Home | Community | Message Board

Phytoextractum
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Anonymous

Anti-Depressants?
    #1746796 - 07/25/03 03:01 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I'm taking an anti-depressant called 'Lexapro,' 20 mg's daily. Wondering if anyone else is taking it and could tell me if it makes a difference with your sensitivity to mushrooms?

If you're not taking Lexapro, but you're taking an anti-depressant...post what the name of it is (+dosage) and how many dried grams it takes you for a medium trip...Profile of your body (weight/height) would be nice as well. If you would prefer, you can PM me about it instead.

Weight- 140
Height- 5'10"

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinemonoamine
umask 077(nonefor you)

Loc: Jacksonville,FL
Re: Anti-Depressants? [Re: ]
    #1746816 - 07/25/03 03:14 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

It will greatly lessen or nullify a trip in most people if they've been taking it for awhile.If you've only been on it a little bit,it might not or it might actually increase a trip.

--------------------
People think that if you just say the word "hallucinations" it explains everything you want it to explain and eventually whatever it is you can't explain will just go away.It's just a word,it doesn't explain anything...
Douglas Adams

OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

Loc: International waters
Re: Anti-Depressants? [Re: monoamine]
    #1746881 - 07/25/03 03:38 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

they are garbage
www.prozacspotlight.org

--------------------

Invisiblepoke smot!
floccinocci floofinator
Male

Re: Anti-Depressants? *DELETED* [Re: Psilocybeingzz]
    #1747374 - 07/25/03 09:46 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Post deleted by poke smot!

Reason for deletion: x

OfflineRANKSRAGGY68
Scooby SnacksIndeed!!

Loc: Texas
Re: Anti-Depressants? [Re: poke smot!]
    #1748574 - 07/25/03 04:43 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I'm weaning myself off of Lexapro as we speak. I was up to 30mg. I dropped to 20 then 10mg and will be off within the week. I am doing this because it is an SSRI and it seems to be the consensus that it really diminishes effects. The dark cloud is long gone so it is time to get off of them anyway.

In the meantime because of a sleep disorder I have been prescribed TRAZODONE 75mg which is supposedly a tricyclic which will INCREASE the effects of a trip. But how? Like a Lithium Fugue? Or I'll just need less to get off? An erowid article claims that TRAZODONE is an SSRI, but I think it is wrong.

Height 6'4"
Weight 215

I don't know about you, but Lexapro was my first anti-depressant. My first 48 hours on it were spent tripping really hard as my body got used to it. I had pupils the size of saucers about 12 hours after my first 10mg dose. Of course I was at a steak house during a family business meeting when it hit me and I spent the rest of the day running errands as a passenger in an SUV with my crazy ass uncle driving like a bat out of hell. I haven't had any red meat since. The next day I spent at home with some really good albums and some pot and I just enjoyed it. For 48 hours after that I loved life, and the Christmas holidays were really special this year. I had probably been depressed for about 3 years and didn't know any different.

-RR68

--------------------
"Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition."

Edited by RANKSRAGGY68 (07/25/03 04:46 PM)

Anonymous

Re: Anti-Depressants? [Re: Psilocybeingzz]
    #1748579 - 07/25/03 04:45 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Has anyone ever noticed that they hand out anti-depressants like candy? They also say everyone is depressed. I've always been labeled depressed all the fucking time. It's so annoying. Whenever I have a problem or an issue and if it's based on laziness or lack of inclination, they're like "you're depressed!." They want everyone to be the same. I don't think I've ever been depressed longer than an hour in my life. All of the antidepressants actually have made me worse after stopping them. And the even dumber thing is that I don't even think they work that well at all. They're just another way to control you. I'm never in my life taking another prescription drug. One of the sad things is that, niacin works ten times better than their anti-psychotics and it only costs 2 dollars when the prescription ones cost like 150$!!  :mad: It's all bullshit.

Anonymous

#1748618 - 07/25/03 04:57 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Yeah I agree...I haven't noticed any difference since I've been taking Lexapro...I've been trying to avoid taking it as much as possible but it's kind of hard to when the pills are shoved in my face and I'm watched when I take them... :-\

OfflineRANKSRAGGY68
Scooby SnacksIndeed!!

Loc: Texas
    #1748652 - 07/25/03 05:13 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones then. I never want to go back to the dark days of 1999-2002 and especially 2002. Divorce happened that year and I was at the very bottom of the barrel looking up into nothingness. Now I'm getting off of it.

However, I have a sister who has been through more anti-depressants than anyone I know. Nothing seems to work and being on nothing is worse than anything else. (suicide attempts).

I think I'm going to listen to my instincts and NOT take this TRAZODONE. I would go with the idea that my sleep patterns are the way they are because of the Lexapro, but I've had sleep problems since around 1988. Hmmmmm, right around the time I first took LSD.

-RR68

--------------------
"Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition."

Anonymous

Re: Anti-Depressants? [Re: RANKSRAGGY68]
    #1748698 - 07/25/03 05:32 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

For me at least at this point, I would stay off of anything on a daily basis. It will all just fuck me up more in the long run. Even sleeping pills. Sometimes I wish I could back and never take a single drug until I was fully developed and matured and done with puberty.

Offlinemonoamine
umask 077(nonefor you)

Loc: Jacksonville,FL
Re: Anti-Depressants? [Re: poke smot!]
    #1749731 - 07/26/03 01:01 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Lexapro, btw, is a more selective form of the drug Celexa.

The citalopram molecule (Celexa) has two halves that are mirror images of each other. One half binds to the receptor and "does the work",while the other half just kind of sticks out and does nothing. Escitalopram (Lexapro), is just the active half.

IMHO,Lexapro is just a gimmick to increase the patent on Celexa and increase sales. There are no observable differences between the drugs besides the fact that the one is more potent by weight than the other. Lexapro is no more "selective" than Celexa.

--------------------
People think that if you just say the word "hallucinations" it explains everything you want it to explain and eventually whatever it is you can't explain will just go away.It's just a word,it doesn't explain anything...
Douglas Adams

Offlinejong21
Mycologist/CSMajor

Loc: Berkeley, CA
    #1866304 - 08/30/03 05:52 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I do want to say though that although the word "depression" may be thrown around a lot, and some of the people posting in this forum may have been inappropriately diagnosed with it, and thus, found anti-depressants didn't do anything significant, depression can be a very real nightmare. I have never had it but am currently involved with someone who is severely depressed, and I can only hope the medication will work. babytripster, it is tough for me to agree with you that you should stay off all drugs on a regular basis, after seeing how horrible depression can be and the absolute pain it can bring. The most significant reason that depressed people are suicidal is merely the pain they experience, the emotional pain. Imagine the pain you felt when your first true love left you, parent or close friend died, dreams of going to a certain college shattered, etc....imagine feeling that all the time, or every few days, for years, for trivial reasons, or for reasons that people who aren't depressed could normally deal with, and move on from, or worst of all for absolutely no reason at all.

I agree that a lot of people may seem depressed, but are really just whining, or going through an isolated incident, from which they can and will emerge happy again, on their own.

However I hate hearing people say "they are garbage" and that "you shouldnt' take anything like this," etc...

babytripster, if you say you've never been depressed more than an hour at a time, I don't understand who the fuck would give you antidepressants. Obviously, the drugs will do nothing, except maybe make your mind cloudy, and you'll have negative side effects. Obviously, you weren't depressed, maybe you are just a moody person, but you certainly never suffered the absolute torment that is felt by those who are truely severely depressed.

Depression is a serious thing, and it affects everyone close to the depressed person as well. Anti-depressants, lexapro, what have you, are a great benefit to those suffering from depression and those close to them. I hate to hear posts that would discourage those that need help from seeking it.

And dsoul, how is Lexapro going to do shit for you if you avoid taking it? Anti-depressants work by building up in your bloodstream and staying there. If you keep missing doses intentionally, of course it won't work! Seems obvious to me man, if you really feel depressed, why refuse medication, and then claim it doesn't work?

And I've of course described the worse case. There are those who are moderately depressed, never happy but never in torment. Either way though those suffering from depression are not choosing to, and deserve to live better. Anti-depressants aren't addictive, it isn't the same issue as handing out ritalin like candy, which, of course, is actually a real issue today. I think more anti-depressants is better than less, in general. Of course, not to the point where people who are depressed for an hour here and there are getting them, obviously that is just stupid, as those people are obviously able to deal with their emotions and don't need anti-depressants.

So the poitn of my response...I guess just you gotta know something about depression before you judge anti-depressants.

--------------------
I either talk about my friends in the first or third person, but I never, ever talk about myself on this website. Except that last sentence.

Edited by jong21 (08/30/03 05:53 PM)

Offlinejong21
Mycologist/CSMajor

Loc: Berkeley, CA
Re: Anti-Depressants? [Re: jong21]
    #1866325 - 08/30/03 06:01 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I feel I should also add that therapy shouldn't be ignored and only anti-depressants used, when it comes to depression. For the cases where there is a cause to the depression, such as guilt, or grief, etc, therapy, either without or in conjunction with, antidepressants, is helpful. Most depressed people have issues they can't deal with, anti-depressants will ease the pain but the issues won't go away easily. I don't want yhou all to think I think anti-depressants are the magical cure to depression.

--------------------
I either talk about my friends in the first or third person, but I never, ever talk about myself on this website. Except that last sentence.

OfflineRANKS68
Stranger

Re: Anti-Depressants? [Re: jong21]
    #1867457 - 08/31/03 02:27 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

edit

Edited by RANKS68 (08/31/03 02:59 AM)

Anonymous

#1867604 - 08/31/03 03:58 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

babytripster said:
For me at least at this point, I would stay off of anything on a daily basis. It will all just fuck me up more in the long run. Even sleeping pills. Sometimes I wish I could back and never take a single drug until I was fully developed and matured and done with puberty.

I hear ya.....I just quit paxil myself

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
    #1868275 - 08/31/03 01:58 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Ugh...I don't think I did anything other then sleep with Paxil. 

While I know that some people need them to function...I'm not too fond of prescription drugs for mood disorders. It took me two years to recover from the damage that Wellbutrin (another antidepressent) did to me.  That sucked.  :tongue: 

OfflineFlowGnome
The artistformerly knownas Boobs McFeely

#1868528 - 08/31/03 04:19 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

grandmasterfat said:
The citalopram molecule (Celexa) has two halves that are mirror images of each other. One half binds to the receptor and "does the work",while the other half just kind of sticks out and does nothing. Escitalopram (Lexapro), is just the active half.

IMHO,Lexapro is just a gimmick to increase the patent on Celexa and increase sales. There are no observable differences between the drugs besides the fact that the one is more potent by weight than the other. Lexapro is no more "selective" than Celexa.

I'm going to have to disagree here. Both isomers of celexa are active, but the R isomer is responsible for some of the dopaminergic side effects (restlessness, insomnia, etc). I was briefly on Lexapro last year but it made me extremely tired to the point where I was sleeping over 12 hours a night and still having trouble waking up in the morning. When I switched to Celexa these problems went away within a day or two and I found myself having a boost of energy every morning after I took it instead. I gave some of the Lexapro to a friend who was on Celexa and she noted the same problem.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience