Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineTattooedSoul
Betal Nut Extract.
    #1749241 - 07/25/03 06:53 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

I have been doing some research on betal nut extract. I have read many many posts that have illuminated the virtues of such extracts but I have yet to find one that explains a simple (and cheap) method of extraction and no one will point to a source...?

I also have read some posts saying that the extract is far to toxic for use...?

Anybody here that can point me in the right direction or clear up my confusion regarding Betel?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineneuro
Phytophiliac
 User Gallery

Loc: Rigel 7
Re: Betal Nut Extract. [Re: TattooedSoul]
    #1749505 - 07/25/03 09:04 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

What do you mean by Betel nut? Betel Nut is a very confused term. The nut that is referred to is not Betel and Betel produces no nut. Betel nut is actually a mixture of Areca Catechu (a palm tree like tree) nuts and Piper Betel (a vine) leaves.

So yeah.... I've made extract of Piper Betel but not Areca Catechu.

Offlinejimcon202000

Re: Betal Nut Extract. [Re: neuro]
    #1749771 - 07/25/03 11:13 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

i dont know anything about it at all but i too have seen "betal nuts" for sale ?? so what is it ?

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
Re: Betal Nut Extract. [Re: jimcon202000]
    #1749819 - 07/25/03 11:33 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

What is in Piper Betel?

--------------------
This space for rent

InvisiblePapaverS
Madmin Emeritus?

Loc: Radio Free Tibet!
Re: Betal Nut Extract. [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #1749827 - 07/25/03 11:39 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

I believe the active ingredient of Areca Catechu is arecoline, if I remember correctly. It is a cholinergic compound, and has shown some promise not only as a relatively safe and gentle stimulant, but also in improving memory and thought, and reversing effects of diseases like altzheimers. I have actually been interested in obtaining some arecoline...

The "betal nut" chew is actually the most widely used stimulant in the world. It is in more use than coffee...

--------------------

Invisiblezeta
Stranger

Re: Betal Nut Extract. [Re: Papaver]
    #1749867 - 07/25/03 11:54 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

So according to papaver, Areca Catechu contains arecoline.
But what does Piper betel contain??

InvisiblePapaverS
Madmin Emeritus?

Re: Betal Nut Extract. [Re: zeta]
    #1749881 - 07/26/03 12:02 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

I may be wrong here, as I haven't really looked into this in over a year, but I think the betal leaf is just a convenient way to hold crushed nut together, and it may provide some extra flavoring, and also some sort of chemical assistance to make the arecoline more bioavailable...

I really don't know though, as that's from a very fuzzy memory -- hence my interest in arecoline... :wink:

--------------------

InvisiblePapaverS
Madmin Emeritus?

Re: Betal Nut Extract. [Re: zeta]
    #1749907 - 07/26/03 12:12 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Here, I used yahoo, and found this, which seem I remember thinking was credible from my earlier research on the subject...

Quote:

Regarding betel terminology: it is misleading to say that betel is "chewed;" more properly, it is sucked. Like chewing tobacco, betel is inserted "between the cheek and gum" and left there to soak, sometimes for hours. Furthermore, the generic term "betel nut" is technically a misnomer. What betel chewers put in their mouths is primarily areca nut, sometimes wrapped in betel leaf, with mineral lime usually added as a catalyst. These three ingredients are often supplemented by additions of spices, candy, or tobacco, but don't be deceived by cosmetics: it's the nut-leaf-lime mixture that delivers the magic.

Areca nut is the seed of the tall, slender areca palm (areca catechu), native to the fringes of the Indian and west Pacific Oceans. With its husk off, the nut is a little smaller than a walnut. It is solid throughout, has a marbleized grain, and is as hard as a knot in a pine board. Its active principle is the alkaloid arecoline. In pharmacological terms, arecoline stimulates the parasympathetic nervous system, resulting in a contraction of the pupils and an increased secretion of tears and saliva. (The latter is especially encouraged by areca, as is evident from this description of an early 20th-century experiment in which a horse was injected with pure arecoline: "...the saliva gushes forth from the animal's mouth in a solid stream." [Erich Hesse, Narcotics and Drug Addiction])

The areca's sister in crime, betel leaf, comes from a tree-climbing vine (piper betle) of the pepper family. The shiny green leaf is heart-shaped, and about the size of the palm of your hand. Its essential oil contains a phenol (betel-phenol) similar to the aromatic eugenol found in the oil of cloves. Betel-phenol probably contributes stimulant properties of its own, but scant information is available on its pharmacology.

Like the coca-chewers of the Andes, betel users somehow discovered that the addition of lime helps to extract the vital essence of the plants into the saliva (and from there, of course, through the mucous membranes of the mouth and straight into the bloodstream). The catalytic lime is either powder (calcium oxide) or paste (calcium hydroxide). In either case, it is typically made from kiln-baked seashells.

There are also many, many, interesting studies on the pharmacology of arecoline in the assistance of various degenerative mental disorders...

--------------------

OfflineTattooedSoul
    #1750341 - 07/26/03 08:18 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Ok, I guess my newness is showing here.
One of the reports I've read is found here, http://www.erowid.org/experiences/exp.php?ID=3780.

Quote:

"I'm writing this in the midst of my first ever betel experience. Today I went to pick up a package from my friend's house containing, amongst other things, 25mL of a 5X betel nut extract, ordered from an online supplier. I was waiting to catch the bus home when impatience overcame me, and I dropped 0.5mL of the liquid (equivalent to 2.5g of nuts, by my calculation) under my tongue."

There were two others I will post as I find them again.

Edited by TattooedSoul (07/26/03 08:22 AM)

Offlineneuro
Phytophiliac
 User Gallery

Loc: Rigel 7
    #1750371 - 07/26/03 08:59 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Dr Duke's Phytochemical database will provide chemical listings of both plants. I'm in a hurry and can't get a link right now.

OfflineFina
Banana Spacegirl

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Re: Betal Nut Extract. [Re: TattooedSoul]
    #1763739 - 07/30/03 06:21 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

I've purchased an extract similar to the one used in that report.
It produces a mild/moderate rush similar to nicotine, then maybe mild stimulation and a slight warm sort of feeling for another hour or two.
Arecoline is apparently very toxic in fairly small doses. It's used to kill tapeworm. As little as 8g of betel nuts could be fatal. Most people who use betel nut regularly probably have huge tolerances, but like just about everything else, arecoline is linked to certain forms of cancer.

--------------------
"On the last day of your life,
Don't forget to die." -- Silver Jews

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate