Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!
I am using brf/vermiculite for substrate.I have two jars wich developed a small wet spot(about 1/2x1 in.) wich looked light grey. I considered it to be contamination but the mycelium grew around it and now it is gone.Are these safe to fruit? I also have 1 or 2 with cobweb mold I think, do I have to throw these out? Is there any use for my other contaminated jars? Can I reuse jars that had contaminations?
The ones with cobweb can be treated with a h2o2:h2o solution dunk. Scrape the cobweb and put the cakes inside the solution, you can use a tupperware or something, the ratio is 10 portions of water to 1 portion of perioxide. The one with the wet spot, open the cake in half when you birth it to check if the contamination has grown on the inside.
1 One of my jars i am pretty sure has cobweb because the infected section is distinct from the mycelium and there is an obvious boundary between them. Two others im not sure about, they were growing what mostly looked like normal mycelium but the substrate underneath turned orange. But what is different with these two is that there is no obvious boundary between the myceliun an what I think is an infection of cobweb.It is hard to tell besides the light orange color.What should I do? Is cobweb mold dangerous to ones heath?
2 Another jar has green mold growing on a few pieces of dry vermiculite on top. Can I just scrape this off and fruit it?
3 I also have some jars contaminated with black and green molds. Can I safely bury them to fruit or do I have to throw them away? Does burying a cake automatically kill infections?
4 What about the dangers of fruiting infected cakes? I haven't found any info on this. What is the worst that could happen to someone who consumes a mushroom grown on an infected cake?
1 - Cobweb mold is not dangerous to humans, only if you are unlucky to be allergic to that stuff.
2 - Yes you can but separate that jar from good jars.
3 - If the cake is heavily contaminated then just trash it. Burying a cake will not kill automatically the contamination but this time things are in much favor to mycelium, so probabilities to achieve a good recovery are better.
4 - It depends on the contaminant and/or the reaction of the body to it.