Home | Community | Message Board

Kraken Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinewingnutx
General: U.S. captures Saddam bodyguards
    #1747716 - 07/25/03 12:40 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/meast/07/25/sprj.irq.main/index.html

Videotape released of what officials say are sons' bodies

BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) --The commanding general of a U.S. Army division said Friday that American forces believe they have captured several of Saddam Hussein's personal bodyguards during a raid in north-central Iraq.

Maj. Gen. Ray Odierno of the 4th Infantry Division said that the raid took place Thursday on a house south of Tikrit, Saddam's hometown.

"We had somebody come into Tikrit, the 1st Brigade, and give us an informant, give us a tip to conduct a raid on a house south of Tikrit, which we conducted last night," Odierno said in a video teleconference from Baghdad with reporters in Washington.

"Based on the informant south of Tikrit, we detained 13 individuals. Somewhere between five to 10 of those, we are still sorting through it, are believed to be Saddam Hussein's personal security detachment."

Odierno said it wasn't clear how recently the bodyguards had been protecting the deposed Iraqi leader. He said the hunt for Saddam was ongoing.

"We have also talked to one of his wives ... and so we have talked to several people in this area," he said. "I believe that we continue to tighten the noose."

Graphic footage of corpses
For the first time, Iraqis and other TV viewers throughout the world Friday saw graphic videotape of two bullet-riddled bodies that the U.S. military said are the sons of Saddam Hussein. (Full story)

On Thursday, the U.S.-backed Coalition Provisional Authority in Iraq released still photos of the blood-spattered, bearded corpses to news agencies.

The U.S. military took the unusual step of allowing reporters to view and videotape the bodies Friday at close range and in extensive detail to combat skepticism that Uday and Qusay Hussein were killed in a Tuesday firefight with U.S. soldiers in the northern city of Mosul. (Timeline of the attack)

A coalition spokeswoman acknowledged that releasing photos Thursday may not have been enough to prove Saddam's sons were dead. Most newspapers in the region didn't get the photos in time for Friday's editions. (Iraqis react, Viewer discretion advised: Gallery of still photos)

On Friday, military morticians told reporters seeing the corpses that the faces of both bodies had been partially reconstructed and prepared for viewing.

Military pathologists said each body had more than 20 bullet wounds. After viewing the photos Thursday, some military officials had speculated that wounds on Uday's body could have been self-inflicted. But military pathologists said they had seen no signs of suicide.

Troop rotation plan
War-weary U.S. troops will begin rotating out of Iraq as soon as August, the Army's vice chief of staff said, and the U.S. troop presence in that country will begin to decline by the second half of 2004.

"First in is first out, so the 3rd [Infantry Division] is coming out in August and September," said Gen. John Keane, following a briefing with the House Armed Services Committee on Iraq.

The Army's 3rd Infantry Division was the first unit to reach Baghdad. It has sustained the most deaths of any U.S. military division in Iraq, with 37 soldiers killed in action, said a spokesman for the unit's home base at Fort Stewart, Georgia.

About 9,000 soldiers from the 3rd Infantry arrived in the Central Command region in two groups -- in September and in January. Some troops have complained bitterly that there has been no exit strategy planned for them.

Replacing the 3rd Infantry Division will be soldiers from the 82nd Airborne Division, based in Fort Bragg, North Carolina, in a six-month-long rotation.

Keane said the overall number of U.S. troops in Iraq -- now at about 150,000 -- will begin dropping by late next year.

The last troops to be rotated out of Iraq -- in April -- would be the 173rd Airborne Brigade. That unit would not be replaced, a move that would effectively lower the number of personnel inside the country.

The Pentagon has been under pressure to put together a plan to inject fresh troops into Iraq to relieve tired and demoralized service members.

U.S. forces have been facing almost daily attacks since President Bush declared an end to major combat in Iraq on May 1. Forty-four U.S. troops have died from hostile fire since then, and another 57 have died in accidents and what the Pentagon calls "nonhostile" incidents. A total of 239 U.S. military personnel have been killed since the war in Iraq began in March. (Interactive: U.S. deaths in Iraq)

Other developments
? Three American soldiers were killed Thursday morning in northern Iraq when small-arms fire and rocket-propelled grenades ambushed their convoy, according to the U.S. military. The soldiers from the 101st Airborne Division were traveling into Qayyarah, a town about 40 miles (64 kilometers) south of Mosul, when they were attacked, military officials said. Soldiers secured the ambush site and found two rocket-propelled grenades and an AK-47 assault rifle, according to U.S. Central Command.

? Vice President Dick Cheney on Thursday defended the coalition mission to overthrow Saddam, saying it would have been irresponsible not to take action. "It was Saddam Hussein himself that made war unavoidable," Cheney said at the American Enterprise Institute in Washington. Referring to the September 11 attacks, he said, "We are not going to answer further danger by simply issuing diplomatic protests or sharply worded condemnations. We will not wait in false comfort while terrorists plot against innocent Americans."

? The CIA's technical assessment of the latest audiotape purported to be from Saddam -- broadcast Wednesday on the Arabic-language television network Al Arabiya -- has concluded it is likely the voice of the former Iraqi leader, a U.S. official said. (Full story)

? Back from a whirlwind tour of Iraq, U.S. Deputy Defense Secretary Paul Wolfowitz admits that many of the Bush administration's prewar assumptions were wrong. Among them: the belief that some Iraqi army units would switch sides, that Iraqi police would help maintain security, and that regime remnants would not resort to guerrilla tactics. (Full story)

CNN Correspondents Rym Brahimi, Nic Robertson, Barbara Starr and Harris Whitbeck contributed to this report.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineCornholio
A liberal guy(on hiatus)

Loc: Austin, TX
Re: General: U.S. captures Saddam bodyguards [Re: wingnutx]
    #1748527 - 07/25/03 04:24 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

wingnutx said:
? Vice President Dick Cheney on Thursday defended the coalition mission to overthrow Saddam, saying it would have been irresponsible not to take action. "It was Saddam Hussein himself that made war unavoidable," Cheney said at the American Enterprise Institute in Washington. Referring to the September 11 attacks, he said, "We are not going to answer further danger by simply issuing diplomatic protests or sharply worded condemnations. We will not wait in false comfort while terrorists plot against innocent Americans."

I wonder why he didn't say that in the first place, but instead argued the war was about WMD?

Quote:

? The CIA's technical assessment of the latest audiotape purported to be from Saddam -- broadcast Wednesday on the Arabic-language television network Al Arabiya -- has concluded it is likely the voice of the former Iraqi leader, a U.S. official said. (Full story)

Interesting, I hadn't heard about that.

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?

Loc: Lost In Space
Re: General: U.S. captures Saddam bodyguards [Re: Cornholio]
    #1748779 - 07/25/03 05:57 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

I'm sure you are aware that WMD's was one of many reasons given.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

OfflineCornholio
A liberal guy(on hiatus)

Re: General: U.S. captures Saddam bodyguards [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #1748818 - 07/25/03 06:15 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

luvdemshrooms said:
I'm sure you are aware that WMD's was one of many reasons given.

No I'm not. The other "reasons" weren't given until after WMD weren't found to my knowledge.

--------------------

Edited by Cornholio (07/25/03 06:15 PM)

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

Re: General: U.S. captures Saddam bodyguards [Re: Cornholio]
    #1748866 - 07/25/03 06:29 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Seems you have a bad memory... in this article you'll see WMD's, terrorism, defiance of UN resolutions, and the welfare of the Iraqi people mentioned. All before the war started.

Perhaps in between Federalist papers you could squeeze this one in as well.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Offlinewingnutx
    #1748890 - 07/25/03 06:36 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

That story is a plant by time-travelling Haliburton operatives.

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

Re: General: U.S. captures Saddam bodyguards [Re: wingnutx]
    #1748900 - 07/25/03 06:40 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Actually, I hacked the BBC!!!

Yeah me!

Of course Cheny dictated the article word for word. 

He made me swear not to tell.

Crap.... here come his men now.

Get back you bastards..... nnoooooooooooo!

:lipsrsealed:

I am typing now with my pecker as they sewed my lips and broke my fingers.

--------------------

OfflineCornholio
A liberal guy(on hiatus)

#1749183 - 07/25/03 08:26 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

luvdemshrooms said:
Seems you have a bad memory... in this article you'll see WMD's, terrorism, defiance of UN resolutions, and the welfare of the Iraqi people mentioned. All before the war started.

Perhaps in between Federalist papers you could squeeze this one in as well.

Fair enough. Other reasons were given, but "while there were many reasons to go to war, the Bush administration chose to focus on weapons of mass destruction because it was the one issue behind which all factions could unite." In other words, the other reasons weren't good enough. They had to lie to win their case for war.

--------------------

OfflineAzmodeus
Seeker

Loc: Lotus Land!! B.C.
    #1749218 - 07/25/03 08:42 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

He still lies blatantly to whip up fear, anger, and support for the war.

Mr Bush's State of the Union address, 29 January 2003:

Today, the gravest danger in the war on terror, the gravest danger facing America and the world, is outlaw regimes that seek and possess nuclear, chemical, and biological weapons. These regimes could use such weapons for blackmail, terror, and mass murder...

Twelve years ago, Saddam Hussein faced the prospect of being the last casualty in a war he had started and lost. To spare himself, he agreed to disarm of all weapons of mass destruction.

For the next 12 years, he systematically violated that agreement. He pursued chemical, biological and nuclear weapons even while inspectors were in his country...

The dictator of Iraq is not disarming. To the contrary, he is deceiving.

--------------------
"Know your Body - Know your Mind - Know your Substance - Know your Source.

Lest we forget. "

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion