Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineHannibal88
Aryan Psychonaut
Loc: farfromvalhalla
Help! Yellow-Orange Semi-Hard Coating on Cakes
    #1745856 - 07/24/03 07:43 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

I pulled a cake out the other day to check if it was ready for birthing, but decided it wasn't, so I put it back in the jar and back into the incubator. Now, several days later, fuzz is starting to form, and the mycelium looks like it's grown through the substrate in the middle.

However, there is a patchy yellow-orange coating that has developed (very rapidly) on random spots on the top and sides of the cake. The patches are somewhat hardened, harder than the cake, but not like a scab or anything. The cake has a slightly off smell to it, which makes me suspicious, but the stuff is fairly hard to remove and appears to be merged with the mycelium, so perhaps it's just a damaged portion of the cake.

I've had zero contamination problems up to this point, and have worked in as sterile conditions as possible. I've been doing checks like this on many other cakes with no problems thus far. This cake is fully colonized on the surface, where the orange spots appeared. Any thoughts?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleTxTec
Texas home andheart breaker...

Re: Help! Yellow-Orange Semi-Hard Coating on Cakes [Re: Hannibal88]
    #1745872 - 07/24/03 07:51 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Welcome to the wonderfull world of contamination...so soddy :confused:You birthed it an played with it! You are gonna get flamed my friend...so soddy. :cool:

--------------------
I felt a warm warm breeze that melted metal and steele

OfflineKalbaska
SPEED

Re: Help! Yellow-Orange Semi-Hard Coating on Cakes [Re: TxTec]
    #1745937 - 07/24/03 08:14 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

I had same problem before.My best seguestion whould be cut the yellow out and case the good part of the cake. Worked for me.

--------------------
I'm not smiling because your joke was funny... I'm smiling because I know you'll be dead someday.

.........but it basically stems from the music, and im just hoping that people understand that moneys one thing................but soul is another.

InvisibleFiend_13
Lord

Re: Help! Yellow-Orange Semi-Hard Coating on Cakes [Re: TxTec]
    #1745939 - 07/24/03 08:14 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

HHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHA (Im flaming you) HAHAHAHh

--------------------

OfflineDank420
Shrooms...Mmm

Loc: 'burbs of philly
    #1745992 - 07/24/03 08:31 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

"I pulled a cake out the other day to check if it was ready for birthing, but decided it wasn't, so I put it back in the jar and back into the incubator."

There is your problem! Don't take an uncolonized cake out of a jar, your just wishing for contams that way. Everyone makes mistakes, but this could have been avoided by reading a little bit.

--------------------
"I tried marijuana once. I did not inhale." -William Clinton.

OfflineHannibal88
Aryan Psychonaut
Re: Help! Yellow-Orange Semi-Hard Coating on Cakes [Re: Dank420]
    #1746298 - 07/24/03 10:33 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Dank420 said:
"I pulled a cake out the other day to check if it was ready for birthing, but decided it wasn't, so I put it back in the jar and back into the incubator."

There is your problem! Don't take an uncolonized cake out of a jar, your just wishing for contams that way. Everyone makes mistakes, but this could have been avoided by reading a little bit.

Perhaps, but it's also very frustrating to wait for cakes that are done already when my time is running short. Is there any good way to know if cakes are fully colonized without opening them up to check? I've heard the "3-day rule," and all that, but it's not always very consistent. I've had cakes that grow through the middle before the surface even finishes, and I've had cakes gobble up the surface without even touching the inside of the substrate.

Invisiblegeorge castanzaM
Lord Of The Idiots!
Male User Gallery
Trusted Cultivator
    #1746432 - 07/24/03 11:21 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

inoculate 1 spot in the middle with 1/4 cc and then when it is fully colonized on the outside it is done
also you can save a lot of spore fluid this way
expect to wait an extra 3 to 7 days for full colonazation

says kramer

--------------------
KRAMER CAKES

OfflineHannibal88
Aryan Psychonaut
Re: Help! Yellow-Orange Semi-Hard Coating on Cakes [Re: george castanza]
    #1746504 - 07/24/03 11:47 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Good idea on the middle-of-the-jar innoculation. I'd thought about trying that, but didn't know how well it would work. Probably a better bet than trying to put 1 cc in each hole to speed things up.

Invisiblegeorge castanzaM
Lord Of The Idiots!
Male User Gallery
Trusted Cultivator
    #1746552 - 07/24/03 11:57 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

it works like a charm
says kramer

--------------------
KRAMER CAKES

OfflineDSD
devil

Loc: Bad,Bad person - minus ...
Re: Help! Yellow-Orange Semi-Hard Coating on Cakes [Re: george castanza]
    #1746899 - 07/25/03 01:57 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

yes you have the funk on your cakes, you can try and cut it out and save them but chances are they are done. i have tried to save contamed cakes before but never had any luck. if i were you i would trash them and start again, by the time you fuck around with them for another week you could be well on your way to a new batch. but thats just my opinion.

InvisibleTxTec

Re: Help! Yellow-Orange Semi-Hard Coating on Cakes [Re: DSD]
    #1746935 - 07/25/03 02:21 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Do as DSD says...chunk the funk so it doesnt contam your whole works...or just ask Anno...everybody else does..

--------------------

InvisibleTxTec

Re: Help! Yellow-Orange Semi-Hard Coating on Cakes [Re: Fiend_13]
    #1746980 - 07/25/03 02:41 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Fiend_13 said:
HHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHA (Im flaming you) HAHAHAHh 

With out a care of consequence?? :mad:...Flame this prick its against Shroomery policy to rate someone about a trade unless there has been a trade...You rated me bad once on general an i can live with that but you rated me bad on trading? The only trading i have ever done was sending someone a syringe or two wanting nothing in return so your rating of me on trading needs to be removed...Do it prick or i will ask Admins to remove it ...your choice bitch!!TxTec...

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures