent on it, this is not surprising at all. Valve engineer Krasnow has been working on the hardware with Jeri Ellsworth since 2011, the German site reports.

The Game Developers Conference will be held between March 25-29 this year. That is one of the best events to announce the console as well.

This seems pretty exciting! it would be so nice to have a fourth contender in the console market, and better yet, one that will even run linux.

I do wonder what kinds of games they will be running, and what new technologies they will be bringing to the table.

Would any of you shroomerites be interested in this as well? I contend that a true gamer, games across all platforms, and this would be a fantastic edition to anyone's collection.

Wonder how well it would actually hold up in the market though?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleFruitOfLife
Professional Package Handler

Re: Steam Box (console) confirmed by Valve Engineer [Re: 404]
    #17513272 - 01/07/13 05:44 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

:shocked: Counter strike  :justcantwait:

--------------------

InvisibleCosmicJokeM
happy mutant
 User Gallery

Loc: Portland, OR
    #17513389 - 01/07/13 06:11 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

You see the Nvidia Shield was announced at CES?  Has been a pretty wild day in gaming...

--------------------
Everything is better than it was the last time.  I'm good.

If we could look into each others hearts, and understand the unique challenges each of us faces, I think we would treat each other much more gently, with more love, patience, tolerance, and care.

It takes a lot of courage to go out there and radiate your essence.

I know you scared, you should ask us if we scared too.  If you was there, and we just knew you cared too.

Invisible404
error
 User Gallery

Re: Steam Box (console) confirmed by Valve Engineer [Re: CosmicJoke]
    #17513581 - 01/07/13 06:47 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

No i hadn't heard, it looks really cool though. it would be nice to finally have a hand held that feels like a console controller

InvisibleCosmicJokeM
happy mutant
 User Gallery

#17513659 - 01/07/13 07:02 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

StateOfMind404 said:
No i hadn't heard, it looks really cool though. it would be nice to finally have a hand held that feels like a console controller

Is just weird lol, can play android games or stream games from your pc....

http://shield.nvidia.com/play-pc-games

just what i need, being able to play skyrim in bed :P

--------------------

If we could look into each others hearts, and understand the unique challenges each of us faces, I think we would treat each other much more gently, with more love, patience, tolerance, and care.

I know you scared, you should ask us if we scared too.  If you was there, and we just knew you cared too.

OfflineMasticore
Perpetually Curious
Male User Gallery

#17513671 - 01/07/13 07:04 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

I got sick of controllers, so I stick to PC games, but the concept is interesting. If the games you have on steam can be loaded to the console (which the name implies you can), like you can load onto multiple PCs, I'd be tempted to get one just so I could play my games with my friends who don't like PC.

That nvidia device seems like a really cool concept, but more of a niche thing. I can imagine that coming with a hefty price tag.

--------------------
Treat my posts like the Bible. I am fallible, subject to human limitation, and usually open to interpretation.

InvisibleCosmicJokeM
happy mutant
 User Gallery

Re: Steam Box (console) confirmed by Valve Engineer [Re: Masticore]
    #17514444 - 01/07/13 09:32 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Masticore said:
I got sick of controllers, so I stick to PC games, but the concept is interesting. If the games you have on steam can be loaded to the console (which the name implies you can), like you can load onto multiple PCs, I'd be tempted to get one just so I could play my games with my friends who don't like PC.

That nvidia device seems like a really cool concept, but more of a niche thing. I can imagine that coming with a hefty price tag.

Wait, what?  Basically your computer is doing the heavy lifting running the video game and then it's just streaming the video and audio to the tablet/controller.  It's basically doing the same thing apple does with airplay mirroring or even better yet the Wii U, in the way that you can stop using the Wii U with your television and resume playing on the tablet/controller deal. 

You might be able to dual box the game, which is running two instances of the game on one pc...  one to be streamed to the nvidia shield and another to play for yourself, but that's going to be very taxing on your computer and probably kick the shit out of the FPS on any reasonably demanding game... I used to dual box all the time when I played WoW though, it wasn't a very demanding game :shrug:

--------------------

OfflineWannaBeLegit
Stranger

#17514653 - 01/07/13 10:14 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Its says streaming over wifi.  Curious if that means on the same wifi network or say...be at work and connect to your computer at home and stream your game.

InvisibleCosmicJokeM
happy mutant
 User Gallery

Re: Steam Box (console) confirmed by Valve Engineer [Re: WannaBeLegit]
    #17514738 - 01/07/13 10:32 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Same network, and you're really going to want to have a good dual band wireless n router too....  The problem is you likely wouldn't even begin to have the kind of upload bandwith to stream your game over the internet.  I'm guessing you'd need like 100mbps up :shrug:

--------------------

OfflineMasticore
Perpetually Curious
Male User Gallery

#17514796 - 01/07/13 10:49 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

CosmicJoke said:
Quote:

Masticore said:

Wait, what?  Basically your computer is doing the heavy lifting running the video game and then it's just streaming the video and audio to the tablet/controller.  It's basically doing the same thing apple does with airplay mirroring or even better yet the Wii U, in the way that you can stop using the Wii U with your television and resume playing on the tablet/controller deal. 

You might be able to dual box the game, which is running two instances of the game on one pc...  one to be streamed to the nvidia shield and another to play for yourself, but that's going to be very taxing on your computer and probably kick the shit out of the FPS on any reasonably demanding game... I used to dual box all the time when I played WoW though, it wasn't a very demanding game :shrug:

Well my first paragraph was about the steam box, which I got the impression was a standalone thing. The second part about the nvidia Shield was unrelated and kind of an afterthought. I was saying I wonder if since I own say CS:GO on Steam, I could get it on the Steam Box without paying anything extra. Hopefully that makes more sense.

The way the Wii U worked when I was playing on it (I believe the game is called zombie u) was quite different than taking over for the console, it was an added screen that did different stuff. I'm still not sold on that particular concept yet. I kept forgetting to do stuff with it. lol

--------------------
Treat my posts like the Bible. I am fallible, subject to human limitation, and usually open to interpretation.

InvisibleCosmicJokeM
happy mutant
 User Gallery

Re: Steam Box (console) confirmed by Valve Engineer [Re: Masticore]
    #17514826 - 01/07/13 10:56 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Oh, I got ya, the Nvidia deal seemed to have Steam integration so it threw me off.  Umm, I certainly would hope so.  I know as a fact that all Steam purchases are multi platform as it currently stands.  So say I buy The Witcher 2, which has both mac and pc clients, I can log in on my Windows gaming rig and download and play the game - but I can also log in on my macbook pro in OS X and download and play the game on it without repurchasing it.  Would hope the same would hold true for their console.

--------------------

Invisiblenooneman
Male

Loc: Utah
    #17514843 - 01/07/13 11:00 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

I am buying this the day it comes out.
:awebig:

OfflineVisionary Tools
Male User Gallery

Re: Steam Box (console) confirmed by Valve Engineer [Re: nooneman]
    #17516542 - 01/08/13 10:16 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

=that nvidia shield is a bit like the idea I had for game manufacturers to put up android apps for inventory management.

I play planetside 2 and I would LOVE a map android app, especially if I could login with my username so I could see where I was and where the squad/platoon/personal markers are in relation to the roads.

--------------------

InvisibleCosmicJokeM
happy mutant
 User Gallery

Re: Steam Box (console) confirmed by Valve Engineer [Re: Visionary Tools]
    #17516899 - 01/08/13 11:35 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Yup, except it wasn't really your idea...  Tablets/phones have already been being used as gaming peripherals...

--------------------

OfflineVisionary Tools
Male User Gallery

#17518172 - 01/08/13 04:31 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

sweet. Hundred Monkies strikes again.

--------------------

Invisibletdubz
Male User Gallery

Re: Steam Box (console) confirmed by Valve Engineer [Re: Visionary Tools]
    #17530534 - 01/10/13 10:35 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

There gonna need some luck and some good games to have some success just look at how hard it was for Microsoft to break into the market and that's cause they had billions to spend. Even Nintendo is fading away in the main console market not the portable market of course though. Wish them all the best valve is an awesome company filled with great people.

Offlineblujay
pass it b*ch!
Male User Gallery

#17559199 - 01/16/13 08:26 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

StateOfMind404 said:
http://www.gamechup.com/steam-box-confirmed-by-valve-engineer-for-2013-will-be-linux-based-report/

Quote:

It looks like the Steambox that has been widely reported by many sites is in fact a real thing.

This time we have an official confirmation by a Valve engineer, Ben Krasnow, who talked about a Linux-based Valve console scheduled for 2013. German site Golem.de attended a special event, and it seems a bunch of other products are planned by Valve as well.

“The Hardware Lab also has a few secret projects that will be published in 2013. We have a good group of electronic and mechanical engineers, and we look forward to “build some cool stuff.” Krasnov said. (Rough German translation)

It is being said that this console will be announced by them sometime this year, but there’s no specific timing given for it. It’s not clear whether they will hold a separate conference or announce it at E3.

The console will run Linux, and based on the recent comments by Gabe Newell on how Windows 8 is something of a “catastrophe” and they don’t want to be dependent on it, this is not surprising at all. Valve engineer Krasnow has been working on the hardware with Jeri Ellsworth since 2011, the German site reports.

The Game Developers Conference will be held between March 25-29 this year. That is one of the best events to announce the console as well.

This seems pretty exciting! it would be so nice to have a fourth contender in the console market, and better yet, one that will even run linux.

I do wonder what kinds of games they will be running, and what new technologies they will be bringing to the table.

Would any of you shroomerites be interested in this as well? I contend that a true gamer, games across all platforms, and this would be a fantastic edition to anyone's collection.

Wonder how well it would actually hold up in the market though?

I don't really think calling it a console is fair. It's an OEM computer for gaming by Valve. A "console" carries the negative connotation that you are restricted in what software you can run on it by a proprietary operating system.

It runs Linux because that's how you sell OEM computers while flipping Microsoft the bird. Most of them will end up with Win7. Also because that's a thing they've been specifically working towards. I had a vague idea this might be happening the moment they announced Steam support for Linux. I thought "why? Linux users don't pay for software! Why cater when you're the largest game distribution, publishing, and development company out there already?" Aside from because you can and should- because it's good for business if you want to sell hardware and don't want to write your own OS from the ground up.

--------------------

wat man rly

Offlineblujay
pass it b*ch!
Male User Gallery

Re: Steam Box (console) confirmed by Valve Engineer [Re: tdubz]
    #17559215 - 01/16/13 08:29 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

tdubz said:
There gonna need some luck and some good games to have some success just look at how hard it was for Microsoft to break into the market and that's cause they had billions to spend. Even Nintendo is fading away in the main console market not the portable market of course though. Wish them all the best valve is an awesome company filled with great people.

No, they just need let more money print out. I don't think you grasp the level of financial success Valve has achieved.

I mean look at big picture mode for Steam. It blows anything like it out of the water totally in terms of feature richness/functionality/not being a big billboard.

--------------------

wat man rly

Edited by blujay (01/16/13 08:35 PM)

Invisibletdubz
Male User Gallery

Re: Steam Box (console) confirmed by Valve Engineer [Re: blujay]
    #17561177 - 01/17/13 07:32 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

It pretty much compares to  xbox live and stuff I would say its better but that's just cause I'm biased towards pc. Also I guess i read wrong as its not really a independent new console

OfflineMadtowntripper
Sun-Beams out of Cucumbers
 User Gallery

Loc: The Ocean of Notions
Re: Steam Box (console) confirmed by Valve Engineer [Re: tdubz]
    #17564210 - 01/17/13 07:23 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Pretty tiny.

What can they possibly fit in there?

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Kraken Kratom Shop: Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom