Home | Community | Message Board

Magic Mushrooms Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinehookahhead
Planeteer
Male

Loc: The Middle of Penns Woods
96 gallon worm tote * 3
    #17494473 - 01/03/13 10:19 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

I have been worm composting a little over a year now, and made a previous post about my worm farm here.

However after doing further reading I am lead to believe that a flow through design worm bin provides a few benefits over the bin method.  I received a free 96 gallon tote to turn into a worm bin.  The rods going across the bottom are pvc and have deck screws drilled into them.  The idea is to be able to turn the rods and spin the castings into the bottom of the bin where they should be easy to collect.  I have a hinged cover with landscaping cloth covering it to allow airflow.  I plan to add magnets to keep the cover shut tightly.  The worms will travel to the top of the bin after a few months and the bottom will be nothing but finished castings.  This design is said to allow better airflow to help avoid the sogginess that is common with the plastic bins.

I harvested all three bins this week using the method described in my previous post.  I yielded about 15 gallon of worm castings total.  The unfinished material is great starting material and was loaded with worms for the new tote. I covered the bottom with several layers of news paper and then added the contents of the first bin into the larger tote. 

Added the second.

Added the third bin.  Unfortunately, the picture of the tote with just the bin contents didn't turn out.  I had to use my crappy camera phone because I couldn't find my real one.  I then added a significant amount of shredded cardboard to the top.

I am not even able to take a guess at the amount of worms I added.  It would be similar to guessing jelly beans in a jar.  However I have picked worms out for trade before and know that I can typically get a pound of worms from 5 gallon of material.  I probably moved 35-45 gallon worth of material into the large tote.  Which gives me approximately 7-8 pounds of worms which seems about right.  Each handful was loaded with tons of worms.  This setup will hopefully eliminate some of the work involved harvesting the castings.

--------------------
"My worm farm"      "96 Gallon Worm Tote"        "Let Your Freak Flag Fly"    "Respect Your Roots"    "A KNEW IDEA"

"Nothing New"    "Willkommen im EthnoGarten"      "Don't Be a Backeberg"      "Mites and Mealy Bugs"      "The Heart and the Sun"

If someone doesn't want your LIGHT, shine it some where else.  Everyday there are people who LOVE, ACCEPT, and LOOK FORWARD to making CONTACT with you.  YOU are capable of GREAT THINGS even if you feel neglected or mistreated in OUR current SPACE.  Change your ways, change our WORLD, there is SAFTEY in NUMBERS.  Welcome to the PRESENT. ~ 144,000 Anonymous Voices

“Call it a clan, call it a network, call it a tribe, call it a family: Whatever you call it, whoever you are, you need one. [NOW]” - Jane Howard

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineTmethylM
Smear in the shale
 User Gallery

Loc: Florida
Re: 96 gallon worm tote [Re: hookahhead]
    #17494634 - 01/03/13 10:54 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

That is impressive and well written, thank you!

--------------------
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Offlinedstark
Manifesting Minds
Male User Gallery

Re: 96 gallon worm tote [Re: Tmethyl]
    #17494844 - 01/03/13 11:50 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Wow thank you very much!!!:omgawesome:
The worms growing instantly favorited!:smile:
Hope many more of your posts to follow:yesnod:

--------------------
What is a mind, if not something to be messed with? What is consciousness, if not a state to be altered?

~I Feel
:mushroom2:
at Home~

InvisibleBig L
In tall buildings
 User Gallery

Loc: Luxury
Re: 96 gallon worm tote [Re: hookahhead]
    #17494878 - 01/03/13 11:58 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

:goodmorning:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder