Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinekhemfusion
battleaxewarrior

Loc: West Coast Canada
Cake viability?
    #1749152 - 07/25/03 08:17 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Hello all, I have some cakes that I've PC'd on July 8th
They are half pints, with holes punched and taped over, and then another layer of aluminum foil over that, my question is:

Would they still be sterile if I haven't opened them? They've been sitting at about room temperature in the dark since the 8th (17 days ago)

I just finally got some syringes containing WATER ONLY today and am wondering, should I bake some new cakes, or will these ones be good enough and contamination free?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblemicro
bunbun has a gungun
Male User Gallery

Loc: Brick City
Re: Cake viability? [Re: khemfusion]
    #1749222 - 07/25/03 08:43 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

If they are contaminated you should be able to tell. I'd be more concerned about them drying out if the lids were not on tight, but if they aren't dry they should be o.k.

I've inoculated stuff over a month after they were p.c.'ed and haven't had a problem, but if you're concerned and don't have enough inoculum better safe than sorry, IMO.

--
Micro

--------------------
Any research paper or book for free
(Avatar is Maxxy, a character by Mizzyam, RIP)

OfflineSomeMycologist
some guy
Loc: Mycoland
Re: Cake viability? [Re: micro]
    #1749246 - 07/25/03 08:55 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I wouldnt use the same jars again because you should aim in making the incubation process as short as possible since the factor of contamination sets in. If the jars are 17 days old and incubation takes About 20 days then thats about 40 days total. they might not be contaminated now but i wouldnt bet on them being good 10 days down the line. An option would be to sterilize the jars again for a short time to kill of any germinating bacteria but you run the risk of having the jars dry out. If i were you id start a new batch of jars. its cheaper then wasting the syringes youve been waiting so long for. Good luck man

--------------------
If you cant beat them, join them, then beat them!

Offlinekhemfusion
battleaxewarrior

Loc: West Coast Canada
Re: Cake viability? [Re: SomeMycologist]
    #1749263 - 07/25/03 09:02 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Well, it's only 5 jars, and I have a fair amount of innoculum, I think what will be best for me to do is to make another fresh batch, and then innoc these current jars and wait on the results, there's two options with them, fail or succeed, so we'll see what path they take :smile:

When sterilizing a glovebox and innoculating inside one, do I just have to wipe the needle down with alcohol between stabs into a cake? I don't know if it's possible to have flame sterilization inside one, I have a butane torch lighter and thats about it

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation