Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
Re: musicians are geniuses! NOT!!! [Re: atomikfunksoldier]
    #1748713 - 07/25/03 03:36 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

No, not a dictatorship, not communist. I'm talking about a DIVINE and JUST infrastructure based on the sovereignty of all citizens on the planet, the respect of free will, and a general LOVE for all beings. A very humble government that has no real control, that relies on the laws of the universe, not man-made laws.

Anyway, we are way off-topic. Music changed my life, several times, and I've seen it change countless other lives.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: musicians are geniuses! NOT!!! [Re: Shroomism]
    #1748777 - 07/25/03 03:57 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Music changed my life, several times, and I've seen it change countless other lives.

Music is one of the few forms of communication that can drill through all the illusions of the ego and tap directly into the self... into the soul. I am not speaking of lyrics, but of the composition of tones, sounds, and patterns.

Music also allows the composer to spill their emotions in a way that no other medium provides. Granted, the perception is in the ear of the listener, but the composer still controls the delivery.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Offlinepsikooz
Stranger
Loc: Los Angeles
Re: musicians are geniuses! NOT!!! [Re: TheHobbit]
    #1749321 - 07/25/03 07:27 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Give me a break dude. MTV is not music.

Music is the only thing that has serious effects on how people think.
If you have a serious band. That plays good music, and not some MTV crap. You have more power than politicians. Because you are what the people listen to, and you can get people to do anything you want. Anything. Music will change the way you live in the next 10 years. Just waite. Youll see.

Edited by psikooz (07/25/03 07:32 PM)

Offlineatomikfunksoldier
T'was born oftrue in the yearof the cock!

Loc: a human-infested anthill
Re: musicians are geniuses! NOT!!! [Re: psikooz]
    #1749565 - 07/25/03 09:31 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

shroomism: No, not a dictatorship, not communist. I'm talking about a DIVINE and JUST infrastructure based on the sovereignty of all citizens on the planet, the respect of free will, and a general LOVE for all beings. A very humble government that has no real control, that relies on the laws of the universe, not man-made laws.

see, this is what I was trying to get across in my topic about idealists. What you have desribed here is an unrealistic ideal that would result in negative effects that condradict your positive ideal. People do bad things, they kill each other, if you dont have man-made laws, then people who are willing to kill other people will kill as many people as they want. The law of the universe? survival of the fittest....thusly we arrive at capitalism yes?

--------------------
enjoy the entertaining indentity i have constructed for you while you can.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
    #1749569 - 07/25/03 09:33 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

The law of free will...do as thou will as long as thy free will does not interfere with the free will of others.

--------------------

Offlineatomikfunksoldier
T'was born oftrue in the yearof the cock!

Loc: a human-infested anthill
    #1749574 - 07/25/03 09:35 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

so....how will you enforce this law? police and prisons?

--------------------
enjoy the entertaining indentity i have constructed for you while you can.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
    #1749579 - 07/25/03 09:39 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

No.. camps, where they are treated as humans, not locked in a cage but on an island, where they will be educated, counseled and treated.

--------------------

OfflineRhizoid
carbon unit
Male

Loc: Europe
    #1750004 - 07/26/03 12:58 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Music is a great delivery vehicle for poetry. It can also affect your mood directly, without words. It's not at all surprising if music changes the way a person thinks.

A musician may very well be a genius when he is creating music, but revert to more ordinary clouded modes of thinking at other times, like for example when opening the mouth talking to a newspaper reporter.

I think the same is true for all sorts of other geniuses too, not only musical geniuses.

OfflineDogomush
Barbless Aryan

Loc: The Canadian west coast
Re: musicians are geniuses! NOT!!! [Re: Rhizoid]
    #1751123 - 07/26/03 04:42 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

you guys are hilarious! This is a great thread.

No.. camps, where they are treated as humans, not locked in a cage but on an island, where they will be educated, counseled and treated.

So... a prison? I was hanging out with this public school teacher in a ghetto in montreal. They didn't give a fuck what he was saying, and most of them failed. If the reason I'm in prison is because I like killing gays, then am I going to listen and be educated by someone who doesn't agree with me? Nope. Be more smart guys.

So, your viewpoint on musicians is formed by MTV and TRL? Get a fucking grip, man. Have you ever listened to anything but rap, pop-punk, or boy bands? And Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park, and Papa Roach? I don't think a lot of people here on this thread really listen to that shit... and there is a reason why. Open your eyes.

I love these conclusions. It's some funny shit. I have no idea what TRL is and I've watched MTV 3 or 4 times while staying in hotels on vacation with my parents when I was younger. I've heard of some of those musicians and heard them a little, but only because they're mostly impossible to avoid. I see lots of live shows with unsigned bands. I prefer listening to musicians who are expressing things without the assistance of media driven personas. Radiohead, Tool, System of a Down are all bands I appreciate and enjoy because they produce excellent studio music, but they're driven by publicity agents who capitalize on rebellious youth culture which is a huge consumer market. Just like in the 60s the revolution was sold to us and never appeared. Nothing's changed. I suggest you pull you head out of the ass of the cow that is pop culture. The deprivation of oxygen is turning your mind into putty.

I respect local musicians and hip hop. And I don't mean rap, or hip hop in any way you'd ever understand. That's the music of revolution. The revolution involves scrawling worthless messageless shit on bus stops. But I doubt you could understand that.

The law of free will...do as thou will as long as thy free will does not interfere with the free will of others.

what if I'm a lion?

party on bwoys

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Re: musicians are geniuses! NOT!!! [Re: Dogomush]
    #1751623 - 07/26/03 08:54 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

I'm a musician that has been expressing things through music for 7 years without label assistance and will continue to do so. It's especially hard when you are poor and eating ramen for weeks and selling your tv to make it to the venue, but it's always worth it. The music is what drives us. That's what it's all about, you know.. the music. For us anyway.

what if I'm a lion?

Then you hunt gazelle for survival. But you're not, you're a human.

--------------------

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
    #1751683 - 07/26/03 09:28 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Shroomism said:
I'm a musician that has been expressing things through music for 7 years without label assistance and will continue to do so. It's especially hard when you are poor and eating ramen for weeks and selling your tv to make it to the venue, but it's always worth it. The music is what drives us. That's what it's all about, you know.. the music. For us anyway.

I'm curious, do you eventually hope to have label assistance?
I myself love eating ramen noodles (I could do it all the time if necessary, and it will be necessary for me soon enough, believe me. And I don't watch t.v., save a few exceptions that don't matter anyways.
For me, its not just the music, but everything that comes with it: the family (the band), the extended family (the fans), the connection... I can't wait to hang out with fans after the shows, fucking kicking some hack and talking shop. And the beautiful thing about not being driven by the need for money is the fact that you can play that game sucessfully.. Most bands adore in all of the attention, money, drugs, fame.. and it wipes them out. It blinds them, corrupts them. But, if you can't be corrupted, then hell motherfucker yeah.
Peace.

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Re: musicians are geniuses! NOT!!! [Re: fireworks_god]
    #1751710 - 07/26/03 09:42 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

I'll be honest.. Label assistance would be nice.. to do the things we are too poor to do (RECORD IN THE STUDIO being the main one).. thus far we've had to rely on shitty homemade recordings that don't get anywhere. Plus, musical equipment costs money, and it's not cheap. I've sacraficed many a precious item to upgrade/fix my rig or get something the band needs. It would be nice if I didn't have to worry about things like that, and just focus completely on the music.
Don't get me wrong though.. I appreciate all the shit I have to go through. It's part of the experience. Having to work your ass off and remain dedicated to the music throughout the *hardest* of times is what shows you if you are truly dedicated..truly driven.
I don't care about money, if I could just have equipment and touring costs taken care of.. I would enjoy just playing the shows. I just need enough money to survive. Because again, it's all about the music, not money.
I could eat ramen forever.. but sometimes you need some fruit or something you know.. I work full time and have a band full time, which takes a lot of energy...having some kind of label assistance I would surely not complain, so long as our creative freedoms were not limited, and we had ownership to the material.
It's all the experience..getting the gig, making flyers, passing them out, getting to the show.. doing things together as a band.. it is a family. It's about not letting your sight become obscured when you reach the peak. Don't be blinded by visions of greed..power... remain humble and always remember your roots.. you can safely navigate the madness that is the music industry, if you have your head firmly attached and you do not lose your vision of who and what you are. Few make it through unchanged however..

--------------------

OfflineDoctorJ
Male

Loc: space
    #1751734 - 07/26/03 09:58 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

"I'll be honest.. Label assistance would be nice.. to do the things we are too poor to do (RECORD IN THE STUDIO being the main one).. thus far we've had to rely on shitty homemade recordings that don't get anywhere."

are you familiar with digital PC recording? seriously, get a nice soundcard and Cakewalk or Sonar... you can work miracles with that shit. I mainly use it for techno, but my friend records metal and stuff all the time using the same software and it sounds like professional recording.

labels are stupid. they are obsolete. soon musicians will sell their shit directly via the intternet with no need for a label.

you'd be amazed what you can do with just your computer

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

#1751740 - 07/26/03 10:00 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Ahh, just as everything has its advantages and disadvantages (or, bump it up to high risk territory, which applies here: its super mega advantages and its depressing, sink into obscurity disadvantages).
People always complain "their" bands sell out.. truth is, the twenty fans that come to their show don't give up enough money to make by.
There is a dreadful game that has to be played, it involves business (business and art make quite the symbiotic relationship, but they both hate each other very very much).
I would be happy being IN FLAMES big. They always get around now, worldwide, to play their shows (although they need more fucking U.S. dates? why didn't you play in Milwaukee this time around?! we all lined up the last two times! Anders even told us, that Milwaukee reminded him of Gothenburg!), they can sustain themselves with their love, and even get to rub shoulders with Metallica (see below).
I have an agenda, a message that needs to get out there, and I decided I am going to play the Big Game. The people here need to hear the message that I think a lot of us here at the S and P know of, and the government is going to tell them. they can fucking shoot me, or whatever, but I'll get it out there.
Anyways, this is all about the music. Its about playing my bass guitar. I've only actually really thought about the "message" twice, once on the way back from the IN FLAMES/ Mudvayne concert. Mudvayne has this energy they release, almost a tap into a consciousness, and on the long ride home, I crawled into my head and started thinking. I tackled a lot of shit, and kept moving up the "importance" ladder, until finally reaching the top, my purpose here. It just sort of occured to me then, that's all, never really had to think about it, not really having to since. I don't think I'm really suspossed to care, it will just play itself out when the time comes. Scary shit, though.
All I'll need is a car with a good system, some good dope, some time to cruise, and these cd's: IN FLAMES' Colony, Metallica's Ride The Lightning, and Tool's Lateralus to remind me of why I'm in this. Never lose faith or my purpose, I won't.
Peace.

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Re: musicians are geniuses! NOT!!! [Re: DoctorJ]
    #1751751 - 07/26/03 10:04 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

You'd be surprised... Cakewalk is good but my computer sucks. I can't even run lemmings. Seriously when I say poor I mean poor. I don't need a label just someone with some recording knowledge and the proper equipment to record us for free, or close to it.  :tongue: 

--------------------

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

#1751756 - 07/26/03 10:06 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

DoctorJ said:
labels are stupid. they are obsolete. soon musicians will sell their shit directly via the intternet with no need for a label.

I don't see this happening. Too much money involved for the record companies (and their mega mega parent companies) to give up on. Come on, Sony? Sony doesn't roll over and go to sleep.
Selling records on the internet independantly won't ever take over the big league, I don't think. Those tours the big bands put on are EXPENSIVE. How will people find all of the stuff on the net, by themselves? Most people don't have that patience or comfortability with freely choosing music (its not necessarily a good thing, but the truth).
Peace.

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

OfflineDoctorJ
Male

#1751765 - 07/26/03 10:10 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

I'm serious, if you get the $$ to get a decent computer you can do all that shit yourself. you can build a badass computer for under a g if you skimp on the video and just concentrate on the sound

Soundblaster Audigy is the best consumer soundcard out there. It comes with lots of ins and witrh Sonar you can do multitrack recording. my friend doesn't even have a drummer, he just had me teach him to do beats in Reason!

don't be a slave to someone else for lack of a thousand dollars. I know your smart enough to figure that shit out

good computer= badass recording studio

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Re: musicians are geniuses! NOT!!! [Re: fireworks_god]
    #1751768 - 07/26/03 10:11 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

I'm aware of the game. In fact I have only recently come to even acknowledge it, and begin to understand it. We've started playing it now, and the rollercoaster is clicking to the top of the first hill, soon, we will be going over the first peak. The business aspect of this game is unfortunate, but is required if you want to be heard. Anyway, I will be satisfied for now with some venues around the east coast, and when we have the resources to, around the US.. I would like to play some shows in europe.. and perhaps japan.. and wherever else there are fans. We've begin getting a lot of offers for festivals and such lately, and I don't know where it's going to lead us, but we're just going to go with the flow. Playing shows is what it's all about for us.. just getting out there and playing our music, connecting with the people on that level.. having fun.. good times.. release all kinds of shit.. spiritual healing like nothing else. It's a hard life for some, but it's good for you if you ask me...if you approach it the right way, that is.;

--------------------

OfflineDoctorJ
Male

#1751772 - 07/26/03 10:15 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

"How will people find all of the stuff on the net, by themselves?"

the key is promotion. if musicians can bypass the labels and go directly to radio and MTV, they can get the word out. I'm quite sure that record labels will have a diminished, if any, role in promotion and distribution. for years labels have raped musicians just because they had deals with sam goody. now sam goody doent matter. the internet has already overpowered retail distribution, its just a matter of doing it commercially.

if the best musicians drop labels and promote and distribute their music themselves, then eventually the system will be bent to their will because it will be the only way for fans to get the best music.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
    #1751780 - 07/26/03 10:17 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Yes that is a very appealing option for me.. but you also have to consider high quality condenser mics which the studios use cost upwards of $2,000 each..all of the various compressors, mastering equipment..all expensive stuff. For $1,000 we could record a demo in the studio and press 500 copies to CD. But I would definately go for a good computer to record on in the future when I have the expendable resources.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order