Home | Community | Message Board

Vaposhop
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop:   Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon Microscope   eBay Lighters

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblenofind_um
Explorer ofEarth
 User Gallery

Loc: At work, at school, at my...
some type of pan subb
    #1744916 - 07/24/03 04:22 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

I have been about the forum for the last few weeks reading and trying to learn as mutch as possible. To be quite honest I'm pretty obsessed about all this mycology. I've got it bad, anyway, it's been 100% humidity here in RI for the last 4 days. Went to a local pasture to see what I could see,(have been making the rounds in my car trying to find good spots, first time I entered into the field), I think I found some panaeolus subbalteatus or another of the panaeolus species. Meets all of the criteria as far as I can tell. The spore print was jet black,(albeit I really didn't wait for the entire print to drop, but after a few hours it was definatly black. They were growing out of cow dung, (reading alot of posts it seems highly unlikly for them to be found in cow dung). I'm looking for a good heap of horse manure and rotting hay/soil compost. The above is a picture of the possible pan subb, but they didn't come out good. like I said they follow all physical characteristics of pan subbs. What is the general concensus for finding pan subbs on cow dung here in rhode Island.. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here are a few pics of some non actives that I've been finding.

Inky caps?? and ??

--------------------
My hunting partner is gone, I miss her so!

Edited by nofind_um (07/24/03 10:20 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineGumbyM
Fishnologist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: BRICK CITY!
Trusted Identifier
Re: some type of pan subb [Re: nofind_um]
    #1744931 - 07/24/03 04:27 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

It's hard to say but I think the yellowish one might be an immature Amanita. No clue on the species... perhaps A. muscaria var. formosa, then again it could be A. pantherina. Not worth your time, either way :\

Invisiblenofind_um
Explorer ofEarth
 User Gallery

Re: some type of pan subb [Re: Gumby]
    #1744943 - 07/24/03 04:32 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks gumbydude, that's what I figured on the amanita, didn't waste my time on it. There were quite a few of them around that area. I wish I would have gotten some good pic's of the pan subs in question. I'm still getting the distance of focus down on my digital cam.

--------------------

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #1744951 - 07/24/03 04:34 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

As Gumby said, the first one looks like an Amanita. To identify Amanitas to species we need a lot more information. For example, we need to see the volva (base of the stem and cuplike tissue around it) in detail. We also need to know about the odor, and any bruising reactions. There are a lot of yellow to brown capped Amanitas, so identification of them can be somewhat difficult, and may even require a microscope.

In any event, Amanita is not a good genus for putting in your mouth. There are more deaths from Amanitas than all other kinds of mushrooms combined.

The others look like inky caps, Coprinus, as you guessed. The most likely species is Coprinus micaceus. To verify that ID, look at the caps closely with a magnifier and see if there are tiny mica-like (like glitter) particles. If there are, then that's what they are.

Coprinus micaceus is edible while the gills are still white.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Invisiblenofind_um
Explorer ofEarth
 User Gallery

Re: some type of pan subb [Re: ToxicMan]
    #1745075 - 07/24/03 05:20 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks toxic man. I agree on the amanita, didn't even think about it thanks to posts I read here at the shroomery. It fruited, spored and dissintegrated long ago.
I've been having a good time finding photographing and identifying several types of mushrooms. Here's one I havn't ID'ed yet.. what do you guys think...
It was pretty big like 4 or 5 inches high, and the cap was about 3 in. in diameter. I thought it might be some kind of russela??

--------------------

OfflineGumbyM
Fishnologist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: BRICK CITY!
Trusted Identifier
    #1745106 - 07/24/03 05:27 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Looks like it's got a good potential of being a Russla or some type of Bolete... We'd have to see the underside of the cap to be sure.

InvisibleZippoZM
Knomadic
 User Gallery

Loc: Pongyang, North Korea
Re: some type of pan subb [Re: Gumby]
    #1745508 - 07/24/03 07:54 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

i cant really see why you thought either of these mushrooms could be pan subb? were you jsut being hopeful

anyways welcome to the shroomrey!

--------------------
PEACE

:mushroom2:zippoz:mushroom2:

"in times of widespread chaos and confusion, it has been the duty of more advanced human beings - artists, scientists, clowns, and philosophers - to create order. In such times as ours however, when there is too much order, too much m management, too much programming and control, it becomes the duty of superior men and women and women to fling their favorite monkey wrenches into the machinery. To relieve the repression of the human spirit, they must sow doubt and disruption"

"People do it every day, they talk to themselves ... they see themselves as they'd like to be, they don't have the courage you have, to just run with it."

Invisiblenofind_um
Explorer ofEarth
 User Gallery

Re: some type of pan subb [Re: ZippoZ]
    #1745933 - 07/24/03 10:13 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

No, I was posting a pic of pan subbs?? that I found today. And the pics were total crap. so I just lost my train of thought and posted some non actives that I had found last week..
This is the best picture I have, I'm still new at taking digital pictures. And the detail isn't very good. The physical characteristics resemble pan subbs, (white at the gill edges), stem hollow), Jet Black spore print!!!!

--------------------

Invisiblenofind_um
Explorer ofEarth
 User Gallery

#1745938 - 07/24/03 10:14 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks for the reply zippos....

--------------------

Anonymous

#1746030 - 07/24/03 10:50 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

- Post History Deleted Upon User's Request -

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
Re: some type of pan subb [Re: ]
    #1747469 - 07/25/03 10:26 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

We don't get many people here finding them and posting about it from your state.

-This is the first i have ever heard of Rhode Island Shroomerite picking Pan subbalteatus.

They sure do look like them, and the habitat matches up.
The pictures are not the best, but they must be subbs. (?)

Keep on shroomin,
GGreatOne234

Invisiblenofind_um
Explorer ofEarth
 User Gallery

Re: some type of pan subb [Re: GGreatOne234]
    #1748393 - 07/25/03 03:47 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Great,,,, Now for the good and bad.... My 4 straight days of 100% humidity has gone belly up.. I'm now at about 82 f. and 54% humidity...I'm going back tonight hopefully a few are still around... They were located in a very shady moist area, I think it sees sun in the A.M. and shade in the afternoon... I found a few in the woods today, (just looking off to the side, had a minute at work), LBM's,,, Unknown species,, brown spore print's. Didn't think they were going to be anything.... But they were growing out of some decaying birch, I found them a few days ago when they were pinning, wednesday july 23, and today friday, july 25 they had pretty much run thier cycle.. I was hoping to find the infamous blue foot. (p. caerulipe)no luck.... will post back with results and hopefully better pictures...

--------------------

Invisiblenofind_um
Explorer ofEarth
 User Gallery

#1750173 - 07/26/03 05:24 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Well I went back to the area, early in the A.M. got up to the fence and what did I see??? The cows were right there bedding down, in the same exact spot I found the mushrooms there were now cows.. I didn't dare start nosing around, that's all I need at 4:00 am is a bunch of cows howling.. Oh well I guess I'll go back later and see how it looks.

--------------------

OfflineSev
Astropath
Loc: NY
    #1773366 - 08/02/03 06:06 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

nofind_um said:
Thanks toxic man. I agree on the amanita, didn't even think about it thanks to posts I read here at the shroomery. It fruited, spored and dissintegrated long ago.
I've been having a good time finding photographing and identifying several types of mushrooms. Here's one I havn't ID'ed yet.. what do you guys think...
It was pretty big like 4 or 5 inches high, and the cap was about 3 in. in diameter. I thought it might be some kind of russela??

I have something like that growing out of my lawn, all over the place. It's got the same pinkish coloring on the stem, same shade of the cap, everything. It's a gilled mushroom, the inside of the stem isn't hollow and isn't solid ... 'stuffed' is the word that comes to mind...gill are, IIRC, attached. Drops a white spore print.

--------------------
"Do we want the stars? We can have them. Can we borrow cups of fire from the sun? We can and must and light the world." --"On the Shoulders of Giants", Ray Bradbury

All of my posts are full of fiction and blatant lies.

Offlineaminitaman
FUK THAGOVERNMENT,IMSMOKIN' BLUNTSAND LOVIN' IT

Loc: Tha BlueGrass State,Kentu...
Re: some type of pan subb [Re: Sev]
    #1773903 - 08/02/03 10:20 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Ha,sounds like you've had an interesting adventure,keep tha good work up!And very nice pics.

--------------------
its tha big parafenizzle
with tha big mushroomizzle
ya gotta know its off tha hizzle

Invisiblesilence
Stranger
Re: some type of pan subb [Re: aminitaman]
    #1775420 - 08/03/03 02:37 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

This thread shows a few pics of pan subbs in situo:

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat...;o=&fpart=1

The most obvious features of pan subb are the dark spore print and the belting on the cap around the margin (older shrooms). Also note the spotting on the gills and three-tiered gill formation as shown in the closeup image in above thread.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop:   Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon Microscope   eBay Lighters

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification