Home | Community | Message Board

Azarius
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: pH Test Strips, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisible2Experimental
Male User Gallery
Casing idea
    #1750564 - 07/26/03 01:33 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

In a letter from my friend:

"I read a while back about doing a lime/bleach bath to pasturize straw. I have some colonized cakes and plan to case them, and was wondering if I could do a lime bath on some straight verm, and then case with it. I figure with the low PH the myc will rip through the casing layer(verm) pretty fast, and as an added bonus it would be contam resistant(because of PH), and from what Ive read, easier to fruit(because of PH also), but thats all a guess. So like, Im sure just doing normal vermiculite, or like 50/50+ tek would work just fine without the lime bath, but I am looking for something to make casings even more idiot proof then they already are. Since its my first time casing, I would like to stick to 100% verm until I get it down"

Please help my friend mr. rabbit

THANKS!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisible2Experimental
Male User Gallery
Re: Casing idea [Re: 2Experimental]
    #1751263 - 07/26/03 08:01 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Any imput? If this isent advanced feel free too move it to basic.

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Casing idea [Re: 2Experimental]
    #1751322 - 07/26/03 08:24 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

You'll ruin your casing. No offense, but this is the exact reason that you should follow other peoples teks until you really know whats going on enough to start inventing your own stuff.

First of all, lime has a high pH, not a low one.

2nd, yes casings should be slightly basic, maximum of something like 7.4. A lime bath on straight vermiculite would yield a vermiculite with a pH closer to 12, far too high. Mycelium won't colonize it.

Straw treated via lime bath usually ends up with a pH closer to 8, which lowers gradually as the mycelium grows.

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

InvisibleATWAR
Connoisseur

Loc: #108768 in line...
Re: Casing idea [Re: mycofile]
    #1752459 - 07/27/03 06:39 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I would think that the end PH of your verm would be dependent on the concentration of lime in the water you apply to the verm. Same with straw, dump a whole bag of hydrated lime in the water with the straw, and you would most likely end up with a PH higher than 8.

You could use a little lime in the water to saturate the vermiculite, but it really is not necessary. Vermiculite is non nutritious anyway, so you don't need to worry too much about it contaminating.

--------------------
To give is to live...

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Casing idea [Re: ATWAR]
    #1770245 - 08/01/03 06:07 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Atwar, I don't think so. The protocol of the lime bath is to raise the pH of water with lime, usually to around 12 or so. The material being pasteurized is soaked in this caustic solution for a period of time, then drained.

Due to the structure of straw, once drained it's pH is only slightly basic, this wouldn't be the case with verm.

I assure you that if you soak verm in such a basic solution that your verm will be useless as it's pH will be far too high.

If you used less lime to begin with, as you seem to suggest, then you aren't acheiving the goal of pasturizing via high pH in the first place. The lime bath method only works because the extreme pH in the soak water kills harmful microbes.

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: pH Test Strips, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology