Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
OfflineBuster_Brown
L'une
Male User Gallery

Re: Pope Benedict: "paedophilia in conformity with man and even with children" [Re: Rool Kat]
    #17455062 - 12/27/12 11:26 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Jocular attempts at self-righteousness fall flat. What was the climate around paedophilia like in the up-country while you were there?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRool Kat
Rutabga
Male User Gallery

Re: Pope Benedict: "paedophilia in conformity with man and even with children" [Re: Buster_Brown]
    #17455731 - 12/27/12 02:07 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Buster_Brown said:
Jocular attempts at self-righteousness fall flat. What was the climate around paedophilia like in the up-country while you were there?

The only thing I understood in your question was wrong.  I thought you said "hill country" as in the area on the Balcones Escarpment, and now I see you actually said "Up-country."  Just out of curiosity, did you mean, as in Vietnam?

No matter, WTF was the rest of that about?  As in "What attempt at self-righteousness?" and what how in the world would you find a connection whatever the first part meant, and pedophilia? :rolleyes:

I suspect that either your sense of humor could use a check-up; or you might consider taking a break from the crack-pipe. :thumbup:

Edited by Rool Kat (12/27/12 02:11 PM)

OfflineBuster_Brown
L'une
Male User Gallery

Re: Pope Benedict: "paedophilia in conformity with man and even with children" [Re: Rool Kat]
    #17455762 - 12/27/12 02:15 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Yes, I queried you on the political climate on the subject in Cambodia/N. Vietnam

OfflineRool Kat
Rutabga
Male User Gallery

Re: Pope Benedict: "paedophilia in conformity with man and even with children" [Re: Buster_Brown]
    #17455940 - 12/27/12 02:53 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Buster_Brown said:
Yes, I queried you on the political climate on the subject in Cambodia/N. Vietnam

Lordy, I left there (interesting story, by the way) in July of 1971.  I'm sorry to say that I have no idea what the political climate is like there now. 

Well, not exactly no idea, but no first hand info about the current situation beyond what is in the press.  I read that it's similar to China, only more heavy on the political repression and about the same on encouraging economic entrepreneurship.

How was that linked to the other stuff?  The joke about the pope and the kid is just one I've always enjoyed, poking a finger in the eye of the RC church for their justifying pedophilia.

Just curious.

OfflineBuster_Brown
L'une
Male User Gallery

#17455969 - 12/27/12 02:58 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

So you don't know what the political climate was on the subject while you were there. I just thought that since they kicked our ass their politics might have been different then ours.

OfflineRool Kat
Rutabga
Male User Gallery

#17457232 - 12/27/12 07:05 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Buster_Brown said:
So you don't know what the political climate was on the subject while you were there.

Mea Culpa.  I misread your question and thought you were asking about the climate now.  My bad.  I do, in fact, have an in-depth knowledge of the politics of that time and place.

I'm not sure how to answer your question, because it doesn't lend itself to a neat answer.  I'm not going to duck the question, but I'm not sure I can answer it to your satisfaction.  Here's the deal.

Pedophilia was just not an issue insofar as I could tell.  The vietnamese did have some customs that looked to westerners like homosexuality, but for the most part, it was just a cultural thing, not sexual.  I refer to the custom of male friends walking around, holding hands.  We wouldn't do that, there is a Western cultural phobia about giving the appearance of homosexuality, but the Vietnamese apparently did not get the memo explaining that, so friends held hands.  I believed that most did this just as a gesture of friendship, but there were definitely Vietnamese homosexuals, and they were not in short supply.  The culture did not make a big deal of it like western culture does, so it just sort of faded into the background, unless you had some specific occasion to stumble across it.

On the other hand, there were a lot of American government agencies there that were filled with American homosexuals who had no problems finding young Vietnamese males )but NOT young enough to qualify as targets for pedophiles) for boy friends. 

It often seemed to me that it must have been an employment requirement for USAID* personnel, the majority of them that I encountered (and that was a large number) were homosexuals and badly bent when it came to the contracts that they were involved with.  To a lesser extent, the same was true for the State Department folks.  If there was pedophelia going on, it would have probably been the gay boys in State and especially those in USAID.

There was a fair number of expat contractor personnel who were homosexual and who had been in Vietnam for many years (and obviously planned to say for many more - Poor planing, I guess, but I digress...) because of the permissive atmosphere that prevailed.

Pedophelia involving young girls WAS a cultural taboo, and not an issue worth discussing here, as there was noting unique about it anymore than if we were talking about any western culture, including our own.  I never heard of an instance involving female children.

Quote:

Buster_Brown said: I just thought that since they kicked our ass their politics might have been different then ours.

If you think they kicked out ass, you are badly misinformed, but their politics were uniquely Vietnamese, while at the same time, being driven by motivations universal to all cultures, the search for wealth and Power.  These are not germane to this discussion, but I'm open to a separate discussion of this.  Vietnam was a civil war, and civil wars breed their own unique politics.  (See middle east, or just about anywhere in Africa; all of which have a lot in common with Vietnam of that era.)

We left Vietnam because the political climate in the US caused the Congress to withhold any further funding for the war, making the withdrawal of our Military forces necessary.  We quit the war and took our toys home, we were not beaten in combat.

Since the US government seems to be incapable of learning anything from past wars, the exact thing is going on today in Iraq and Afghanistan, and for the same reason.

*USAID = US Agency for International Development, an element of the State Dept.

Is the above responsive to your questions?  If so, would you please answer my own question regarding your initial post?

OfflineBuster_Brown
L'une
Male User Gallery

#17459683 - 12/28/12 06:29 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Thankyou for the info. PM'd.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale