Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop:   Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Perlite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinezoomzoomshroom
Novice Shroomer

Some very basic questions, please help.
    #1748644 - 07/25/03 05:07 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

I have read through just about all of the FAQs, but I'm a bit confused by a few things. I'm using the PF Tek in 1/2 pint glasses covered with aluminum foil.

I innoculated 12 jars on 6/28. By 7/18, 4 of the glasses had appeared fully colonized, so I birthed them into a 3 gallon rubbermaid tub. I lined the bottom of the tub with about an inch of moist perlite, and I have been misting at least once a day with plain tap water. The tub is covered with plastic wrap, and when I mist I make sure to air out the container a bit.

By now, all of the remaining glasses appear fully colonized, but I haven't birthed them because the first ones I birthed still haven't shown little brown/red heads (primordia I believe). Should I cold shock the remaining jars? Should I cold shock the cakes I already birthed?

Also, I heard someone mention they mist with a part water, part peroxide (h202) solution. Is that necessary with PF Tek cakes?

Lastly, a question about nutrition. I cannot find brown rice flour anywhere near me. Because brown rice is difficult to crush I did a small experiment to see if it was necessary. I used brown rice flour in four of the glasses, regular rice flour in four, and a 50/50 mix of the two in the remaining four. I found that both the straight BRF and the 50/50 mix worked well, but plain RF colonized quite poorly. I've read about using ground millet as a substrate. If I were going to use millet in the PF Tek, could I just substitute the appropriate amount of millet for BRF in the recipe?

Edit: I'm an idiot! I forgot to ask about light. I know that mushrooms don't get energy from light, but they do grow in response to it. Should my cakes get light 24 hours a day, or should I use a timer and have them in the dark some of the day? Thanks.

-------------------------------------------------------

--------------------
----------------------------------------
Selling life after death is a deceitful buisness, as the client can never come back to seek a refund on a product not delievered, but I suppose if you can stomach it, it is a profitable buisness.

Edited by zoomzoomshroom (07/25/03 05:18 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflinepsilocybinjunkieM
relaxin
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Some very basic questions, please help. [Re: zoomzoomshroom]
    #1748869 - 07/25/03 06:30 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

don't mist your cakes before the first flush, it's not necessary till second flush!
Also go ahead and birth da other cakes...
How long have they been in the container with perlit? Wait at least 14 days before worrying about no pins :stash:

Invisibledog
straw dog

Loc: Route 66
    #1748912 - 07/25/03 06:43 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Should I cold shock the remaining jars? Should I cold shock the cakes I already birthed?

Cold shocking is unnecessary for cubies.
Quote:

Also, I heard someone mention they mist with a part water, part peroxide (h202) solution. Is that necessary with PF Tek cakes?

Not absolutely necessary but it can help prevent contamination.
Quote:

If I were going to use millet in the PF Tek, could I just substitute the appropriate amount of millet for BRF in the recipe?

If it is ground it should work well.
Quote:

Should my cakes get light 24 hours a day

No, they do much better with a period of darkness. Somebody on the Shroomery, my friend thinks that it was Kykeon, did an experiment that showed that shrooms actually grew a bit faster during the dark cycle.

--------------------

Fascism (fash'izem) n. A governmental system marked by a centralized dictatorship, stringent socioeconomic controls, and often belligerent nationalism. see also: the Bush Administration.

Invisiblecalicyco

Re: Some very basic questions, please help. [Re: dog]
    #1749040 - 07/25/03 07:34 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Have patience. They will grow. Give them fresh air, humidity and light. They will certainly grow. Your worries are a little premature.

Offlinezoomzoomshroom
Novice Shroomer

Re: Some very basic questions, please help. [Re: dog]
    #1749055 - 07/25/03 07:39 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

First off, thanks for the replies. The amount of information on this site is simply amazing. I need just a little further clarification, if you could. By misting I didn't mean spraying the cakes directly, but spraying inside the container to increase the humidity. Isn't that different than misting the cake directly? Is that also not necessary until after the first flush?

As for lighting, what light cycle would you recommend for the cakes? Also, should the cakes that haven't been birthed yet get light?

I have 3% hydrogen peroxide, how many parts of water should I add to one part of that for spraying?

Thanks again for your help.

-Zoom

--------------------
Selling life after death is a deceitful buisness, as the client can never come back to seek a refund on a product not delievered, but I suppose if you can stomach it, it is a profitable buisness.

Offlinezoomzoomshroom
Novice Shroomer

#1749064 - 07/25/03 07:44 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Yeah, I know you're right calicyco, but patience is really hard the first time around. I remember when I first grew cannabis. I think I checked on the plants every 15 minutes in the beginning. I guess I just don't know what to expect, and I want to make sure I'm doing everything I can to expedite the process. I was hoping to harvest the first flush in time for a trip I'm going on with a few friends.

Patience, patience...must remember that.

--------------------

Invisibledog
straw dog

Loc: Route 66
    #1749084 - 07/25/03 07:50 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

First off, thanks for the replies.

No problem.  :laugh:
Quote:

By misting I didn't mean spraying the cakes directly, but spraying inside the container to increase the humidity.

IMO, spraying when fruiting cakes is not necessary at all. Perlite is a much more effective at humidification. A splash of H2O2 can be added to the perlite & water to help with contams. And you are right, cakes should not be sprayed directly.
Quote:

As for lighting, what light cycle would you recommend for the cakes? 

An hour or two of diffused natural lighting is plenty. My fiend would not go over 8 hours, but there are those that would argue the point.
Quote:

I have 3% hydrogen peroxide, how many parts of water should I add to one part of that for spraying?

It's not that critical. 3% H2O2 will not harm mycelium or pins. My friend mixes it approximately 50/50 to mist his casings.

--------------------

Fascism (fash'izem) n. A governmental system marked by a centralized dictatorship, stringent socioeconomic controls, and often belligerent nationalism. see also: the Bush Administration.

OfflineEkstaza
stranger thanmost
 User Gallery

Loc: Around the corner
    #1749085 - 07/25/03 07:50 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

About your cakes that you haven't birthes yet, I would give them light just by putting them out on a shelf in your room somewhere. That starts the pinning proccess so that you can see the pins through the glass and then birth them. Not everyone will agree with that but it works fine for me. The cakes get light to start pinning before they are exposed to outside air that could expose them to contams.

I'm pretty sure the ratio of water to peroxide is 9:1.

Good Luck!!

--------------------
YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH ANY GIVEN DRUG ISN'T THE DEFINITIVE MEASURE OF THE DRUGS EFFECTS.

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
    #1750145 - 07/26/03 04:56 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

> If I were going to use millet in the PF Tek, could I just substitute the
>appropriate amount of millet for BRF in the recipe?

Millet flour, yes. You can use many different things ground to flour as a substitute for BRF.
Check out this thread:
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=1732981

Offlinehyper_dermic
stranger withcandy

Loc: the land of excess
    #1750236 - 07/26/03 07:13 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

I need just a little further clarification, if you could. By misting I didn't mean spraying the cakes directly, but spraying inside the container to increase the humidity

i find that people generally mist CASINGS.... directly..... to provide extra water for the mycellum to use

for CAKES, people usually DUNK them in cold water for 12-24 hours... then put them back in the terrarium....
DUNKING usually takes place RIGHT AFTER BIRTH, and INBETWEEN FLUSHES.....

dunking works WONDERS for cakes :smile:

(to dunk, just take some cold water, fill the origonal container the jar was incubated in, place the cake inside, cover, let sit, then rebirth yay! its like baptizing your cake!!)

[hyp] 

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop:   Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Perlite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation